Opinions on knives and the such?

opinions on knives and the such?

>tfw custom knifemaker
>tfw newer to the art

Umm i think knives are used to cut stuff

Knives are a tool and an art
I use my kabar for everything

A very useful tool. Can be crafted in a way to look quite magnificent.

i made this from a big barn nail the other day for shits whatda think

OP here.
looks good, Mate. my first one was absolute shit compared to that.

thanks man
used a ball peen hammer and a little anvil i found the the barn

i dream about a custom karambit with a titan bath.

Go to with this thread. They love knoifs over there. Only downside is that the board is slow but it will still be there for about a week

>knives
>pic related

That's cool OP. I watch a lot of videos of people making knives. Hope to do it myself one day, but I live in an apartment right now.

I'd like to save up to buy a nice custom knife in the meantime, but for now I just have an OK commercial knife (pic related)

I think you belong in /k

What's not to like?
You selling for money yet or still in the experience gathering stage?

I've not been brave enough to try and forge my own but I have made some with stock removal.
>Top one is mine, in Elmax ~.020 behind the edge
>Bottom one was bought, HT'd by him in house in CruForgeV, about .005" behind the edge and cuts like a motherfucker.

not op but thanks i saw a youtube video started with small nails last week made like 6 use them for dab tools then did that

Haha, nice

I've started making knives too. Its pretty easy if you do stock removal.

I chose the hard route which i kind of regret. I have to forge, grind, heat treat, grind again, then make handle.

Heat treating is hard :(

Made this out of a piece of armor plate, the stuff they put on armored vans..

It's not finished, I still need to fab up a handle for it.

lets see what ya done so far

Sure, here's one I've forged and done the initial grinding to.

I left it a little thick at the edge before the heat treat, but it still warped :(

Hello from norther finland.

I have Marttiini Condor knife - the brand is shit and meant for tourists, but this model is decent. A plastic handle is more durable and affordable for me and it is more firm to use than coated wooden handle wich might get slippery with blood/fish goo. An actual knife made by a knifesmith with wooden handle would be pretty good but cheapest ones are around 300€, and if I was to drop it in a creek or lake because slippery hands from handling fish I would throw myself after it thus ending my earthly existence.

I have heard that people make their own knife blades out of circular saw blades, it's kind of an bet though - the hardening might be just right or not.

how long have you been doing this

What you got for stock removal?, looks clean.
I'm using a linishing belt adaptor on a bench grinder, belts are a bit course for it though.

a few months.
its hard to give you a solid answer because its not a full time thing, just a side hobby i do as often as i can find the time.

I've legit wanted to get into this hobby for a while. What's the average cost for startup?

yeah im using one of these for the belt sander. Its cheap and it works, its just show compared to the good grinders and it eats through the cheap belts.

Depends on the stock you decide to use, stainless steel, carbon steel, etc.

Also depends on how you plan on removing materials bench grinder, angle grinder, belt sander, sand paper, etc.

slow*... not show

you can start for super cheap if you have heaps of time and patience. what kind of knife would you make? some are easier then others

a small knife you can do for like under $50