ITT: Bands whose "classic line-up" isn't their original line-up

I was thinking about the Moody Blues and how their "classic line-up" was their slightly later one with Lodge and Hayward.
Are there any other bands where this is the case?

Rush after Neil Peart joined

Pink Floyd
The velvet underground when John left
Weezer

>The velvet underground when John left
No, but after Angus Maclise left I suppose

>The velvet underground when John left
Fuck off.

It's been a long night user, my mistake.

Kill yourself

The Beatles didn't have Ringo upon forming in 1960 and had two other members that left before Ringo joined in 1962.

the stones

fleetwood mac

Black Flag and Nirvana

>weezer

original lineup put out their best and only classic record, all downhill from there

There was a guitarist before Brian Bell who left halfway through the recording of the Blue Album.

Also, the White Album's real good. Really.

oh yeah i gotcha, forgot about that

King Crimson (debatable)
Slint
Swans

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Crimson doesn't really have a classic lineup. The most recognizable is definitely Fripp Wetton and Bruford though.

Genesis' signature lineup of Gabriel Banks Collins Rutherford and Hackett only existed from their 3rd album and only lasted 4 albums in total.

Yeah that's what I was referring to. The Wetton era is what I see as their classic lineup, although I know some people prefer the New Wave era.

I know. Unfortunately one of the most iconic faces of the swingin sixties died before they really hit their streak. But he didn't really do shit in the band anyway i guess

Blink 182 after Travis Barker joined

What swans lineup are you calling classic? Anything with Jarboe, Westerberg, and Gira works I guess

King Crimson, duh.

SFTB lineup.

At the Drive-In
Their debut didn't have Paul Hinojos on bass or Tony Hajjar on drums.

>although I know some people prefer the New Wave era
ey that's me yo
gotta love that autistic new wave repetition

Imagine being those two people.

I personally can't stand anything past Discipline. I think Belew's compositional contributions past that were for the worse.

Don't forget Jamie Muir. Added a nice, chaotic layer of sound.

One of them went on Howard Stern to judge a 'biggest loser' contest. Cause he was a big loser too

youtube.com/watch?v=U5d24ZKgG3s

I remember watching that, Best seems to have taken it in good spirit.

Also the "kicked out for being too handsome" must have softened the blow a bit.

Muir is the most underrated member of KC. All them sound effects in Larks really makes the album a god damn ride.

The Police, Henri Padovani was their punk guitarist before Andy transformed them into the iconic three piece group. They even tried a four piece outfit with Andy and Henri but it lasted all of a week.

the other one died before the beatles got big

In Flames and Dark Tranquillity

Underoath

I like some post-Discipline things (some of the compositions on THRAK and The Power To Believe) but Discipline was the early peak of the New Wave era and they haven't topped it. It's my favourite album for several years now, nothing has managed to topple the sheer joy I get from listening to it.

Muir is absolutely based as was their violinist whose name I forget, but he's just a less recognizable face than Wetton Bruford and Fripp, whose faces were immortalized on the Red album cover

Most bands that don't become famous right off the bat are like that. For example, here's how Sum 41's lineup changed over the years. It's harder to find a band who's initial lineup is their most iconic lineup.

haha, it's hilarious as always with howard

THRAK is alright, Power to Believe is genuinely bad imo.

Personally I rank it Red > ITCOTCK = Larks > Discipline. Red, ITCOTCK and Larks are 10/10, Discipline is a 9/10.

And yeah it's a shame that Cross got kicked out after SABB, he could have been really cool on Fallen Angel.

>the Artie and not giving a fuck about anything era

I miss it so much. Howard's show is a shadow of what it once was

Yes:

>Steve Howe joined on The Yes Album (third album)
>Rick Wakeman joined on Fragile (fourth album)
>The "classic" Yes lineup only lasted two albums (Fragile and Close to the Edge) before Bill Bruford left

I know. They basically had the money to let the show run itself. I mean, imagine what it takes to get a group of wackpackers, a group of celebs, and a stripper/model together on one day to have them compete in a wacky shenanigan gameshow. You need some serious clout/cash. After that all they had to do was let these nutjobs interact and commentate/roast someone every once in awhile. Not to mention Artie is fully relaxed and killing it.

It's an impossible dream that's just not sustainable

>Not to mention Artie is fully relaxed and killing it

Guy even went through a long period of nodding from smack live on air, legendary radio.

I ultimately understand it though. Howard is an old man, been, done and seen it all. Streamlining to politically correct hollywood-tier radio as an incredibly wealthy man was inevitable.

Hah i know! And Howard yelled at him for doing that when it was creating legendary radio. He seemed to do that with a lot of people

Jethro Tull
Yes
Pink Floyd
Genesis
Deep Purple
Grateful Dead
GonG
Soft Machine
Yardbirds
The Who
The Offspring
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Renaissance
Rush
Rolling Stones
Strawbs
Van Der Graaf Generator

>Brian Jones
>didn't do shit

he played a variety of different instruments for the Stones my dude

Dream Theater with Jordan Rudess

>muh multiinstrumentalist

I'm fucking sick of the brian jones meme. He didn't contribute shit to the band. There's a reason the stones made their greatest records the instant he died.

The Who?

>Muir is the most underrated member of KC
I doubt it. Everyone who likes the trilogy 73-74-74 (i.e. their most celebrated works after their debut) is aware of Muir, while even most diehard KC fans have probably a hard time remembering all the drummers, bass/stick players et al that were members on all albums after Three Of A Perfect Pair, for example.

this. the original lineup is 1000000000x better though. fucking peter green man

Mayhem

Iron Maiden
Paul Di'anno was the lead vocalist when the band first began, for the whole album Killers, but everyone thinks of Bruce Dickinson

The Fall

Swans I guess. Their most recent line up is by far their most well known one.

Everyone knows about Paul Di'Anno my man

Also:

Adrian Smith didn't join until Killers
Nicko McBrain didn't join until Piece of Mind

Blink-182

Metallica

the beatles lol

Depeche Mode

I imagine the vast majority of bands drop their school-met lackluster members(s) when they make it big.

As evident by this thread.