Why is bands breaking up for the most part just not a thing anymore...

Why is bands breaking up for the most part just not a thing anymore? It used to be that a band would do their best work and then break up, or they'd do their best work and maybe make one bad album and be like, "Whoops, guess this doesn't work anymore" and they modestly resign. You just never hear about that happening anymore, bands are like, "NO! We carry on," even when the circumstances that provoked their best work have passed, and it becomes this weird game of keeping the name alive with zero integrity.

Money (no pun intended towards your pic)

Because most bands today are full of hacks who care more about money more than artistic credibility or even about their egos anymore.

I thought that pic was Lauren Mayberry at first

Because being in a band is fun idk. More musicians are around now so you can be in a band with your friends instead of random people who just play instruments

And do you think pop music wasn't full of hacks that only care about money then? Hell, the main reason the beatles broke up was because of fucking money. Guys like those in pink floyd only "break up" because they already made a shit ton of money and just don't even care anymore, not because some heavenly artist sensibility.

This, can't afford to retire as early.

>the main reason the beatles broke up was because of fucking money
Someone explain

hype williams broke up so you're wrong

But pic related and plenty of other artists tied to that era continued pumping out shit long past their sell by date. Give some better examples of artists who stopped at a respectful time in their career.

What bands just split after making their greatest work? How do you know when you've made the best work you possibly can? According to sales, Dark Side of the Moon is Pink Floyd's greatest record and one of the greatest records in music history, but many people cite Animals, Wish You Were Here, The Wall, hell, even The Division Bell as their favorites. When is the cutoff?

>band breaks up
>musician starts producing instead.

bands don't make music just to "keep their name alive" .their older stuff isn't going anywhere or going to sound any different anyway.

Economy.
Jobs are hard to come by.

But it's not a job and doesn't pay.

Thread

I can't think of an example of this other than the beatles. cases where a band member dies makes sense

glad im not the only one

OP here, I honestly think the Final Cut is the album Pink Floyd should had left off on, and they essentially did break up after that record, it was just never actually stated. I know it was essentially Roger Waters drowning the band with his ego but it sort of completed Pink Floyd in a weird way. A Momentary Lapse of Reason was just as egocentric except it was more insulting because it pretty much defaced Pink Floyd after they had stated their point. I'm definitely not saying they should have broken up after A Saucerful of Secrets, had Syd kept his sanity I doubt Roger would have stayed because I just don't see him playing bass and keeping his mouth shut.

more like because they're more or less realistic now and gave up on "rockstar legacy" delusions, and realized "art cred" is a childish meme

fucking kek