Did they swear in medieval times? It sounds weird in this show

Did they swear in medieval times? It sounds weird in this show.

Other urls found in this thread:

pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti from Pompeii.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=C78HBp-Youk
etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=fuck
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm sure they cursed doesn't make GoT less shit though

They did but not with the words we use now because language was different back then.
Anyone know any curses in Latin?

yeah they cursed but it would sound stupid to us if they were historically accurate, its the same type of choice that was made for deadwood.

What happened to Bronn, can you remind me?

イギリスの女王陛下が中国人を無礼と言っていたがセラミックだからと言って食器と便器の区別がつく人種と思う方が無礼だ、彼らはゴルフの芝生と荒れた雑草の区別もつかないんだぞ、ゴルフクラブと農機具のクワの区別もつかないんだ

ウィッチャー3を映画化するなら47RONINの俳優とスタッフをお勧めする、アメリカとポーランドで話し合ってゲームスタッフの意見を聞いて作ればいい作品になると思う

I don't know.

go to google translate
enter word in English
translate to Icelandic

It's as close as you can get to Medieval English

Obviously. “Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo” - i’ll fuck you up the ass and make you blow me (OR ’ I will sodomize you and face-fuck you’. this is from a poem called Catullus 16, the filthiest latin poems you can find)
“Te futueo et caballum tuum” - Screw you and the horse you rode in on
“Irrumator” - Bastard
“Leno” - Pimp
“Flocci non faccio” - I don’t give a damn
“Mihi irruma et te pedicabo” - Give me head and I’ll ass fuck you
“Mentula” - Penis
“Meretrix” - Prostitute
“Bovis stercus” - Bull shit
“Es stultior asino” - You are dumber than an ass
“Es scortum obscenus vilis” - You are a vile, perverted whore
“Es mundus excrementi” - You are a pile of shit
“Bibe semen meum” - Swallow my cum (???)
“Bibe semen meum e baculo” - Swallow my cum from a cup (???)
“Globos meos lambe!” - Lick my balls

They sweared so much. People don't change, not really. You get occasional cultural blips where people censor themselves a bit, but ultimately in a thousand years we'll still be swearing like troopers and making dick jokes - because that's what they did back then, too.

He was on the boat with Jaime and dead Myrcella. They didn't bother to pay for him to appear though.

You should the grafitti written on the walls of Pompeii. Those fuckers were like us.

pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti from Pompeii.htm

Read this shit, you'd be surprised.

A lot of it is beyond hilarious to imagine happening that long ago.

I think in general swears were more related to stuff like Satan, which might seem a bit tame these days. Like said. "Goldarn" might have been quite a strong word back then but now it just makes you sound like Yosemite Sam.

From what I know they didn't speak a easily understood form of English in medieval times. But people were always people. There were jerks and assholes and cool people no matter when or where history took place.

Game of thrones is a fantasy setting where the common language is modern English with a few added phrases based on their culture. Vulgarity exists pretty much anywhere.

> (House of the Citharist; below a drawing of a man with a large nose); 2375: Amplicatus, I know that Icarus is buggering you. Salvius wrote this.

>I.2.20 (Bar/Brothel of Innulus and Papilio); 3932: Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men’s behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!

>I.2.23 (peristyle of the Tavern of Verecundus); 3951: Restitutus says: “Restituta, take off your tunic, please, and show us your hairy privates”.

>mfw two thousand years ago and the more medium has changed but the man has not

>“Irrumator”
this definitely means cocksucker

>“Bibe semen meum e baculo”
baculum in latin means rod, so I'd say it invites to suck his semen directly from his cock. Could be vulgar though, maybe italian or spanish and indicating a recipient

>medieval times

>2000 years and women still aren't worth dealing with

>It's as close as you can get to Medieval English
retardatio maximus

>IX.8.3 (House of the Centenary; interior of the house); 5279: Once you are dead, you are nothing

Ironic

These are going to be very useful to me.
>legionnaires writing on walls how much time they've got left in the army
I've done that plenty of times.

>Obviously
Nice.

>Salvius wrote this
I wonder if Amplicatus ever confronted him over this.
>Ironic
Dude achieved immortality by saying death is the end. Damn.

>II.7 (gladiator barracks); 8767: Floronius, privileged soldier of the 7th legion, was here. The women did not know of his presence. Only six women came to know, too few for such a stallion.
lol Chad BTFO.

fuck, shit and all that have been used for a long, long time. Just because they didnt publish certain words doesnt mean they werent used

Did they ever farted in medieval times?

>gif
why

>III.5.1 (House of Pascius Hermes; left of the door); 7716: To the one defecating here. Beware of the curse. If you look down on this curse, may you have an angry Jupiter for an enemy.
I guess there were Indians in Italy even back then.

I wonder what the curse was.

Those two people really existed.

Imagine their faces now if they knew that 2000 years later, they were still being talked about.

One guy had an armor comissioned filled with middle fingers and up-yours

Goddammit, who is going to have time to appreciate that in battle?

i hope i will be able to achieve this high degree of bromance in my life.

>friends forever
Well they were true to their words.

>Herculaneum (on the exterior wall of a house); 10619: Apollinaris, the doctor of the emperor Titus, defecated well here

Good shits don't get recorded enough these days.

>We have wet the bed, host. I confess we have done wrong. If you want to know why, there was no chamber pot

>not just pissing in the street

You'd have to open the damn window to piss on the street.

Ten episode miniseries when?

>not just pissing in the street
Pompei literally had streets designed so you didn't have to step in the waste river. Next level dumbass.

>replying to shitposts made thousands of years ago

>Herculaneum (on a water distribution tower); 10488: Anyone who wants to defecate in this place is advised to move along. If you act contrary to this warning, you will have to pay a penalty. Children must pay [number missing] silver coins. Slaves will be beaten on their behinds.

Well preserved bait never gets stale.

People must have shit there before and caused him trouble. Wasn't aware that Pompeii had a thriving Indian population

This is too much for me to comprehend. It's like Sup Forums has transcended history.

Any of those graffiti posts, once cleaned up with some modern lingo, would be indistinguishable from any Sup Forums post.

I wonder if this tidbit of wisdom came from personal experience too.
>VIII.2 (in the basilica); 1882: The one who buggers a fire burns his penis

>VIII.2 (in the basilica); 1864: Samius to Cornelius: go hang yourself!
KYS is old as shit, huh.

Except they usually wrote their names on their shitposts and claimed them proudly.

Sounds like he's saying don't stick your dick in crazy, to me.

"Well, what did you expect?"

>Friendship ended with Salvius
>now Gracchus is my best friend

People were vulgar as fuck especially during the middle ages.

Ever heard of Till Eulenspiegel?

What a retarded question.

Of course they swore. If people have things to swear about, they will swear.

Granted, they may not have sworn on God/Jesus as freely as non-believers do nowadays.

>Secundus says hello to his Prima, wherever she is. I ask, my mistress, that you love me.
>On April 19th, I made bread
>Cruel Lalagus, why do you not love me?
>No young buck is complete until he has fallen in love
>Once you are dead, you are nothing

Society hasn't changed and never will.

Pompeii is the coolest place to visit in Italy. All their weird, paganistic sexual deviance and prostitution menus didn't get powerwashed away by the Catholics.

>On April 19th, I made bread.

If you were a gladiator, wouldn't YOU be proud if you actually managed to make bread?

>It's as close as you can get to Medieval English

Not really. Old English, maybe, but Middle English had massive changes in grammar and vocabulary.

Prof. Brian Harvey thought he was going to find something profound or amazing. Instead he found Sup Forums c. 0 AD.

In the year 4000 there will probably be some ultranet file dedicated to archives of all the shitposts ever made on Sup Forums.

youtube.com/watch?v=C78HBp-Youk
Literally Sup Forums the composer

Maybe it's a euphemism of some kind.

Maybe he means he shat at that spot on that date.

>Prof. Brian Harvey thought he was going to find something profound or amazing. Instead he found Sup Forums c. 0 AD.

Whatever would impel a man to expect such silliness?

Munchies for 4/20, retard.

i really hope this will actually happen.
we all will achieve immortally although anonymous but it still counts.

Namefags

>tfw ayyliens will be reading this thread thousands of years from now
Say hi to our future overlords lads.

Not entirely true. Icelandic is pretty close to a medieval language, but not English.

If you know Icelandic you can basically read from the old Norse sagas untranslated

I wonder what will happen to people...

Will we be extinct 2000 years from now?

Pompeii is alright but Herculaneum and Paestum are actually better preserved and more spectacular.

No. We'll be cynical, pessimistic and longing for the golden days of our past.

etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=fuck

>Flying fuck originally meant "sex had on horseback" and is first attested c. 1800 in broadside ballad "New Feats of Horsemanship."

bad curry

That's a misconception (I'm not certain, but I'd probably blame Victorian 'historians' for it. They seem to be responsible for so much bollocks.)

They swore like dockers. They swore so much it got into the place names. (If you ever see a 'Grape Lane' in england, it was probably originally 'Grope Cunt Lane'. It was where the whores worked. Guess how Shit Brook got it's name? See also Tickle Cock Bridge and Pissing Alley. Such a helpful tradition to name a place after it's function.)

>VIII.2 (in the basilica); 1812: Caesius faithfully loves M[…name lost]

>Medieval
>Latin
Jesus

R O M A
O
M
A

people talking in Latin were usually scholars and people rich enough to study in the mediaval era

and they cursed in their own language

>mfw two thousand years ago and the more medium has changed but the man has not

People often lament the great works lost to time - and their loss is sore, without a doubt - but historians are overjoyed for what we DO have - because they show us that, throughout history, people have still been very much people. Values change, but people's day to day concerns and such have remained very much the same, like the surviving letter from a Roman mother to her legionary son serving in the North of England, telling him to keep warm and that she was sending new socks. It's very reassuring, in a way.

People have always "sworn oaths". Exactly what they swore changes all the time (insults from even a century ago seem alien), but assertions of improper intercourse or parentage have always been popular.

>III.5.1 (House of Pascius Hermes; left of the door); 7716: To the one defecating here. Beware of the curse. If you look down on this curse, may you have an angry Jupiter for an enemy.
POO IN LOO

It's actually pretty scary how similar most of these are to generic Sup Forums shitposting.

And be very very brown

>people talking in Latin were usually scholars and people rich enough to study in the mediaval era
You know latin was a real spoken language once, right? It was the lingua franca of the little knows roman empire.

Its propably a tournament armour

Oh god, witcher 3 flashbacks.

>ser Davos
>comfy guy, reading books to malformed qt's and learning to read kawaii as fuck
>FUCK THIS, FOOK EM, WELL FIGHT OR DIE
>FAIL AGAIN JIN SNU
>FUCK

I doubt it, looks like field armor to me.

Roman empire does not fall under medieval

It wouldn't be latin. Old English may have been more stuff like "whoreson", "dastard", "bastard", taking the lords name in vain, "knave", "blaggard", "villain", "cunt" and "cuckold". Most of those are seen as quaint or D&D tier dialogue, so modern swearing in GoT is a bit "anachronistic", but then it's Fantasy logic plus GRRM assuming curses = adult writing. Fuck for example is quite modern, 18th century IIRC.

>It sounds weird in this show.

I don't remember his name but the writer of Deadwood explained all the swearing in his show by pointing out how modern audiences would only treat "consarn it!" and suchlike expressions as funny.

>you will never be sexually experimented on by aliens

Yes but it was mainly blasphemies that were seen as the worst words. Things like 'god damnit' and 'hell' were far worse than 'cunt' or 'fuck'.

English towns usually had at least one 'Cunt Street' or 'Gropecunt Lane' which generally acted as a red light district and the names, whilst crude, weren't seen as badly as they would be these days.

By comparison, the medieval French nicknamed the English 'Les Goddams' during the Hundred Years War due to their excessive swearing, 'Goddam' being the most identifiable and commonly used English word they heard.

Apparantly Anglophones in the French Foreign Legion are called 'Les Fuckings' today as well, for the same reasons.

Medieval people had a pretty crude sense of humour by modern standards as well, like stuffing the ends of their long pointy shoes so they look like a cock and balls, or having their armour intricately decorated with obscene hand gestures.

GoT is pretty mild and sanitised for modern viewers by comparison.

Zounds is another old English curse word.

>Hamlet: Lady, shall I lie in your lap?
>Ophelia: No, my lord.
>Hamlet: I mean my head upon your lap.
>Ophelia: Aye, my lord.
>Hamlet: Or did you think I meant country matters?

yes. it is a contraction or plain old wearing down of "GOD'S WOUNDS!"

There are some really good purses in the short TV series By the Sword Divided. You can find episodes on YouTube. In fact the dialogue in general is awesome.

*curses

>VIII.2 (in the basilica); 1824: Let everyone one in love come and see. I want to break Venus’ ribs with clubs and cripple the goddess’ loins. If she can strike through my soft chest, then why can’t I smash her head with a club?
>tfw no gf

>Stamps on jars of garum
>Kosher garum

How'd I forget Zounds? I still like using that.
Indeed so.

Because "zounds" is, somehow, a shortening of "God's Wounds!" or "By God's Wounds!"

It's a pretty lame swear, all things considered.