How did the SilkRoad founder get caught and site shut down, if everything was 100% anonymous and encrypted?

How did the SilkRoad founder get caught and site shut down, if everything was 100% anonymous and encrypted?

Also general darknet thread

Other urls found in this thread:

movieshub.tv/deep-web/
mastermind.atavist.com/
putlocker.is/watch-citizenfour-online-free-putlocker.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

CIA paid off Mozilla to install a trojan in their tor plugin

Anyone accessing Silk Road through Firefox was sending unencrypted data back to the CIA

I guess everything wasn't anonymous and encrypted...

GOSH I WONDER

I'd take a moment to learn about security and exploits. There's no such thing as 100% anonymous, I might be able to just track you down to a tor relay, but if I can exploit your browser you're done for either way.

Is this what really happened or just some conspiracy crap?

If so, fuck Mozilla I'm not using thier shit anymore

Got a better alternative? I really hope you aren't thinking of Chrome.

I head darknet 2 got shut down too. Both owners of SilkRoad 1 and 2 got put in for life.

SilkRoad 3 is up and running I belive, only a matter of time before they get sentenced to life too kek

Can some faggot post that meme with the guy with glasses and long hair .

He was mouthing off in an open forum with no proxies and let slip who he was. And the rest is history

this is not really true. FBI designed a javascript exploit that would reveal a user's true IP. The default TOR bundle left javascript enabled which allowed the vulnerability to be exploited.

If you want a good movie about it, watch Deep Web, I think it's on Netflix. There's definitely some shady shit going on with the FBI. A couple of agents took bitcoins worth a lot of money in the raid and were convicted.

This. If TOR were anonymous from the government - it would be illegal to use.

The agent in charge of this investigation was caught stealing 800k in bitch ins from the founder, and today it was revealed that he stole even more money kek.

There's also a non-trivial amount of evidence that Ross Ulbricht was framed

Tripsman speaks truth. More likely that homeboy got sloppy than it is that the incompetents who staff government positions were any good at their jobs.

Don't get sloppy, retards.

OK I'm getting three different answers here. Which one really is it?

:)

Why was the founder arrested? What charges did he get?

Will def watch that movie.... Thanks

Occam's razor, you fuckwit. If you're just going to listen to retards on the internet, you're never going to know the truth about anything.

:)

1. Fuck off fag, this is just a discussion

2. Nice pins you bought from eBay. Are they genuine, or like knockoffs from China?

money laundering, conspiracy to traffic narcotics, and computer hacking.

Now get this: He was sentenced to LIFE WITHOUT PAROLE

First day on dad's laptop, son?

Metadata they tracked him down as a suspect talking about the silk road using his real name like an idiot then he changed his emails blah blah till he became dreadpirateroberts they tracked him down to the cafe he was using a vpn which did encrypt everything but the tard stood up with his computer unlocked when the lady said your coffee is ready fbi agent saw his screen and boom busted

fuck reaks of summer

It's only 100% anonymous if you take additional precautions.

For eg, the BBC did on a story on a pedo who got caught. He had an usual greeting "hiyas". So the Feds searched the surface web and found a facebook account that used that greeting.

The pedo in on Tor had a mole on his hand and the guy on FB had the same, so they arrested him, took over his site and caught dozens of pedos.

All Tor sites that get shut down are through human error.

If I recall it was rather simple. The owner of silkroad was just a dumbass. Used his real identity on the website, his email got released and so on. From there the feds easily tracked down the server the site was registered to, shut it down and arrested the owner. No hacking necessary. The later websites were hacked through javascript exploits I believe.

Found of SilkRoad 1 got arrested for procuring murder (paid 800k total to 6 different people to kill someone and they ran off with his money lmao) and hacking and also drug trafficking. Life in prison in Manhattan detention center nyc.

SilkRoad 2 was created by his friend, also got caught. Life in prison.

SilkRoad 3 idk anything about

you just bought one of those cheap gift shop pins didnt you.

>implying this isn't the case with every browser at this point
unless you're using your own encryption your shit is fucked
Just don't be big enough to warrant actual effort on the part of the authorities and you can do whatever the fuck you want.

Close. They found his email address tied to an old forum post on Austrian economics and correlated that email address to his ip. That email address also was in 1 post/account on TOR. And then they setup a sting and surveilled and arrested him. Pretty dumb.

woops, meant Silk Road, not TOR

owner of silkroad thought those hitmen sites were real? lol idiot

>watch Deep Web

Just watched it last night actually: Here: movieshub.tv/deep-web/

I'd say it tells it pretty straight. They wanted to convict him, so they didn't' allow a lot of evidence to be used on his behalf. Typical government. But we allow it, so fuck us. Maybe in a few more years a small group of us will get organized and start to take back what's ours. Till then, fuck us.

But how did they know that email was tied to something bad?

Also how did they know it was used on TOR if it's an anonymous connection?

These maybe stupid questions but I'm sorta lost here.

holy shit you have terrible handwriting

In a thread like this, I ain't clicking that shit nigga. Rather just search it on Netflix or some shit kek

Fuck off asshole

So how did they know some random email on the Internet was possibly tied to something huge.

Funny played deep web got on b first thread I saw this 1

you see the email pubicly in his post on Tor

that's stale

They found that email on an account on Silk Road after they raided their servers. Email is not anonymous in any way so it's very easy to correlate IPs with email addresses.

Once they found that email address on a silk road server, they searched the internet for more and got that IP information through National Security Letters with gag orders so the server owners couldn't notify Ross.

Pretty routine, unfortunately. I think the javascript vulnerability that deanonymized a whole bunch of TOR users is still secret and the FBI is fighting not to have it released.

Or you could just google the address and see it's a typical HD movie site. What are you worried about?

Such a fucking flawed statement.
>Occams Razor
>it's used to decide scientific direction and doesn't apply to retards on the internet deciding what information is "true" or "false" in the first place

why so buttblasted?

Nothing man, just high as fuck and paranoid

his email was publicly viewable on ST because he made a post using it.

The Feds decided to search for it on the clear net in case he was stupid enough to screw up and use it there. He was.

Getting your IP on the clear net is as easy as showing a warrant. He was then arrested.

Ha! Ok, that makes a little more sense then.

Ross's case is a perfect illustration of just how out of control the modern FBI is. Hoover set them loose to be his own secret police and no president since has had the balls to stand up to them. They routinely hide/destroy evidence and rarely play within the bounds of the law. In Ross's case they deanonymized thousands of TOR users just to find him, a serious breach of ethics.

or a National Security Letter

Thanks for answering. Made things a bit clear. I guess Dark Net will make it clearer. How is this so called Javascript vulnerability used? Like does it come with all tor installs or do you have to download something to get it?

This. And also if you're going to fuck around, you better have at least several layers of protection and traps set up so you know when shit has been breached and they have started to look for you. He was lazy and believed no one would ever find him. Then by the time he acted to cover his ass it was too late.

He was sloppy, they matched his style of writing with other bits of information such as activity time for patterns, usernames that had same or similar names etc.

People forget what they do online is usually there forever. 1 mistake can be found many years down the line.

you only have to have javascript enabled in your browser for it to work. If I recall, once the FBI capture a TOR exit node and were able to embed this javascript vulnerability in a 1x1 pixel image on the page so you would never see it.

>A national security letter (NSL) is an administrative subpoena issued by the United States federal government to gather information for national security purposes. NSLs do not require prior approval from a judge.

Woah, so the govt can just spy on you and your Internet connection and stuff without any approval at all? Is this constitutional?

JavaScript itself is a common programming language used for front end web application development. Although, it can be used for certain types of hacks such as XSS, the only way it can get an IP address is accessing a Java applet that a user has installed. Note, JavaScript and Java are different

Library

He tried getting an undercover CIA agent to kill a non undercover CIA agent

Since this seems like the right audience. If you're interested in Ross's case, you also might be interested in the story of the author of the encryption software TrueCrypt.

Great 7 piece series here: mastermind.atavist.com/

Basically computer genius who goes rogue and becomes a crime boss. Really long but I swear it's worth the read.

For example route your traffic though a 'fake' laptop that you pay someone to use in public places. When the Fed arrest the fall guy they get nothing. But you get the advantage of the intel and traffic coming from public places. It looks like you hacked the laptop and your buddy goes free. It's a win - win but costs money and time of course. Don't be lazy and stupid or you go to jail.

Yeah fuck the FBI. Bunch of power tripping mother fuckers. They're shady too. If any FBI agent is reading this, please don't kill me. I have a right to the 1st ammendme, you fuckers are fishy.

Many countries will have something like this in place.

Bump for dpr

Unfortunately yes. After 911 our judicial system went a little haywire and allowed stuff like this. Important fact: It's technically illegal to even acknowledge that you have been served one.

That's why when google discloses the number they have received they have to include a range and it includes zero. Something like 0 to 1100.

Scary..

No, but they can make up evidence as to HOW they got you in the first place. So they find things that fit the narrative and it sticks.

This is the issue we are facing today. They can lock up anyone they want, whenever they want and we can't even use the laws which are there to protect us.

So the govt sends a letter to Google saying for them to give us the ip of person A, and they have to comply?

For everyone in this thread, I suggest you watch CitizenFour if you haven't yet. It's available or free online.

yes

called the NSA not spying on people.

Yes, they can also request much more detailed information such as location data over a period of years or all IP login information to your account and build a network. The kicker: they cannot notify you by law that they have handed over your records to gov't.

Damn that's some scary shit... REALLY scary shit. I'd never trust the govt like that

This is why foreign VPNs have become all the rage nowadays. Even though there are alliances such as the five eyes or fourteen eyes that work together to collect intelligence. So in these countries it's not as easy to escape US surveillance if at all.

On it user. Thanks!

putlocker.is/watch-citizenfour-online-free-putlocker.html

Unless you're stoned. Then don't click on the link. :p

that is why I don't use google.

>He was sloppy,

he was so sloppy and dumb the FBI even visited him and interviewed him about some fake IDs he ordered and he did not take the hint and get rid of all the evidence and move to Belize.

Unfortunately you never had to the choice whether to trust them or not. It was never voted on by the general public.

Bro almost every one does this. Privacy is a thing of the past

Google owns so much of the Internet's infrastructure that it's almost impossible to get away from it. In addition, the vast majority of the internet infrastructure is inside the US or at least the traffic goes through the US so it's very easy to find at least one company to get data from.

I wondered this. So is VPN even a safe option anymore? I guess technically nothing from your location is every really safe. You need to decouple from the first location and originate packets from a second to really be safe.

Snowden is a God damn fucking Patriot. Thank God he exposed those fishy mother fuckers NSA. And what they were doing. Who knows wtf they are still doing today.

that's why you should only use a Russian based VPN that only takes payment in bitcoins

Kek really? What a dumbass. Missed his opportunity to run away.

But your traffic from your home to them is the issue, no?

VPN is not a silver bullet. The NSA has lists of VPN endpoints that they share with other agencies like FBI/CIA, so if they wanted to find you they could. But here's the thing, you have to make yourself stand out from the crowd to be targeted by the FBI/NSA/CIA so anything you can do to blend in is best.

That's why if you download the TOR browser, it sets the window to a generic resolution like 1024x768 because it's so common and warns you if you try to resize the window. User-agent plays a big role too.

They caught him using old fashioned police work

If you want to go on tor and be user to trade some photos then run away that's easy

If you want to run servers and a business that makes tens of millions of dollars per year net profit that is up 24/7 and deals with user support and keeping the lights on it's very easy to fuck up, especially if they are actively looking for the person profiting from that business

Think about it, he was trying to be the CEO of a super secret ebay and keep every single thing user?

he should have moved to a country where that was not a crime and did not extradite, he simply could not stay user forever

This isn't what brought down silk road.

The architect of it (Dread Pirate Roberts) had used some type of similarly named on-line handle or posted on topic with similar language to his recent activity on some long forgotten message board. The feds now had an old IP address and they went from there to connect the dots.

Had he kept his mouth shut he'd very likely still be a ghost.

Bitcoins are not anonymous and the block chain contains all bitcoin transactions from the beginning. If they wanted to, they would find you.

There are newer emerging technologies like zerocoin that seek to offer anonymous, decentralized payments.

there is already a new silk road up.

>tfw the guy they caught was actually the hit and they got the FBI to do it for him

he logged into the server with his actual email. a big fuck up and thats how they found him. he admitted it openly. all these faggots are retarded

This is sort of hard to comprehend as someone who's not a tech junkie but eh I get your point

You're god damn right

I Dont think any country in the world let's selling big amounts of drugs legal. Even then, the fbi and NSA still spy on people overseas. You're never safe.

This

The encryption being sound is irrelevant when every one gets caught by mistakes they make in the physical/unencrypted world.

Fuck off asshole

yup, opsec is extremely important.

also trips

This is also a very valid point.