Now that the dust has settled, was this a disappointment overall?

Now that the dust has settled, was this a disappointment overall?
I wish they had done something new.

It was meh desu

Just felt too similar to Jenny Death

Going back to it I ended up liking it a lot more than I remember, although the first few tracks are a bit weaker than the rest.

I disagree

settle down coon

I thought it felt like what Jenny Death should have been and I like it a hell of a lot more than that album but it also isnt as unique as their others were

a few good tracks, not solid all the way through though

the only dg album I really find myself ever coming back to is exmil desu (ms sometimes too); everything else is just too inconsistent

Three bedrooms is one of the best songs they've made

highlight of my year

highlight of my life

Somewhat disappointing, still good but not quite up to the standard they've set before.

Got BTFO by blonde for AOTY btw

It's stellar, definitely up there with their first NLDW, TMS, and Ex-Military.

wrong.
there are 3 bad tracks on the album: the last 2 (bottomless pit and 808s) and trash is aight.

they perfect their formula with deadly precision. A lot of bands by this point in their career start running out of ideas and I think this album is kind of about that
the tracks have a sterile, soulless feel, super clean production, super precise instrumentals. the idea of the album is that death grips as a band is now an out of control, souless mostrous lumbering machine that destroys everything in it's path. Pretty much every death grips album sounds less human than the last, excluding jenny death, this album is like the peak of that I think. plus they get to flex their muscles, which is always cool.

the lyrics of spikes and warping are describe the themes pretty well

I feel like Bottomless Pit is them embracing the ridiculous side of the music and just going all-out with it even more than they've done before (notice me senpai, VERY SHALLOW LISTENING, etc)

exactly. makes you wonder what's coming from them next.

fuck that 80808's godly

>fuck that
>80808

two criminally underrated tracks imo

agreed

giving people, hot head, spikes, and ring a bell are really good but the rest feels like outtakes form jd
i wish theyd do something more like govt or notm

this was a perfect album. Every song is a fucking banger and represents dg very well. Idk why it gets any dislike. I simply think its because it is more refined than the older albums and fans like death grips for its unrefinedness

It's definitely not my favorite of theirs but I don't see why it's so polarizing. It seems like 60% of people think it's absolute garbage and the other 40% think it's the best thing they've dropped. Honestly to me it just sounds like a pretty standard DG record with improved production quality compared to their last few releases.

Yeah, not my favorite. My favorite albums by them are gov plates and NLDW. I overall just think that it is a good album and dont know why anyone who likes death grips would dislike it.

yikes. no way jose.

youre right -- every song is a "banger" because making bangers in this style is easy. the whole project lacks so much of the uniqueness that each project before jenny death had. i can only listen to fast punk power chords and boom boom clap beats for so long before i get bored.

hoping they strip down their sound akin to nldw and gp, and go back to experimenting with textures and flow. thats what drew me to the band.

and i dare say it sounds overproduced at times.

This. I'm not too upset though, cause they earned an album like this (a retrospective) but if they fell off after this I'll probably look back on it harsher. Felt that way with Gov. Plates when I heard it too and then Niggas came out and it clicked hard as a stepping stone

Yup only a few good songs on it.

It's honestly a massively underrated masterpiece. I really don't understand how people can complain that it's not "new" enough, especially when you have tracks like Giving Bad People Good Ideas, Hot Head, Eh and the title track. I blame them for setting their expectations too high. Bottomless Pit is them at peak performance. They got in and got out quick, making sure each track brought something interesting without overstaying their welcome. I especially love the more subdued use of guitars as compared to Jenny Death.

It still can't top NOTM though.

Their best since NLDW. Solid rebound after the disappointment that was Jenny Death.

It's an 8/10 in my book.

SHE'S GOT SOLAR PANELS
FOR THIRTY CENTS A WATT
IN THE FUTURE THERE'S A PARTY FROM THE PAST, SHE'S A COP

honestly the one thing since NLDW that i've liked all the way through

I FOGHORN DEVILS
DEVILS
JELLY

All the tracks are good but (aside from the first two songs) none really bring anything new to the table other than slick production. DG have set a very high bar for themselves with past releases in terms of innovation, and BP is the first release to fail to meet that bar. People compare BP to TMS a lot, but BP feels like them trying to emulate themselves. It lacks the spontaneity that TMS had.

With the pace they release records
I don't mind them making a revisit type record to TMS, together with the new tricks they have learned along the way.
As a stand alone records, it's great.
And if you want something new if they don't release something this year, they'll release something next year.
This beast has grown to big to be put down.

10 imo

this, it doesn't try to be more than that. Still I found it to be their most forgettable record, probably because of that. Bubbles Buried in this Jungle is the shit live though.

also this. Blonde is incredible.

Jenny Death was a bit of a miss, or at least oddly felt like one. But I can't say that there's any songs aside from Hot Head on BP that packs the same punch as Inanimate Sensation, Turned Off or On GP.

BP is solid but Hot Head is the only song on that album that actually feels like it is pushing forward and fucking crushing you under its weight, the rest are a little too neat and tidy for my liking, too easily discernible.

BP is a more well executed project, it sounds a whole lot better and is much more consistent but it's just too safe for them to feel truly memorable.

10/10

this album was absolute prime shit

This one was the best one.

Why? Because I'm too much of a pussy for that hard core experimental punk stuff. Bottomless was heavy but still refined. Perfectly for me.

Fuck the hate

FUCK WEAK, NO RESPECT

when will the "bp isn't new" meme END???

just because it has guitars it doesn't mean it's jenny death (the bp guitars are crisp not burned out) and just because it's catchy it doesn't mean it's the money store - it has a pretty unique sonic palette

but you see, the way it was new, was by not being new. no death grips album before has done this.

I really like it, production is much better than it had been last few albums. I was just disappointed it didn't have a banger. There was no Takyon on this album, no I've seen footage, which was kinda disappointing.

But there was a Bubbles buried in this jungle.
>FUCK
>WEAK

What Album did you hear?

Spikes?
Bubbles buried...
Three ...

Its MC ride's best album but the whole guitar oriented production was a little stale for them

Ride's best is No Love Deep Web followed by niggas on the moon.

It isn't even up for debate.

It is the the album of theirs i have played the least times

BP is what Jenny Death should have been.
It's absolutely still my favourite DG record.

what the shit are you talking about it's fucking nonstop bangers

This. Ride's lyricism and flow was at its highest point with NLDW and notm.

Bubbles Buried is the embodiment of what everyone thinks of when they think of Death Grips.

I really hope their next one is more like exmilitary/Death grips EP

>I'm Ni-agar-a
>falls flowin' crow
>bars
>la la la
>la I got Folsom
>bars
Some of the best flow I've ever bared witness to.

That verse is the only one I like in "Three Bedrooms..."

I want nothing more than to go all in with my love for that track because I think the instrumental is such a fucking great banger, but the lyrics and hooks are just not doing it for me. It is catchy of course but I get nothing out of it.

I think Death Grips has put themselves in a weird place. Their later stuff is wild and hectic enough that it doesn't really invite repeat listenings, but it also makes their early, catchy stuff sound kind of tame and boring in comparison. As a result, I don't really listen to any of Death Grips's career anymore.

I like listening to wild and hectic stuff repeatedly.

me too

I do if it's actually good and not just Zach Hill flailing on a drum machine like a spaz.

I loved it desu
Spikes was one of the best.

It was their most hiphoppey album. I don't know where they'd go next. I liked it when it was new but now I usually opt for other DG albums if I'm in that mood.

Maybe their most fun track to sing along with...
Which seems not very Death Grips like...

1st listen 9.5/10
>HORY Shit new dg
After first week 7/10
>shit Sup Forums is right it is mediocre
When you finally go back to it 9/10
>Still better than most music

this opinion is objectively wrong

his lyricism and overall ability is by far his most evolved on BP

>Still better than most music
yeah this is a pretty sufficient way to sum it all up

>Lock your doors

my back bone slip left to the death
massive procession of cold sweat
stalactite step slide through you're next
get me inside I'll do the rest

master of self contained combust
sustained disgust command him claim
figure eight strut can't be touched
subversive infiltration reign supreme in none me trust
why must them fuck them

comon stick me cut me drain me suck me drink me take me down
feel me one three make your chamber pound and drown

>Black Dice

why you think I'm havin everything you're rimmin ass for askem
whose ass they're rimmin when I'm flaggin
load your cannon shutter flash heavy damage
steady hand shit forget me you can't bitch
slappin click clack tricks stretch please
my sleeves plastic can't breath in this atmos
fuck atlas my ego palms planets
fuck you yeah yeah its that fuck you can't stand slip
cut you cause I can dip

>Billy Not Really

oh why me why me oh i mean oh why me
don't see why i need all these hands can't stand by these
all my palm lines running stretching
cross my palm like blind cross etching
palm mummified chimera filming
bronze my palm now all brown palm now
visit some medium won't come near me
treats me like a meteor
she scares me

>Big Dipper

its my pyre agoraphobe if i want to afford to be consumed
this pyre's my costume get too close it'll lick you
like it likes you cause it loathes you even more than i do

Show me something from BP that competes.

To me it's weird. Like, it's fun but it's also boring, a bit too simplistic and repetitive I guess.

Best song on fashion week anons?

Runway Y, love the strange kick-drum beat on it. Runway W is also supremely underrated.

agreed, it's a next level banger

>Spikes

I’m skidding out
I can’t help yourself, I skid in doubt
I’ve dealt with yourself, I tricked hell out
I’m all helter skelter, I’m on that Faust
None of me left but reflex skidding out
Pulse in my chest feel like it’s fixing to bounce
Bounce, bitch, I can’t be the road
I’m crashing into planes, I crash and stroll
Maxed out my oath
Don’t blame me, I’ve no soul

>Warping

Psychotropic steel trap, rock a beat up Bears hat
Naw man, I don’t feel this and I shit on your guilt trip
Then extinguish your illness like seven grams of thorazine
Tyrannic authority cleansed by your aggressor
Inhuman elitist decline your surrender
Sign of the freak thriving on a bender
Forbidden discipline, all lines disconnected
Vacated premises occupied by my death wish

>Bottomless Pit

Apparitions fire
We desire agony exposure
Ground flesh in heat
Human flesh wreath can’t go nowhere
Too iron to rant, I lift my hammer
Drives us red, bottomless pit rising
Out and through my hammer, like the dead

runway e is one of my favorites

This. Spikes live was a spiritual experience and this was easily one of their best projects.

not the guy you replied to, but I think the lyrics are better on the examples the other user provided. Still the stuff you posted convinced me that the BP lyrics aren't actually that bad. But it still feels to me as if Ride tried to write something purely in the style that he is known to have without actually paying attention to what he is expressing. I don't know if that's clear but to me it seems like words for the sake of words, like he is parodying his own writing style, which kind of ties in with the idea of "VERY SHALLOW LISTENING".

also I think the lyrics on come up and get me and up my sleeves are his best. Especially come up and get me. "My stone wall it's on dog" is the perfect line to start a song and album that uses paranoia as one of its major themes.

this

Is that cum on those balloon thingies?

If so, who's cum is that?

I listen to it during car rides but that's about it.
They need to write like they did on TMS/NLDW. Not as much a fan of their bragadocious side.

I was concerned when I first heard Hot Head, I thought it's going to be unlistenable shit. Thankfully the opening track to this album and some other songs like Ring a Bell left me satisfied. Not their best album, but hey, at least they managed to take their music to the "anti-hip-hop" level.

With more than a fairy it seems like that's the direction they're going in, all out balls out insane, very busy. I think hot head and mtaf are the direction they're going in for their next album, more metal.

Sounds pretty awesome so far, like the pinnacle of what they're building up to with jenny death and bp

runway d

would love to hear something along the lines of govt or notm, hopefully the next album

NoTM > TMS > ExM > NLDW > BP > GP > FW

JD is before BP

notm = TMS > NLDW > GP = JD > EXM > BP > I2016 > FW

i think they just tried to go meta with this album wich kinda breaks what they were going for in the first place
pleasing the mainstream but having the attitude of not giving a fuck

Best album of theirs in a while.

He's just fast. He's still doing intelligible drum patterns, even on the crazy tracks.

Spikes is probably their best pop song, though TMS had some better choruses.

>Probably their best pop song

Hacker is the perfect pop song, they'll never outpop that one.

On second thought I think I agree. Hacker has excellent tension building.