>implying this isn't one of the great albums of all time

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=m4w08DXtXn8
youtube.com/watch?v=D8u_1RDZJAE
youtu.be/PrQ4hckC7co?t=1239
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>memerap

It was ok.

It was just a shitty, unfinished Tidal advertisement.

I'm not implying, I'm completely upfront with the idea that this is in fact, not one of the greatest albums of all time.

i'll give it a 9/10

youtube.com/watch?v=m4w08DXtXn8

did you guys even listen to the album?

My TLOP 2.0 is much better.

Famous
FSMH 1
FSMH 2
Waves
Feedback
Freestyle 4
30 Hours
NMPI L.A.
Real Friends
Wolves
FML
Ultralight Beam
Saint Pablo

8/10

whoops, meant to type 3/10

Some of it ranks among Kanye's best work but there's a lot more filler than greatness. Still better than Graduation or Yeezus, though.

As a Kanye fan, I used to think this album was just okay, till after maybe 5 listen it hit me; this is really good. It's not cohesive, but the individual tracks are great.

not Graduation.

not even half as good.

This, Graduation is fucking perfect, except for that one track but you can just skip it

Agreed

What is that "one track" on Graduation?

If you don't answer this correctly, you will be in great danger

*ominously unsheathes katana*

Flashing Lights

I was obviously talking about drunken hot girls

graduation is his worst.

late reg//mbdtf
tcd
life of pablo
808's
yeezus
graduation

Good Life

This

is great

has bad taste in some people's mouth cause it was overplayed as fuck back in the day.

Cheesy lyrics but a phenomenal beat and definitely not the worst track on the album

A(c)rap album can't be one of the best albums of all time.

It has far less musicality, originality, emotion and creativity put into it. Rap is simply the Mcdonald's, or worse, of music and anyone who thinks a rap(e) album is one of the best of all time is simply an utter pleb that knows very little about actual music. It's really that simple.

From my perspective it's like a 3 star michelin chef watching chinese peasants compare which type of plain boiled rice is the best.

Graduation is his best

Graduation
Late Reg
MBDTF

A Pile of horseshit

808s
TCD

20 Piles of trash

Yeezus
The Life of Tidal Advertisements

holy fucking shit what did your mom feed you for breakfast as a kid

Objectively Correct Kanye rankings:

Yeezus
808's
CD
MBDTF
Late Reg
Pablo
Graduation

Something that lead to great taste is music

Yeezus is 2/10

The development of rap revolutionized the use of vocals in music more than any other genre ever

>
>Something that lead to great taste is music

>lead

lol I definitely believe that part

CD>Yeezus>MBDTF>LR>Graduation>TLOP

I haven't listened to 808s sry.

Also TLOP would be a 10 if it had less filler.

I like this a lot. I think I'm going to try it

no it fucking didn't.

oh it's unbelievable. And actually it's a 9/10, that was a typo.

keeeeeeeek

Honestly I've never been particularly fond of Graduation, be it now or when it was new. A handful of 8/10 tracks laid against a bunch of meh ones. Not awful but aside from maybe Good Morning it doesn't really stand out. I'd say about half of TLOP equals or surpasses any given song on it, but that's just me. I certainly think it has higher highs.

replying to yourself is poor form.

Pablo was just a shitty abortion shat out to shill Tidal and nothing more.

haha that wasn't me, I swear

It does have its share of good songs though. By no means is it consistent about it, but it does have its moments.

Yeezus is fucking trash

Funny how track placement can really help an album. As single tracks I like a lot of them but it has no cohesion.

Weeknd's new album has that issue too. I'm going to make my own rearrangement.

fsmh 2 into waves is a great transtion. And then there's the golden bridge of:

Real Friends
Wolves
FML
Ultralight Beam
Saint Pablo

Its one of my top albums this year but its easily his worst album

That sequence of more down to earth, real tracks are what sold me. Hey, do you recommend it with the initial TLOP release or with the June update? I have both

I think Freestyle 4 and Feedback are better expressions of what Yeezus tried to do than damn near any song on Yeezus itself. Aside from On Sight, New Slaves, and Black Skinhead I found that album to be quite the well-intentioned misfire, and to me it's Yeezus that is easily his worst. TLOP struck me as a very uneven, but occasional rebound to form.

the updated tracks are cleaner and sharper imo, go with those. Plus, you already have Saint Pablo there.

Not sure about all that but I really love Blood on The Leaves
Also not the one you replied to

for me the good ones are:

black skinhead
new slaves
hold my liquor
blood on the leaves

True, alright thanks man. I appreciate it

No problem, senpai. Well, I'm going to bed, happy listening :)

Been listening to this a lot since his breakdown and hospitalization. All the signs were there.

Never heard any of it 'cept the instrumental to Father Stretch My Hands, which is great

youtube.com/watch?v=D8u_1RDZJAE

not even his best

kanye listener tier rankings

people that don't listen to kayne

liquid dogshit

people who recognize yeezus is his best work

100 tons of absolute shit

subhumans who don't grasp the reasons why yeezus is far and away his best work

TLOP was a scizophrenic album with highs and lows it's disjointed on porpuse, and you can see it in the fucking cover, BIG QUINT put it best : youtu.be/PrQ4hckC7co?t=1239

Remember when 808s dropped? This will be a classic in 20 years.

It's my favorite album so far

The real power and depth of TLOP/Yeezus is that they're concept albums. The lyrics are much better when viewed as interconnected and with a macro perspective rather than as individual tracks and a micro perspective.

The other issue is style switch. CD through Graduation is more pop in style. Easy to enjoy, easy to appreciate. Even 808s. MBDTF added a touch of artistry and artistic vagueness to that pop style and that helped elevate the album to near-universal praise.

Yeezus and TLOP went full artistry and artistic vagueness.

So compare Hold My Liquor to All Falls Down. All Falls Down is catchy, has humorous lines, has philosophical lines, and is easy to appreciate. Hold My Liquor is way less catchy, very serious, isn't explicitly philosophical rather relies on implicit expression, and takes more thought to find the richness of.

It takes skill to make either track. One demands the skill of knowing what people like and don't like, then arranging those elements into something people can't stop listening to. The other is more classically artistic in that it demands high-level narrative techniques of juxtaposition, thematic development, showing rather than telling, characterization, conflict, inciting action, escalation, climax, resolution, while having music that supports the mood and tone of the story.

So if someone's defining what's good by pop standards, mainstream expectations, etc, then of course they would think Old Kanye is better and new Kanye is lackluster. If you define what's good by the artistic quality and the skill it took to make, then Yeezus and TLOP are far and away his best work, with College Dropout and Late Registration looking infantile in comparison.

I feel like it's like saying Spielberg is a better filmmaker than Kubrick. Spielberg makes movies with monstrous mainstream appeal. But not one of Spielberg's movies matches the artistic highs or thematic development of 2001: a Space Odyssey.
There's invariably an inverse relationship between mainstream appeal and artistic appeal. Mainstream appeal relies on the passive experience being satisfying, with, ideally, enough bait for active viewing. Inception is a great example of this. It explains everything, while still having elements that get the average person to ask questions and seek answers. While the artistic appeal relies on the active participation of the audience.
A passive viewer watching 2001 will see the ancient ancient simian-human use a bone as a weapon, then throw it into the air. When the bone transitions to a spaceship, the passive viewer will note the transition but view it only as a transition. Then wonder why we're in space and looking at these spaceships. To them, there's no depth to the moment. Where an active viewer notes that the one was a weapon, was a tool, and then transitions to these ships, which are also tools, and maybe even weapons. There's a ton of depth in that connection, because suddenly we're seeing a jump from the earliest of humans using tools to the far future of humans using tools. There's now commentary on technology and the use of technology.
With all this said. You still don't have to like Yeezus or TLOP, personally. I just wanted to give some perspective on them and why we love those albums so much.