Guys what's your favorite ambient album? I consider ambient my "main" genre. I've already heard everything by Brian Eno...

Guys what's your favorite ambient album? I consider ambient my "main" genre. I've already heard everything by Brian Eno, Aphex Twin, Tim Hecker, Gas, William Basinski, Steve Roach, Boards of Canada, Robert Rich, Harold Budd and the Orb. Where should I go from here? Pic related is the best Ive heard so far

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=b6ycnnA2R6s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Stars of the Lid

Not even the best Tim Hecker album

>aphex twin
>Ambient
hahaha

Oh yeah I heard them too, forgot to list

What is?

>Saw II
>not a top tier ambient album

Sean McCann - The Capital
Kyle Bobby Dunn - Kyle Bobby Dunn and the Infinite Sadness
Grouper - A I A
V/A - I Am The Center: Private Issue New Age in America 1950-1990
The Caretaker - Patience (After Sebald)

>it has ambient in the title so it's ambient
Proof that you know literally nothing about ambient

Radio amor

I'm willing to debate you about it... It's atmospheric, it's in the background, it's unobtrusive. The focus is on tone rather than compositions. How is it not ambient

>it's quiet so it's ambient

seconding this

If you can explain, without memes or shitposting, why it's not ambient, then go for it.

I'll wait. If it's not Ambient, then what genre would it fall under? Ambient techno? It's certainly not acid.

Ambient techno is a much better label that straight up ambient

Hiroshi Yoshimura - Music For Nine Post Cards
Steve Hillage - Rainbow Dome Musick

But ambient techno is still ambient

nope

I'd put Radio Amor, Harmony in Ultraviolet, Ravedeath and Virgins pretty much all on equal footing
Personally Harmony is my fave tho

Underrated gem

i just listened to substrata for the first time, pretty fucking good

>underrated

Ravedeath = Mirages > Radio amor = Harmony > Virgins > Haunt me> Love streams = Imaginary country

even imaginary country is a solid 8/10 for me though.

>ambient is my main genre
>lists techno and house artists too

Merzbow

Grouper
The Caretaker
Biosphere
Global Communication
Alva Noto & Ryuchi Sakamoto
Tangerine Dream

between aphex twin ambient vol1 and birth of a new day

Deep Frieze by Sleep Research Facility

Phelios are pretty cool OP

6/10 bait nearly took it

replace ravedeath with haunt me and uve got 4 masterpieces

Second the fuck out of this
Loscil is quite good. Caretaker is p aight too.

imo, though I'm just getting into it properly, a lot of lowercase is a pretty natural progression from ambient. Discovered Kevin Drumm very recently, would recommend.

>ambient is my "main" genre
>only listens to really entry-level artists and has done literally no solo exploration of the genre

deeper into drone which I think is ambient at its purest

you have literally no idea what you're talking about

>durr hurr muh atmosphere
>muh all dese music witout words is da same

I've always loved the idea that that dancing was probably the best of several takes.

>Loscil
Good call m8

Literally what point are you trying to make

Time Machines anyone?

no you fucking troglodyte, as an extension of the concept of eternal music, drone is macroscopic where ambient (and furthermore eai/lowercase/onkyo) are of the immediately imminent

drone and ambient have little to nothing to do with each other. drone originated with amplifying cyclical patterns in eastern music led by string instruments and chanting. ambient derives from an entirely different place and time. you have to have a very superficial understanding of both genres as "conjuring atmosphere" and doing that only in order to think one is a "purer" version of the other

>someone on Sup Forums pointed out my complete lack of understanding of the genealogy of two unrelated genres
>maybe i'll just word salad and throw in some le obscure genres that i make fun of in /rym/ all the time to avoid detection

to make this simpler, ambient is about using sound to conjure atmosphere as abstract layering on a canvas unrelated to structure. drone is literally defined by structure the sustenance of one note or the alternating of small numbers of notes or chords)

ok? I'm not disagreeing on genealogies, my original contention on purity is that they express a similar modality whose difference is more of degree and not kind, as in the conjuring of atmospheres is not a mutually exclusive concept to ambient that drone does not share in (as far as listening-interpretation ultimately goes)

i feel the same thing, under the umbrella of eternal music, extends to other genres as well but that drone expresses this most 'purely'

dunno if this is ambient enough for you. If not then either 36 - Lithea, or Loscil - First Narrows.

Im not OP but to be honest I think Tim Hecker is in a very special position right now because while he is pretty entry-level, mainstream and overall someone who immediately comes up when ambient is discussed, he is also (I think) probably the best producer of ambient music today. Sure, Love Streams wasn't perfect, but there is no one as creative and forward thinking in the genre today. I've tried and looked very hard and found some great stuff like Jacaszek - Glimmer, Villages- Procession Acts, Black to Comm - Alphabet 1968, Bersarin Quartett, Benoit Pioulard, Deaf Center etc. but those don't really come that close to him either. The rest, stuff like SotL, Loscil, Celer etc. basically sounds very lazy, empty, paulstretched, without no real artistic value inside... lets just say that as Eno said, ambient is supposed to be as interesting as ignorable, and these artists focus on the ignorable part, while Hecker and co. focus on the interesting part. I think ambient can be really tightly crafted and impressive in terms of detail and actual musical content without losing the "background music" ability.

This. I fucking hate people that try to pass some reverb heavy pad synths eith some modulation and pleasant chord movements as ambient.
It won't be good unless there are more intricate systems underlying it.

I see where you're coming from, though I somewhat agree with . Sure, the two are culturally and contextually miles apart but in terms of purely sonic content they have a similar sense to them. Putting them both under the umbrella of eternal music makes more sense when declaring drone as being possibly more central to the concept. The minimalism is really at another level with drone.

Either way, to say the two are wholly unrelated is, while aware of the social and historical context, pretty ignorant of what they actually sound like which is what matters the most in music at the end of the day.

imo

Hecker is the only good artist in the shit genre that is ambient.

>entry-level
>solo exploration
Used seriously, red-flags that the speaker is plebeian.

I don't understand the individualistic mindset some people have when it comes to reading criticism. You'd never hear of a student of classical music refusing to look at their history textbook for fear of being brainwashed into liking something or other. The entire notion is silly.

You only encounter it in people who listen to pop music. I can only assume it's an overcompensation for an insecurity. Like, they know that the main basis of their preferences is social or other conditioned behavior, and by refusing to read reviews they can push the cognitive dissonance out and will themselves back into believing they're special snowflakes.

Bottom line: if you don't read music criticism (and criticism and "reviews" are separate, as one is corporate-sponsored and the other is academic) you are more ignorant than someone who does.

This

And I can't emphasize enough
>Kyle Bobby Dunn

Really great stuff

Also check out
>Jeremy Bible, Music for Black Holes
for some nice drone if you dipshits can quit trying to feel superior long enough to listen to some music

You're objectively wrong.

These Winter Dreams

i'm too much of an impatient child to enjoy most ambient albums in full desu, but i really love Grouper.
Wide, The Man Who Died In His Boat, the other half of this album and her S/T debut are also totally worth listening to if you like ambience.

Tim Hecker, Stars Of The Lid and Yellow Swans are excellent too.

Where to go with Yellow Swans after Going Places?

i'm not the one to ask man, sorry. i just rly enjoyed Going Places too.
hope somebody else has given them more time than i have.

OPN - replica
Yellow swans - going places

Did Sup Forums know that The Blair Witch Project's ending credits are accompanied by an excellent piece of dark ambient, composed by Tony Cora?

youtube.com/watch?v=b6ycnnA2R6s

Throbbing Gristle - Live at Nuffield Theatre, Southampton

Listen to popol vuh OP.