I want to get into jazz. Where do I start?

I want to get into jazz. Where do I start?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aK-4p2Fbn80
rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=alltime&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=jazz&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=
tomhull.com/ocston/nm/notes/pjazz-core.php
twitter.com/AnonBabble

DID SOMEONE SAY JAZZ?
I have just the man!
Herbie Hancock. The man, the myth, the legend.
Listen to everything he ever made.

youtube.com/watch?v=aK-4p2Fbn80

rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=alltime&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=jazz&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

Buy a copy of JazzWise magazine

Don't get into jazz because you want to seem cultured. Find out what influenced the music you listen to now and listen to that. Then find the music that influenced that music and listen to that. Eventually you'll end up at jazz.

>6 Frank Zappa- Hot Rats
>12 Pharoah Sanders- Karma
>17 Twin Peaks Soundtrack
>30 Soft Machine- Third
Jesus Christ...

Are you implying Zappa is bad?

It's good introductory. You're not gonna get someone into jazz with Anthony Braxton or Cecil Taylor

No, I'm implying that it's ridiculous that Hot Rats would be #6 on a list of greatest jazz albums.

But since you asked, Zappa is pretty bad. Hot Rats is one of his few decent albums, but still laughably high for a list like that.

Where did I say that either of those artists would be good alternatives?

>Don't get into jazz because you want to seem cultured
Consider for a moment the possibility of someone genuinely liking jazz, then piss off.

Not this.

Try this.

What kind of music do you like already?

My thought is, rather than "here's a list of good jazz albums - listen to them until you like jazz," it would make more sense to look for some kind of crossroads between jazz and stuff you like. Get your ears accustomed to the various qualities you might find in jazz but in a context you're familiar with, then move deeper into the waters from there.

Jazz expert here. Start with this gem.

That's not Herbie Hancock.

true

listening to soul is a pretty good gateway to jazz i'd say

and a lot of classic soul sampling is used in modern hip hop and such so its easy to recognize some songs and vibe to them

then go from there

There's a few steps to take

1) take your instrument and put it in the garbage

this. Herbie got me into jazz.

He's getting me into Jazz too!
I'm going through his stuff. Just finished 'Lite Me Up'.

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

honestly, there are a bunch of guides online that get you into jazz predicated off of that album.

I got some bad news for ya

(you're not really into jazz)

Pharoah Sanders was probably the biggest influence on that album in particular

Alright, fine, I'm just into Herbie Hancock then.

I've committed no sin here.

You must have some pretty boring taste. Do you just hate any jazz that's experimental or crosses genres?

It's a pretty big leap to assume that I hate any jazz that's experimental or cross-genre based on a post in which I express my disappointment that a list of the supposed 30 best jazz albums contains several albums that aren't even close to jazz or are just plain bad.

Which of those aren't even close to jazz or are just plain bad? Fusion is a subgenre of jazz.

Start with the albums with crowns
tomhull.com/ocston/nm/notes/pjazz-core.php

Twin Peaks and Soft Machine aren't even close to jazz. Karma is just plain bad. Hot Rats isn't bad but it doesn't belong in the top 100, let alone the top 10.

As I expected, sounds like is more your speed.

Soul is a good one.
Funk is great with a lot of bands which mix it with jazz.
Quite a few House and Garage-rooted electronic acts use chords that would be more at home in jazz than standard dance music.

For me it was progressive rock which, in my opinion, was an absurdly easy transition. So much so that it seemed inevitable; many prog groups are jazz-inspired and a lot of jazz fusion groups straddle the line between that and prog-rock.

damn...

did u go to a school for such sick burnsq

you have to be memeing now right?

pharoah sanders and charles mingus are probably my 2 favorite jazz artists. jazz elitists will probably give you shit about listening to big band jazz, but who the fuck cares about them?

>jazz elitists will probably give you shit about listening to big band jazz,

lol no

At this point yes, it's half meme half my genuine enjoyment.

fucking this

i often go back to this album just because its so well made.

I'm going to suggest actually starting from an electronic perspective.

Please start with
Four Tet - Rounds
Kieran Hebden And Steve Reid - Exchange Sessions Volume 1
Floating Points - Elaenia
Miles Davis - On the Corner

and then work your way deeper

100 Best of Blue Note. It's on Spotify. Listen to all of that, then dive into Blue Train, A Love Supreme, Kind of Blue, and all the other jazz "Essentials". Read Jazz: A History of America's Music by Ken Burns. You don't really need to read it, but it's a great book and it'll tell you about the origins and evolution of Jazz from the 1800s in Orleans down all the way into the 60s with Coltrane.

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Pharoah Sanders - Karma
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um

Miles Davis -> all of it except the 80s

Miles Davis occupied most

Just start with Kind of Blue and go backwards or forwards from there.