Wheel of time

so i guess this is getting a tv show

source?

/r/wot

story wise, I can see how it would work as a TV series... it can be broken down into episodes and reach various high points for mid-season and season endings. Its set up quite well for that.

Casting it will be a problem. Also, how they handle the use of the OnePower with CGI/Effects can also be a problem.

They better not nerf anyone's powers either, thats the best part of WoT is how off the charts some of the characters are.

WoT unfortunately seems the sort of source material that would be far easier to massively screw up, than to adapt into something worthy. I still think the safest format would be anime.

The only way it would work is as an animated series

I agree, animation is the only way to do it real justice. Yes, its very easy to screw it up too.

>I had two nicknames in 'Nam. First up was Ganesha, after the Hindu god called the Remover of Obstacles. He's the one with the elephant head. That one stuck with me, but I gained another that I didn't like so much. The Iceman. One day, we had what the Aussies called a bit of a brass-up. Just our ship alone, but we caught an NVA battalion crossing a river, and wonder of wonders, we got permission to fire before they finished. The gunner had a round explode in the chamber, jamming his 60, and the fool had left his barrel bag, with spares, back in the revetment. So while he was frantically rummaging under my seat for my barrel bag, it was over to me, young and crazy, standing on the skid, singing something by the Stones at the of my lungs with the mike keyed so the others could listen in, and Lord, Lord, I rode that 60. 3000 rounds, an empty ammo box, and a smoking barrel that I had burned out because I didn't want to take the time to change. We got ordered out right after I went dry, so the artillery could open up, and of course, the arty took credit for every body recovered, but we could count how many bodies were floating in the river when we pulled out. The next day in the orderly room an officer with a literary bent announced my entrance with "Behold, the Iceman cometh." For those of you unfamiliar with Eugene O'Neil, the Iceman was Death. I hated that name, but I couldn't shake it. And, to tell you the truth, by that time maybe it fit.

animemind

There is no way this will be 14 seasons. They will truncate the story massively. Expect it to be about the finding of Rand and friends and their eventual fight with the DO, but with many characters condensed down, and the same with storylines.

The bigger problem with staying true to the books is the minor characters. If you want some of these characters to appear for a bit in one season, not show up in the next few, then come back again where they're pretty much going to be in most episodes... Those aren't going to be easy contracts to write.

Channeling will be a potentially disastrous problem. How will they manage to show that effectively in a live action show? What about Trollocs and Ogier? The Green Man? All of this could be adapted well if animated. But live action? I think the chances of a live action show coming off very badly is incredibly high. It's not just an issue of too many characters and too many books.

An animated version could also be potentially awful, and certainly would not guarantee something as beautiful say as those old Rankin-Bass 1970s versions of The Hobbit and The Last Unicorn, but something similar to either of those could make for an excellent version of WoT. Live action in contrast just seems far to likely to be either silly or nearly unrecognizable to the source material.

To do it live action they will need a fuckhuge budget, even bigger than GoT. If not the magic which gets used constantly will look like garbage and ruin it all. With animation it would be much much easier to do that sort of thing without costing a fortune in CGI. Having siad that I would love to see it done well live action.

I also think that even though it is such a long series it should still work pretty well though. GoT has a ton of plot threads but not really a huge amount of fluff. Whereas WoT has an enormous amount of filler bullshit that could be trimmed out entirely with no loss to the overall story.

Poor guy. Getting a constant reminder of the men he killed. Fuck, I'm glad I'll never go through war.

Awesome another fantasy series that will have major deviations from the source material that we get to listen to fanboys bitch about for 10 years

people seemed to handle Sandersons interpretation of the story pretty well. I didn't like it at all though. certain characters like Matt were unrecognisable.

How does this series compare to ASOIAF? I'm almost done with it and would move to WOT if it's worth it.

got is much more grounded in comparison, whereas wot is very much high fantasy/chosen one to save the world etc. I'd say got is like a political drama that happens to take place in a fantasy world and wot is a fantasy world through and through if that makes sense. They both have a ton of characters and plot threads, but overall got feels more focused, while wot often drags in places and things that should've been a paragraph blow out to multiple chapters.

it's good and I definitely enjoyed it, just be prepared to slog through it at times.

I'd love if Guillermo Del Toro wound up with this project

>it's a Tremalking cargo cult commits mass suicide when the Choedan Kal is used episode

Pretend you are an editor for this.

You have 5 seasons to finished to story.

What (or more importantly, who) gets cut?

>cut Min
>cut Fail
>cut 75 percent of Ajahs
>cut book 2, 7, 8, and 9 entirely

What else needs to go?

>it's a Rianna Andomeran looks exactly like Robert Jordan's wife, has the Talent of making others' blood boil, and gets punched in the face when she tries to talk episode

>>cut Min

MIN?! OF ALL THE FUCKING WOMEN OF THE BOOKS?! ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MIND?!

Why would you cut "The Great Hunt"?
If I was the editor working within these parameters I would still cut nothing and release it in two hour long episodes.

2, 7, and 9 have some of the best scenes in the series, Min is best girl, Ajah politics are awesome

Replace Perrin with Elyas and delete Faile
Delete 90% of Eye of the World
Delete Valan Luca sequence
Delete all Sanderson input

I'm a little worried about this TV show desu.

This doesn't feel a lot like a series that could go well on the screen.

A vast majority of the books are spent with the heroes walking, talking, and meeting people. The other books are filled with sisters plotting things that will happen 9 books from now.

It's an amazing book series, but I don't know how they'll manage to make a TV show out of it.

Also, who the fuck would play Rand?

Keanu Reaves

Keanu Reaves could not pull of Rand for the life of him.

It'd have to be someone much younger.

Keanu might be able to do Lan though?

Pic related might be a good Matrim Cauthon.

Underrated post.

>It's a "Matt almost gambles his friends to death in an immortal town full of bewitched savages" episode

>Ajah politics are awesome

Agreed, but there are just too many characters.

That reminds me:

>cut Seanchan and Orgeirs

>If I was the editor I would still cut nothing and release it in two hour long episodes.

You have to cut something. There's no way a 14 season show with 2 hour episodes will air. I love the books but they do have a lot of filler.

>Cut out Perrin. Seriously. All of Perrin and his subplots and storyline.
>Replace him with a character Matt gets into mischief with from the start but dies at the end of S1

>just too many characters

Not him, but I see your point. I'm reading the series now (on book 10) and I will admit keeping everyone straight is not as easy as I thought it'd be.

>casting old men as teenagers

>cut Perrin

Fuck off. Perrin was a very important aspect of Rand's life. He acted as his connection to humanity many time.

>>cut Seanchan
>no magical petplay fetish

nah.

>its a Perrin wanting to fuck wolves episode

>Delete all Sanderson input

Oh is it a hipster nerd thread? Cue the Sanderson hate because he's popular.

>cut Perrin

I like it. Mat and Rand are all you really need.

Perrin as a character is good, but his subplots are non-essential. The wolfdreams would probably be terribly adapted, anyway.

nah

Keep Aiel girl and Egwene. Cut Min and Elaine.

Rand has too many fucking girls, it would be ridiculous to have all of them in a 5 season adaptation.

Fuck your face with a sandblaster.

I don't blame Brandon Sanderson for slacking after being given the task of completing the Wheel of Time; he was already a successful author and had his own projects he wanted to complete. Him choosing to not even try to read Robert Jordan's three million words of notes after two months is fine. I wouldn't want to pore over that stuff either. And hey, if he wanted to spend lots of time on social media and playing Magic: the Gathering, that's a perfectly okay use of time, too. If I were guaranteed a payday and could just write based on emotional content and let a team of fact-checkers run it by fandom wikis and ignore the notes, why not do it? It was surely a career booster. Sanderson did the right thing.

Considering finishing an extremely long-running and beloved series like WoT for a deceased author is a nightmare of a task, I'd say the last few books came out as well as can possibly be expected.

Compared to garbage like Winter's Heart and Crossroads of Twilight, they were high fucking art.

Opens with Black Ajah turned forcibly to the Light. Great scene.

Perrin's wife stolen. This is the shittiest plot thread in the entire series, worse than even Olver's story, but the setup here is interesting, even thrilling.

Darkfriend bro manipulates Elayne. Rare example of the dark side showing actual cunning.

Rand awkwardly formalizes his polygamous arrangement. Hilarious scene.

Forsaken decide to kill Rand before he can cleanse the source. You could cut the suspense with a knife following that brief interlude.

Mat: gets the ball rolling on his Dragons idea, is raped by Tylin (who is then eviscerated by a gholam), rescues Joline from Seanchan enslavement, learns Tuon's identity and marries her. Classic Mat!

Powerless Rand stealth murders rogue Asha'man in Far Madding aided by Cadsuane's array of Q-like gadgets, and Lan. One of my favourite bits in the series.

The gang cleanses the source while under siege from every Forsaken. Epic.

Winter's Heart was fucking awesome. Not one dull moment to be found. Possibly the best entry in the entire series.

>I had two nicknames in 'Nam. First up was Budai, after the Hindu god called the Fat Buddha. He's the one with the fat belly. That one stuck with me, but I gained another that I didn't like so much. The Pooman. One day, we had what the Aussies called a bit of a brass-up. Just our ship alone, but we caught an NVA battalion crossing a river, and wonder of wonders, we got permission to shit before they finished. The gunner had a poo explode in the anal chamber, jamming his butt, and the fool had left his diaper, with spares, back in the revetment. So while he was frantically rummaging under my bum for my diaper, it was over to me, young and crazy, standing on the skid, farting something by the Stones at the top of my ass with the mike keyed so the others could listen in, and Lord, Lord, I rode that ass. 3000 shits, empty intestines, and a smoking butthole that I had burned out because I didn't want to take the time to change. We got ordered out right after I went dry, so the artillery could open up, and of course, the arty took credit for every poop recovered, but we could count how many turds were floating in the river when we pulled out. The next day in the orderly room an officer with a literary bent announced my entrance with "Behold, the Pooman cometh." For those of you unfamiliar with Indian folklore, the Pooman was Death. I hated that name, but I couldn't shake it. And, to tell you the truth, by that time maybe it fit.

You could make an argument for it NOT being the second worst in the series by just barely being beaten out by Path of Daggers. I'd accept someone who said it was the third worst.

But the best? Are you fucking high nigger? No. Pls go.

My biggest problem is that Rand is a redhead.

Therefore, the show will fall victim to the Ginger Genocide and Rand will be played by a black guy.

kek

Or they could just make him a blond

I did make an argument. I used evidence and cited eleven (11) scenes which I thought were great!

Aiel are dumb jocks who can't swim so I'm for this

Well I'm glad you found something you liked, because I certainly didn't. Neither did most of the fandom.

Books 8-10 are generally accepted as the low point of the series.

I don't like 8 or 10 either. Too bad 9 is mindlessly lumped in there when it contains at bare minimum 11 great scenes, as detailed in previous post.

11 great scenes, holy shit, you can't ask for more in one novel. Most novels barely have one great scene, but Winter's Heart had ELEVEN!

>it's a Mazrim Taim is Demandred episode

I honestly can't even remember each book as a separate thing. I read them all in about a month in a half, a couple of times I would read one of the books in a day and half. I do know that about 95% of whatever it is that elaine does could be cut though.

I feel like establishing padin fain as a more considerable threat would be better too. he was built up to be dangerous as fuck and kind of fizzle out.

>Casting it

Rand - Idris Elba
Egwene - Lupita Nyngogo

>It's a Nynaeve tugs her braid episode

Lupita would make a pretty good Tuon.

>it's an Elayne unwittingly uses a sex toy ter'angreal and everyone is too embarrassed to tell her what happened episode

Oh God. Every motherfucking page.

angry chinese cartoon girls make my dick rock hard

>it's a Tylin rapes Mat episode

>it's an any female character is a haughty bitch episode

CUT BOOK TEN
CUT FUCKING BOOKING TEN