You told me this movie is good Sup Forums. Why you lied to me?

You told me this movie is good Sup Forums. Why you lied to me?

I didn't watch it because I watched 10 Cloverfield, and people said they enjoyed that.

OP is an idiot. Go back to transformers.

Also,
>director says it's this way
>nuh uh
??

It's good. Just plain good.

>it's another pleb who thinks because he's a contrarian he's a patrician episode

>go back x shit movie/capeshit
I love how this is everyone's argument when they dislike the amateur garbage that is The Witch.
This is babbies first cinematography compensating for shit story telling flick.

In more clear terms the movie puts accents to great use, gets more out of child actors than I can recall seeing in almost any other movie, isn't predictable, isn't afraid to show a baby turned into a paste, has ambiguous elements that make discussion of it worthwhile, and has a resolution.

But people who dislike it just say, "I was bored."

>stop disliking what I like

We didn't lie, you're just a pleb who can't into horror cinema that isn't jump scares.

I'm still not sure why this was shot in 4:3. It looks great, but never really uses the format for a clear thematic purpose, like nostalgia for old ways in Grand Budapest Hotel, or the protagonist's pov in Meek's Cutoff. Is it supposed to be like the family not seeing the full world for what it is or something like that?

All this, plus its genuinely unsettling, has great production design and cinematography, and touches on interesting themes even if they aren't terribly fleshed out.

Pleb filter general?

w2c witch gf?

>The V Vitch
what?

this

The Witch is very good. You should have stopped browsing and posting while you watched it, OP. Tough, but worth it.

i dislike jumpscares but i also disliked The Witch

Just finished it, for some reason I was expecting the ending to be that one horror pic thats been posted around every now and then, of some old woman/man devouring the head of a kid in some dark cave, barely lit. And I was just preparing for that the whole movie, that I actually artificially, self-made some horror for myself. It was really bizzare.

Speaking of that, can anyone post the pic I mentioned?

This is now a chill goat thread.

>cinematography
babbies first film meme word

This

Google mise-en-scene and change it up w/ that from time to time

What's the "clear thematic purpose" for 1.85 or 2.35 being used in pretty much every other movie? Maybe the director just liked the way it looked, maybe he felt it gave the film a more "classic" feel to match the period setting, I don't know.

I honestly love the 4:3 aspect ratio and wish more contemporary directors used it. There shouldn't always have to be a reason

>puts accents to great use
I cringed through the entire movie because of them. Couldn't take it seriously for one moment. Really fucking slow movie too. It's really turned into one of these "heh heh i GET this movie I'm so patrician"-movies when it's just a piece of shit.

"But it had to have been Jarin who suggested 1:66 for this film. Which really made sense, because it gave it a little more scope. It would have been this weird, too-arty movie in 1:33, but with 1:66, we had a little more height for the trees. But it was intimate with the family. And additionally, because of the native aspect of the Alexa, we got more resolution by shooting in its native aspect ratio. And we were shooting with these re-housed Cooke lenses from the 1940s that Jarin liked to say was like looking through a crystal ball. They were dope. And we were actually using more of the lens characteristic by using that frame."

I just watched the movie with the scene you described. I don't have a clip but it's from The Taking of Deborah Logan (also known as simply The Taking)

Black Phillip is goat

2/10

>of some old woman/man devouring the head of a kid in some dark cave, barely lit.
This?

>he doesn't agree with my opinion
>he must be trolling!

it's a good movie

you'r opinion is shit

But you are.

No, it felt more realistic, yours is a piece of painting.

People getting offended when someone doesn't like a movie they like is proof that it's a pleb film to begin with.

>Hey! stop using tv memes
Ok I'll explain myself >uses tv memes

You cannot make this stuff up.

>I GET this movie
What's so fucking complicated about it? People sin, and they pay for their sins. This isn't some inherent vice shit with no clear message. You just don't have the attention span for it. Have you ever sat through a play? If so, what kept you there without explosions and people jumping between buildings?

>cringed at accents
That doesn't change the fact that Shakespeare wrote in vernacular and that's somewhat like how they would have realistically sounded back then.

Is it any good? How scary is it? Does it rely on jump scares or atmosphere?

atmosphere, it's more of a thriller than a horror

>THIS MOVIE IS SOOOOO GOOD BECAUSE NORMIES HATED IT LMAO
it was shit

>I hate atmosphere so much, give me capeshit

No? I genuinely thought the movie was a shitty boring slog with cringeworthy accents and dialogue throughout. The scene with the kid being possessed and dying and then the last 10-15 mins were the only interesting parts. And then it ends just when it seems like stuff is actually going to happen.

>implying illiterate farmers in bumfuck nowhere spoke like shakespeare's writings

>No? I genuinely thought the movie was a shitty boring slog with cringeworthy accents and dialogue throughout.
I was wrong then. You're retarded.

>Is it any good?
It's ok. It's almost exactly the same as every other 'Is She Possessed? (She Totally Is)' film, like The Conjuring but with a dumb mockumentary gimmick.

>How scary is it?
A little bit.

>Does it rely on jump scares or atmosphere?
Atmosphere.

I hate capeshit too. This movie didn't have any atmosphere. It was just a bore and any small amount of atmosphere it managed to build up was instantly destroyed as soon as someone opened their mouth.

I bet you love those paranormal activity films, kiddo

They were from England you dope.

>movie comes out
>people love it
>torrent comes out
>people hate it
Why does this happen every time?

>kiddo

do people actually think this movie is slow? seriously?

can you watch any movie that came out before the eighties?

No shit? It still sounded retarded as hell.

>posting dog in a goat thread

guess you'd fit right in with em, m8

Eh it's not the shittiest contemporary Sup Forums-core film.

The worst bait I took was fucking John Wick.

Fuck that movie.

Enough time has passed for the contrarians to rise and shine.

>ends just when it seems like stuff is actually going to happen
What possibly could have happened? The family is dead; the girl is a witch. Were you expecting her to go and terrorize the town?
Inb4 she goes and terrorizes the town

A) they're from England. The girl has memories of living there
B) you must be extremely dense. I just told you Shakespeare wrote in vernacular. That means, yes, farmers in middle of bumfucm nowhere could understand him.

The ending ruins it.

>the goat actually is Satan and it talks

>cringeworthy accents
Did you want them to have a modern Midwest American accent?

The Witch was far better. If you're into slow burning horror witch a touch of occult you're in for a treat

I wanted to see the witchy stuff and what happens to her when she joins them as a witch.

No but they could have skipped
>dost thou willeth thine thee etc
just sounds fucking ridiculous

Well you have to separate entertainment from artfulness. John Wick is an entertaining film, to me at least. The whole concept of underground hitmen society (like smokin aces) was interesting enough, but anyone who called it a legitimately complex piece of art... well, I pity the fool.

>No but they could have skipped
>>dost thou willeth thine thee etc
>just sounds fucking ridiculous
But that is how they talked, idiot. It sounds ridiculous to us because, get this, language changes.

It doesn't matter if the threat was the really Devil or not. They would have failed their own teachings when put to the test anyways.

It's a movie. It sounds like shit and is cringe as fuck. Next you're going to tell me there were speaking goats and flying witches back then too.

>It's a movie. It sounds like shit and is cringe as fuck.
So you wanted them to call their parents Mom and Dad and put "like" after every sentence clause. Gotcha.

>It sounds like shit and is cringe as fuck.
Your argument is basically pic related.

ok, we get it - you couldn't understand their accents and now you're pretending that it's somehow the film's fault that you were too stupid to swap 'thee' for 'you' every now and again.

Perhaps you might want to try something that's more your speed. I suggest pic related.

>I wanted to see the witchy stuff
This board is irredeemable. There is no point in showing "the witchy stuff." We know what it is. It's crushing babies, flying, drinking goat's blood, etc. that's the witchy stuff. And we've seen it all already. It's not starving in the winter; it's not having to obey thy parents. That is the witchy stuff.

That's how people spoke. I'm not sure what else there is to say to you.

>I wanted to see the witchy stuff
Have you tried that hit film Captain Americaâ„¢: Civil War?

Movie was shit and the language was cringe. So I guess let's just end it on
>stop disliking what I like!!!!!!

>Movie was shit and the language was cringe.
Your posts are shit and your opinions are cringe.

>tfw there was no literal witch
>the witch was Thomasin's other persona
>she suffers from multiple personality disorder in a time when men and woman feared everything, and the devil was literally around the corner
>the entire farm was riddled with ergot fungus, which causes hallucinations in people who eat it
>evidenced by the rotten corn, and bread they ate on the farm
>tfw the people only died after Thomasin's perceptions were removed, when her witch persona took over
>she killed the baby, left her brother to die, killed the twins, killed her father, and lashed out at her mother
>tfw she sodomized a goat
>tfw there was no witch's coven in the end, it was just her going out into the wilderness and having her insanity take over

NO. THERE WERENT SPEAKING GOATS AND FLYING WITCHES, which is exactly why the accent is so fucking great. It immerses us into something we know to have false elements. The opposite would be in schindlers list, where you know everything happened (inb4 holocaust deniers), so whether it's in German or English doesn't make much difference because the plot is the main draw. Here, however, witches and talking goats did not exist, so being period accurate helps to get the audience to believe in something they know isn't real.

I was incredibly hyped for this movie but when I watched it in theatres it just let me down. Wasn't scary. Needed more baby eating imo

The mother never got around to signing that book, did she?

its slow because nothing is fucking happening

they could have edited this POS film down to 10 minutes and it would as much impact, which, btw, is akin to watching a shitty trailer

fuck off with this POS

the only reason its getting coverage is because the lead actress stokes the pedo tendencies of 1/3 of the fat bloblike foreveralones of /tv

Rewatching this movie was great. Black Phillip was a smug fuck throughout and it made me laugh.

You're absolutely wrong

What do you mean nothing is happening? One of the seven characters is dying like every fifteen minutes, with scenes where the family falling further apart

He means there's no explosions or big fights on airports with witty one-liners.

Every scene (at least every one I can remember) is put to good use. In the scenes where it seems like nothing is happening (dinner scenes, talking inside the house) important details are being laid out. Either we see the family getting progressively more pulled apart, or something significant happens, for instance mom accusing daughter of losing her cup.

>Movie didn't end with Elizabeth Olsen in Sheev robes electrocuting Thomasine with red lighting

2/10

Did you photograph the screen bro?

lol