Name a better songwriter

Name a better songwriter
Pro tip you can't

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RCJ8Qq6A8mk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I personally think Isaac Brock and Jeff Mangum are just as good and unique but Mark Kozelek is definitely one of the best.

J.S. Bach

jeff mangum, michael gira, joanna newsom, brian eno, win butler, avey tare

No contest really.

That was fast.

Should have said lyricist, OP

>avey tare
kek, stop pretending that hipster shit is good.

It is good, at least to me. Fuck off, Satan.

Avey Tare can't even write slightly coherent lyrics as is the case with Brian Eno, they are good at finding interesting sound elements and catchy, little melodies though. Win Butler has one lyrical trope that he uses in literally every song ("teenage rebellion/criticism of modern times") and just isn't anything to write home about. Joanna's great. Gira wrote a book that was absolutely destroyed by critics he can't write, a great artist though. Mangum is up there. Please read a book before posting this, Sup Forumscore has some pretty compelling lyricists but these are a weak selection, most of them don't even value lyrics or poetry in any way. This kind of shitty opinion is why everyone hates tripfags.

He is up there. I never understood the weird duality between hyper-vulnerability and asshole shenanigans he has going on but I heard this interview recently and that made his work with RHP a lot clearer to me.

youtube.com/watch?v=RCJ8Qq6A8mk

Nigga you retarded?
>Pic related

>Gira wrote a book that was absolutely destroyed by critics he can't write
The thread says songwriting not bookwriting.

This isn't /lit/.

"Blindfold" is the epitome of Mark Kozelek's existence

he really needed to scrap Sun Kil Moon in 2019 and just resurge Red House Painters for a 2020s run

I think by songwriting user was referring to the actual music rather than the lyrics, which most of those listed are pretty great at imo.

The panera bread I just ate is better than this hack

Shit I meant they're good at writing music, at lyrics they aren't (Joanna, Mangum and sometimes Gira excepted).

>Avey Tare can't even write slightly coherent lyrics
I really disagree with this. While I think Mark Kozelek and Jeff Mangum are way better lyricists overall, Spirit They're Gone Spirit They've Vanished has incredible lyrics, especially on Penny Dreadfuls (which was written when he was still in high school), Chocolate Girl, and especially Alvin Row. I'd say Alvin Row better written than any song by any artist mentioned in this thread, which really makes me wonder if you actually listened to STGSTV or just listened to their later albums which aren't that impressive lyrically.
>Michael Gira wrote a book that got destroyed by critics
That's irrelevant.

Pic related

As everyone else said, Michael's book is irrelevant (even though I actually enjoyed it.) Writing a book and writing a song are different things.
Avey can write good lyrics when he wants to. Win is starting to move away from the whole 'teenage rebellion' thing.

When I was writing that list, I wasn't focused solely on lyricism, but all factors involved in writing music. I was actually focused primarily on melody more than lyrics, which those artists have certainly mastered.

Also, just out of curiosity, what critics derided Michael's book?
I'm not trying to disprove you or anything, I just haven't heard much about it at all and now I'm curious, since you said that.

Holy shit man, in the past you were just a shitposting trip. Then I leave for 1 year and now you're actually contributing to the board with decent opinions.

What the fuck happened?

I've always tried to be helpful, at least. I don't know what changed. Maybe you just caught me at my worst. Maybe I've changed without knowing it. I don't know.

I'd also like to see the reviews of his book. I couldn't find any professional critic's opinion on it, but the two reviews I did find (from a YouTuber and some rinky dink site) gave it a good review.

Shit man, you're actually a decent trip now. In the past I didn't like you but now you're pretty cool.

samefag

> COMPLETELY SUBJECTIVE OPINION BELOW

My rankings of singer-songwriters:
1. Leonard Cohen
2. Daniel Johnston
3. Mark Kozelek
4. Elliott Smith
5. Neil Young
6. Bob Dylan
7. Conor Oberst
8. Tim Buckley

Honourable mention:
Will Toledo (has lots of potential)

Sorry lad

If it's any extra proof I used to be the tripfag known as proge mon

Thanks.

I know, it's hard for me to believe it, too.

Oh i can believe it now. Tripfags sucking eachother off has always been a thing.

I dropped it ages ago, and I generally detest tripfags these days because most are attention whoring faggots who contribute nothing.

Speaking of trips, where did montie and unty go?

Came here to say this.

Jeff Mangum, Daniel Johnston, Phil Elverum and Peter Silberman.
Of course that is all opinion and Mark Kozelek is great too.

here's my fav lyricists

>most intelligent lyricist
Joanna Newsom

>most psychedelic (dude acid lmao) lyricist
Syd Barret

>most surreal lyricist
Jeff Mangum

>most i want to kill myself lyricist
Daniel Johnson

>I dropped it ages ago, and I generally detest tripfags these days because most are attention whoring faggots who contribute nothing.
I didn't originally start it for attention. I did it because I hated when people would sometimes pretend to be me and say things I didn't actually agree with. That got annoying very quickly. Plus it's just nice to have a recognizable "ID" to attach to my posts. But I never really made a conscious effort to shitpost.
>Speaking of trips, where did montie and unty go?
Montie's posting frequency has subdued a bit and unty kind of goes away after throwing a fit and comes back. His last major tantrum was about a week ago, so he should be back in a few days.

"Hey, kid! Did you just say I didn't want to kill myself as much as Daniel Johnston?"

I started mine as an attempt to see if I could build up a (fairly) agreeable personality on Sup Forums of all places. Clearly it failed, because of my tendency to shitpost a lot, and the fact that it's not hard to make me get defensive.

Finally, that whiny piece of shit is fucking off. I remember the 3 way shitpost wars I used to have with him and Avant-math. God those were annoying.

So unty's now relegated to just shitposting huh? Sucks, the guy used to post decently every once in a while. I'd have liked to see him stop with the /r9k/ posting and whatnot.

How did montie and unty get so (in)famous, anyway? Is it because of their reputations, the amount of time they've spent regularly posting here, the sheer number and frequency of their posts, or a combination of all three?

All 3. Montie became famous because he shat up RYM threads and made all sorts of stupid posts about Oasis and poseurcore or whatever the fuck forced meme. Eventually it reached a point where everytime he made a thread it was derailed by people telling him to fuck off, even if said thread was music related. At one point he even got so upset he posted Vocaroos of him sperging out and crying.

I know a lot less about Unty, but he became famous for posting about a specific genre of music (idk what it was, can't remember) and his feels threads, which usually got derailed into /r9k/ tier roastieposting. And then there's the fact that he's black and has this unusual sense of elitism.

That's all I can remember about the pair unfortunately.

>At one point he even got so upset he posted Vocaroos of him sperging out and crying.
Oh yeah, I remember that thread. I don't remember crying, though. Maybe I missed it.

I may have been remembering wrongly but he definitely sounded like he was crying, or at least on the verge of it.

Oh yeah, and Montie was famous for attacking other trips. I believe he had a special hatred for me and he attacked this other tripfag Brandon a lot. At one point it got pretty fucking bad and the dude had a mental breakdown because of it as well as his abusive parents.

What the fuck happened to Brandon anyways? Did he get jailed by Lauren Mayberry's dad or something?

That's really unfortunate about Brandon. I don't remember him at all, but that just sounds pretty awful.

This thread has been derailed to hell.

Yeah, the dude got it pretty bad. Not only did he have weight problems and parents that fucking hated him and went out of their way to antagonize him if possible, he also got doxed and called a pedo on Facebook or something. And on top of that he nearly got his ass sued by Lauren Mayberry, if not for that major league football manager defending him he'd be in jail for online sexual harassment or whatever SJW bullshit.

All the poor dude wanted was to talk about CHVRCHES.

Sorry, I need to nostalgia every once in a while.

Why are you lying
Brandon posts on /fit/ and Sup Forums everyday
Kys proge

Woah what? Seriously?

When did he start posting on /fit/? I believe he was doing martial arts for a bit but wasn't aware that he posted there.

Did I just arrive at the wrong time to see him?

Sorry about that.

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, No, No

>Bob Dylan

Yikes

[Ahem]

Bowie
John Darnielle
David Bazan
Paul Westerberg
Steven Malkmus
Sam Coomes
Lou Reed

It's been hours since I read this and I still haven't been able to find one moderately negative review for The Consumer besides a black Christian lady who made a long post about Jesus and how white people have a fucked up culture and are naturally prone to sadism.
Otherwise, it doesn't look like Michael Gira's book was 'destroyed' by anyone. It was actually quite well-received, from what I'm seeing.

>Townes Van Zandt
>Bruce Springsteen
>Paul Westerberg
>John Darnielle
>Leonard Cohen
>Hank Williams
>Morrissey

he doesn't even write his own melodies so I don't know if he classifies as a true "songwriter", but he's the most comprehensive yet fluent lyricist I've ever heard

The connoisseurs on goodreads gave it very negative reviews. And it was widely ignored. It just isn't a good book. Gira himself said he regrets writing it. Of course you won't find many bad reviews on a release as small as this. It's really just on the border to edgy pulp trash. A good songwriter (sometimes) but writing coherent literature?

unty hasn't posted since october. he started a shitstorm with a newtrip emily that was so bad that they both decided to drop their trips when it was over.