Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wSr9k0peUew
youtube.com/watch?v=wfXhb0eKj-8
youtube.com/watch?v=AGw8F1VZmo4
youtube.com/watch?v=dS1JpgK5wW4
youtube.com/watch?v=6XKlRZ9Kq4w
youtube.com/watch?v=9FL5VoXKVf0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

they were thinking of making good music and that's exactly what they did.

"lets make a feel good pop punk album"

probably "DUDE BOWIE LMAO"

Summertime and S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W are really good.

their first album is their best

DUDE I'M A MCMOTHAFUCKING EMO MALLGOTH IMMA PUT SOME FUCKING GUYLINER ON MY SHIT AND SNORT MXE OUT OF A LOLI TWINK'S ASSHOLE

are we still pretending The Black Parade isn't their magnum opes?

come on, user.

i like the black parade, but it has some lyrics that kinda make me cringe ngl

me too thanks

they were supposed to put out Conventional Weapons before this, but pussies out because it lacked creativity, so they went crazy and this came out, i didn't enjoy it but is right.
I don't blame you for posting this, the new wave of MCR fans are cancerous little 13 yearolds and they drive me away from every and any comment section MCR is involved with.
in terms of imagery and concept, yes. music? no.

And while we're on the subject, Bullets holds up incredibly well.
youtube.com/watch?v=wSr9k0peUew

youtube.com/watch?v=wfXhb0eKj-8

this basically

the music on Black Parade was they best they ever made though.

>tfw this was my first album I ever purchased

oh well

Hey now, Danger Days was made to reflect how much better Gerard's life was now that he's sober.

It was also designed like a comic book.

Let the dude have his fun.

but he fell back into alcoholism whilst recording danger days

I still enjoy a lot of the songs on this album, but if I'm in the mood to listen to MCR I'm gonna listen to Three Cheers or Black Parade before this

Probably their second best album to be honest.

[spoiler]Frank is the breakout star since the split. Gerard put out a token album and retreated back to comics. Mikey wanted to be the modern day Pet Shop Boys and Ray decided to release an album more flowery than a Phil Collins record.[/spoiler]

>implying this album isn't great in any way, shape, or form

>I don't blame you for posting this, the new wave of MCR fans are cancerous little 13 yearolds and they drive me away from every and any comment section MCR is involved with.
they're just chuunis, cut 'em some slack, you had some sort of a phase like that too. i think it's cute and i guess kind of admirable that a rock band can still inspire that

>he doesn't listen to Party Poison daily

it's their most patrican album

this was a great album.
not a single song i didnt like

You're wrong. It's really plain and boring also the lyrics are fucking trash like 50% of the time. The album is also painfully pretentious because it seems convinced that it's concept isn't something that has been done 300 times before.

It's sad because now that Frank has been able to be a front man and sing I have a feeling that he low-key wrote all of their best songs.

everything in this post is extremely incorrect

there's nothing plain about TBP or MCR in general.

how's his new band?

Amazing

youtube.com/watch?v=AGw8F1VZmo4

youtube.com/watch?v=dS1JpgK5wW4

I always hated MCR for being bland whiny fashion victim pop rockers, but just last week I finally heard their debut album and to my utter shock it's a decent, real post-hardcore album. Which makes me wonder, what the fuck was all that scene kid bullshit about?

First for Grant Morrison

>scene kid bullshit about?

they had a uniform, they were edgy and their singer was cute. they never asked for it, it just happened.

Ah the early 2000s...what a time to be a teenager

it was a different time, can't deny how fun it was though.

MCR does not have an album, and barely even has a single song, that doesn't have at least one serious cringe line. It's part of the charm.

Im 27, and what I don't get about high school kids these days is that they bash today's music while praising "classic" stuff from my "era" like MCR. I try to explain that we all hated that shit and the cool mainstream rock music of the 00s was called the "garage rock revival", but I don't think they get it

like the strokes and franz ferdinand? gay watered down "rock", i'd listen to sum41 and green day over that any day

>they bash today's music while praising "classic" stuff from my "era" like MCR
I don't need to hear this shit user. I don't need to feel old, I'm not even 21.

MCR was one of the few good bands from that era, you're just a contrarian.

>my opinion represents the masses

>I always hated MCR for being [uncool basically]
man that attitude is seriously kind of stupid

The Strokes were popular but bland. Franz Ferdinand's first album was fun. Everybody seemed to like the White Stripes. The big bands were The Hives and The Vines, though neither were really that good. The cool bands were Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Libertines, The Kills, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, and The Raveonettes. Even then normies liked Arctic Monkeys. The Fratellis were a thing for about a minute.

The kids who listened to MCR in my town wore wolf t-shirts, went to anime conventions, and lied about having girlfriends at other schools.

I'm more talking about general sentiment in my area

fanbase =/= Band

cool != good

I think you are forgetting all of the members of MCR were nerds as well.

Calling MCR nerds is like calling Weezer a bunch of nerds. Kinda redundant.

They were thinking that they were going to make their best album.

They were right.

never did say MCR was cool, they just happened to make bitchin pop-punk/alternative rock music.

if I wanted "cool" I'd listen to blink-182.

dubs confirm

>What were they thinking?

It is known.

They went for glam and fucked it up, delivering an annoying pop rock album instead.

However, that just makes it even nicer that Gerard Way made such a good glam album when he went solo

Dangers Days was all over the place but that's kinda part of its charm.

There's the distinction in what I'm talking about: when I was a teen in the mid 00s, blink-182 were actually considered really uncool because it's what everybody had listened to when they were in middle school. blink was still a really fantastic pop rock band, but nobody would talk about it because doing so would've been unfashionable.

i wish conventional weapons came out for real

youtube.com/watch?v=6XKlRZ9Kq4w

youtube.com/watch?v=9FL5VoXKVf0

This is all I like by mcr and I'm willing to admit it's all nostalgia

Yeah this, I never bought into that whole faux emo trend.

don't know where you went to school, blink was the shit and their entire image was being the cool kids.

what does popularity really have to do with it? seems like the people you hung out with were just hipsters and tried to not like anything popular.

I live in California, and people here adored blink because they were from here just like Green Day. listening to blink was like an obligation for the cool kids.

well deserved, they made really fun music.

I remember being into shoegaze and Swans back in those days, very weird now.

This is spot on.

good stuff, but their other material is great too.

yeah, I have all of them on a playlist on Spotify. Flows pretty fine together, it's basically a B-side album.

They had to tour with scene kid bands even though it wasn't their initial direction. They made Mad Gear and Missile Kid to try and go back. Same thing happened to Fall Out Boy (listen to Pax Am Days.)

I enjoyed the later work of those two groups, but people don't seem to realize they would have been killer post-hardcore groups if they were in a position to sell it.

PAX AM Days is great stuff.

I'm from Boulder, Colorado.

I'm went to a hippie alternative charter school. The "cool kids" who made a big deal of being into music were into those garage rock revival bands. The popular normie kids were into a lot of 70s stuff like Bob Marley, Grateful Dead, and Led Zeppelin, and made a big deal of listening to "conscious hip hop" like Immortal Technique and Flobots. The geeks were into Disturbed and Dragonforce.

so basically now that the emo/scene scene has died Sup Forums likes these typed of bands?

there's a clear distinction between the shitty cashgrab scene bands and the bands that were liked by scene kids but made good music on their own terms.

neat. off-topic but, what did Colorado kids think of South Park?

A segment of Sup Forums does, but I think most of us don't pay any attention to them whatsoever and just see them as insubstantial pop music not really worth remembering. And it's hard to talk about them when they share a genre name with an indie genre that bears very little, if any connection with them. When people discuss bands like Cap'n Jazz, American Football, Orchid, Merchant Ships, etc. it's hard to even talk about MCR or FOB because they're so irrelevant to the subject. It even gets more confusing when you consider that the modern "pizzacore" bands really are legitimate descendants of original 80s/90s indie emo

it's the dadrockification kicking in
mcr are something like the smiths of the 00s

Everybody liked it, but desu I don't think anybody thought much about the fact it was from/about Colorado, maybe because it was such a major show that it felt national, rather than local.

The album's concept is ripped nearly straight from The Wall, and somehow has even more filler.

I get that MCR, PATD ect aren't truly emo bands but I dont think any of the scene/emo kids back then had even heard about the bands that came before them like SDRE, and even less people do now, I think the 'emo' genre probably suits these newer bands more than SDRE type emo now whether we want it to or not

a lot of normies make the mistake of assuming that the musical genre of emo is limited to the inferior bands that were around when the term "emo" was a really common insult

like when you had to listen to people make lame jokes about hipsters nonstop for two years. i can't remember exactly how long ago that was. sometime in the 2000s

i don't think they realize that emo has been around since the '80s and that bands like weezer are included

meant to reply to

>The Black Parade
>filler

desu that album was all killer and no filler.

what's truly Emo about MCR, Panic!, or Fall Out Boy?

It just seems like alternative rock to me.

I just mean that's what the vast majority of people think of when they think of emo music, I dont think I've ever met anyone irl whos heard of SDRE or captn jazz, and if they did hear those bands they probably would't think they were emo

then again I live in the UK so it's probably just a different scene here, used to be that there was loads of people wearing FOB/MCR t-shirts saying they like listening to emo

You do actually have a point there. I remember, as a teenager my friends would talk about how much they hated emo and emo kids, and in the background I'd be playing Rites of Spring or Hot Water Music, and they'd be totally into it

I think I've seen people calling blink-182's self titled album emo.

Kinda ridiculous.

yeah that's what 90% of people probably think of as emo, so I just refer to it as indie or alt if it comes up in conversation

Agreed, but it might be less ridiculous than it seems. blink were actually big fans of The Get Up Kids and some other emo groups, and in the mid 90s they even released a song called Emo, in tribute to that scene. Some of their early stuff sounds halfway between skate punk and emo groups like The Promise Ring and The Get Up Kids. Tom DeLonge said with Box Car Racer he wanted to do something more like Fugazi, and if you listen to that record they sometimes sound exactly like Quicksand, especially with the guitars. Also, DeLonge was the first person I ever saw with that lip ring/hair over one eye look that was so popular among scene kids, though in hindsight I guess post-hardcore bands like the Refused and Orchid had pretty much the same image

It's probably their release that fits within the genre the best.

not that much more ridiculous than the people here that claim, pinkerton/the blue album are emo

Honestly I think MCR and Brand New are like the only "teen" bands from that era that still hold up today.

I still to panic at the discos 1st album on a fairly regular basis desu

I " a " .

>Sum 41
>Green Day
>Paramore

think you might need to get your keyboard checked out mate

Pretty Odd is really good

Vices is some decent power-pop

their latest 2 albums (especially their most recent one) have some fantastic pop music

Yeah shit got fucked up for a sec

I just hate the "look at me I'm such a fucking bad ass watch me over sing everything" style that they and fall out boy have.

Green Day hasn't had a good album since Warning in 2000, and the only people who like Paramore are guys who fantasize about the singer. All Killer No Filler is an awesome album, though

>American Idiot is bad

didn't really like pretty odd too much when I listened to it, apart from 9 in the afternoon, that song is GOAT

might give it another go since it gets posted here quite a lot, kinda disregarded everything after that

for a second I though was some new epic meme that I'd missed out on or something

Pretty Odd is extremely comfy, you just have not compair it to Fever at all to enjoy it.

they're being ironic

I'm glad I had the privilege of getting really into this album as a 12 year old without a hint of shame or irony. The music's pretty good, not something I'd listen to now I've had time to develop my tastes, but solid.

More important than that imo is the aesthetic. Think of it as an alternate approach to 80s culture than synthwave and its related genres. The lore and the costumes and the videos are the most fun thing I've ever seen a band do.

>not listening to Destroya on the daily