If Linux is so good then why isn't everyone using it?

If Linux is so good then why isn't everyone using it?

also which distro is not a botnet?

Install Gentoo

Fedora is great
using it for a while now

It has a moderate learning curve to do anything worthwhile and that is too much hassle for Windows users and Macfags.

>Implying popularity equals quality.

Debian is the best distro.

gentoo/funtoo

Why do you say that? Additionally, which release do you run?

I run Debian but Linux mint is Debian based and good for newbies and non noobs too.

Linux is good indeed but for computer literates. I use Ubuntu Linux for example: it is considered ‘for beginners’ kind of distribution but it fulfills all my needs. I couldn’t go for Arch or Gentoo – they are for gut-dwellers, not scared of terminal abyss window, but that distribution is ideal for me: it got gongs and whistles and everything I need from computer. Still I had to figure out some nasty things that occurred after installation. Several rules of thumb also help to run and maintain the system. Some say Ubuntu is malware, botnet even, but I have no choice – stick to that distro for good and evil to come (hope the latter never comes tho).

I've used Debian based OS's for the most part. I think the best Buntu is MATE, but only mess with Buntu or Mint if you're starting out on Gnu&Linux.
The fags on Sup Forums seem to like the Gentoo based OS's. Arch seems based as fuck but I can't tell you for sure cause when I installed it on a VM it worked until I couldent get a desktop up or the fucking thing to update.

i think so too, debian has most drivers, APT (my fav) and many tools. If you are not a gamer, try Debian.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of aptitude.

I am a 5 years ubuntu user. Is the pain of switching to debian worth it?

Probably. I don't use either and haven't in a while, not personally at least. Though I will state that if you're already using Ubuntu, it's worth switching to Debian.

Xbunti

you use pacman? i never really tried another one than APT, its cause i startet with ubuntu

i dont want to make you switch if everything is ok atm, remember: never change a running system!

Windows xp

ghosts and goblins.

Yes. Currently I run Arch and use pacman. I've always preferred it over Apt. Just personal preference really, though I feel the commands and functionality are nicer, as well as oddly more aesthetically pleasing in use.

While this is generally a good rule to follow, you don't have to. Change isn't always bad, just remember you don't need to fix something that isn't broken. If you want to change, change. There's no real harm in doing so.

Since lots of people hate on arch, my current uptime on Arch is 35 Days with a laptop.

>Implying systemd distros are not botnet shit

Arch masterrace checking in

Arch could be best if there wasn't systemd.
Archfag reporting

>Implying

arch here,
I like apt, but the aur has stopped me from wanting to go anywhere else.

I still dual boot for games.

It's free, so people who develop it aren't motivated enough to make it user friendly ( Although you can use easy distros) Also, kids windows because it's got all the gayms and they get used to it so they stick with it. Honestly, linux is a better OS but windows currently has a lot more programs for literally everything.
>inb4 wine
It can be unstable sometimes, but Linux is becoming more supported and newbie friendly each day.

Because industries refuse to train people. Not many programs are supported by Linux. Regular people can't into more than a brainless clickedy clack.

Gentofags use arch wiki and there is a reason for it

Everyone IS using Linux. Not that they are aware of tho
Manjaro user here. Used to use Ubuntu.

Who doesn't use arch wiki?

>Android
>servers
You meant desktop Linux I think

True

fedora mate compiz spin

manjaro is love

for a webserver is better debian or centos?

Anyone here use Weston/ Wayland at all?

Centos is one of the best supported server OSs
But debian is a close second

Centos is normally everyone's choice only because it mimics RHEL

I recently stepped out of my windows box and started using ubuntu. It took me a few days to get everything set up but I really like it. The only thing I dont like is the lack of game compatibility.

Windows and Mac users are usually not wanted in to the linux scene so people will intentionally weed them out by posting all solutions as a command line job.

GNU/Linux doesn't need you, you need GNU/Linux

Ubuntu is a good OS, I use it on all my computers and I am a freelance developer. I even have alot of games running on my desktop under Ubuntu.

>Implying the best quality isnt the most popular
How does It feel to know Linux is you in highschool while Windows was the star athlete who has a successful life?

This.

Depends on what you play. Especially indie games and the sort nowadays also made for GNU/Linux as editors make exporting for multiple platforms so easy and libraries like SDL are so widespread. The more popular games often run well enough on wine (I guess there are exceptions but I haven't ran into any recenty.) Though wine of course does mean you have to go through a little extra trouble by going to the wine appdb and see what other people have done to make the program work or work more efficiently.

Yes by stealing your resources.
>muh bloat

atleast in my school the star athletes didn't really do anything with their life. The loners and nerds rule the world.

I dont do a lot of pc gaming these days (Iuse my sons computer for that if i need to) and everything I do play is through steam. It hasnt been a huge inconvenience and I'm sure if I tried hard enough Id find a way to play most of the games id want to (that I'd be able to on this old laptop).

hey use Linux mint, i love that´s distro

Among Linux users, mint is frowned upon.

what a helpful community

thanks for the vital input

Use the debian-based version. It allows updates and is faster than the ubuntu-based version.

I'm a Linux user, but I don't necessarily frown upon it as a noob distro.

By "everyone" I assume you mean the vocal minority which also includes fans of certain genres of popular music and an odd fascination with seeing movies they know will not be enjoyable.

I'm a Ubuntu user and a Windows user and I use Macs too if need be. Because I don't really give a fuck what I code on so long as I keep getting paid as well as I do to do it.

I never understood why anyone cares. It's just a different tool. Ubuntu is fine, I use it a lot.

another reason people don't like using linux is this. They start going into it but linux users are mostly rude so they push people away from linux.

So this thread is Zed?

Zed Bias

The biggest reason for posting the solutions to most problems as command line versions is the fact there's no unified GUI for GNU/Linux. There's a great amount of distros there and a damn large amount of different of GUIs/desktop environments too, so the easiest way is to take the general route that works on every system and say the command line version.

so true, the linux communtiy is pretty toxic frequently. Ask a stupid question about windows, no problem.. ask a intermediate question about linux, die noob.

Why haven't I ever seen this sort of behaviour, then. I heard it shouted out on Sup Forums all the time but still haven't seen any concrete examples. You could post forums replies or something of people being rude to new users or something, you know, to make the point more concrete.

A moderate learning curve to do anything worthwhile was acceptable in the 1970's and 1980's. Users no longer need to "learn" a modern OS in order to get work done.

Linux, however, has stayed in the dark ages. And not so much "because lol Linux", but because of the way FOSS works, it's requirements, and how it's supported. Which is all great for people willing to learn it to get a task done. But in 2016 your average user has moved beyond that kind of thing.

>more supported and newbie friendly each day
you are talking about the specific distros faggot not Linux

The only reason people have to "learn" to use a modern desktop distro (like Amazon-Ubuntu) is the fact they're used to the Windows-way of doing things.

This is accurate. Especially considering the Windows approach to things is fuck-all-terrible.

If you are prepared to view Readme's and man pages you are good to go.

What the fuck do people have against readme's and man pages? For fuck sake.

Dickhead! I was being serious. i started reading them in 1997 and still refer to them.
you must be a newfag

man pages are gay by definition. Please be gentoo with me.

I'm serious too. They're perfectly reasonable and helpful, but people are afraid to put in the effort and read them to learn shit.

Gentoo: because being a control freak means watching megabytes of compilation logs scroll up for hours on end

you are forgiven
I thought you might go all Darl McBride on me

T-Thanks.

if by "success" you mean "professional career kicks off gloriously, few years into the career the success starts going to his head & makes front page news in various publications over legal battles so often that some publications probably consider permanently reserving a portion of the publication for him for the next twenty years and counting, isn't the star he was in the beginning anymore, but is doing well enough that isn't probably going away for many years", then yes, Windows is a success, at the same time Linux is "quiet, hard worker, hardly visible to general public, held in high regard in his industry, a few "experts" who have no real experience in the industry to speak of insist he's just an amateur who everyone in certain specialized sectors of the industry rely on for some reason that doesn't make any sense & he could never 'make it' in 'the real world', doesn't really care that others are making tons of money thanks to him, he's just happy to be able to do what he likes & that he can be of use to others"

kek

and inherent issues with driver firmwares then security problems
with kernel updates the complete
lack of consideration by hardware vendor security and performance
the absolute lack of power saving

yeah the learning curve is if it don't
work make a script that does it then
that comes with 4 million problems

Try that again in English.

be of phone hound correctly spell automation

gr8 b8 m8, 3/8

This not only applies to operating systems, but real life as well.

The only distros I've run recently: Ubuntu and CentOS (also, Kali, but it's obv not for general use).

Ubuntu was nothing but trouble. Haven't had any problems with CentOS.

What sort of "trouble"?

Linux loses out because manufacturers and software developers prefer to provide support and configurations for Windows and not Linux. I prefer Linux, but I use Windows because I can't be assed dealing with all the compatibility issues associated with running Linux OS's. If I want to test on Linux I just use a virtual machine.

then Mac: in the beginning not really a nerd but not a jock either, got plagiarized by Windows early on which helped the latter to become a success, got by thanks to certain industries liking what he was doing until one day he re-invented himself & finally became a success, has a cult-like following that borders religion, some call him a scam but he doesn't really care, he gives people what they (think they-) want, isn't hurting anybody & it's making him rich.

Unbuntu and debian are basically the same.

Your pc is a botnet itself by hardware. No matter which OS you have, you can always get rekt. If you like Windows, get "Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB".

Which compatibility issues do you have, that can't be fixed with 5 minutes of work?

Are you literally retarded?

what makes debian and ubuntu so different tehn?

Software and Hardware issues. For example. I purchased a cheap AC USB WiFi dongle that I had endless troubles with. The support simply didn't exist. I ended up having to run a script every time I rebooted my computer for the dongle to activate and start transmitting. Don't try and deny that Linux is a pain in the ass to use.

osx is better than any linux distro cuz its freebsd

>What sort of "trouble"?
It's been over a year since I was running Ubuntu, but I was always having issues with getting things working. Off the top of my head, I remember having issues using Octave in an RDP session.

I remember always going to the ubuntu help forums and someone else would be having the same problems, but there weren't real solutions. It was always "why are you trying to do that?"

Since I moved to CentOS, I just haven't had any such issues. Shit just works.

> windows, any version
> update
> reboot
> wait for computer to shut off
> start again
> wait for computer to start because update need to be installed (?)
> wait at least 5 minutes for nothing because windows is a bag of security hole anyway

> linux (on debian for example)
> # apt update; apt upgrade
> if kernel update, reboot and be back in a minute, else continue what you were doing

Why linux is a pain in the ass?

summerfag detected
underage b&

Okay, well, you made the script. Congratulations you learned something, now fucking set it to autostart on system boot and you're good to go, won't ever have to think about it again. I'm sorry, was this a hard step? Because it literally takes 10 seconds.

Your argument is pointless. I hate Windows for other reasons, but I find it less of a pain in the ass overall. Pointing out (correctly) that Linux is more efficient when updating does not make my other issues any less valid.

> windows
> want a software
> go to google and type trololo
> see almost 1000000 answer for trololo
> find a website that looks not so bad
> download an .exe on a shitty bandwidth
> 10 hours later, you run trololo.exe
> click 10 times on next
> shit I installed 3 unwanted software
> virus on computer now
> rekt

> linux (for example, debian)
> apt install trololo
> enjoy

Why Linux is a pain in the ass?

Literally one example out of many. Why are you getting so upset at another person's choice of operating system anyway?