How the hell did people build stuff so large, such as locomotives and ships, hundred(s) of years ago...

How the hell did people build stuff so large, such as locomotives and ships, hundred(s) of years ago? Processes involved?

metalworking, btw.

A lot of people and ingenious tools.
Apparently the stones from stone henge can be rotated on a single pebble.

Yeah, some stuff is pretty straightforward. But then some are cryptic as hell, I see lots of machine tools to make circular parts.. that work by rotating themselves.
At some point there must be a machine that creates a circular part but does not use rotation itself, but this machine is elusive to me. Really can't find no info on how this cycle started.

alien?

It's called human hands and metal tools.

keep drinking the kool aide faggot

do not derail my thread, non-white man.

My father told me inyugoslavia they had in their first year of his school to form from an solide piece of irom a star only using grinding paper. It was for training purpose and discipline. I am pretty sure man can make pretty decent shapes with enough time and work

fine. cast iron was a big part of the industrial revolution, as well as steam power for forming metal

Building a ship is pretty cool.

Im assuming my mean large wooden ships. The first step involved setting up a frame for the ship so that one could mass produce it. The trick to a shipyard is sinking a giant fucking hole into the ground near the water you can pull the ship out to.

That way, when you bring your materials to the shipyard, you are taking them downhill the whole way, makes moving VERY easy with carts and shit.

Then, they basically used the power of maths to create a blueprint for the ship to sit inside, so the real work was building the thing to HOLD the ship, not the ship itself.

Basically, it was a reusable template that would hold all the parts in place, and they used the same principles one uses when building a house. Except the joists face inwards to hold a ship instead of outwards to hold a wall.

Then they just cut their trees down and hauled them into the template area, put the tree down in whatever holder it was designed for, then using saws and blades cut it to the right shape, picked it up and slotted it into place.

Once everything was in place, pegs, rope, tar, and glue held it all together and the ship was pulled by 50~70 people out of the template by rope, and into the water (not as hard as it sounds, they were smart to put logs under the ship to roll it out into see, and since it was built pointing downhill, you just needed to give it one small shove to send it all the way out to the water)

Shits dope yo.

Machinists here. Modern metal working is built on knowledge from the beginning of time. It wasn't giant leaps but small incremental steps up to this point. Also using machines to work metal started in the 14-1500's. Blacksmiths started using "stock removal" methods to grind swords to finished dimensions instead of hammering. They used waterwheel driven wooden shafts with large stone wheels on them as grinders to fringe the blades to shape and put the edge on. Any metalwork questions feel free to ask. I've been a lead hand at two large shops and have my own businesses machining and fabricating

One day i was changing breakes. And the disks where the brakes brake were awful so i let for a few bucks do a guy some removing so that the disks were smooth again. He had an ooooold machine. He said its fromthe kuk time so about 200 years old. It was a 10 ton massive monster for manual equivalent of cnc. I wish i would have made a picture. Lots of levers and adjusting wheels

>How the hell did people build stuff so large, such as locomotives and ships, hundred(s) of years ago?

Hey, only your millennial generation are the losers who can't move out of mommy and daddy's house.

Every previous generation was able to actually accomplish something.

There weren't enough liberal faggot retards around to tell them not to think on their own or not to build big and great things.

ty, it's process I didn't think know of for wooden ships.

Ty. Those giant buckets from froundries always bothered me, it seems to me like another problem of infinite cycle.
For example, if it holds a certain molten metal thats is, let's say at 1500ยบ, then the bucket's melting point is higher than that.
But the bucket also had to be melted and molded into a bucket, right? So you'd need an starting point that didn't get made by melting stuff.
I think I formulated this quite shitty, if you don't get it I'll try putting it in another way.

Lol I still work on machines like that. The CNC machines are great for production parts but suck for making one off parts. This is a part to plumb in a turbo on an old does diesel I just made

SAD!

Lol I still work on machines like that

Who said I'm a millenial?

Ceramic!

Ceramic has a super high melting point, way above metal.

But it is formed by a chemical reaction, where you form the material into the shape, heat it up, it bakes into the shape, and when it cools down the new material has an ultra high melting point.

Water wheels powered old textile factories,then electricity, punch cards told machines what to do like programmers.

The bucked are called crucibles. The are made out of graphite usually and are pressed into shape at very high pressure. The metal is heated with an electrode and huge amounts of power.

ty, can you point some good/trustable materials for reading?

Machinist handbook covers alot

Well to start, the How its Made series sounds like something you'd love to watch.

GOD

Nice. Was pretty cool to watch this guy doing my disks.Post pics guys.

Lots of metal parts are sand cast with the melted metal. The use green sand and some form of plug to make a cavity that gets filled with the molten metal. There's a ton of different methods to do it but that's the basic idea behind it. You can carve a wax item and put sand around it and leave a small channel for the metal to flow into then pour in metal. It melts wax and then makes a metal copy of your plug

Check out the one on how bolts are made. The stamp the shape then roll the threads onto them. The threads can be cut on a lathe also but it's more so for special parts than mass production of standard bolts

geometry and string

I bet. People always like seeing the machines running. This is me turning the ring for the bottom of the intake top hat in a lathe

treadmill cranes helped.

Bandsawing pipe for ring

Bessimer process made steel cheap and much quicker to produce than puddling + carburization.

And would that allow for precision to make an early engine, for instance?

Then the plates on ironclad warships, pre-dreadnoughts, etc. were basically just giant casts? Or is it easier to make by 'hammering' normal steel plates into the desired format?

This is my start of cold air intake with exhaust pipe

with millions of slaves.
lots of death blood sweat and tears.
some clever ass architects whose methods are long lost.

you can look up "ancient architecture" for more info on these "lost methods" that are being uncovered more and more every day.
maybe look into this field as a career dude.

They rolled the steel into plates. When they make a batch of steel it's a huge roughly square block they pour. Then they would run it through a giant set of rollers and heat steel to press it out kind of like a rolling pin with pie crust

which one?

Nex shot I took was it all welded up and ground down smooth and painted

That's it installed on truck

Pic relathed is a similar lathe like he used for my disks. Bur his was bigger and more complex and a lot more massive.

This is near finished intake top hat

And it was more beautiful not so rektangular but nice curves and smooth shapes.
Down on the left side was a giant lever with some stairtype fixation. So like stairs wich go up to adjusting something. Was nice to watch

Ya they are all usually very similarly to this and just different sizes. Years ago I worked on one with a 21' bed on it. I made big rig trailer axles from a 6" diameter piece of steel start to finish.

I can only assume how much of a help these machines are.

Its like dishwaschers. Im a chef (cook) and if your dishwashingmachine breaks, you are fucked. Like really dry anally fucked

That stairs must have been for a gear box most likely. The basicly are a big transmission on the box side that lets you change the rpm. That is connected to lead screws (long steel bars) that run down the side of the machine that control the part that feeds left and right and I'm and out that holds the cutter. The two connected let you feed the cutter at different speeds to get it to cut right. That lets you thread with the machine also

I bet. I fixed machines for restaurants before and dishwashers. Without the lathes and mills you can't make the parts. They are actually quite easy to use once you get the grasp of it

Intercooler pipe tacked together and ready for welding

All the pipes done and installed for first time

That might be. I dont really know but it was a beautifu machine. And he said except for libricating and cleaning off dust, there is not much you need to do to keep the machine happy and therefor running. It was so massive i am sure there never breaks anything really important. The machine had an auto function where it automatically drove the cutting part slowly ober the disk.

You must feel like tom hanks i this one movie where he gets stranded on an island :I HAVE MADE FIREEEEEEEE

Ya that's the feed from the lead screw. I worked on this exact model of mill for a while. Mills are like a glorified drill press basicly. They feed the table in and out and the head of the machine up and down. You can put all sorts of cutters in them and adjust the feed speed and cutter rpm all over the get it to cut/ drill etc just right

I have built locomotives, freight cars, passenger cars etc.
Right now I work for a company that manufactures freight cars.
It's simple, far more simple than you think. All it takes is a collective of workers and skilled trades people to do it.
I am just getting off my night shift, we completed 8 double stacked well cars in less than 10 hours. Ready for blast and paint.
But that is only possible with the other workers making smaller parts, and building from there.
Back when I first started we were still using rivets for some orders. Now days it's replaced with a huck bolt, and lots of welding.
>pic related my work, just a small part.

Back in the day tho. It was more about relying on cast parts, rivets, and lots of bending, shaping, hammering metal into appropriate pieces.
Search this "Building Steam Locomotives - 1930's Trains & Railways Educational Film - S88TV1"
On yt, won't be disappointed.

Still awesome. I relly like these kind of stuff. Screens and bombs and stuff.

Lol ya I am pretty happy with that project. I post on off-road fabrication network a lot and a few machinists forums. Whitness my creation!!

Will check it, ty!

Sweet man. That's a good size shop. I always like going to other businesses and checking out how the do things. Everyone has their sneaky tricks you can learn to get the job done.

nerve gas

Ya look up 5 axis CNC mill making parts also. There's a good vid of a machine making turbo impellers that's really neat. I programmed CNC lathes and mills but nothing newer or fancy. Old g code stuff that is very basic now

It's no shop. It's a manufacturing facility. That's just one production line of 8. One I am in is 230k Sq /ft.

Nice video thanks.

Nice to see that /b has more to offer than trap threads.

Holy shit. Where is that located? I've made parts for peerless page semi truck trailer and they have a big ass shop but nothing like that. I'm in a town with about 35,000 in BC Canada so we don't have the big shops here like the city's

Foundry milwright here. Ceramic is key. If you have a spill let the bitch run out on the ground and try to get some sand underneath the iron so its easy to clean up

Same model late I made the trailer axles on. Tos trens are like the Cadillac of manual lathes and totally pimp. I could cut to 0.0002 accuracy all day land on the big bastard

What kind of parts do you guys make at your shop?

It's a place in Hamilton ON. Called national steel car.

Neenah foundry is the company. Ductile and gray iron. Anything from grates to diff cases, axles, tractor weights, front/rear carriers for semi trucks. Bearing caps. You name it we make it. Known worldwide for our manhole covers in the road. Look for neenah, wi next time you step over one

what do these things do?

Nice

Cool. This old grumpy bastard I worked with used to turn down the manhole covers in Vancouver at a big city shop. I wonder if you guys cast them

They are machine lathes. They grab a part and turn it and then hold a cutter of some type that you can use to cut the spinning metal to make round steel parts. Think axles, drill pipes etc. You can put roller forms in them and spin sheet metal parts and make say salad bowls also. They can put a grinder on them and surface grind round parts to extremely accurate dimensions also. Like polished rods in hydraulic ram parts. There's more than that too, basicly you can get creative and build fixtures to hold parts and put a cutter in the turning part and use it to bore out large holes. Its kind of hard to cover everything or the post would be huge

aight thanks for clearing that up
only times ive seen these machines was with people tangled up in em
so was curious as what they really do

That video was REALLY good, ty.

OP here, ty for your help, really good info. I'll get into reading more about metal working, it really is interesting. Again, much appreciated!

Yikes. They can be very very dangerous. My foreman back about 10 years ago crushed his fingertip off in one. One guy I worked with saw a guy get pulled through a big one and it was so bad he would wig out coming into the machine shop. He did assembly there

No prob man. It's a pretty good work to get into so if you find it interesting maybe see what's around for work. Decent pay and fairly satisfying work building thing with your hands