assets.documentcloud.org/documents/2831088/FOCUS-Beach-Boys.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It is tho.

Objectively wrong.

brits

yanks

Yes

No no NO!
It's NOT Pet Sounds but a loving tribute! (And better!)

"He thinks music is objective!"

It is.

Do you think
>Blood on the dance floor > bacj
??

Well all I meant was I could like something you don't like, and just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's objectively bad, because I enjoy listening to it, proving that music is subjective and everyone has their own opinions about it.

Sgt. Pepper is just Pet Sounds for normies.

>music is subjective

Is this a "things plebs say" thread?

Pet sounds mixed with Freak out!

Dictionary definiton of subjective: "based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions". If you don't understand what this means, take the album Pet Sounds for example. Lots of people think it's one of the best albums of all time. Personally I think it's overrated. I'm not wrong. They're not wrong. We each have our own opinions about music and that's okay. So stop being a pretentious moron and crack a dictionary for once.

You're retarded.

Lol shut the fuck up you little pussy

>MUH EMOTIONS
Top kek

The fact that you're responding with nothing but stupid memes and shit means you ran out of arguments, not like you had any good ones in the first place.

>lmao ur dumb

Childish reason
Hope u die normie

Pet Sounds is harmonically innovative, sang great and the climax and ending to the wall of sound california age.
Sgt Pepper is okay, but suffers from lack of music inventiveness (which is replaced by studio trickery (call me scaruffi, whatever), and would be considered a pretty much normal psych pop rock album if it wasn't by The Beatles.

Well yeah, Rubber Soul inspired Brian to do Pet Sounds, Pet Sounds inspired the Beatles to do Sgt Pepper

that's a spicy meme user

>sgt peppers vs pet sounds
>smile trumps both
/thread

>literally listens to pet sounds once

>smile trumps both
>/thread
Smile wasn't even finished.

It's Pet Sounds. But better.

>Pet Sounds is harmonically innovative
How so?
>lack of music inventiveness (which is replaced by studio trickery
Wouldn't the "studio trickery" be innovative?

>mfw A Day In The Life is better than any Beach Boys song

That's what's even funnier about it

>good vibrations

Well it couldn't have trumped anything because it didn't exist.

Unless you mean Smiley Smile, which did not trump anything

It exists now, faggot
And even then, Good Vibrations trumped any post Revolver shit the Beatles did and more.

>God Only Knows
>Surf's Up
>Good Vibrations
>Don't Worry Baby
>'Til I Die
>Don't Talk

Nah

>It exists now, faggot
OK, by that logic then The Beatles Love trumps SMiLE. They literally defied time itself by weaving a complex tapestry of their whole catalog into one album.

"Good morning good morning" is the def of filler and "when im sixty four" is awful and out of place. Awful b8

>he hasn't heard God Only Knows
>he hasn't heard Surf's Up

>How so?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Only_Knows#Musical_structure

>"Good morning good morning"
dat horn section
>"when im sixty four"
It's fun and creates an excellent nostalgic aesthetic
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Only_Knows#Musical_structure
>cntrl F "innovative"
>no results
Try again.

That's not the logic I used
SMiLE objectively accomplished more on tape than The Beatles accomplished on public recording (or studio shit available to the public) post 66

>Try again.
read it again.

>That's not the logic I used
Well, it is. it was finished retroactively, with a lot of historical revisionism, not by the actual authors. It's an unfair comparison
>SMiLE objectively accomplished more on tape than The Beatles accomplished
Oh, like what?
Show me where it says anything about innovation.

I'm talking as a finished product. And it IS a finished product. 95% of the shit beyond digitally splicing tracks together and the vocal for cabinessence minus the harmonies were already there. It was just piecing together the puzzle.

>I'm talking as a finished product
What release are you talking about?
>95% of the shit beyond digitally splicing tracks together and the vocal for cabinessence minus the harmonies were already there
Wrong.

>Show me where it says anything about innovation.
just because it doesn't fucking have the word "innovation" in it doesn't mean it's not implied

nobody in pop was doing anything close to that complex before the beach boys and the beatles

Sounds like a lot of COGNITIVE DISSONANCE

How so?
>nobody in pop
Harmonic complexity was a thing hundreds of years before pop existed. It can't be innovative.

it's innovative in the context of pop music you retard.

obviously classical musicians have been doing shit like that forever, but who cares?

the debate between Pet Sounds and Sgt. Peppers has gotten so blown out of proportion over the last 50 years...

what are we really arguing here? Which album used more far-out production techniques? Because, I mean really... both albums are comprised of pop songs that didn't even offend anybody in 1968, let alone today.

The arrangements of Pet Sounds are great, but so were the arrangements the Beach Boys had before it. Same with The Beatles.. they always had orchestras at their disposal, they just never had 100 people playing at the same time. But is that even significant at all?

"OUR LAST ALBUM HAD STRINGS, BUT THIS ONE HAS 23 VIOLINS INSTEAD OF ONE"

Like, how does that matter, at all?

Sgt. Peppers isn't even The Beatles best album in terms of songwriting, nor even in terms of studio trickery. They improved on both elements even on Abbey Road for example.

At least Pet Sounds IS the Beach Boys best album, but that's just because the 'nutty professor' vibe Wilson was going for suits their music a bit better. We're talking about an all-white, middleclass barbershop quartet vocal band that did LSD. Like, that's significant.

But a couple lads, you know, real jokesters, from England, who were ALWAYS positing themselves as rebels in the media... made some songs meant you rustle your jimmies a little bit. Again, only a little bit.

Sgt. Peppers was a pretty obvious progression for them in hindsight. We're talking about John Lennon, one of the greatest shit-talking banter-masters of the era. OF COURSE the dude was going to write some out-there stuff, because his entire vibe was to take the piss. The Beatles were never trying to 'keep up' because nobody could touch them. It was just a friendly competition to them because at that time, the possibilities were literally endless. Wilson's antics got Paul all fired up to keep pushing the envelope, and John just kept doing his usual thing....

>it's innovative in the context of pop music you retard.
By this logic, the "studio trickery" in Sgt. Pepper is also innovative.

Nice double standard.

>By this logic, the "studio trickery" in Sgt. Pepper is also innovative.
sure, i guess it is. but pet sounds had its share of studio innovation as well.

i'm also not the guy who said "studio trickery"

>but pet sounds had its share of studio innovation as well.
Like what?

assets.documentcloud.org/documents/2831088/FOCUS-Beach-Boys.pdf

scroll down to "innovation"

It doesn't state how it's innovate. Again, this is how bands recorded back then, before The beach boys.

>The Beach Boys were the first to use multitrack recording!
No.

I want to hear more from you, you should be a music journalist, my man

>Because, I mean really... both albums are comprised of pop songs that didn't even offend anybody in 1968, let alone today.
Reminder that several songs from Sgt Pepper were banned from the radio at the time.

>but who cares?
>le classical is boring and not important meme XD