Woahh let me make the everything all squeaky and dissonant....AGAIN

>woahh let me make the everything all squeaky and dissonant....AGAIN
Why is serialism so boring? Why does everything sound the same?

"Stochastic music is method of composition in 20th century classical music developed by Iannis Xenakis and described in his book Formalized Music. This music arose from Xenakis' critique of Serialism, which in Xenakis' point of view just substituted the natural causality of tonal music by the stricter abstract causality in order to create atonal music. However, Xenakis concludes, this causality can't be perceived and what the listener hears is just a random set of tones, which causes that Serialism crushes under its complexity.
"

Kikes try to make everything ugly.

They're not really trying to make everything dissonant, it's just the compositional method is atonal and inevitably turns out like that.
It is total shit though.

t. tasteless bovine spastics

Serialism isn't dissonant you dilettante

Dissonant implies that it is meant to move to a consonance, which clearly serialism does not. You may find it unpleasant at first, but you're still listening to le modern music with the wrong mindset to appreciate it.

im a delivery driver, i went into this fancy apartment complex yesterday and they had this creepy dissonant violin music playing in the lobby. weirded me out dude

and yet Xenakis made music that sounds even more irritating?? show me a Xenakis piece that actually takes something similar to Schoenberg and makes it better/more listenable.

it's just XXth music bruh

seralism and the twelve tone method and aleatoric music are all total shit.

they are only useful as thought experiments and shouldn't even be performed

I like serialism

>Dissonant implies that it is meant to move to a consonance
I think you're mixing up "meant to" and "feels like it should". In any case, I don't think I've ever heard anyone else use this magnetic monopole tier definition of the word.

Dissonant is a descriptive term referring to resolution in counterpoint. A dominant seventh chord is dissonant, even though it doesn't sound unpleasant to listeners. "Feeling like it should" is a subjective idea, dissonance is an objective quality in functional harmony.

> I don't think I've ever heard anyone else use this
So clearly you don't study harmony, don't project your ignorance

t. pretentious pseudo-intellectual who fell for jewish tricks

*sudointellectual

Have you ever been to an aleatoric performance? What is wrong with them?

what i mean is that it is purely intellectual masturbation and any performance of the works are more thought experiments than actual performances designed to elicit any emotions from the audience.

the music is not composed in a way that is aimed at the listener

>Why is serialism so boring? Why does everything sound the same?
kek if this is a troll post it's a great one

That sounds like a very naive stance. I saw a John Cage tribute two weeks ago with strong elements of aleatoric composition and it was incredibly fulfilling. Aleatoricism does not exactly mean complete randomness, only random elements. There can still be structure/melody/harmony and so on. And it's not unusual for satisfying moments to materialize.

Also, why does it matter if something is designed to please the audience? Is that a requirement for any live performance to succeed? Also why does it matter if music is composed for a listener?

And again, have you been to an aleatoric performance??

you're a fucking retard. the twelve tone system is literally about using all 12 semitones of the chromatic scale equally. obviously it's all going to sound the same, it's atonal.

give me two serialist pieces and tell me how they specifically sound different

>There can still be structure/melody/harmony and so on. And it's not unusual for satisfying moments to materialize.
That's not really the music i'm talking about then. I'm talking about chance music, music with absolutely no thought put into what it's going to sound like until after it's composed. like when they write an entire symphony based on the positions of the stars or something and it ends up sounding like complete shit

>why does it matter if something is designed to please the audience

It's less about that and more about the fact that I believe that music should be of some emotional or ideological significance. aleatoric music was interesting for like a year when it first started, but when you've heard some of it you've heard it all.

For instance, I really enjoy 4'33". I think it's a great idea and I think the sounds of the room are strangely profound when put into the context of a performance. I dislike serialist compositions because it feels like what it is, just trying to eschew tonality and somehow transcend some imaginary boundary that they thought they needed to push, while sounding all the same at the end of the day

interesting idea, shit music

>obviously it's all going to sound the same, it's atonal.

you're an idiot

>not refuting any of my points
>not understanding that when every single note is treated the same and is played with the same rhythm, it's obviously going to sound the same

go ahead, refute literally anything i've said

nah dude different notes sound different im pretty sure

nah you fucking idiot, they don't unless you have perfect pitch.

notes only sound different relative to other notes. when all notes are randomly distributed and have equal note values they sound the same