Be me

>be me
>going into college in about a year
>need to start thinking about a computer
>want a mid-range desktop, but my parents want me to buy a craptop

TLDR; Collegefags, do I really need a shit-top for college?

Are you really this stupid OP or are you just trolling?

buy a macbook pro

k

For college and gaming or just for college?

and what major? graphic design? Programming? Or just note taking?

A laptop was pretty damn convenient for me. If you have a shitty roommate you may want the ability to fuck off and study elsewhere. If it's also for gaming I can see why you want a desktop.

I'm using a Toshiba laptop from 2008. It was originally a Vista, but it's now a not-genuine 7 professional. Apart from occasional overheating, it's still holding together.

You don't need anything too expensive OP, but if you intend to game as well as study, you should either get a desktop or a laptop from this or last year. Plus, a desktop is harder to steal.

just get a old thinkpad from Ebay.
Literally all modern laptops are trash

If i could get a laptop that will run games and shit decently for 800$ then I would be a happi boi. But I dont think they make them like that.

not going into a computer major

You'd be surprised.

>I miss being able to run RuneScape

What kind of games do you want to play?

except mine, which runs pretty much every game on max settings at 70 fps ;) it aint cheap tho

Are you going for anything dealing with code, music production or animation? If so, then yes. If not, prob not

You can always have them hold your hand while you build it for the same cost

We got a couple apple macbook pros in for the presentation guys, and man, that is a really nicely made hardware package.

Too bad you have to fuck around with Apples backward ass software, or they'd be the nicest laptops made.

In my experience, only arts/humanities students bring laptops to lectures. Science/maths/engineering/medicine students don't really need them because the course notes were mostly paper-based. We had like a couple of programming classes where we were supposed to bring our laptops but I could have easily skipped them and done the exercises at home.

My solution would be, get decent desktop and then ebay a refurb thinkpad for next to nothing off of ebay just in case you need it.

Hey, while all the computer fags are here. I have a question but new threads die in like 2 seconds, so here it is. My laptop (hp pavilion v7 6c21nr) boota up normally, but as soon as im on the desktop, it lags. All applications 3 minutes to open, and when they do, they stop responding the moment i touch it. But, the lag only lasts about 10-20 minutes. It runs perfectly fine on safe mode. No start up apps. Only Microsoft services on boot. I tested the laptop with only 1 ram stick, and then the other. The issue persists.
Please help

Had a similar problem with my old laptop. My clean-up routine was:

1) Switch theme to Windows basic (Win 7 I'm assuming here). Makes a massive difference if your laptop doesn't have an on-board graphics card.

2) CCleaner - run once

3) Uninstall every single bulky program you don't actually need

4) CClean again

5) defrag (if it's a spinny disk hdd).

If none of this works, install Xubuntu or something instead.

if you're doing anything technology wise, you need a laptop.

Chemical engineering fag here at Texas A&M, we take laptop to all classes that are math/engineering it's required. Check your syllabi.

Also, if you ever plan on studying in a group or at the library a laptop is needed. If you can only get one, get the laptop. It's more practical.

no, just notes.
probably economics

Do you think I could just get a HD instead of an SSD, as well as work some more hours at my summer job and pick up a Shitbook off the internet?

Thabks but id rather not switch to linux until most games on steam are ported. Its my (admittedly low tier)gaming laptop. So id rather not switch os.

Cc cleaner not helpful
I basically only have like 5 programs that i use daily. Plus movies and music and photos

Chem engr fag here.

I recommend having both a desktop and a laptop, I have both.

Get a note-taking laptop, you'll most likely be able to view lecture notes as the prof is going over it. Will help a LOT in economics because all of the graphs will have to be fucked into your brain.

For your laptop, get something with flash memory and no disk drive if you care about it being light. (it gets heavy carrying shit around campus)

For your desktop, get a HD and and SSD (for boot drive) or full SSD storage. It helps so much with speed and efficiency.

Get one of the older tablet laptop things. Get a decent dektop. Simple

Also, i'm assuming you'll be building a desktop. DO THAT. You will be able to build a much powerful system for the budget your parents are throwing at you.

Buy a cheap netbook for carry and get yourself a used desktop that you slap a good gpu in