I need to hand in a dissertation proposal for my film history and theory class soon...

I need to hand in a dissertation proposal for my film history and theory class soon, and I have no idea what to write about. Come with suggestions for questions, please

Other urls found in this thread:

thegekdom.com/home/2016/4/30/a-thesis-on-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>wastes his tuition money on an "easy A" course
>can't even get the easy A
>runs to fucking Sup Forums to do his homework for him

Drop out of college and be a plumber or a carpenter. It's not demeaning, they're good jobs and they're always in demand. Higher education isn't for everyone

It's a film production course, I have to take history and theory in addition, which means writing a dissertation. It really sucks, because I hate academic writing.

thegekdom.com/home/2016/4/30/a-thesis-on-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice

me and you both

wrote my dissertation in 2 days and it was living hell, take my wisdom and start that shit early as you can

>going to film school
>not going to films

write a dissertation about the history of cuckolding in western cinema

whats a dissertation?

is that like a senior thesis?

I don't even know. It's an 8000 words essay that discusses a question of your own choosing.

Write about Socrates' notion of an unexamined life is not worth living in reference to Kurosawa's Ikiru.

That's always a go-to topic when you need something quick and succinct to write about.

Argue that a galaxy far far away was actually hell

>be me, fairly intelligent
>yet my autism prevents me from writing good papers
>all college consists of is writing papers

fml

>Plumber
>Not demeaning

Yeah ok, fix my shitter you unwashed blue collar wagecuck.

>Carpenter

Enjoy being replaced by a robot in the next .005 seconds.

Discuss the theological implications present in Batman Vs. Superman.

nah but srsly try something from the based Coens or Tarantulino

OP here. These are my ideas so far. I hate all of them btw

Why do we watch terrible films? (The Room)
What are the issues dealt with in Planet of the Apes?
How do Shyamalan’s films deal with faith in oneself? (Unbreakable, After Earth)
Is the lack of racial diversity in Lord of the Rings problematic?
How does The Deer Hunter show the destructive effects of war?

Sounds like a senior thesis to me.

I'm studying English Lit. (yeah...I know) and for my home university I didn't have to write one of those, but I understand it is unusual not to need to write one.

I'm doing a study abroad at another Uni right now, and the professor told us last week, with three fucking weeks left in the semester, that we have to write one of those too. It's for a Film Theory course too, actually.
My advice, look at 2 or 3 of your favorite films/flicks/kino. Think about why you like them. What do they do right? Find some kind of thematic trend the films share. Write about that.

Hey, that first one has potential.

Try tossing in something about intentionally bad movies and why they're almost universally shit (kung fury) unless they're made with a healthy reverence for the source (Black Dynamite, Hobo With a Shotgun)

Something about the dumbing down of cinema. Blame it on the increased spending power of women, Hollywood making things less and less complicated so foreigners will be able to follow along, and America's culture of Manchildren refusing to grow up.

Here is what you should do:
Step 1: get a real degree
Step2: if you are too stupid for Step 1, leave college and get a job

explain how movies are not art, were never art, and never will be art because they are, were and always will be fundamentally focused on financial gain.

>Machines replacing carpenters

You Automation retards are some hardcore conspiracy theorists.

You tell him Billy Bob, nothing better than cracking open a cold one after a long day of grueling and demanding physical labor making money for someone else to enjoy, I tell you what

His alternative is working at McD. So yes, that may be better.

>Plumbing
>physically demanding

You're either a girl or a spoiled child.

>explain how movies are not art, were never art, and never will be art because they are, were and always will be fundamentally focused on financial gain.
This is an interesting idea, and it's very viable for a paper. I took a film history class years ago and we spent a whole lecture on this topic. There are lots of well-supported sources OP could use to argue this position. I can't recall any of the titles or authors off the top of my head, but there are a number of famous (within academia, at least) texts to be referenced, if he researches properly.

But just to incite discussion.... Why can't something that is "fundamentally focused" on financial gain NOT be art? Artists like Yves Klein and Andy Warhol challenged this idea in the 1950s and 1960s quite succesfully.

Even earlier, there was a French artist named Pierre/Peter(?) Manzoni that did a series of works playing with this concept. For example, he literally took a shit in a metal can, and sold it in his exhibitions for 10,000 dollars. He called it "Mierda d'artiste". The entire work was about shitting upon the concept of art, and proving that arts primary directive was/is to make money. The dude was an absolute madman. Fascinating concept though.

It is if you're laying pipe.