Why do you like sports?

I've been thinking about this a lot after the Italy-Germany game, especially after watching Buffon and Barzagli cry on TV while being interviewed. Their tears and their words hit me really hard. It's not the first time my team (club or NT) has let me down, but I never felt this bad before. I still can't get over it.
Who do I feel like this for a football game? Why do I feel so emotionally attached to people I don't know, millionaires that are so distant from me in every aspect, people I've only ever seen on TV and whom I'll never share anything with?
I came to realize that for me it's like watching a good movie or a good TV show, where at some point you begin to empathize with the characters. But the difference is that characters are played by actors, they are fictional, they don't exist outside of a TV screen, their life begins and ends with the movie itself. A football player (or any other athlete), on the other hand, is a human being, his emotions are real, the tears and the sadness I see on the same TV screen I watch movies on are real and he's gonna have to live with those emotions for the rest of his life. So I think the human and emotional factor is what does it for me.
But is all this right? Is the human side of sports a good enough reason to make sports mean so much in my life? I mean, the things I wrote seem to make sense to me, but the fact that I have no relationship whatsoever with this people is still there. Should I save my emotions for people that are in my life and that one way or another will give those emotions back?
Give me your thoughts Sup Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HCKKTcCothE
youtube.com/watch?v=MTn1v5TGK_w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Barzagli interview with english subs for reference
youtube.com/watch?v=HCKKTcCothE

Why do we sympathize with Barzagli and Buffon tears but mock Ronaldo's tears?

Confused by that.

Because sports tells the story of life in a nutshell, which is getting up after you've fallen down. It's all about never giving up and continuing forwards in the face of opposition and impossible odds

If you look at my flag, you'll instantly know what I mean

>only delusion remains

What is he, a Liverpool fan?

Buffon is one of the nicest men in football, Ronaldo is a cunt

Simple

football is just a replacement of war

because i find it more entertaining than watching stupid shit like breaking bad or game of thrones

toothpaste?

Because Ronaldo is a twat.

because my dad watches all the popular sports except the shitty american ones. i was brought up with sports on the tele every day so it naturally became part of my life and i love watching it.

You've just been brainwashed by Berlusconi's TV. Simple as that.

And religion.

basically this.
an etologist said that the celebration of a team winning a trophy is basically the same as ancient tribes coming home from the hunt with a big prey.
that is why football is the only thing in which I am nationalist, because it replaced war in so many aspects, most of them ghastly.
Also, Op is right when he talks about feelings. Barzagli cying is something sincere, 1000 times more sincere than every tv shows or movie

It's because of their "background" history I guess. Buffon is a world champion, he's probably the best gk in history and he decided to stay with his team even after relegation. But he also suffered of heavy depression, he's been on the verge of suicide, he's had very bad moments in his life, both as a human and athlete. He's had his high and lows, and we can identify with him because our life is made of highs and lows.
Ronaldo has always been on a winning position, he's had far more successes than failures in his life, and we tend to be jealous of succesful people. The tears Ronaldo sheds and the emotions he feels after a loss are in no way different from those of Buffon, we just categorize them differently because we kind of feel like Ronaldo has already had his fair share of success in life, and we rejoice when we watch him lose in favour of somebody else less successful than him (whom we identify with ourselves). It's all about jealousy, in the end.
At least that's how I see it.

in 1950 lots of Brazilians killed themselves after losing to Uruguay. there was no Berlusconi back then.
that said, I agree that we should have more important things to cry and worry about besides football in this historical moment

You're having a bit of a crisis over this?
Imagine being English.

this.
plus soccer is for crying bitches like op

>why am i human?

the miracle of bern
nuff said

>Of all the beautiful things we have done, I think nothing will remain
>Only delusion remains
>And the fact eventually nobody will remember anything of this team

I am so fucking sad right now

I was basically born into it and have tons of people in my family who are or were professional athletes. My dad had me in skates when I was like 2 or 3 (I dont even remember learning to skate), and was playing catch and whatnot with me as soon as I developed the motor skills necessary to walk. Although I just play recreationally now, it would just feel weird to not watch and follow sports because I have such an in depth knowledge of them (mostly hockey, baseball, football and lacrosse, but I've played pretty much every major sport competitively).

It just is, I dont really question it, although there's something about competition and seeing people win or lose that just gets my jimmies rustlin. Not even pro athletes either, I'll have just as much of a good time watching a junior hockey game (or hell even midget or bantam if I'm going a cousin's game or something) as I would an NHL game, in fact I find junior to be more entertaining most of the time. There's something almost pure about it, like there's no excuses, an even playing field, and someone wins because they're better than the other person/team

Art is way more real and impactful than any "great sports moment".

Why?

>shitaly

>that flag
>that post

Asspain.

Its basically the same shit.

>get really really really fucking good at a basically useless skill or talent
>people respect your skill and throw money at you
>get remembered for generations

Although where it gets tricky is whether or not you can classify people like architects, or masons who make actually functional, beautiful shit as artists or not. If so then ya I'd probably agree with you

football is art

Isn't Ronaldo from a shitty background himself?

DISCLAIMER: If you never cried in one of your team's matches you are not a real supporter

Yes, but he's made up for it with his numerous victories. Also he's always had a "I'm better than you" attitude.

Pele please.

This

football is actually the replacement of gladiator fights

>implying gladiators dove on the ground rolling and complaining about their opponent being too rough to them

soccer is the fairy sport par excellence

because they might be millionaires and distant but they still lost, while others will go on, and at the end only one team will win.
Ovciously you can empathize with those who lose. Everyone has lost at some point, and very few people win anything at all.
that' why I love this
youtube.com/watch?v=MTn1v5TGK_w
why did they fight so hard? for 4th place of all things? They couldn't win. The ones before them were just better, it was impossible for them. But they could give it everything they had. It was not in their power to arrive first, but it was in their power to arrive fourth, and so they ran even when they couldn't run anymore. And neither of them can have any regret for that day because they gave it all.
Football is not that merciful though because it doesn't give you that grace and you'll keep thining about moments where things could have gone different. In that it's more like life than races.
And it's why you can feel bad for a millionaire who didn't win his game.

With ANDONIO GONTE till the end...
Lapo - everyone's fuccboi - told us we were going to win!!

ITAL JEW ENTUS BTFO

>BTFO
>T
>F
>O

hahahaha ebrei, can't wait for GONDE, ALLEGRI and LAPO to choke in the next league.

Dude chill

ITT: absurd rationalizations
Ultimately you're still living vicariously through the accomplishments of others. It's cuck as fuck, and no amount of sappy sentimentalism will hide that.

>it's cuck as fuck
>tfw this is what most posts come down to on 2016 Sup Forums
what happened lads

>Why do you like sports?
i have literally no clue, it only hurts desu

moot died