>Have Some Love
>The Night Me And Your Mama Met

Shit:
>California

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DRdnpKRvMwI&t=764s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

catalogs exist

why was there not more regular singing like Stand Tall and Me and Your Mama I just don't get it

This

>zombies
>good

this is the kino of pop rap

Oh wow, this is accurate
(Though I would switch Have Some Love with Zombies)

I'm kind of pissed that "Boogieman" is almost a straight rip-off of "Can You Get To That?" Other than that, I think it's a pretty good album.

this is exactly it desu.
though i ironically enjoy california. its amusing, just terribly out of place

Well its better than the corny rapping glover did before.

it's not rap you fucking retard

why does Sup Forums think that the only two black genres in existence are either jazz or rap?

Sup Forums is retarded where have you been all these years m8?

notoriety

Stop this. How can you even compare the two. Blunt is trash in his own respect, but to compare the two is like comparing a honda accord and a bus. The only thing they have in common is they make music.

Boy, if you don't-

Great:
>Redbone

Shit:
>Rest

found on /r/music

What's so bad about The Night Me And Your Mama Met? I like it just fine.

Post yfw california

It was out of place and didn't belong on the album, but it wasn't that bad a song imo

I like his music, but I honestly find the guy so cringey and this whole "white people are scared of black culture" agenda he is pushing really shows you how fucking idiotic he is.

It makes me feel like I can't like his music, but I'm sure if I said that to him he would make a song about all the people that like his music but won't say they like him because he's uncool/too black/too white/whatever the fuck else he wants to say is wrong with him without actually admitting that it's all just because he's actually a bit of a tosser.

Also Community is fucking trash and if I were him I would be embarrassed looking back on it.

>people don't like Zombies
Hm? I don't have a lot of background in the genre, so maybe I'm bringing different biases into it. I just thought it was fun and super easy to groove to.

I think it's a great track, it's just that it sounds a bit too similar to the track before it. The instrumental is incredible though.

Talking as someone who never liked Gambino before
10/10:
>Me And Your Mama
>Redbone
8/10:
>Zombies
>Have Some Love
>Boogieman
>Stand Tall
7/10:
>Riot
>Terrified
6/10:
>Baby Boy
>The Night Me and Your Mama Met
4/10:
>California
All and all solid record, even if he directly stole some songs from older ones (Bootsy Collins, Funkadelic) but that's what artists should be doing nowadays. Stravinsky and all that shit.

I really liked Gambino's stuff up until this album the only songs I like on the new album though are

"Terrified"
"Me and your mama"
"Redbone"
"Zombies"
"The Night me and your mama met"

>not liking California

Great
>Me and Your Mama
>Redbone
>Riot
>Stand Tall

Good
>Have Some Love
>Boogieman
>California
>Baby Boy

Okay
>Terrified

Annoying
>Zombies (Mostly the First Half)

I like it.

singles were great but this is one of the worst fucking albums of the year

Overall I actually really liked it. I feel like everyone loved or hated California. I personally thought it was a great song that just maybe didn't fit on the album. Overall favourite song is Stand Tall or Zombies.

Gotta disagree with you on California. I mean, it didn't fit but it wasn't a 4/10. And I personally like the influences (blatant stealing) on this album because I feel like he actually did something with it and made it his own.

The album isn't bad it's definitely underwhelming, I feel like the singles were great/amazing and the rest of the album is just good/okay.

Badthony Memetano, here.

I'm feeling a strong 6 to a light 7.

Calling it here boiz

This tbqh. Too much auto-tone and Glover doing weird shit with his voice.

California is actually great without the effects on his voice. The Pharos version is lit af f a m

Not very funky at all. THe drums are ok, but you can hardly hear any bass. Can't groove without the bass. The other elements are mixed, there's nothing particularly virtuosic in play, guitar or vocals. The production isn't really my cup of tea. It doesn't feel like a cohesive soundspace. I'm not transported anywhere for longer than the individual track.

Would've been so good without the voice effects.

Here's the actual funk AOTY. Superior production across the board, incredibly talented musicians, actual pocket, ecclectic, colorful, charming.
youtube.com/watch?v=DRdnpKRvMwI&t=764s

>black man says some things about whitey being scared
>i g- guess i cant like his music...

You're an idiot. His music isn't even politically charged. If his "agenda" offends you and you cant listen to his music, you might be actually be a bit scared, buddy.

Anyone who is disappointed this album has no rapping despite hearing the first two singles honestly might retarded. That also goes for those who refuse to listen to it because it doesn't have rapping (Yeah there are people like this actually on Twitter.)

>niggerdefending this hard

>being this stupid

shit taste desu
it was disappointing tho

It amazes me that people will go "this is only his X album, he's still finding his voice," when we live in a world where bands like, for example, The Smiths existed, lasting a total of four years and having a voice from the very beginning, making huge impact. At some point you have to consider the idea that maybe, just maybe, Gambino just isn't a talented musician.

Most songs on this are trash, and I loved the singles, but the entire album's all over the place, and none of it's memorable. This even extends to the pretentious, generic one-word song titles like Terrified, Riot, California, and so on.

He should honestly just stop trying.

I thought Have Some Love was pretty good. The best parts were the southern baptist chorus.

underrated desu

what
I think you mean Have Some Love

ouch

idk, for Gambino to actually have 5 songs on one album I like to listen to is anything but disappointing. It's a giant step forward for him.
Too bad he's just going to regress into the shit that got him hated in the first place.

calm down nigger

the album is alright

Oh, good thing he had to try three times to strike "alright." Fuck me then.

Dude let it go. Just appreciate the fact that it's all right. Bringing up history just makes you sound like a bitter bandwagon hater.

I like it

its different

nice to see someone experimenting

Just appreciate the fact that other people have different opinions than you and your ruling that it's "alright" is not universal.

When did one word song titles become pretentious?

They're purposely vague, which hacky or inexperienced writers often think gives them a deeper meaning. Gambino is obviously inexperienced, throwing out lines as amazing as

>You may find it rude
>I don't eat fast food

That's why "Me And Your Mama" is so good, the longer title carries more personality and this is visible in the song as well, which I found very memorable and kept singing in my head a long time after hearing it. I also really liked Redbone, but couldn't remember how it sounded for my fucking life.

He probably thinks that Fall Out Boy song titles are unironically clever.

You sound like you have brain problems.

You sound threatened and like you need to resort to personal insults like a little bitch.

If all of the tracks could've carried the melodic weight of Redbone, Me and Your Mama, Terrified and Stand Tall then it would've been at least as good as Malibu.

Wasn't even an insult mate, you actually sound like you have dyslexia.

You actually sound like a bitch who couldn't come up with a reply.

I love the album, but I'll admit I have a soft spot for Donald, since we both used to be Jehovah's Witnesses.

There's no reason to assume the use of single word titles was some attempt at depth. They could very well just be vague because they were throwaway, quick efforts to name untitled songs for the sake of titling them as. A case of thinking too little of the worth of a title, rather than too much.

Sorta sounds like projection/ bias on yr part.

anyone got a dl?

>They could very well just be vague because they were throwaway

Which is another sympton of extremely hacky writing and lack of personality, which makes the titles even more pretentious because the point is obviously to flaunt how little thought he put into them. Problem is, the randomness and lack of a vision is apparent in the songs as well, not only instrumentally but lyrically.

>Sorta sounds like projection/ bias on yr part.

And this "projection" makes absolutely no sense, if you're gonna go this route you may as well just shove your arguments up your ass.

Bias is also not true, you can look at most, or any album considered a classic and most songs have at least two words, and the single-worded ones generally carry a real meaning to the content. These are not pretentious. Shitting out any title because you couldn't be bothered to give a fuck is extremely pretentious.

Complaining about a lack of effort when he was juggling roles in major movies and creating and starring in a television show while making the album and calling someone whose punchline in a sketch he was in involved a bag of big black dildos pretentious just kinda makes you seem like a total dick.

>Great:
>>Stand Tall
>>Me And Your Mama
>>Terrified
>>Redbone
That's very accurate. Easily the best tracks on the album.

WOW! One entire sketch!?

I couldn't give less of a flying fuck what else he does, if he isn't a talented musician then he isn't a talented musician. Acting or making TV shows has nothing to do with writing music or lyrics.

Donald is incredibly pretentious in the way he fancies himself as some master creator of every single format imaginable btw.

>Donald is incredibly pretentious in the way he fancies himself as some master creator of every single format imaginable btw.

Good job having no idea what that means at all.

Please remind me, what am I a creator of, you fucking retard?

I'm surprised you haven't had an aneurysm by now if young black musicians with stilted opinions of themselves annoy you so much.

Califronia sounds like it was sung by a deaf person. Other than that, solid album. Redbone is the clear standout.

You're damning him if he does, and damning if he doesn't here (while shrugging off the idea of bias).

The idea that writers do this because they wish to flaunt insouciance is pretty much projection on your part as it's an unjustifiable position you're taking in the absence of proof. I'm sure it happens, but in this instance it's a conclusion based on preconceived notions on your end - unless you have some intel outlining his thought process during the naming process that supports your assumption.
Still, let's assume this is true: How do you reach the conclusion that it would be "even more pretentious" than your prior claim of using short names for the (unfounded) sake of creating intrigue or depth? Do you just want it to be true that it's a choice born of pretension?

The naming convention really isn't connected to the quality of songwriting - or at least it's not a hard rule. In the grand scheme "Vogue" isn't a worse #1 hit because it's wasn't called "Vogue, Strike A Pose", nor is "Thriller Nights" an inherently better title. Often long titles are just that way because they're a direct quote from the chorus. So long as that quote is greater than one word though I suppose that's perfect.

An example of this in action on this album is "Have Some Love" which, while an absolute zinger of a name I'm sure you'll agree, is far and away the most derivative and aimless effort on the album. "Redbone" on the other-hand should be a stinker of a song following your rules, but is actually one of the standout tracks, alongside "Boogieman" (a very appropriately name for a song dotted with sinister groans and grunts and ethereal laughter, centred on an explicitly named "Boogieman" character. If only it'd been "The Boogieman"). "California" wouldn't be salvaged by naming it "Move To California". Better name I agree, but no better a song.

3/10 album .

By far his worst work.

does he still complain about girls and not being black enough for the blacks or white enough for the whites on this album?

Not really, just the former a bit.
Generally the lyrics aren't the focus.

Thats like half the album tho.

Shit bro you right

Whitethony Supremecistano here.

I'm feeling a strong 7 to a light 8.

Trans-

>tfw california is growing on me

i like have some love tho

That was back in 2011. He's literally 4 projects after Camp that wasn't about all that shit.

stunt on these hoes

Great to Ok:
>Me and Your Mama
>Redbone
>Terrified
>Baby Boy
>Stand Tall
>Boogieman
>Have Some Love
>Riot
>California
>Zombies

>Ok
Nigga, Have Some Love was garbage. California was garbage. TNMAYMM was garbage.

Has an 81 on Metacritic as of this post.

california was garbage, i did like the beginning of have some love though