What's Portugal like right now lads?

I was in Lisbon during the 2004 euro final and it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. We watched it in a big open plaza. Is it more or less hyped now than it was then?

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymotion.com/video/x2maj5x
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Is it more or less hyped now than it was then?

no, not even close

this

It's like we're not even in the final.

The whole country was crazy in 2004. It was a huge party until Charisteas scored (lol) People are happy now but its not the same thing

Answer frankly guys. Does it still hurt ?

Them beating us in the quarterfinals still hurts.

Them beating the cool as fuck Czech team still hurts.

Them beating Portugal stills make me laff

this, pretty much
you see a couple of people happy but nothing out of the ordinary

Well nobody died, unlike the Bataclan.

we won in 2006, but that doesn't make 2002 1998 and 1994 an less bitter

Edgy and not even funny to be honest

triggered. just liked the Bataclan.

do you people get ouf of your fucking rooms?

Its shit. It doesn't have half the magic it had in 2004.
In 2004 after we beat SPain and gone to the knock out stages, People flooded the streets in my hometown.It was impossible to go anywhere, We even crossed a tunnel that only cars are alowed to go. It was very crazy, i never saw anything like that. ANd i remember watching on TV it was basically like this on every city.
After England the same thing happened...After Holland the same thing happened. Hell, even after when we lost the final, there still lots of people celebrating and getting drunk in the street.

Meanwhile 2016...After Croatia, silent. After Poland, some cars banging the horn. After Wales, Some cars and some people celebrating, but it immeditaly ended like 1h later

Let's face it...Portugal plays like crap and people aren't feeling that pleasure wathcing the boy playing. 2004 was the year, the cup that got away. I'll never forget those memories

But why? Even Germans are extremely hyped even when they win one game, how can a small nation such as Portugal cant be?

Fado music and saudades.

Clubs are way more important. People are emmigrating because their own country is letting them down. Euro 2004.

I heard some horns after the Wales game. nothing else

it was also the year where everyone had a portuguese flag attached to their car

good times

Imagine being Quaresma and having to be all like "damn, Ronaldo, you fuckin' great, all godlike with your tight passes and incredible shots. I would totally pair up with you, both as a team mate and a friend." when all he really wants to do is have another gypsy orgy in his dressing room. Like seriously imagine having to be Quaresma and not only run in that field while Cristiano Ronaldo flaunts his sloppy play in front of you, the favorable camera work miserably failing at concealing his slips and chokes, and just run there, pass after pass, hour after hour, while he continues to fuck up.

Not only having to tolerate his monstrous fucking play but his cocky attitude as every retard at every Portuguese bar screams out he's STILL GOT IT and DAMN, CRISTIANO RONALDO PLAYS LIKE *THAT*?? because they're not the ones who have to be there and watch his womanly fucking goblin feet contort into types of positions you didn't even know existed before that day. You've been fucking nothing but a healthy diet of blondes and supermodels and later alleged rape victims for your ENTIRE CAREER coming straight out of the capital of Portugal.

You've never even seen anything this fucking disgusting before, and now you swear you can hear the "tsuuu" that's breaking out off his deformed throat as he blurts it out to make another one of his three celebration poses, smugly assured that you are enjoying the opportunity to get paid to be there and revel in his "Masterful (for that is what he calls himself)" play, the play he worked so hard for with personal trainers in the previous months. And then the manager calls for the team to pass him the ball again, and you know you could kill every single person in this stadium before the retarded french security could put you down, but you sit there and endure, because you're fucking Quaresma. You're not going to lose your salary over this. Just bear it. Hide your face and bear it.

Because Portugal is literally, literally the saddest country in the world. We are like the highest consumer of antidepressants in OCDE and we always feature very low on happiness rankings

The difference is that in 2004 you guys weren't shut in NEETs so you saw first hand the peoples excitement, now you gauge the excitement by how loud it is outside when Portugal wins.

Can confirm. I was a real human being in 2004

I was in the streets of Lisbon after the Wales match and I can say it wasn't crazy. Party did last about 1hr though it was fun

I watched the Wales match at home, decided to walk to the terreiro do paço fanzone to celebrate afterwards. Everyone was walking the other direction, by the time I got to Rossio the city was abandoned. Were still a few thousand people partying in the fanzone, but it finished at midnight or so, then everyone was gone.

This and honestly what seemed like a party that lasted forever 12 years ago probably wasn't as crazy as your memory is telling you.

Why does everyone in Portugal mix Football with politics ?

>oh so now you enjoy Portugal ohoh but do you go to vote in the elections ? ohoh

This is all very dissapointing to hear, but I'm glad I got to experience it in its hay day. I'll be rooting for my portubros come Sunday

Porto winning the UEFA and Champion's League made it less hurtful for me.

Well its not that bad in Alameda, we win, we scream and then walk off. My group of lads and I tend to cheer up the streets with chants and shit but it isnt the same.

This, cleaned dem Euro feelings right off.

2004 is still the happiest year of my life.

this
Made me very sad actually. I guess we don't want to feel that way again.
At least this time it's an actual team.

Only in the hearts of each city on Portugal.
Terreiro do Paço (in lisbon) is always full of people in every game.

But for all I know, at least more than one million Portuguese partied in Paris.

I was in the Paris fan zone during the Iceland match. Tried to talk to a Portuguese af looking girl in a Ronaldo jersey only for her to reply "ah, dee-scoo-pa, au naow falauw Portugeeees".

And there was a greasy fucker in front of me with "Karalho 7" on the back of his jersey. Smh.

Nothing like it. and heres why

Back in 2004 the Portuguese were actually FANS of the NT.
Now most people only care if the players from their team play in XI, and even after we win every game people will make sure to tell you if "X" or "Z" played we would be much better.

Also in 2004 we played in our own country so theres that.

And the biggest reason why this is not even close is because in 2004 we actually beat good teams with very beautiful football which hyped us up allot.

Everyone back then had a portuguese flag in their windows and now In my home town i don't see a single one.

You seem upset.

We are crazy about the final and the possibility of FINALLY winning a trophy, but 2004 was magical and will never happen again. Times have changed.

dailymotion.com/video/x2maj5x

This video makes me cry.

Make us cry tears of happiness now, lads. Life is grey.

alberto barbosa here

because before the Euro started, nobody thought we were actually going to go very far because we always played like shit. Now more people are hopping on the bandwagon because they think other countries are just jealous of us and salty because they lost and we didn't. In reality, people in Portugal had the same opinions, we played like shit and definitely didn't deserve to be in the final, but just like everything else in that country, portuguese people work exclusively out of spite. Now everybody wants Portugal to win only to "prove" everyone else wrong, even though everyone else is right and they know perfectly well they're right.

There's no comparison with what happened in 2004 and 2006: there was a much more patriotic feeling in the country (it was before the 2008 crisis so people still didn't feel disenchanted with the country) and we had a manager (who ironically was Brazilian) that woke up the patriotic spirit in the entire country. Everybody had flags hanging down their windows back then, you don't see that now. Nobody has flags on their cars, for example. I arrived in Toronto yesterday and I've seen more Portuguese flags here in one day than I have in the last year in Lisbon.

>finish 3rd in the group
>won 1 (ONE) game
>easily the most boring team in the whole tournament
>somehow in the final

Where do you live in Lisbon? I see plenty of flags around my neighbourhood.

Alvalade, there was a bimbo next to me who had a Portuguese flag on her window and someone else who put up a Sporting flag, nothing else. I left Lisbon to my home town just before the Wales game, so maybe that helped fuel the bandwaggon

Onde vivo eu consigo ver algumas bandeiras.

at least they didnt lose to Iceland

>literally the saddest country in the world

not sure if you know what literally means or just half retarded.. probably the latter

The portuguese were never big on hanging flags, it's not about not liking your country, it's just not our thing

2004 was the outlier

nothing special tbqh

just some people saying that portugal is gonna win easily

whats with all the portuguese people in Canada?

I've noticed that on here. Pretty pathetic really.

England fans are quite bad at that too but since >we never go as far you lot its fairly understandable. Its mostly trying to absolve all blame of their team's players and pinning it on the rival's team player. Pretty standard stuff.

portugal are good lads

A grande maioria são dos Açores. É o equivalente à emigração que houve durante a ditadura do continente para a França/Suíça. Os emigrantes mais recentes são geralmente jovens e qualificados por razões óbvias: o Canadá é a verdadeira terra da oportunidade, é uma versão dos USA com vários patches e updates que melhoram bastante a jogabilidade.

>we had a manager (who ironically was Brazilian) that woke up the patriotic spirit in the entire country.
7-1

Queria dizer que os emigrantes mais recentes são jovens e qualificados e vêm geralmente do continente e não dos Açores como antigamente *

In Portugal its all because of Benfica, they employ pundits to go on TV shows to spill hate about sporting and porto and promote benfica to the maximum. Its absolutly disgusting.

Sporting and Porto fans are always chill and can have a conversation about football and the NT but if a benfica fan is around they'll make sure to tell you why every thing wrong with the NT is because 8 out of the 11 starting players are from Sporting, people can't chill anymore and just support their nation team.

Emigra de merda os Canadianos verdadeiros fora de estrabarias como Toronto detestam-te apesar de não te dizerem isso na cara.

Psh this is the first year I'm not supporting the NT, as a Porto fan I've given up on that and the clubisms that surround it.

I did get to see the Iceland game and the Croatia game and they were decent enough despite what people here are saying.

Eu não sou emigra, vim passar férias com senpaiília que vive cá

As an immigrant even I can see this. My Portuguese teacher is a Benfica fan (son plays in their academy) and is always complaining that Adrien, Joao Mario, etc aren't good enough. Always saying that Renato should start (which is probably right desu). I even heard Benfica fans point out that Rui Patricio should have saved saved Poland's goal when people praised his penalty save in the shootout. They just won't get behind a team with so few Benfica connections.

this.
I can't even turn on my TV without listening to benfiquistas trying to make me belive Renato Sanches is bigger than Ro year old ronaldo had.
ronaldo and has the same amout of pontential

Im not a brain washed fucking moron and I can clearly see he isn't even good enough to be in the XI, Im fucking sick of hearing about renato fucking sanches, there are more players in the NT...

he largely got carried by the team. he was good on the motivation department though

Who would you have in the starting XI instead of him?
>>>>>>>inb4 André Gomes

Top quality banter

>it's Benfica's fault people don't give a shit about the NT
Nobody here gives a shit about the NT compared to clubs. Euro 2004 was special because it was here, the rest have all been the same.

I knew sporting CP fans had some weird obsession with Benfica, as well as being mentally retarded on average, but holy shit, this is too much.

Nelly Furtado?

I don't even understand this 4-4-2 meme, I'd play with William - Adrien - João Mário in the midfield and that's it

>Nobody here gives a shit about the NT compared to clubs.
But why is this so especially in a country that used to be so nationalistic? This certainly needs explaining.

The 442 meme is what got us to the final in a tourney marked by the need to defensive teams and tactical perfection.

There's a reason you're not the national team coach.

yes. I still fucking hate Ricardo for that

lol

certainly not fucking renato. He literally misses 8 out of every 10 passes he makes, he has no game vision and 0(zero) dribble ability, keep in mind he is a fucking midfielder. If we played agaisnt teams like france or germany and he missed all those passses we would have lost every game 5-0 he is a huge liability.

Great reply.

He had a shit game against Wales, no denying that, but was pretty helpful in the other games.

The problem with Renato starting is that we have no other player for his spot and function that is better than him (Wales game not included)

>Nobody here gives a shit about the NT
Are you memeing? Even people that don't usually care about football do.

it's like that everywhere, i'm certain of it. the general populaces just don't share the same type of enthusiasm they used to towards football.

I still remember the general state of euphoria all throughout our Euro 2008 campaign. it was insane. now we played even better and had an actual chance of winning it and even after spain the euphoria was minimal. just 3-4 car honks.

there's no magic left

Dude even people like Maya, keep talking shit every morning on her show on CMTV about how the NT ONLY wins when theres atleast one benfica player playing. The average benfica "fan" picks it up and talks shit about other players that take the benfica's player place. Its like this in every show on TV.

Were we ever that nationalistic about the NT? I can't really tell.
When compared to clubs, no, not really, which is what I said.

>Were we ever that nationalistic about the NT?
Is this a joke? Football, especially after the propaganda around Eusébio, has always been the national religion here by far surpassing Catholicism. The NT is no exception, especially when compared to other countries.

What I'm saying is that a lot of people that don't care about club football care about the NT.

Benfica fans complain about Nani, Quaresma, basically any player that didn't come from Benfica.

When I see what benfiquistas say about Renato I wonder if Eusebio was actually more than just an above average player that was blow out of proportions by the pro benfica media.

I think football just isnt as exciting anymore. when you can show all the highlights of a 90min game in 30seconds you know that this semen slurping sport isnt for you

no, because money

I was on holiday in Portugal as a kid and a bunch of local Portuguese kids would come into the resort pool every day and molest any girls 12 or older. Literally molested them.

Reminder that there are Lagartos that think that Semedo is better than Lindelof

Good lads.

Idk, I wasn't born yet but like all things where there are interested parties the truth lies somewhere inbetween.

He probably wasn't as good as the propaganda wanted to make of him but not as bad as you're implying. Somewhere inbetween.

I do take personal insult at him being in the national pantheon though, especially as I've heard at the side of a dear friend of my family. That's just disgusting.

Pls, since 2004 every one had a flag during major tournaments. It has been steadily declining since then, this year was one of the worst.

Why is it disgusting? The pantheon is a farce, and when they put Amalia there, they opened the doors for this. Eusebio deserves to be there, Saramago deserves to be there, even Raul Solnado deserves to be there

Benfica fans:

>Rui Patricio
worst goalkeeper that has ever touched a football pitch
>Nani
Isn't good enough to start in benfica's B team
>William Carvalho
Fat, lazy, slow and only passes the ball to rui patricio Clesio bauque and Fesja are 1000000000 better than him
>Danilo
Demi-God, best DM in the world after Fesja and Samaris
>Adrien
Pizzi is better
>João Mario
Average as fuck, André Gomes is much much better
>Ronaldo
Shit player, very selfish, Eusebios left foot is better than all of ronaldo.
>Renato Sanches
Best player in the world from the best academy in the world

They're not benfica fans, they are Anti-Sporting fans.

>people like Maya influence the entire nation to not give a shit about the NT
das it mane
I wasn't born in the 60's, hence me saying I couldn't tell if people ever cared that much about the NT.
I can tell you this, aside from 2004, I never seen that much passion for the NT.
It's the reality, it's why everyone always bring their clubs to these NT discussions, it's what most football fans here really care about.
Some normies pretending they care for a month won't change that.

It's disgusting that a football player, regardless of his skill which I do believe was top notch, is there especially a known drunk and a man who once said that he wasn't Portuguese but rather Moçambican.

It's disgusting that he lies beside someone like Sophia de Mello Breyner, it literally makes me want to vomit that a football player lies beside her.

Not even playing the he's black card.

>this whole discussion
>They're not benfica fans, they are Anti-Sporting fans
Oh the irony.

>I wasn't born in the 60's, hence me saying I couldn't tell if people ever cared that much about the NT.
And I'm telling you people cared, what did you except under the Salazarist regime?

But something changed and people stopped caring and that needs explaining.

Epic banter right here guys.

Straight to r/Sup Forums

But it was something that started because of all the hype, and because it ain't in us to do so, now it's declining and will go back to virtually 0.

William was barely better than Danilo this Euro.

There were so much better Sporting players in the NT idk why you keep going at this.

Benfiquista here

>Patricio
Pretty solid, still dreadful rushing out, ffs
>Nani
Would not start with me, but since Santos ignores Rafa and Bernardo is injured, he's ok
>William
I like him, but his lack of intensity will hold him back if he goes to the EPL
>Danilo
Better than William defensively, worse offensively, was the best player in Porto this year
>Adrien
improved a lot with Jesus
>João Mário
The future midfild of the NT with him and Renato is going to be amazing
>Ronaldo
Despite scoring a few goals, he's been missing a lot this Euro. And please, stop taking freekicks
>Renato
Pretty good, still needs to improve, was probably our 6th or 7th best player last season

Reminder that Benfica got fucking Gonçalo Guedes and Nelson Semedo to the National Team.

Reminder that Ruben Semedo whos been the best CB of the league after the winter break wasn't called up because the coach wanted to call up a fucking 38yo with reumatico.

Reminder that Gelson Martins scored a bunch of goals and assists and has played 42 games for sporting but wasn't even called up to the games aginst albania and those shitty friendlies because Orelhas junior "Gonçalo Guedes" is a mendes and benfica baby.

Future Reminder that Clesio Bauque and Sancidino are gonna get called up to the NT in place of Iuri medeiros and Podence.

Judging by those comments, they're pretty much obsessed over Benfica, not really anti-sporting.

Ricardo Carvalho was twice the defender Ruben Semedo will ever be.

Fernando Santos was probably counting on his perfect positioning since this Euro we relied a lot on tactics and closed tactical games

This
I sense a general growing boredom, there's just too much of this shit and too much hype. For certain, nobody in England gives a fuck about the national team, not really. We expect nothing and get nothing.

I'm gradually beginning to hate this semen slurping sport, apart from pic related.

>Semedo
>Best CB of the league after winter break
>In a league where Lindelof was playing

FFS user. And c'mon, Nélson at the time got called up deservedly. I still think that if he kept his form he would've started in the Euros