Just a reminder that music is a subjective experience

Just a reminder that music is a subjective experience.

There are lyrics that only you can feel at the moment and even musical structures that touch you.

Never let someone direct your tastes. Music will help you grow as a person if you experience it this way.

Other urls found in this thread:

huhmagazine.co.uk/9467/new-study-we-stop-liking-new-music-at-age-33
youtube.com/watch?v=Ct6BUPvE2sM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Relatability =/= good music

You can judge music on certain objective points. Doesn't mean you like it or you relate to it.

Also remember that at least 95% of the time, music >>> lyrics. Lyrics are the least important part of songwriting.

Sup Forums should make a checklist of what elements make a good album

Quality is relative

No.

You're wrong.

You don't know shit shut up.

What you're taking about is Listening.

I'm talking about Experiencing.

How dare you try to derail me ... fucking

Have you ever even experienced music?

I'm guessing you're the type that constantly nitpicks little things in music because it wasn't like the album that made you feel 7 years ago

You've probably listened to that album again and huh

Guess it wasn't as amazing as you thought

But that's only because it wasn't the same moment where you found it .. or it found you

That's the shit I'm talking about

This is why a discredit nostalgia as a criteria for good music. You can distance yourself from it and be critical about it if you're able to manage your emotions. Judging by your reply I'm guessing you can't.

I can't and no one should. Music should be emotionally fulfilling or intellectually engaging and not looked at as a product.. but wait I bet you're gonna call me pretentious now right? Whatever enjoy your bland disengaged approach

Why would I want to manage my emotions when I'm listening to music? Feeling it is why I listen

And please understand that I'm not mad at you or even trying to insult you im just afraid that this approach is killing creativity and killing You as a person as having something to relate to and attach to is needed in this human experience and I realize that music isn't the sole base of this experience but it is the most approachable

>and not looked at as a product

This is exactly what you are doing though. You value an album by its impact on your feelings. It's like a drug to you. Music that appeal only to emotions tend to be more popular. And the more universal the emotion is, the more it will sell. That's why there's a LOT of music about love. It's a cheap trick.

>Why would I want to manage my emotions when I'm listening to music?
Not when listening to it you idiot, when criticizing it.

>this approach is killing creativity

Actually the opposite is also true. There's a kind of degeneracy that occurs with your approach. It comes to a point where the music isn't about music anymore and it's more about politics, religious beliefs and marketing than anything else.

One could make a song about a political party or a belief just to get the attention of the listeners with the same beliefs. Doesn't mean the music is good. Most notable example are white supremacists music and hip-hop. It has gone to a point where the music barely matters compared to the message.

Then that goes back to something getting stale and growing as a person.

What you're describing Is your typical top 40s radio hit listener. Many people who dive into music get tired of hearing the same shit and want to go deeper both musically and lyrically. It's an important process that shouldn't be clouded or negated by self perceived objectivity. It's what was enjoyed in the moment.

Even with music critics I can guarantee that they let something slip through the cracks years ago that they wouldn't bother with now. And you're gonna trust that over yourself? Your own person?

You should just stop giving him more (You)'s

Yes but look at how little of that there is in comparison to the rest of what's out.

>Then that goes back to something getting stale and growing as a person.

You don't have better taste by growing older user. That's pretty silly. btw

huhmagazine.co.uk/9467/new-study-we-stop-liking-new-music-at-age-33

And also, does your mindset means that music teachers are all crooks?

Notice I said growing and not aging.

Growth happens from the inside out.

>Have you ever even experienced music?
LOL

And no they are not crooks exactly but they are teaching a listening situation rather than an experiencing situation. Are your favorite albums not thought out and based on experiences that you can relate to? I'm talking about lyrical music with that statement but consider avant music.. consider noise, ambient, drone

the average person here only "likes" music to convey a certain image. that's why there's the heavy almost child-like reliance to be spoon fed via reviews and those pathetic user-made charts.

>Are your favorite albums not thought out and based on experiences that you can relate to?

Yes, but I'm also aware of which feelings are mine and which are universal. Also, you're basing your appreciation on only one point. What about structure, technique, relevance, innovation. All I'm saying is if you have to rely solely on your feeling to judge music, it's probably because you don't know about music that much.

This is why i'll never understand how people can actually enjoy rap.

flow and delivery

>All I'm saying is that
Usually what's said when you're trying to finalize your statements which means you're cracking which is honestly a good thing.

Music itself was created or found even with the Idea of "hey this sounds nice."

You can have simplistic, non innovative structures and it still sounds nice. It's still relatable.

Knowing a.. again "self perceived" objective Idea about music isn't going to allow you to create something meaningfully

>Usually what's said when you're trying to finalize your statements which means you're cracking which is honestly a good thing.

I didn't know how much you were invested in this. It's not like I can convince you anyway. It's just what it is.

>You can have simplistic, non innovative structures and it still sounds nice.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ct6BUPvE2sM

Read my comment about degeneracy and your way of thinking again. Please, I beg you.

>"self perceived" objective Idea about music isn't going to allow you to create something meaningfully

You're right, but it will help you judging it. Which is my original point.

I think our problem is that you're missing - or blatantly ignoring my point.

Which is: approaching music solely on an objectivity and not on feelings based on your experiences is the antithesis of creative expression. Judging others tastes on this perceived objectivity is the antithesis of growth.

holy fuck this thread sucks. shut up you whiney pussies

>I think our problem is that you're missing - or blatantly ignoring my point.

You too.

>approaching music solely on an objectivity and not on feelings based on your experiences is the antithesis of creative expression.

We're not talking about creating music are we? I thought this was about experiencing music.

>Judging others tastes on this perceived objectivity is the antithesis of growth.

We're not talking about judging other people taste but your own. And being critical about oneself is how you grow.

Again, you're accusing me of something you then proceed to do. That's pretty funny.

Same can be said about an actual musical composition, a vocal arrangement, even a stand up routine or a political campaign speech. But you'd rather listen to some random dude rhythmically talk about their own problems? I know i'm not gonna change your mind and i'm not trying to. If anything i want you to change my mind. I guess it's because i just don't particularly like the sound of people talking unless what they're saying is very compelling. The only rapper i can think of that i like is zack de la rocha because he fuckin screams at you like "the world is so fucked and if you don't listen to me, we're all screwed." anyone you can think of that i could enjoy that doesn't bitch about their own problems or says degenerate nigger things?

I agree with you but the way you word things makes you sound like an asshole

>Just a reminder that
>>>Tumblr

just a reminder that any music that isn't Mad Illusions by Tedy Andreas is objectively un-woke