What's the appeal?

Can anybody explain why these guys aren't universally despised? I see nothing redeeming about their brand of smug, ivy-league "worldbeat" indie pop. If I was a spoiled 17 year old suburban child of wealthy parents I might be able to appreciate their perspective, but since I'm not, I really just want to punch each of them in the throat.

You confuse the artist with the art they produce. Their music doesn't sound smug at all.

their music is a whole nother level of comfy

especially on adderall

Modern Vampires of the City on adderall will make you fall in love with being alive desu

its music for fags like this guy

MVOTC is the best baroque pop album of the decade.

you sound bitter af

good music?

Oxford Comma was an okay song. I don't really hear any smugness in their music but they do suck. Some of their tunes would be better if they sounded interested in what they were doing but they don't. It's the problem with every American indie rock band since Pavement.

Id agree with you if all they ever put out was their S/T but they've improved quite a bit since then. That album is legitimately annoying in the way you're describing, but it seemed like they stripped back the pretension on Contra and just made a really great electro pop record. MVOTC is getting dangerously close to the smug elitism of their first record but the songwriting and production are so much better that it kind of gets away with it.

Passion is overrated and implying that Pavement had much passion is a misjudgment.

please stop giving adderall users a bad name

I was implying they started the whole thing

I never did, fag.

Oh, I see.

They write good melodies and good instrumentation and educated white people like that.

Easy-to-digest yet vapid supposedly "artistic" music that normies can enjoy without thinking too hard so they can feel good about themselves.

>enjoyable music is bad

yikes, kys

Easy to post comments that autists can put down without thinking too much and can feel good about themselves for

First two albums are fun and catchy, but not amazing. MVOTC is awesome though.

t.elitist white males

I'm Persian m8

Never said it wasn't enjoyable - in fact I judge music based on how enjoyable it is for me.

The Beatles and The Beach Boys are two of my favorite bands and their music is enjoyable while not being vapid and boring garbage.

>YOU'RE A FUCKING WHITE MALE

even worse

ah, so you're basic bitch.

got it.

I personally only listen to like-minded ivy league graduates like Vampire weekend.

VW isn't vapid or boring, you're quite simply too pleb for them.

>I was born in le wrong generation XD: the post

gross.

What's up ebin "i twas bourn in le teh bestest jenyuration" nu-males?

ITT: fags

Inauthentic art, then?
Yikes

they've got a pretty innovative sound which is IMO undeniably interesting. Just listen to cape cod kwassa kwassa again, and tell me it's not innovative.

>plays some African drums
>innovative

Come the fuck on. And even if that's somehow innovative the songwriting isn't that good anyway.

It's their only good album désü

They had some good album covers

ITT: Butthurt

god, this board is shit

>VW is so innovative!
>afropop whats that?

ITT: its bad b/c I dont like it

>smug, ivy-league "worldbeat" indie pop
aka starbucks-rock

But I'm not butthurt

It feels good knowing I actually like the artists I like even if they're uncool

BABY
Baby
Baby
Baby
Baby
baby
baby
Baby
Baby
Baby

>The Beatles
>uncool

You can always tell a band sucks by how assblasted their fans get in hate threads.

>people defending music they like means the band sucks

So every band that's ever had fans is shit? holy fucking shit dude, I never knew this.

I guess The Beatles are the worst band of all time now..

and since nobody defends Justin Beiber... he must be a good artist by default, right? Wow, this post really made me think, thanks.

2indie4u

That's a really reductionist way to take in the song. That's not at all what they did. The vocal flickers, the "african drums" (they have names), the variation of rhythm.

Diane Young is barely afropop, it sounds like a demented take on a Huey Lewis song with a jarring surf guitar part jammed inside.

That's probably the most interestingly produced song I've heard this decade outside of The Age of Adz (damn is my whiteness showing?)

I didn't get the hype for Modern Vampires, I consider it their worst record, but that song is just fucking great. S/T is just a really comfy, fun little record and Contra had major commercial appeal. Ezra is a pretty slick songwriter, and Rostam a gifted producer/instrumentalist.

Contra is their worst.

i'm scared to die

None of that is very impressive at all, unless you're describing things in a reductionist way.

>/ac/,/dc/

The problem with many people on this board is that they can't separate music from the image they think it portrays to other people, most likely due to some extreme insecurity.

Songs aren't written to make you think "wow, what geniuses! I sure am impressed."

hannah hunt is bretty gud desu

hardly.
but whatever.
who cares about VW these days anyways

How was Alex? God that was a while ago

It is just paul simon 21st century edition. Calm down op. I like the drumming in the songs though. Plus the lyrics are well crafted. Hannah Hunt is GOAT

it's just forgettable compaired to the other 2

one of the many bands that make worse albums as time goes on
>Vampire Weekend 8/10
>contra 7/10
>MVOTC 4/10

i can wait for their "Currents" to comeout

way off the mark there buddy

8/10
7/10
9/10