What's with the end of My Warm Blood in The Glow Pt. 2...

What's with the end of My Warm Blood in The Glow Pt. 2? The horn noise that pulses happens throughout the album and the album ends with seven minutes of this noise. It's really spooky.

Other urls found in this thread:

pwelverumandsun.com/store
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Listen to Mount Eerie now and it'll all make sense my lad

Dis.

OP Here. That's really fucking cool. I had only listened to The Glow Pt. 2 before so I'm going to listen to all of this now.

Phil said that it's sampled from Twin Peaks I think

Im pretty sure that it's a field recording from Anacortes Harbor

oh yeah I think you're right but I remember it reminded him of or evoked twin peaks? I read that in the companion book to the Mount Eerie album but I can't find that anywhere. also everyone remember to buy phil's music

You gotta link where I can download/cop that book? I have no problem spending money on the Philster after what happened to O Paon

I like to think that phill is hibernating in a cave and how he talks about the glow going away in the glow pt 2 and how its a sigh of winter
And the horn is all in his mind telling him to stay in the cave.
The whole album is about him pondering his life and the song i felt my size is about him leaving the cave

Ditto

It's called Headwaters and I believe it's long out of print because I can't find it on his website. But pls don't let that deter you from giving money to the Philster ie control f Dawn here to find his winter journal which was a great read/listen or buy the Mount Eerie CD which comes with a poster that sets up the story pwelverumandsun.com/store I promise I'm not phil's marketing team lol

also I just bought the CD and he included some of his wife's art

The Mount Eerie CD has shit that comes with?
I'm sold Phillium

i feel like the whole album has an overarching existential theme, with scientific and philosiphical ideas like the heat death of the universe, and plato's cave.
Even the structure of the album is kinda of like a heat death, it starts off at it's climax, then slowly goes out like a fire cooling down, and all that's left is the cold empty night that is "My Warm Blood" with remnants of the energy before from the album still almost present but fading (the motif from "I want wind to blow")

You guys should totally consider preordering the vinyl release of early microphones recordings that phil just announced. I've heard some of the songs and a lot of it is phil messing around with tape recording techniques which i love - i like Mount Eerie but early Microphones is my shit
tinymixtapes com/news/phil-elverum-announces-vinyl-release-early-microphones-tape-recordings

Btw im pretty sure the idea at the end of My Warm Blood is that the character is dying and transitioning to some sort of surreal afterlife at the beginning of Mount Eerie

nice snek

>i saw your fall
>your winter snow
>your gusty blow
>your lava flow

Fuck why did it take me so long to realize he was referencing the four seasons

You're all partially right
The idea came from something similar from twin peaks
he especially liked it because of all the ferries in anacortes, and was going to sample one, but ended up creating the sound in the studio

Mount eerie is a different story. that character dies somewhere in IV, the title track.

>some sort of surreal afterlife

Nah there's nothing about the afterlife in his songs. Lots about being small and inconsequential, and death just being a thing that happens, you're gone, that's it.

A story I always heard was that Mount Eerie was about him passing on to the afterlife. Before IV he is in sort of a limbo which is why he talks about having to live without his loved ones and no one being able to see him and then the big black cloud gets him.

Like the other guy said I don't think that is necessarily what Phil intended, but thats a really cool interpretation that I could get behind. Since The Glow Pt. 2 is about freezing to death and Mt. Eerie does have a lot to do with the dying, maybe Mt. Eerie could be the low brain activity state that happens when freezing to death.

>the narrator dies in Glow
This is youtube commenter core theory
Glow is just a break up album. A damn good one but no real narrative. Although, I could see how you interpret the last track as a death but I really don't see it.

>it's a break up album
Kind of, but not really. There are a lot of allusions to freezing on the album

yes
But it is just using a recuring theme and some metaphors to drive home the point of lonliness
Girl is warmth/fire
Love is often described as warm
Now that she is gone he is cold
These lyrics are found throughout the album

It's the story of climbing up mount erie and dying there, and just returning to nothing

on IV he is dying, and on V he is dead. this is always my understanding

to be fair the first lyrics spoken on the whole album are about him and his ex breaking up

It's a steamboat

>to be fair the first lyrics spoken on the whole album are about him and his ex breaking up

i thought that was about how an old band he was in (the thunderclouds) broke up

yeah, and that band was with his ex, they broke up.