I just watched this, but I'm too dumb to understand it. Can someone hold my hand and explain it to me?

I just watched this, but I'm too dumb to understand it. Can someone hold my hand and explain it to me?

VVitch was the most straightforward movie ever. What didn't you understand?

Was there no hidden meaning behind anything? Should I take the movie as is? Why was the family exiled in the first place? Why did the father chop such a ridiculous amount of wood?

>Was there no hidden meaning behind anything?
You could see it as an exploration of Puritan values and custom, as a karmic tale of harsh judgment or just what the movie says at the end, a tale inspired by the folklore of the time.

>Should I take the movie as is?
That's up to you.

>Why was the family exiled in the first place?
The father disagreed with the town church.

>Why did the father chop such a ridiculous amount of wood?
His crops had failed and he had no traps so he could not provide for his family in any other way or do anything else. Thomasin said it out loud that chopping wood was the only thing he could do.

>Thomasin
hnnngggggg

I WANT TO FUCK THAT ARGIE-BRITISH AYYLMAO

Sure. It's a well shot movie where zippo happens and then the main guy screams like an autist in the pig pen and delivers comedy kino of the highest caliber.

I don't get how they survived long enough to build that house. Was it already there?

Thomasin my dear dost thou not sup to thy brother's bosom forthwith?

Was this movie intentionally racist? Why was the only black character the devil?

There isn't much to get. The movie is very smart but it's also quite straightforward. It's a family torn apart due to the hubris of the father (and jealousy/ anger of the mother if I remember correctly).

The error of human pride is a pretty big deal, especially where it clashes with nature. The father is frequently seen to be abusive towards nature which ultimately results in his downfall. The children are pure of heart which is why they are spared most of the horror(except the baby of course), this is pretty clear when the son is taken to heaven.

The witch was a factor but ultimately they fucked themselves over.

>The father is frequently seen to be abusive towards nature
When?

Anya Taylor-Joy is an American born Argentine-British actress and model.

>MFW "deliciously"

also OP, film is straightforward

The son wasn't spared. The Devil was mocking God. All the children suffered because they were sinful. Black Phillip had been with the family for awhile - so this wasn't a "just because" thing. It had been planned, Thomasin had been chosen.

When he drags Black Philip by his horns, and later when he goes hunting. Not to say that hunting is abusive, faulty wording on my part, but he does get his comeuppance for both of those actions.

Also the witch can be considered a part of nature. If you've read The Scarlet Letter or seen/ read The Crucible, you know that Puritan settlers considered the woods surrounding their communities to be the dwelling place of Satan.

>Mister Anonymous, I have observed thine eyes linger upon my feet. If thou desires them, wilst thou come hither?

Thomasin, dost thou not see thine own witch'd hands? dost thy not smell black philip's wretched black goat jizm upon thy frock?

And the father must've chopped up at least infinite trees

Would accept devil goat's offer.

I took the scene to mean that Thomasin was being delivered to heaven by God in order to be spared any further horror. Maybe I'll watch it again with your interpretation in mind. It's certainly a dark enough movie.

Remove

thy

shift.

>we will never see the deleted scene where the VVitch rides Caleb's dick in her cottage while laughing and screaming like a crazy nutjob and stuffing his mouth with apples as he cums

>When he drags Black Philip by his horns,
Come off it, he was trying to put a loopy goat back in the enclosure.

>and later when he goes hunting
Nothing abusive about that, and he was only forced to do so because their crops failed.

His sin was pride - pride for telling his church to fuck off, pride that he could run away into the wilderness with his family and survive, pride for not going back to town even when demonic things started happening.

What does she remind me of...

Anybody else wish they would've gone into this movie without horror in mind? It was a brilliant movie, but I always expect horror=mindless slasher

They should make contemporary-horror an actual genre.

Who's ass was that in the end? I must know

>I took the scene to mean that Thomasin was being delivered to heaven by God

it was levitation ointment. i think it was even written on a parchment. This is what Black Phillip meant by "see the world". pay attention noob.

Why did he have to be black Phillip? Why not regular Phillip?

my nigga black phillip dindu nuffin.

Was Black Philly doing this stuff with the intent of corrupting Thomasin or was that just an incidental bonus after reking the family because evil.

Are you saying we can't be Satan and shit?

Wouldsst thou like to live delicioussly?

I already do nigga, Satan, my man, my dude.

>I took the scene to mean that Thomasin was being delivered to heaven by God in order to be spared any further horror.

Thomasin is the older sister, not the brother, jesus christ.

Homage to Patrice O'Neal, RIP.

Is you're talking about Caleb, I thought the film made it incredibly obvious that he was still possessed and mocking the family when he finally passed. I mean his language turned very sexual (for Puritians) while he humped the air.

I wish I could watch movies and understand them as I'm watching. I take everything at face value and it makes me feel like a big dummy.

Post lewd

>mfw no thomasin gf

religious hysteria, making people believe in bullshit that isn't real

sound familiar? it's what I have to put up with every night before dinner and at every family reunion

Just watch enough good movies

take a film class.

Yes. Come here, lad. Let me explain this movie to ya.

See, here in this movie, an isolated religious family is exiled to the hinterlands.

The family has a defiant father, a doting mother, and three children.

One of those children is an innocent appearing young girl, and she possesses pure child-like features that stoke the pedophilial interests of lonely sequestered man-children who spend all day watching movies about young girls.

The man-children spill their seed relentlessly over images of the girl and then proclaim the movie is the best they've ever seen.

Last year, it was a movie about a large breasted middle aged woman with cottage cheese thighs that received this honor of promotion of a shitty movie to such popular heights, because the seed spilled over and over and created a torrent of flagellated spermatozoans all over the internets. This year, it is this piece of shit.

wut

>Last year, it was a movie about a large breasted middle aged woman with cottage cheese thighs that received this honor of promotion
What? Did I get knocked out and missed last year or something? What was this?

is that for me?

Well there was a recent theory that in Salem and other areas where some witch trials took place in America there was some type of fungus in the water that lead to hallucinations and mania.

I also eat butter and wear pretty dresses :3

Stop posting on Sup Forums

they were part of the "plantation" and probably had help in everything until we first see the family at the beginning of the film. haven't you ever seen a bunch of Amish people raising a barn? haven't you ever seen Kingpin?

I think I've watched a lot of good movies though.

I did in high school, but it was a joke. I'm an economics major in college and it doesn't allow me to take many gen eds that involve film, unfortunately.

I like it here.