How smart is Sup Forums?

How smart is Sup Forums?

Without looking anything up, explain how earthquakes work.

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/10702873
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

the earth quakes.

Tectonic plates overlap creating an epicentre on the surface sending out rippling waves called earthquakes

God.

Some shit about tectonic plates shifting, or pressure from magma in the core of earth that makes for volcanic erruptions and sometimes earthquakes along with it

It's God's wrath upon the unholy.

taco bell

shifting of tectonic plates

when enough reciprocative pressure builds back and forth from the core and surface of the earth into fault lines, those faults shift and cause a small fracture on the surface, causing the earthquake? i took a geology class in college 7 years ago, this is probably inaccurate but somewhat headed in the right direction

im from chile, IM THE MASTER OF THE EARTHQUAKES!

Tectonic plates collide, niggas go cray

Someone, somewhere, started playing my mixtape.

Pressure from one of three forms of tectonic plate collision is released at the epicenter and the resulting energy create tremors in the nearby earth, most of which cannot be felt.
Source: I once took 6th grade science you fag

OPs mom tripped and fell

OP's mom waking up and putting her feet on the ground

Summon titan

>is this an ebin meme or what?!

Giants who are knocking to make sure there are still people living on the surface

>How earthquake works
Your mom fall in the stairs
CQFD

Your mom falls down.

some shit about tectonic plates colliding into each other or some shit. Dunno man... been a while since I was in the 5th grade

Dubs speak the truth

Tectonic plates shifting

Keke'd

Tectonic plates shifting in one of three ways overlapping, pulling apart, or rubbing against eqxh other (side to side kinda style).

>Not from California.

You have a seismic event which triggers a few different types of waves, I forget the actual names so we'll say X and Y. X and Y interact with materials differently. The depth of the earthquake also determines the potential for destruction. One thing to note is that the point of origin is destroyed. The refractive and reflective properties of materials will affect the seismic waves and how far/quickly they travel. If one occurs underwater the X/Y factor becomes a big deal because of how the waves interact with surface material and water. Tidal waves and shit. The reason you have foreshocks and aftershocks is because of surface material. One seismic event affects material around which can cause collapses and things of the like which in turn causes more seismic events. When tectonic plates slide this is exactly what happens. The long you go without a seismic even the more catastrophic the results you will get. This is because of a build of tension on a plate or pressure point. Pulled most of that out of my ass but fuck you, I'm a cartographer not a seismologist.

Overlap of tectonic plates

Chuck Norris jumped.

strawpoll.me/10702873

>dubs get

An earthquake (also known as a quake, tremor or temblor) is the perceptible shaking of the surface of the Earth, resulting from the sudden release of energy in the Earth's crust that creates seismic waves. Earthquakes can be violent enough to toss people around and destroy whole cities. The seismicity or seismic activity of an area refers to the frequency, type and size of earthquakes experienced over a period of time.

Earthquakes are measured using observations from seismometers. The moment magnitude is the most common scale on which earthquakes larger than approximately 5 are reported for the entire globe. The more numerous earthquakes smaller than magnitude 5 reported by national seismological observatories are measured mostly on the local magnitude scale, also referred to as the Richter magnitude scale. These two scales are numerically similar over their range of validity. Magnitude 3 or lower earthquakes are mostly imperceptible or weak and magnitude 7 and over potentially cause serious damage over larger areas, depending on their depth. The largest earthquakes in historic times have been of magnitude slightly over 9, although there is no limit to the possible magnitude. Intensity of shaking is measured on the modified Mercalli scale. The shallower an earthquake, the more damage to structures it causes, all else being equal.[1]

You got your subduction zones, and then you got the other kind. It's science, basically. Plates and faults and shit.

Witnessing her ass in motion

Lol, everyone is explaining why earthquakes happens instead of how it work

Sup Forums is so retarded when its full of americans

Your mom walks to the bathroom

EARTHQUAKE IS MADE WHEN PLATONIC PLATES SHIFT, EZ PZ

Its when tectonic plates shatter at fault lines

So explain how they work faggot

fapping

you should get your money back.

fucking magnets

>How earthquake work
>Tell you plates collide
The plates collide, you dense motherfucker, like when your mom hit your groin, you shake? That's the same!

explain how your mom can still walk after taking so many dicks

>Without looking anything up, explain how earthquakes work.

In the case of a strike-shift fault, two land masses build up pressure and need to resolve that, so they move along the faces of an existing fault. Good enough?

Tectonic plates shift into each other or some this and bam 10 thousand people die

Pretty sure fags fucking each other in the ass pisses off God and boom your house collapsed

shifting along fault lines. Boom

Subduction of continental plates

topkek

explain how you can still talk after sucking so much cock

strawpoll.me/10702873

nice jib

Potential energy builds up between tectonic plates as they try to move past each other and the massive friction and pressure of such a large body prevents them from doing so, eventually they shift and cause an earthquake

the mole people

a land whale jumps

release of energy when tectonic plates grind against each other

Aliens

OP stands up from his battlestation to grab a hot pocket

No just overlapping depending on the the location the tectonic plates slide and the release of the pressure causes earthquakes