The Funimation dub is the quintessential version of DBZ simply because of the Bruce Faulconer score

The Funimation dub is the quintessential version of DBZ simply because of the Bruce Faulconer score.

kikuchi's score sounds outdated and while it worked for DB, Faulconer's score prefectly captures the mood and atmosphere of DBZ

youtu.be/sJMAb88v8eg

youtu.be/7op_0HLKl9c

I dare you to prove me wrong

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6lGuDTRilKQ&list=PLJAC-lVi9SnDI4-V4EEOfL9J1ruUJHOPg&index=31
youtube.com/watch?v=meLpNgVIFnw
youtu.be/liVERdqmyW0
youtube.com/watch?v=QcWpBZQ7qyc
youtube.com/watch?v=6lAqGKn-FVY
youtube.com/watch?v=BNcmzi9SYAk
youtube.com/watch?v=6lGuDTRilKQ
youtube.com/watch?v=g8Hlq869oZA&nohtml5=False
youtube.com/watch?v=Lm77VCkf_do
youtube.com/watch?v=ifHPdN9Y9Es
youtube.com/watch?v=kB5JZquHfmw
youtube.com/watch?v=heqvwbMuzuM
youtube.com/watch?v=Dq8XVqvu4SA
youtubedoubler.com/?video1=U353fi-RC-A&start1=0&video2=v6mK24p0UZw&start2=29&authorName=TheGoldFighter
youtube.com/watch?v=OYirNgH4eaQ
youtube.com/watch?v=sfTt5kmJmzo
youtube.com/watch?v=o40JlfPou20
youtube.com/watch?v=eON5O5MRz5M
youtube.com/watch?v=x8zsE5zdlsQ
youtube.com/watch?v=yjPAx5-vD_A
youtube.com/watch?v=ff2GeDvjgtQ
youtube.com/watch?v=27VqrMTljjw
youtube.com/watch?v=6R-P-ovbKP8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Ameritards literally need voice overs for every character's concerned look shot.

Yeah no, Ocean dub is still superior, but good try.

Yeah, Faulconer's soundtrack is a big part of my enjoyment of DBZ

Found that out when I watched a couple of the movies he didn't score

Dragon Ball is still the best thing in the franchise though

the american music is terrible. Lack the drama than the original score transmited

youtube.com/watch?v=6lGuDTRilKQ&list=PLJAC-lVi9SnDI4-V4EEOfL9J1ruUJHOPg&index=31

Best theme in the series, Jap music was shit.

Faulconer's soundtrack is absolutely terrible. People only defend it because of Cell or Vegeta's theme, and seem to forget about the unnecessary distorted guitars and xylophones during any other given moment. It sounds so cheap and unprofessional, it's borderline parody.

Kill yourself, OP.

If you're this autistic about it you should learn moon speak where Goku is voiced by a woman

just be glad super is kicking ass

Agreed. Faulconer's music is GOAT.
youtube.com/watch?v=meLpNgVIFnw

I disagree. The American score gave it drama

The music perfectly sets the mood whereas the Japanese score sounds campy

youtu.be/liVERdqmyW0

Back to Sup Forums disgusting weaboo.

compared to the cornier japanese ost? maybe you need to listen to them and compare.

I didn't mean the dub itself, it's just silly that they had to have the chatacters thinking out loud when it's obvious what they're thinking.

The American version is much better and way more iconic, only weaboo fucks who think everything made in Japan is goat would think otherwise ...just look at those YouTube comments

The american bso is shit. Stop this meme.

I wouldnt have loved DBZ so much as a lad if it wasnt for the great US soundtrack. Gave it real drama.

I mean sheet:

youtube.com/watch?v=QcWpBZQ7qyc

youtube.com/watch?v=6lAqGKn-FVY

I like both soundtracks desu senpai

It's Dragon Ball, what the hell part of it isn't corny? It's a space monkey boy with a bunch of friends named after foods and inanimate objects fighting off wacky characters.

American music a shit

as somebody who has never watched DBZ, i think the japanese version is better 2bh

This. Toriyama started it as a spoof and it seems he never took it seriously.
Dragon ball is shit, desu

IF you really want to piss weebs off say the voice acting in the US version is better. Which is true.

no different than your average capeshit honestly

but thats a fact

>some 100+ year old woman is a great voice for goku

weebs are delusional

The anime is shit in any language. Read the manga.

First 54? However many episodes Ocean dub did before funimation took over, I need the ocean dub music and voices.

The rest of the series I need Bruce falconer music.

I can't watch the series any other way. Shit just doesn't feel right.

Wasn't the score for DBZ Linkin Park and Disturbed?

Japs suck at writing music

>just look at those Youtube comments
>look at those Youtube comments
>those Youtube comments
>Youtube comments
>Just

Sounds like capeshit T.B.H.

>MTV dubs Initial D
>rap music starts playing
>Ayy yo Tak

Americans are such retards.

somehow this is better

youtube.com/watch?v=BNcmzi9SYAk

Than this?

youtube.com/watch?v=6lGuDTRilKQ

weebs better start explaining

I completely agree OP, it turns DBZ from corny to gritty. I don't agree with all the choices in US dubs but the score was definitely more on point with the tone of DBZ.

The first Broly movie wouldn't have had half the impact without that badass 2000s nu-metal/post-hardcore soundtrack

They even used some OG trip-hop like Handsome Boy Modeling School in that one. Wish they could have gotten the rights for stuff like that in the main series

>Super doing anything but being trash
You're gonna have to bait harder than that boyo

If I remember correctly the US dub of the latest two movies had some decent soundtracks too

>tfw you'll never Rock The Dragon again

as someone whos never watched this manchildren shit, i can unbiasedly say the 2nd part of each of your videos is much better

that is undeniably true. The DBZ jap dub is abysmal, easily one of the worst dubs i've ever heard

You don't know what corny means.

youtube.com/watch?v=g8Hlq869oZA&nohtml5=False

post a jap theme better than this

Faulconers score is good for the action scenes and good moments but he doesnt know the value of silence and the score never shuts up

Also holy shit the picture quality is so bad in the orange bricks. Dragon box until i die

>mfw watching the English dub with the objectively better nip music

youtube.com/watch?v=Lm77VCkf_do

Only Goku's voice is bad in the nip version. While I really like Vegeta's dub voice, the nip version just fits the character much better.

i cannot prove you wrong, because you are right

ocean dub is objectively worse in every single way except for vegeta, where i can see how some people could prefer his voice actor

Falconer's score is generally terrible. If you download the whole DBZ soundtrack and listen to it, 95% of it is shit.

Completely agree. Kai is dog shit

groovy

It's surprising to watch the Japanese original and see how much different the US dub sounds and feels. While DBZ is pretty normie, Faluconer's score approaches something close to auteurship; he replaces a seemingly mediocre score and completely transforms the mood.

youtube.com/watch?v=ifHPdN9Y9Es

>The Eurobeat was replaced with this shit

>badass 2000s nu-metal/post-hardcore soundtrack
so these people do exist...

youtube.com/watch?v=kB5JZquHfmw

I'm surprised they got away with this much cursing.

I don't know why these localization companies back then thought that they even need to change the music. Did they think it's too complicated for American kids or something? I'm pretty sure no kid ever had issues with the score in Star Wars for example.

Anime has extremely good music. On average it's probably the best soundtrack music anywhere.

>the first video
So the American version added dialogue were it didn't have any? damn, you guys got cheated.

Take the moment with tien and yamcha for instance. Both characters are left speechless, and yet the American version removes this element of unbelief by adding bias commentary. This dialogue changes the mood of the fight, and guides the audience unnecessarily.

Is the ocean Dub the one where Android 16 didn't sound like a generic robot? That was much better

DBZ was just scored really weirdly.

Like it's not Star Wars, I'll tell you that. The music of Star Wars understood proper emotional beats.

The Japanese score would often have no music during fight scenes, or other bizarre uses of silence.

Not to mention the whole, I guess, "retro" martial arts movie score it was going for stopped working for it once it brought in aliens and focused on more scifi elements.

>Not to mention the whole, I guess, "retro" martial arts movie score it was going for stopped working for it once it brought in aliens and focused on more scifi elements
This right here. That music was fine in Dragon Ball but it seems really out of place when a planet is about to explode because of an all powerful alien

To be fair most Jap voices are shit. It's either some slow droning voice or screaming like a faggot

Japanese Goku is the most retarded voice Ive ever heard

Is the theme Piccolo had from Dragonball his theme through DBZ in Japan? If so I'd say it's superior

youtube.com/watch?v=heqvwbMuzuM

I read about the localization of Pokemon once, and apparently they re-scored it to sound more cartoonish so it would be easier to understand.

Voice acting in anime is on a completely different level than in American animation. The actors usually go to voice acting school for years, have a lot more experience, and need to do a much wider range of performances. They also do audio dramas and have to be able to sing.

I don't care how many years they go to school. The Japanese accent is dogshit

this is just Dragon Ball music. Why did Japan just use the same music all the way through DBZ?

What accent? They aren't speaking in a foreign language.

Has anyone combined Falkener score with Ocean dub? Best score best voices.

Well the thing you have to understand about anime music and most music done for western shows, is that anime music uses a technique called "tracking".

Typically, what happens with an anime, is that a composer (or group of composers in some cases) writes up a "library" of music for the show. Stuff like Action Cue A, Comedy Cue G, and all that, and a music editor then places the music into the show.

The benefits of this is that the music is often more listenable, as it wasn't written to match each scene, and it's also usually higher quality in terms of orchestration, because they usually afford to have live players play it.

The downside is that usually the writer only composes an hour to two hours of music for about 26 episode doses. That means music repeats, and sometimes for longer running shows (like Pokemon) the music will end up repeating a lot of times.

I understand kind of what 4kids did. They used the Japanese score, but went ahead and hired additional composers to add more into the mix, so there was less overall repeating.

Granted, once they hired composers for that, they hired them for their other shows, and soon enough, none of the anime they were dubbing featured the Japanese soundtracks.

A B S O L U T E L Y B A S E D

youtube.com/watch?v=Dq8XVqvu4SA

The original score is much better.
I like many of Faulconer's bgm like Cell's theme but some of that is just boring noise. If I remember it was only a placeholder music.

How did this thread go so long without this link:

youtubedoubler.com/?video1=U353fi-RC-A&start1=0&video2=v6mK24p0UZw&start2=29&authorName=TheGoldFighter

That sounds like it applies much more to daytime anime than late night anime. Late night anime often has music that's written for a particular scene and doesn't get repeated, or is repeated very little.

based on what?

Tracking is very predominant in the anime industry, regardless. Next time you watch a show, pay attention particularly to the music, and how it's used and repeated. It's various obvious after watching long running shows, but most 13-26 episode shows still have an editor placing in music from a library.

One of the shows that didn't do this recently was the latest Fate/stay night adaptation. The composer went ahead and wrote something 600 pieces of music with an orchestra for each scene.

The overlong lingering shots of characters reacting to things/staring each other down are clearly there to stretch the episode for time, and to save on animation. Don't act like it was some sort of artistic decision. At least the Funi localization tries to inject a little bit of life into it.

I listen to a lot of anime soundtracks so I know tracks get repeated, but it must be a lot more common in daytime anime due to the differences in length.

It's not necessarily possible to tell if some track was recorded ahead of time with some mood or vague idea in mind or if it was specifically made for the scene it's in.

But whatever the case, the quality is outstanding and that's all that matters.

I have not watched Super yet, is it really terrible?

Yes

No

And also: daytime shows may be more repetitive in nature and as such don't need the music to be as specific.

>It's not necessarily possible to tell if some track was recorded ahead of time with some mood or vague idea in mind or if it was specifically made for the scene it's in.

It is notable if you listen close enough to the music itself.

youtube.com/watch?v=OYirNgH4eaQ

This track is from a library. You hear it repeated many times in a show, and doesn't really contour in any particularly odd ways to match a scene at hand.

youtube.com/watch?v=sfTt5kmJmzo

This track write here was written specifically for a fight scene in a single episode. Note how there are the occasional random changes of mood and tone. It's all to fit what's going on visually on the screen at the time.

That's not what he was complaining about.
The choice was made to dub a generic grunt into every single one of those reaction shots, so as to not bore children.
This is extremely patronizing. Would you as a kid have tuned out and changed the channel because of a dramatic silence?
One of many reasons, not the least of which is Faulconer's keyboards, for why the old Funi dub was mediocre shit.

maybe

The Funi dub was undeniably shit starting off, but it has improved over time, and I'd even go as far as saying that it's damn good now.

To be fair this isn't meant for adults let alone young adults.

Like all anime.
:)

>dat Vegeta's Super Saiyan Theme

I don't mean tracks that repeat often, I mean tracks that are only used once or twice. A track could be written for a specific scene and then maybe reused later, or it seems like it was written for a specific scene when it actually wasn't. You can't necessarily tell. Even if a track is written to go with a scene it doesn't necessarily closely match the action.

>The dub and Faulconer music score is better.

I can end ops shit in one fucking sentence.
>Implying alterations to film makes things better.

The original is always better George Lucas.

>Watching Dragon Ball Kai.
>Freeza comes to earth.
>Trunks kills his men.
>Funimation put a fucking Bill Wilhelm scream in the fucking track.

This sounds like it should be on the Mega Man 8 soundtrack, or maybe Sonic CD.

>Funimation put a fucking Bill Wilhelm scream in the fucking track.
That's Sabat. He runs a studio that does all the DBZ-related dubbing now. Guy is a fucking hack.

>A track could be written for a specific scene and then maybe reused later

That's a common practice for a lot of shows that score their stuff to picture. Like, they'll write original music for X amount of episodes, and suddenly they've got hours of material already written, so sometimes they'll sneak in a track they've used before, or edit a track in some ways to make it fit better.

But just looking at things from a sheer production standpoint, what we're talking about inherently works differently.

With a lot of anime, they'll write the music given information about the setting, the characters, and all that, but they're not looking at a screen of footage and trying to match that 1:1 so it's all gels together.

Even if a track is only used one or two times, that's usually just a result of an editor not finding much of a use for it, or the show being short of enough where it really didn't need many repeated tracks, but the tracks were still written in the fashion of being used in a library to be later edited into the show.

When you write to picture, that's the entire process from the ground up. You have individual episodes, and you write the music just for them.

I bought the full Neon Genesis Evangelion soundtrack years ago, and I am amazed at how much unused music got made for that.

Trying to perfectly match the music to the footage can turn it into wallpaper music where it does perfectly accentuate everything but is invisible to the viewer and dull on its own. This is often a problem with Western soundtrack music.

It has its ups and downs. I have no preference for either, personally. I think there are a lot of factors that come down to making a good soundtrack, and some of them don't even involve how good the composer is.

I mean you can have a guy who's just raring to write this beautiful character-filled soundtrack with lots of memorable melodies, but you've got a director who tells them to fuck off with that shit, it's not working with what they've got on the screen.

That's one of the benefits of tracking in a way. The music's already there, now they've got to figure out a way to plug it in.

At the same time though, scoring stuff for each scene allows the music to grow and develop more. Look at the music to stuff like Lost, or Battlestar Galactica. The music in those shows had narrative arcs all unto their own.

>Lack the drama
Thats literally insane. Falconers music accompanied the drama and shit on screen perfectly. It might have been crappy nu metal and synth rock but it made perfect sense.

>Goku going Super Saiyan first time
>Goku Finishing off Freiza
>Vegeta turning super Saiyan
>Vegeta Final Flash on Cell
>Gohans last beam struggle against Cell

I can't remember ever paying attention to the music in Lost. The only track I remember from Galactica is:
youtube.com/watch?v=o40JlfPou20

And the cover of All Along the Watchtower.

Lost I wouldn't say is as listenable on its own, but it terms of sheer music technicality it's brilliant. Countless themes and motifs comparable to Howard Shore's work on The Lord of the Rings. The only difference is Giacchino purposefully limited himself in terms of instrumentation as a writing restraint, so a lot of it can kind of meld together unless you're watching the show and paying particular attention to the score.

Still, it's that work that put him on the map, and eventually led to him doing movies and winning Oscars.

Galactica had and astounding soundtrack. The theme in the tune you posted is probably the most memorable and hummable, but the music is just as technical as Lost's, while being far more melodic and instrumentally diverse.

youtube.com/watch?v=eON5O5MRz5M
youtube.com/watch?v=x8zsE5zdlsQ
youtube.com/watch?v=yjPAx5-vD_A
youtube.com/watch?v=ff2GeDvjgtQ

Bear McCreary, to me, is one of the greatest geniuses in film and television composing right now. Guy's getting work too. He's on like, fucking five different TV shows, and does movies and games.

the retread the two last movies they did except stretch it out longer and with worse animation. Everything else has been pretty good. Theres a lot of what made the original dragonball fun and interesting in there. While the fight scenes definitely lack and are no where near as visually entertaining due to how cheap and shit the animation is, theres definitely some new and interesting stuff going on. You can tell Toriyama wanted to try different stuff. One of my favorites scene is Goku trying to avoid chi chi and pretending to get hit by Satan so hard he flys away but not before picking up his tractor casually but still selling the punch. if you like dragonball at all then watch it. Watch the first few episodes then just watch the beerus movie until that story is told, then watch the few episodes in between then the freiza reborn movie. You'll save like 22 episodes.

fuck man i wish they would make another good Sci-Fi TV show

I miss Galactic and Stargate

cartoons are for young adults in japan, and kids in north america, good b8 but just sayin.

I don't even know what "technicality" means in music. It either sounds good to me or it doesn't. I know a lot more about animation, but even then I don't care if something is technically good, if that's all there is to it.

I listened through all those tracks, and they're something I either wouldn't notice or would notice but wouldn't be interested in listening to on their own.

I am more into soundtrack music like this:
youtube.com/watch?v=27VqrMTljjw
youtube.com/watch?v=6R-P-ovbKP8

>I don't even know what "technicality" means in music.

Well there's lots of stuff to take into consideration. Complexity of chord progression, complexity of rhythm, variety in orchestration, and all that jazz.

To me though, the thing that I find most interesting in film music, is thematic development. The establishing of melodies, and watching them grow as the characters do; creating a musical narrative.

All those tunes I linked you to are themes for characters and ideas that are important in the show, and BSG had dozens, if not hundreds of them. It's very musically complex, and it rewards you for listening.

I listened to the tracks you linked there, and they're nice. Kind of anonymous though. Unless they link to bigger concepts, it just doesn't do much for me.

I mean I guess that also is one of the potential weaknesses of tracking when it comes to film and television scores. If you don't have melodies and themes interconnecting it all together, what's the point of writing original music at all? You're already going for the approach of having a library of music that needs to be edited into later, if your music is pretty for the sake of being pretty, without trying to delve into higher concepts, why not literally just use generic stock music?

Or go full classical. That's what Kubrick did.