Are audiences terrible at knowing what good horror is?

Are audiences terrible at knowing what good horror is?

Yup.

This movie is made for patricians only

>of all films, this got good critical reviews

but yeah its hardly surprising the common audience isnt exactly open to the most experimental of ideas.

Lowest common denominator thinks good horror is jumpscares

yes

That's a good point. The types of people who generally watch modern horror films probably aren't the type who are interested in good movies.

If it were categorized under drama I think it would be like a 70% audience rating or something. Maybe it's a bad horror movie, but it's a good people movie, and that's what I like.

WTF STOP DISLIKING MY MOVIE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

This is almost as stupid a strawman as when people say a show is bad and its defeners come out saying shit like "oh maybe you should watch transformers or something with more explosions."

This movie is incredibly overrated and elevated to a level of pretentiousness with its "true to the time" dialogue that makes people who want to seem intellectual flock to it and praise it.

Green Room was a better horror and did a much better job of building tension without trying way too fucking hard to be artsy

Yes, and so are critics tbqh

I think it's a great horror movie, it's just not quite so in your face with the horror what audiences were probably expecting. A lot of the "horror" of the movie comes with the slow dread that is built up throughout the movie.

Movies Audiences are too Retarded to Understand General?

But the dialogue isn't the main selling point. The main selling point is seeing a dread-inducing horror film, which this excelled at.

Except it's a brilliant horror movie.

That's what makes Mulholland Drive so good. There are only half a dozen truly scary scenes, but the whole movie is so intensely wound that even the romance script scene is tense as fuck

I found that it relied heavily on dialogue to build tension, but you could maybe understand at most 1/3 of it unless I'm totally retarded, though I know I'm not the only one that thought that. As a result of that I don't think it set up as well as it could have and kind of flopped. I didn't feel the dread and thought some scenes that tried to set a brooding tone were just goofy as hell (the kid throwing up the rotten apple for example). I thought the ending was alright but not enough to redeem the whole thing.

I agree with that completely, but I don't think this movie did nearly as good a job building tension and setting tone as Mulholland Drive did.

People who like slashers/gore shit don't like psychological horror I think. It's kind of the fault of marketing I think, trailers always use the most compelling scenes and give the impression that it could be a slasher or something. I thought it was a great movie personally.

That's a fair point. I guess what I'm getting at is that the overall tone of the movie was just so unnerving, and I guess not understanding some of the dialogue didn't affect that buildup of atmosphere. That being said, I definitely want to watch it again w/ subtitles.

yes, general horror audiences are drooling morons who want shock scares and found footage

What makes a good horror movie to you then?

Yeah, I wish it had subtitles when I saw it, but I don't think I'm willing to give it another shot with subtitles unless I'm with someone that really wants to watch it and hasn't yet

I've more "scared" by much worse movies. That's all I'm trying to say.

Niggers dying and women being raped

I'd say it depends on what you find scary but fair enough.

>wat, the post

The most impressive aspects of the movie are that its characters undergo changes, the plot is interesting, and the director shows a phenomenal mastery of child actors. The accents are fun and help me immerse myself, but there's far more at work.

nice pic do u mind if i save it?

I don't give a shit about the characters if I have no idea what they're saying then fuck em

Are you a native English speaker? I don't see how anyone who is wouldn't be able to understand at least 90% of the dialogue.

Also, let me ask you this. We're you one of the fucks who was sighing loudly and shuffling around in my theatre?

This film made me realize I had married a plebeian. Just after the final scene, my wife turned to me and said well that was dumb. I was still holding back from screaming YES because I thought they were going to avoid showing unexplainable magic like so many horror films do these days. That final scene was such a huge payoff and I'm so glad they went all in. Also, I filed for divorce several days after citing irreconcilable differences. What do you think Sup Forums? Will the judge see it my way? I can't be with someone who doesn't appreciate this film.

jumpscares and death. Insidious and the ring come to mind

1. Yes and 2. No because I'm not a goddamn mouthbreather, if I hated a movie enough to be that annoying I'd just leave it.

I could understand fine.

nice pasta that.

Most members of the audience don't know shit about anything in general.