/daily/ - "why is everyone gone" edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts and do topster-related stuff but better

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>please actually use plug this time

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff. If you're new this is a good place to start

discord.gg/s5Rv7zJ
>talk shit

Previously, on /daily/

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/rambutan/universal-impulses/
youtube.com/watch?v=IvTNBbFkq4w
youtu.be/OeyRNN7m9F8
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/sun_ra/god_is_more_than_love_can_ever_be/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/lula-cortes-e-ze-ramalho/paebiru/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/mx_80_sound/crowd_control/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/bukka_white/mississippi_blues/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/paul_baribeau/grand_ledge/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

fuck /daily/

first for shoegaze

I keep on coming back to this one. It encapsulates this specific psych-folk subgenre I've been trying to catalog pretty perfectly. Note the production--I think they nailed whatever specific, ambivalent vibe they were going for here (maybe in this subgenre at large). Pastoral, creepy, organic. 8/10

I could kill for an EPIC MEME right about now tbqhwyf.

Got anything epicer?

@gfr

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/rambutan/universal-impulses/

haven't actually listened to this but whatever
good pic

Good Friend Rodriguez
I have my recommendation
there's not even a RYM page for the band
unreleased 1992 dreampop demo:
youtube.com/watch?v=IvTNBbFkq4w

That's pretty epic.

But this is extraordinary. Good job.

don't do this anymore

wow that's 1 angery snibbo

beetss have been my recent flavor
youtu.be/OeyRNN7m9F8

recommend me a good album that has a floating/falling/lying down person on the cover

This is canon

already got it on my list :)

stay out of /rym/

thanks.

Is there any good Sun Ra that you think I haven't heard? Seeing the Arkestra tonight and want to get in the mood.

Bjork - Vespertine
The Cardigans - Life
Iceage - Plowing Into The Field Of Love
Jenny Hval - Apocalypse, Girl
Some of these may not exactly fit yr criteria but I dunno

Morning /daily/!
Joe Henderson and coffee.

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/sun_ra/god_is_more_than_love_can_ever_be/

had two really comfortable albums this time around, it was a ballshair to being a draw but ultimately Jimmy Jazz wins, listened to both multiple times

Richard Dawson - The Magic Bridge
This is the perfect 4AM last cig in the pack kinda album to throw on, just as the sun is coming up y'kna mean? It strikes me just how good the lyricism is here, this is Joanna Newsom levels of clearly thought out imagery (not quite Only Skin, but you get the point...). So he doesn't have the greatest voice and struggles on the high notes a bit, but paired with that equally frail guitar it outstrips it's very apparent flaws and becomes just the loveliest thing, anything out of place and it wouldn't work at all

Svitlana Nianio - Kytytsi
Something I will be revisiting in the future, kinda reminded me of that one Sybyll Baier album I listened to except every song is as good as the first track from that album (a similar thing could be said about Vashti Bunyan's Just Another Diamond Day, although I look very favourably on that album for some reason, even though the only thing I remember from it is the first track and that she pretty much ripped the melody straight from twinkle twinkle little star at one point... Maybe on repeat listens or the passage of time this album will head in a similar direction...hmmm... I digress) It's good

Well done both of you, heartily and sincerely

Hey check out this tourney buddy :^)

I saw it you fuckin hoser, I saw it the first (two) times it was pointed out to me
you won by less than half a point...

join my shit tourney

telstar drugs - telstar drugs

I know I'm just being a shithead.
I'm reading Anatomy of Fascism right now that you rec'd someone who isn't me a little while ago, enjoying it so far.
I'll join, gimme a couple minutes for a rec.

Flourishing - Intersubjectivity

Keith Hudson & Soul Syndicate - Nuh Skin Up Dub

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/lula-cortes-e-ze-ramalho/paebiru/

Yeah, Kytysti can be a bit overlong, but it's high points are really good.

Patty Waters - Sings

Indian Summer - Science 1994

yo Paxton is legit, although his argument is a little flawed because he claims to establish a "fascist minimum" (i.e an authoritative minimum requirements for a social movement to be considered "fascist") yet his methodology for analysis is based upon their development rather than their actual description. For instance, the last step Paxton points towards for fascist movements to take is Entropy or Radicalisation,yet he is only able to draw upon two, maybe three examples (being Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy and maybe Franco's Spain although it's a bit of a stretch)
His overall ideas are sound, and the book is still a REALLY good introduction to academic study of Authoritarianism, but what he's arguing presumes a conclusion too hard

If you enjoy that book and want to read more (by proxy getting a semester of historical study ABSOLUTELY FREE), read Kershaw's Nazi Dictatorship, Arendt's Eichmann in Jerusalem and Browning's Ordinary Men

brain spoof over

is that different to Nuh Skin Up because I've heard that

I'll make a note of those, thanks. I'm only on Chapter 2 so I can't comment on your critiques, but I guess any good essay has points that can be challenged.
He does a good job laying out facts and events, so it's easy to formulate your own opinions on the evidence. I'll let you know what I think when I'm finished.

I thought it was ok length wise, I listened to it on a 40 minute day trip to a fishing hamlet today

>looked at the length on RYM
whoo boy maybe I spent longer in that car than I first imagined

nah it aint check out Dance Hall Style by Horace Andy instead

10 spots to fill

Duke Ellington - Blues in Orbit

gowns - red state

Broadcast - The Noise Made By People

Hyped for Sun Ra Arkestra

Joshua Abrams - Magnetoception

American Music Club - California

yeeoo
what's my prize

Name one (1)

uh........um...........

>

reserving

dats me btw

>

Mark Fry - Dreaming with Alice :^)

ROME - Die Æsthetik der Herrschaftsfreiheit

in

Solid Space - Space Museum

is there room?
>dso / svest - veritas diaboli

You must be mistaken, this is the only known picture of a /daily/ meetup

Homie on the far right going for the Charleston shooter look

i love this image
roof sportin a better fit than any of them btw

Who is who?

me on the left

Hello!

me with the neck

are you Deakin's distant cousin?

I don't know but I'd give him a good Deakin' if you know what I mean :O

im the manlet

I'm the other manlet who looks like s/he was crafted from dough

All me btw

boringest general :/

james, you are the issue.

please don't call me james ever again

also I'm doing my best

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/mx_80_sound/crowd_control/
I just noticed the Strawberry Switchlade and Tin Drum scores

lame

sorry jambalaya

got you two. anyone else submit something for round 8?

Ignore the cool album art, it's the only high res one I could find. Here's the actual release:
>rateyourmusic.com/release/album/bukka_white/mississippi_blues/

its me

Also, finally listened to Zen Arcade. That is a fuckin loud album. Ton of really amazing songs, too. It's got that strange quality that makes you want to listen again.

Tentative 8/10 or something. Probably going to check out the rest of the Hüsker Dü discog before another listen

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/paul_baribeau/grand_ledge/

Dave

What was your favorite song on this? Pink Turns To Blue or Never Talking To You Again? :}

Me on the left with the satellite dish ears

actually, Name One was Adam, thanks

but in the beginning, there was the word, and the bird is the word

Both of those are obvious contenders. I also really enjoyed "Dreams Reoccurring", "Newest Industry" and "What's Going On" off the top of my head

lord...

Portico Quartet - Knee-Deep in the North Sea (2007)
>chamber jazz

Very pretty and pleasant jazz. The jazzy backings are a bit standard, despite boasting some wonderful drum work, but the hang drum is where it's at. It adds both a chill tropical vibe and a frenetic, pulsing minimalism edge with its repetition of melodies and phrases. Sometimes this repetition makes tracks seem a little bit pointless and never-ending, but the general sound is so pleasant and lovely that it never gets too irritating.

3.0-

Hal Blaine - Psychedelic Percussion (1967)
>psychedelic rock, experimental rock, free jazz, avant-garde jazz

It's really cool to hear a famously restrained drummer so absolutely nuts, but there's not a lot to grab onto here. It's cool sounds and drum solos and not much more. I'm impressed with how well the tracks are able to evoke images of the months they correspond with, but the music itself is kinda trivial, for lack of a better word, it focuses too much on the freak out that there's nothing to ground it. Still, a cool listen.

2.5-

Listen to Leao

Thats not Skip James ya lil fuck

after skip james

aw fuck, sorry. that's now actually next.

nonono actually what jangle is trying to convey is you should SKIP james gedid

oi jangle ya cheeky cunt

Excellent.

if you guys wanna start a party
come on in

Rip P. Oliveros btw

Totally missed when that happened. Hope the ambient noises in heaven are pretty neat

everyone should try listening to the cars in the distance for at least an hour today and pretend its music, in remembrance of her

yo that dog looks high af

can confirm

EVERYONE GET IN
ITS LIT