Be me

>Be me
>few days ago
>torrent game (not important what game.)
>play game and all that
> fast forward to today
>get message telling me I'm being sued $25,000 for torrenting
>what do

continue playing game

What game

What game ?

are you in the country the game was created in?

If, per chance, you are danish, it's complete bs and just hand the shit over to the police.

No evidence. Even a shit lawyer can argue that some else used a proxy service that masked there ip as yours. Set computer back a few months, delete torrent programe, and counter sue for profit

Just pay the 25k. Also the FBI knows you have cp, and your phone has 4 major viruses

Do you happen to live in Germany? (stfu anons I can see $)

if they match the MAC address, he is fucked.

You can always change your MAC address m8, its worse with HWID

Tell your mum you torrented a game

That's changeable as well.

Ignore the message

I bet it was the new Madden, huh?

Dishonored GOTY edition

Tell me more.

Bullshit. No one cares if some Sup Forums faggot pirates something. What, did you get a letter or something?

If they got forensic, that wouldn't be hard to uncover by searching the logs?

It'd be an interesting argument to convince a jury/judge that a 3rd party correctly masked their IP as the OPs, which could be a reasonable conclusion. But then to also correctly mask their MAC address?

That could raise the argument this was a targeted attack on the OP, rather than a random selection out of a list of available IP's.

It would probably be enough to raise some doubt on the charge though, however scrappy the presentation may be.

ignore it, most likely a scam.
post the mail/letter here, then I can take a look at it

Get a lawyer asap. It's the best thing you can do. I got fined 2000€ a couple years ago for sharing an album through p2p.

This. Nobody will send the party van to your house for a pirated game.

It's easier to claim somebody cracked your wireless encryption key and used it to pirate.

Ignore it. They just send out the letters and let the money roll in, they don't actively chase people down.

If you're too broke to pay for a game they're not expecting 25 grand off you

Yea, thats the argument I thought of originally.

But again, if they match the hardware used with the MAC address or HWID on OPs laptop somehow, then he is boned.

They probably wont even go that far tbh. It depends though, I mean if you live in the US and this is a real case you're fucked.

>be OP
>lie on the Internet
>wonder why parents hate him

OP should have used a VPN to avoid this whole travesty. $30 for an annual sub, which eliminates all accountability to do with torrenting. Worthwhile investment.