I am trying to make a board game, but it's a single man's job...

I am trying to make a board game, but it's a single man's job. I wanted to know what you guys have to say in the ways of helping a small game dev out with tips.

You should make it fun with replay value.

It's difficult for autistic people to make board games that will be popular. You should keep your job at McDonalds as long as you can faggot.

Well, I could do this in my spare time if I even worked at mcdonalds

one principle.

easy to understand, hard to master.

Nah, board game (pffhahaha) dudes usually work for Burger King.

More like what you think would be the most sensible way to start with. The biggest problem I have in with the gameboard because I have mechanics in mind but not sure how to execute.

Even if they work at fast food, at least they're making an effort to work and support themselves rather than sucking their mum's tit dry.

for a board game, I'd playtest mechanics independently at first, and weed out those that are less clear, or less fun.

I'm guessing it's a multiplayer board game, so try finding the winning conditions, and finding a golden path for the player to attain success.

>PLAY ALL GAMES FIRST
At least try to play the most of them you can find. Only then you'll have a clue on what are you going on about.

I'm familiar with a few different game styles. I've played alot of Betrayal, Catan, and a few others similar. One of the things I wanted was a big bad to be able to freely move across a radius of tiles but the radius is limited and must move. It doesn't cover the board completely but has an area of influence.

and? you make the board the shape you need for your mechanics, not the opposite.

you need a transparent piece that you put atop your main character to calculate radius easily? just do it.

you fit the things you see on the table to your needs. You need something not there? build it.

/thread

I gotcha. The idea is a series of tokens that COULD be the big bad but you don't know for sure which one it is unless you search or just hope to avoid it.

You should make the game I invented as a kid.
It's war style sort of like Axis and Allies but more simplified.

Basically you make a huge board with a lot of tiles. Then you put some obstacles on it like trees, rocks, buildings, farms, etc. The greatest part about this is you can make different maps and sell them seperately.
Then you have each player have his own army like infantry can move 1 tile, cavalry moves 3 tiles, etc. depending on the era you want the battle to be in, you can also make more versions of the game like this kinda like age of empires did. but lets say you want to make the basic version in WW2 era then there would be no cavalry but some planes and tanks
then you give each unit a radius of reach (like how far can they shoot)
then you need to find a damage/health system
you can give your infantry some grenades to deal with tanks with a research system
and finally you need to have resources and how much units you can pump out each turn.
so for example, if your troops are camping the gold mine, you can have 100 additional resources that turn and each unit costs a different amount of resources depending on their power (planes cost more etc.) and the goal to win is to either wipe out your enemy or get them to surrender

Saw the same thread in /tg/. I'm also working on a board game, bro. What problems are you having?

the amount of self-loathing projection in these posts crashed my computer.

Yeah no one bothered replying. I have an idea that influences the entire game board but the board has no shape for me to decide on. I was thinking hexes but they force the board and players to make it a clump but i want it should have branching paths not the island of Catan

Tell me more about your idea. You can use the thread in /tg/ you if you want. My game has branching paths, but also uses hexes, so it sounds like we are on the same wavelength.

What do you think of my idea?

Make sure you include social engineering into it. Like in poker where a players action's can betray their strength and weakness. In that way you need something hidden.

Try and remove randomness as much as possible.

will deliver moar if asked

It seems neat, little hard you thought of it as a kid unless you played a lot of Catan or got early copies is Scythe. Seems like how people wanted scythe to be with the aggressive resource theft.

Sounds pretty cool. I think you could introduce a fog of war concept into it that might prove interesting.

I'll just sit here. I'm on mobile now.
The big bad has the token mechanic that makes the players trying to avoid or ditch it. The creature could be on the space that they're currently occupying or not. The creature could be on the space with them and psych them out.

Haha why would you make a bored game id rather have a fun game instead

Yeah well when I was a kid I just thought of the basic concept, made everything out of paper and coloring crayons. I just added some stuff in there like the resources.

Thanks buddy I might give it a shot.

I think the token acts as a kind of fog of war. The creature can move freely within the area they occupy but the game would describe them as noise tokens.

My fault I just assumed

Yeah. If you focus heavily on the state guy aspect of it, it could be really neat. An easier to get into risk.

Strategy

what do you mean "the state guy aspect"?

I think it would be more complicated than risk but also less stale and more fun.

Hmmm.. Not sure how I could do a fog of war although it is not a bad idea.

Don't underestimate the power of tabletop simulator. Once you figure out how to import custom assists you can get a lot done.

Oh but I'm thinking about making the game in real life.