Has anyone ever worked for a store that was closed by its company...

Has anyone ever worked for a store that was closed by its company? I worked for Kmart when I was in high school for a couple of years. The store was closed in April of 2012 and it was very surreal. I was more or less happy to be able to drop out of work and claim unemployment for a couple of months before my HS graduation and going to college but there were people at my store who had been there for 10 years or longer who actually cried on our last day. Some guy came in and wrote the manager a check for the rest of our stock so he could resell online.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cU8HrO7XuiE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I worked at this restaurant that went under. It was a family owned place. Crazy popular from 1990-08ish. Owner got stupid with money and before he could try to cover up his mistakes he had to shut it down. Literally no one knew it was coming either, we all showed up for work one morning and when we walked in he told us that the place was shut down.

a bunch of people started crying and it was weird as fuck.

That's fucked. I noticed that a lot of peoples' livelihoods depended on the store that I cared little about... And that the employees between my stores and the competitors' stores were pretty much the same. For years everyone acted like conflict was from one company to another but the real conflict was between shitty customers and the people who worked HARD at the store and between those employees and their very own comanies who dragged them down. The company was just trying to limit losses in an unprofitable market.

What was the name of it?

titty bump

The image reminds me of this. youtube.com/watch?v=cU8HrO7XuiE

i used to work at k mart too. place is shitty. sad many depend on this job as a career. that pic is feels. mine isnt closed yet

Weird that I'd be a part of an empty store like this 4 years ago and then be a memelord faggot who likes vaporwave now

Something about the surreal aesthetic of vaporwave interests me

Worked at a local greenhouse and nursery that was a staple of the community since our town was founded almost 70 years ago.

Guy got tired at 80 and his son didn't want the business, I was paid a heavy stipend to keep my mouth shut but I still told people anyways, people still call my cell 6 years later asking when we're getting stock in

Worked for an independent retail store for a couple of years; owner reached the point where he'd gained the maximum number of new, regular clientele he was ever going to for the area, decided he'd had enough & closed it to return to banking.
Was only me & one other guy working there at the time, so not really that much impact. He'd offered to "sell" it to me for a dollar, but I'd seen his numbers, and with the small profit margin of the place I would have had to live in the back of it to keep paying the lease; so I just took advantage of the unemployment for a while.

Here's a pic of my empty store.

This is more suitable for the music

Question, are you in Alabama? My town's K-Mart closed in 2012, pretty sure it was April.

That gap at the beginning of the hall on the right was the lay-away desk. I didn't EVER work there but I had a friend that did. The spot on the (rear) left would have been the break area that had a table, microwave, CRT TV with VCR, etc.

The hall on the right behind the lay-away desk led to the manager's office, hiring manager's office, cash office, etc.

The front-left gap was the bathroom area

I'm like 50% sure that there was just an empty wall directly behind me there

At the time I was in West Georgia. I think the Sears Holdings acquisition of Kmart was rough in our geographical location.

This is off topic, but there is a laser tag/ airsoft field about an hour and a half away from me that's was originally a department store like target or Walmart or something. They just turned the lights down, and even off in some areas, give us guns, and tell us to fucking run and shoot. It's great!

Me and my airsoft friends always look at it if we ride by the old abandoned K-Mart.
We dream of going in there and just shooting the fuck out of each other.
it hurts to know it'll never happen.

I use to work for best buy back in 2012
if you didnt hear about it they closed 50 stores nation one.
mine was one of them.
I remember their was rumors for a couple weeks that stores were closing down and stuff. The managers assured us that my store wasnt going to go under cause it was new and made profit.
Managers ask entire store to come in early sunday for our monthly meeting.
we get there
see lots of nice food
see corporate BB employees/HR
>>shit
Tells us that we were shutting down.
Managers knew ahead of time but I saw mine crying.
I kinda laughed because I hated everyone in the store. (i have actually went into detail a bit about if before)
I was given a choice to go to another store or receive severance.
took the severance cause like I said I hated the store.
Didnt work for 8 months
collected unemployment checks (thx obama!)

Amusing story I just remembered from this:
Towards the end he started selling the fixtures & whatever else to whoever wanted them; last couple days we had a lot of people looking for that shit. He had these big plywood sheet shelves towards the ceiling; one end sat on a running board on the wall, the other was suspended from the drop ceiling supports with chains. They held like cat scratching post tree type things & shit, so could support a bit of weight.
So stupid ass nigger bitch came in & asked if they were available; then climbed up the other shelving to get onto them, & started unhooking the chains to one while she was on it. I barely got that it was a terrible idea to do that out of my mouth before it collapsed under her & her dumb ass rolled off the shelving below it onto the floor, a good 8-10 foot drop, making a nice smacking sound as her head hit the concrete.
She said some words about suing, so the owner took her in the back & showed her the security tapes, which clearly showed she was a fucking moron & totally in the wrong; she shut her mouth & left.

Come to think of it, my Kmart was weird as fuck. It was founded in the mid-70's with a pet deparment and a food court but the pet area was removed because they couldn't keep good stock (fish kept dying/dogs kept biting kids) and the food kept spoiling too soon so they got rid of that.

I explored the Kmart store quite a bit during my time there in high school. I was fascinated by it. There was a loss-prevention guy who worked there that had an office filled with CRT monitors hooked up to CCTV screens. I only made it into his office twice: once when my supervisor told me he wanted to talk to me (someone conned me out of a tenner at christmas time when I was on a register) and one other time when I snuck in. He had a huge grid of TVs set up streaming live video feeds of the store. Really, really think some of them may have been in the ladies' room.

Not retail but I worked for an architectural firm for about 6 months before they got bought out by a bigger firm. Everyone was assured that we would still have our jobs. We did.....for about 3 months.

Someone told me at one point that the location (prior the to late 70's when it was built) had been a "black" church that was burned down and then the land was bought for a pretty cheap price, Jesus FUCK Georgia is fucked
>select the images with a store front