/shugazi/ - Listenalong Planning, Shoegaze, Dream Pop, Noise Pop, Blackgaze, etc

Alright last thread hit bump limit so here's the new one!

We're also planning to do some listenalongs for the week before Christmas at 9pm EST each day during the days December 20 through 26. Pic related is what we'll be listening to.

However, none of this is concrete, so if there's a lot of people that will end up being left out of the listenalong due to it being scheduled at a bad time or on bad days, just say so and the time will be changed accordingly. You can also suggest albums to be put on the schedule as long as you have a good enough reason for it to replace a certain album on there.

So, make suggestions while we still have a lot of time!

Other urls found in this thread:

rbt.asia/mu/thread/S53270141#p53270180
youtube.com/watch?v=XILeGFrjPqk
youtube.com/watch?v=ksRBfsz53Eg
youtube.com/watch?v=yJNsKqm1Xqc
youtube.com/watch?v=mytLkKZGfv0
youtube.com/watch?v=vRufqLBqrYQ
dragonradio.org/
soundcloud.com/svart-records/04-starik
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

So, do you guys exclusively listen to shugazi? This is the comfiest set of genres I've ever listened to.

>week before christmas
>starting dec. 20
????
shouldn't it end on or before Christmas eve or something?

Should I go see Cigarettes After Sex live?

no but i feel like almost 50% of the stuff i listen to is shugazi

yeah

Why is that even a question? I'm fucking envious, go for it user!

who even coined the term shugazi, anyway?

is there a comprehensive guide to shugazi, or anything? what is the entire list of the genres? is it simply just shoegaze, dream pop, noise pop, blackgaze, or is there even more obscure stuff?

the term shugazi came from this thread where this guy didn't know how to pronounce shoegaze and then we started calling the "shoegaze + shoegaze related genres" threads shugazi

rbt.asia/mu/thread/S53270141#p53270180
found the thread

I've been listening exclusively to Alcest for the last week
It's finally getting cold and it's perfect

Lol I thought it was because of fugazi all this time.

it kind of is in a way

same desu

There are times where I basically only listen to Spectres and Sleeping Peonies and stuff like that.

Also repostan since this is a fraiche thread

See you Nashville scum this Valentine's

Yeah sure we can change it to 18th - 24th.

damn i should come out to see this

It's basically used to define what's talked about in these threads.

>reading comprehension

heavy

So the Lilys announced their playing 5 show next year, who's pumped?

That's fucking awesome! Where'd they post that?

What's the link so i can participate in your listenalong party?

bump

Honestly as soon as the weather started getting cold and cloudy and the leaves change color this kind of music really suits my mood. During fall and winter it's almost the only thing I listen to other than new music that I want to check out, or some of my other favorites that I listen to all year round.

>is it simply just shoegaze, dream pop, noise pop, blackgaze, or is there even more obscure stuff?
That's mostly it. I think slowcore/sadcore fits in here too. Stuff like Duster, Low, Galaxie 500 and Pure X.

might go see em as well in montreal

What a revelation! I honestly had no idea.
Not really, though some days I do.
I'm pretty sure people are not yet sure which platform we'll use for the party, I'd assume plug.dj will be chosen.
There are sounds like those of Bowery Electric: youtube.com/watch?v=XILeGFrjPqk

Whats some more heavier, sadder shoegaze than a lot of the stuff I see here?

youtube.com/watch?v=ksRBfsz53Eg

>new slowdive around the corner
>ride too

someone tell kevin to gaze those shoes

ride are shit
sound like blur

I'm so scared the Slowdive album will be shit and then I'll see them live and their set will be mostly their shitty new songs and I'll be even more sad I didn't get to see them during their last tour because Levitation got fucking canceled and I didn't make it to their make up show.

guy on the "We're sad and listen to Loveless every night" fb group posted a pic of him and kevin; said he was working on new material allegedly

Just got apple music give me some good recs! Preferrably some happy comfy shoegaze but I'll take anything good.

Asobi Seksu – Citrus
youtube.com/watch?v=yJNsKqm1Xqc

死んだ僕の彼女 – hades (the nine stages of change at the deceased remains)
youtube.com/watch?v=mytLkKZGfv0

Soda Stereo – Dynamo
youtube.com/watch?v=vRufqLBqrYQ

cheers

i never get when people call my dead girlfriend happy music
there always seems to be something really melancholy about their songs even though it's pretty upbeat

It's everything related to shoegaze.

is goji-sanpun vocaloid?

Yeah. It's just a one man band. The guy who made it makes other vocaloid stuff too, I read, but I'm not sure of any details.
I hate vocaloid, but he did a pretty good job at making it subtle and not annoying.

Crazy, really managed to make it sound pretty natural.

pleb question

where do i start with lush?

spooky, then split then blindspot

I'd say Split first desu

Do people wanna hear the new Kairon; IRSE! Album? I'm going to start my radio show in 15 minutes and I'm gonna play a few of the unreleased tracks.

LETS GET IT FÂMMMMMMMMMMMM

Burnham Beeches
Etheriel
De-Luxe
Desire Lines
For Love
Hypocrite
I Wanna Be Your Girlfriend (The Rubinoos cover of "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend")
Kiss Chase
Ladykillers
Lovelife
Nothing Natural
Ocean
Sweetness and Light
Untogether
500 (Shake Baby Shake)

that basically sums them up as a whole, I love lush

Had to grab my CD case from my car so I'm starting kind of late. follow the link below to listen and I'll play a track right away after the liner, another at 6:30 (my time) and one more just before 7.

dragonradio.org/

no need bruh, I found their track online
soundcloud.com/svart-records/04-starik

I'm playing 3 tracks different from that one.
I have the whole album.
You're currently missing track 2: Llullaillaco. there's another 7.5 minutes left though.

Next track I play is #6: Ruination

Do you guys listen to music while playing video games? Been playing Diablo 2 listening to Japanese shoegaze desu

I missed them but I'm listening to your show now. It's comfy. The Verve sounds a little like U2.

Thanks, I'll be playing the second track off the new Kairon album after this next track.

alright thanks my dude, what's your dj name again? when are your shows?

Mushmouth, you can catch it from 5-7 (central) on thursdays. I'd suggest checking out some of the other shows but a few them have pretty shit taste.

we're going to be shutting down for the winter break though so this is my last show for the year. Will be back up and running january 9th though.

When I used to play video games that's what I did yeah.

What do you do now? How old are you?

Anybody going to the Richmond show? The venue is only about 5 minutes from my dorm.

No way, shoegaze is all about being immersed in the sounds, can't get immersed in it when I'm doing something other than listening to those textures.

>there always seems to be something really melancholy about their songs even though it's pretty upbeat
Sounds like perfect shoegaze to me

No, it's too distracting most of the time. If I'm playing something like Overwatch then I need to hear the voice lines and my team on the mic. If it's something like Witcher 3 then I'd rather listen to the game's soundtrack.

But if I'm playing something like mario kart or mortal kombat with my friends in the room then I'll turn music on.

Yeah they're great, I just can't wrap my head around it when people call it "happy" shoegaze. Even all the images in their art is gloomy.

I am :)

i was expecting some reverb drenched pixie cut girl twee pop, but this is really laid back and atmospheric. diggin those lush modulated guitars and synth-ish reverb auras

>when the vocals are too loud, to the point where they are almost intelligible

what's the /shoegazi/ aoty?

Same. I'm sure it'll be good, but I hope it's good enough for me to not miss hearing them play Avalyn or something.

Haven't listened to new Pink Shiny Ultra Blast or Autolux yet, so I have to say pic related.

haven't seen that posted here yet
what's it like?

very good, though kinda generic at times

I'm hoping to get into this stuff
Can someone hmu with the to 5 albums

Ya

Blood on the Dance Floor - All the Rage
Bullet for my Valentine - The Poison
Black Veil Brides - Rebels
Brokencyde - BC13
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

SWEET TRIP: Velocidy; Design; Comfort
My Bloody Valentine: Loveless
Loveliescrushing: Bloweyelashwish
Bowery Electric: Beat
Grouper: AIA Alien Observer

Quick question, is stereolab shoegaze?

i think people say they're dream pop or something

Please check out Brokencyde - BC13 immediately. That album changed my life.

god i hate the "faux-nihilistic-post-irony-self-hatred" facebook groups

what the fuck are you talking about

Cool enough, I'll give it a listen.

Thanks anons

What do you guys think of this album?

shoegaze is the best shugazi is the best thanks guys

Love seeing that Fauns album. It never gets any mention around these parts.

I really like that Wye Oak album a lot. It's definitely better than their last one.

But I'm not sure it's really shoegaze or dreampop. It's really more just indie rock.

Probably Grandfathered.

tfw i haven't listened to, let alone heard of, these albums. I've got some work to do

Good albums but Sweet Trip and Grouper definitely don't represent shoegaze ((imo))

Either this, Grandfeathered, or Sound of Ceres

Can somebody post that big, branching chart of all the shoegaze albums?

You haven't heard of Pinkshinyultrablast - Grandfathered?

I'm not trying to be a dick, but what rock have you been living under? I'd say it's probably the most widely discussed shoegaze album on Sup Forums and especially in these threads this year.

>Sound of Ceres
I really really love that album, but I'm just not sure their sound is really shoegaze or dreampop anymore. It's great, but it's just too smooth, controlled, and electronic. I'm not saying you can't have electronic shoegaze, but I just don't feel like that's what they're going for anymore.

That being said, I saw this a few weeks back. Fucking amazing show.

I just looked it up I've actually seen the cover a bunch. Guess I just never knew what it was or payed attention.

And now I'm excited that I get to listen to it for the first time.

>not knowing about dehydrogazi

>all the albums
no

Well you obviously knew what I meant. Thanks user, you prick :+)

We're gonna need a new one of these after 2017

Saw that too, hope something comes out next year at the earliest
Pretty sure Kevin's said he's been working on stuff in the past since mbv, just hardly anyone asks anymore