In season 5 of The Wire, was Herc playing both sides?

In season 5 of The Wire, was Herc playing both sides?

First he leaks Marlo's number to Lester, and near the end of the season, he tells Levy about Lester most likely having a wire up and that's how he got to Marlo

At first, you'd think he's still fighting for his cop buddies, but in the end it seems like he was just trying to cover his ass no matter what. How did Levy not suspect Herc being the one who gave the cops Marlo's number

Also, general The Wire thread

Levy knew ... Levy knows that he himself doesn't have the connections that Herc had in the (former) major crimes unit. He knew Herc would probably leak the number, leading to a mega payday for the firm.

As for Herc covering his own ass he got burnt from the police department for not doing that.

Yes, but only because he's a giant moron. He didn't know the wiretap against Marlo was illegal, so he didn't realize telling Levy they had probably tapped his phone would unravel the whole case. He just thought he had managed to fuck over Marlo.

Basically Herc's entire career was failing upwards.

Levy was no fool, so I guess that does make sense. Whatever happened to Marlo, Levy knew he would get paid either way.

Thank you for sharing a different point of view senpai.

checked

Gotcha. So even when he thought he was being slick, Herc managed to fuck up once again. Amazing.

That actors' face makes me irrationally angry... I want to repeatedly punch it with a train. I was hoping he'd get mauled to death by the dog in Entourage, alas, jail will have to do. How can one fat, bald, ugly motherfucker precipitate such hatred
REEEEEE

I honestly hate Herc and people like him. Anytime something bad happens or some shithead gets away with something they, beyond a doubt, did it's because of scumbags like Herc. Ruined a kids life

checked

>when I was in the joint, I saw Shrek like 100 times, Vince.

He was pretty fucking annoying in both shows.

It's also indirectly herc's fault that bubbles killed his friend gerard(sp?)

>When I gave you that kid to debrief last year, what's-his-face, you were supposed to get him to Bunk Moreland, you remember that?
>Yeah, I fucked up. So what?
>So, it mattered.
>So what the fuck does this have to do with Colicchio?
>It all matters.

Herc always wanted to do the right thing for the wrong reasons. When Carver wanted to move that body in Hamsterdam he wanted to act like a goody two-shoes. But when it mattered he always acted selfishly.

based Carver

I'm also re-watching the Wire and on season 5. It's the worst season, but still worth it to finish out the series.

Butchie didn't have to die, man. He dindu nuffin. ;_;

He didn't give a fuck. It's simple.

That whole season was about people not giving a fuck. Like McNulty with the fake serial killer thing or Gus when he realized that newspapers are deadder than dead when cucks like Scott get promoted even though they're terrible journalists.

This

Carver tampered with a goddamn crime scene and he stayed on the force. Herc jammed up a black pastor and it was like the 5th time he fucked up in the show.

Rate each season of The Wire from best to worst.

Personally: S3, S1, S2, S4, S5

The whole message of s5 was that the winnersvare the selfish pricks

He gives Lester Marlo's number because he wants to do his friends a solid. He still hangs out with cop buddies and giving them a good tip like that is a very good way to get his drinks paid for in the short term. It also lets him "show off" to Lester and there's the fact that despite working for Levy he still hates his clients / Marlo and wouldn't mind seeing him get caught.

When he tells Levy about the wiretap it's him being careless and not considering what Levy might do with that information. For him it's just an interesting bit of conversation.

>Oh sure I was in major crimes once and I worked with Lester, guaranteed he got him with a wiretap.

Not considering the consequences is something Herc does a lot, especially in season four. He tries to shake down Snoop and Chris for information and inadvertently spooks them and gets them to ditch the nail-gun which would have been an exceptional piece of evidence in the case that Lester builds later on. He also completely ruins Randy's life and gets his foster mother killed by running his mouth and revealing that Randy had talked to the cops

Switch 2 and 4 and you're me

>Herc and Carver

Shittiest characters, hands down.

You know what's weird about season 1 of the Wire? It ends with Herc looking like he'll develop into a good cop, while Carver is still acting like a thug in a uniform, but they completely flip it for the rest of the show.

This

>S5E4
>Carcetti: No, no, no way! After all I've been through to toss him out of the plane!? Now you want to pretty up the man's parachute?!

WHAT DID HE MEAN BY THIS??