Bandcamp thread

bandcamp thread

question of the day: what is something you've learned over the course of making an album/ep

Other urls found in this thread:

noriginal.bandcamp.com
soundcloud.com/nathanoriginal/tracks
windowlistener.bandcamp.com
windowlistener.bandcamp.com/album/infection
soundcloud.com/windowlistener
animportantmessage.bandcamp.com/album/an-important-message
mirdzazivere.bandcamp.com/album/viena-diena-man-m
jacobhutto.bandcamp.com
retrieval.bandcamp.com/
landermusic.bandcamp.com
postmillenialdreams.bandcamp.com/
bakeract.bandcamp.com/releases
ddx-10.bandcamp.com
danila.bandcamp.com/album/--8
suffercentury.bandcamp.com/album/get-help
youtube.com/watch?v=S5xpP-CGrPc
conqueezy.bandcamp.com/releases
petalportmusic.bandcamp.com/album/eye-contact
expandingsponge.bandcamp.com/album/invasion
zenhaircuts.bandcamp.com/
melancholydaydreams.bandcamp.com
grogorgan.bandcamp.com/
yamir.bandcamp.com/album/yamir
rateyourmusic.com/artist/yamir_c_
open.spotify.com/artist/3s2BQA0wYsNqPZmR3kAN2p
youtube.com/watch?v=LCXv3ANqDWw
johnnygoth.bandcamp.com/releases
scrugley.bandcamp.com/
torrentmypets.bandcamp.com/album/untitled2
hodegetria-our-lady-of-the-way.bandcamp.com/
texh.bandcamp.com/
namesmusic.bandcamp.com/
petedauphin.bandcamp.com/album/pete-dauphin-band
lucasmaino.bandcamp.com/
resinaoficial.bandcamp.com/
irrationalists.bandcamp.com/releases
lethargic-in-the-park.bandcamp.com/album/into-paradise
youtube.com/channel/UCB0xzB_76kEApP2l2z08urA
deathpul.bandcamp.com/album/deathp-l
andrewyounker.bandcamp.com/album/brainchild
soundcloud.com/bl00dyknuckles/cry-baby
kadett.bandcamp.com/album/ztarse
theflynntones.bandcamp.com/releases
krss.bandcamp.com/album/halicon
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

music to fight ur right to

noriginal.bandcamp.com

>boom bap
>rap

more on my soundcloud

soundcloud.com/nathanoriginal/tracks

I RELEASED A NEW SONG WITH BUBBLES!
HOPE U LUV IT!
DO U LUV IT?

windowlistener.bandcamp.com

new release: windowlistener.bandcamp.com/album/infection

sc: soundcloud.com/windowlistener

>experimental electronic, inspired by Xenakis, late era Autechre, etc.
>metaphysical and dystopian themes

To answer my own question (lol), i realized at some point that the mixing of a release needs to be very precise, and throughout my releases you can see the mixing get better.

I'M STILL WORKING ON MY EP, THE JEL EP COMING DEC 25! BUT I LEARNED THAT I LUV HIGH PITCH, SQUEAKY SYNTHESIZERS! THEY'RE SUPER DUPER AWESOME! I LUV IT!

I bought some random hand made VHS tapes at a thrift store and they were just a guy talking nonsense for like 30 minutes. Turns out they were produced by a cult in Wisconsin. I used samples from the VHS tapes to make an experimental concept beat tape (along with other random cassette samples, also looted from the thrift store):

animportantmessage.bandcamp.com/album/an-important-message

I've learned how to clear samples with the original artists as well as how to deal with producers.

mirdzazivere.bandcamp.com/album/viena-diena-man-m
>disco, dance, pop music, reissue

wow this is very very good. Thanks for sharing!

I've learned that your music, no matter how small it is, can impact people in massive ways. Paw Paw's Songs and this community helped me to realize that. Not trying to be overly sentimental, but yeah.

jacobhutto.bandcamp.com

>Experimental, Various Genres

>New Release

>Good Boy
>A Mouth Full
>Los Angeles, California, Bedroom, Folk, Indie, Pop.

Description:

The title of Good Boy's new album, A Mouth Full, is quite prophetic of what it has to offer. Dizzying, disorienting synthesizers and vocoders, dwindling guitars, and colorful, terse bursts of energy, composed and comprised aside George's soft spoken, illusory-filled lyricism. Quite the mouthful indeed.

Support, scrobble, or review on RYM. Any feedback of any kind would be greatly appreciated. And George give some love. Thank You. :)

Want to redeem AP Macroeconomics to your collection?
Have a code! And go to jacobhutto.bandcamp.com/yum to redeem!

jvj4-3n8z
fkzl-gsct
6fgh-cm76
kduh-wgpk
zjmp-cbu8

Proud Supporter Of:

retrieval.bandcamp.com/

>indie
>alternative
>rock

Learned quite a bit about mixing.

Recs

landermusic.bandcamp.com

I learned that I have to trust in my creativity.

>mood music
>anti-meditation music
postmillenialdreams.bandcamp.com/

bakeract.bandcamp.com/releases

>bedroom pop
>acoustic

aware that the first guitar is tingy sry love u

ddx-10.bandcamp.com
>Noise, Mathematics, Algorithmic
>Made entirely in MATLAB

Just made a 6 minute piece in 5.1 surround sound which will be performed tomorrow in Boston. Title of the piece is "Preliminary Analysis of Naive Doppler Simulation". Expect a related EP coming out before the end of this year.

tinyrainbows.bandcamp.com
>scramz, math punk, ambient
hm
how still generally unimportant your role is in a band in terms of the whole scope of things for full band stuff, and for solo/ambient junk to just put things out there and see what people think

pleasancehouse.bandcamp.com

>music-esque sounds

thank you for listening and thanks to everyone in this thread for giving me and everyone else new and great music to listen to

question: what i have learned is that you will start out with an idea in your head and you will absolutely be in love with it for the first few weeks and months - but then the further into the recording you get, the more unsatisfied you get with the fact that it's impossible to record exactly what you had envisioned. but it's alright because once you've listened to your own music a billion times, you don't really have a good idea of how it will sound to others the first time they hear it - it will be fresh to them, and they will probably enjoy it much more than you do. so that's comforting to think about.

danila.bandcamp.com/album/--8

i dont know

>new tangible rays
when?

suffercentury.bandcamp.com/album/get-help

>vaporwave, glitch, ambient, plunderphonics

the last two tracks are a bit quieter than the first two, I'll fix that tomorrow but I felt like putting them up anyway

youtube.com/watch?v=S5xpP-CGrPc

I made this, I have no training with music at all so its kinda basic. I think I just wanted to make something that sounded kinda like Casiotone for the Painfully Alone but more reverb-y. Please let me know if it's alright

Can agree completely with this. Had a hard time convincing myself it was worth making music that probably won't ever see any commercial release.

conqueezy.bandcamp.com/releases

We're recording our next album this month, it's gonna be a good one ;^) it's going to feature some guests that you may or may not be familiar with...

Our last full length
>emo
>alt/indie
>progressive rock
>psych
>post-punk
>ambient
petalportmusic.bandcamp.com/album/eye-contact

check out turtlenecked, jr adelberg, epyllia, joplin rice, clothes, cobwebs

don't label a sample "bass"
for some reason now all of my low pitch drum boops are a sample of my niece.
i can fix them, but some of them switch back when i load again.

made me want to do another album more like this one where it was all manipulated a bunch and i don't think i even bothered to keep half of the samples, and i know i didn't keep any project files, pretty dumb, but it helped me keep from listening to it too many times.

expandingsponge.bandcamp.com/album/invasion

>beep boop
>noise sometimes?
>audacity

zenhaircuts.bandcamp.com/
>math rock, emo, aussie

recording this single i learned that years of aural training have rendered my ears useless when it comes to analysing music sonically

melancholydaydreams.bandcamp.com

>shoegaze
>dream pop
>bedroom pop

Latest singles bois

Recs:

grogorgan.bandcamp.com/

>lofi, tape loops, fuzz

That I should just make music I like even if the people i know might think it sucks

yamir.bandcamp.com/album/yamir
>post-rock
>guitar ambient // dark ambient
>experimental electronics
>it can get a little droney at times
>small bits of noise rock
>my music is available on iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, and others

>you can rate all of my releases on RYM if you're into that:
rateyourmusic.com/artist/yamir_c_

>please follow me on spotify, it really doesn't matter if you listen to me or not:
open.spotify.com/artist/3s2BQA0wYsNqPZmR3kAN2p

>music video i made [bad]:
youtube.com/watch?v=LCXv3ANqDWw

>what is something you've learned over the course of making an album/ep
how to fucking mix things properly and also not to add too many pointless layers of sound that really won't make the song as textured as you think and instead will make it muddy as fuck.

(completely agree with everything you said)
recs

s-s-seance w-when

johnnygoth.bandcamp.com/releases

>overcast
>dream-pop
>lo-fi
>surf-goth

Rec all these

scrugley.bandcamp.com/

>untalented parasite

torrentmypets.bandcamp.com/album/untitled2

>plunderphonics
>deep internet
>muzak
>pop

hodegetria-our-lady-of-the-way.bandcamp.com/

>ambient
>noise
>industrial
>Christian-themed

re: the question, for the two albums I have made, the most critical point in their creation isn't the playing, or recording, or even composing the individual songs, it's the structuring: once I have all of my tracks in a form I appreciate as single songs, I have to restructure them to link them into one flowing piece, and the sequencing is as critical as composition.

rec, love this, "Feels Like We're Dying" is one of the best songs of the year

texh.bandcamp.com/

>the best thing in this thread so far

namesmusic.bandcamp.com/

>emo
>mathrock
>poppunk
>jazz

As for what I've learnt, talent is responsibility. Being able to come face to face with artistic short comings and learning to circumvent them over time is a skill that one must develop in order to maintain tact and direction in the studio.

Psychedelic straight edge hardcore singer-songwriter

petedauphin.bandcamp.com/album/pete-dauphin-band

lucasmaino.bandcamp.com/

>psychedelic, synth-pop, warm, funky, latin-american rythms.

recc:
Awesome stuff

Resina
Psychedelic/experimental rock from Santiago, Chile, presenting the first full length album
resinaoficial.bandcamp.com/

bump.

irrationalists.bandcamp.com/releases

>folk/punk

I've learned as lot about music theory, music psychology and weird audio things like compression & EQ.

my newest album:
lethargic-in-the-park.bandcamp.com/album/into-paradise

>ambient, experimental, lowfi synth

reccomendo

this is me. forgot to answer the question. i've learned patience, as my computer is very slow and i have to rerecord a thousand times because of lag. some of my songs have definitely grown stale to me because i've sang them a million times.

listening to this. liking the prose and the guitar work. especially the guitar, i always love mathy riffs.. i like the parts where you sing more loudly/higher

christian themes are refreshing here. i like the later half of "i feel the earth slip from my feet." i had to click on "this many angels can dance on a head of a pin" because of the name and i wasn't disappointed. very immersive music, keep doing what you do.

i like your voice. the emotion in this is nice. bitter sweet feeling. imagery was good in the lyrics.

one more comment i will make on this one, your accent is perfect for this genre. this is really good

hope you will enjoy our blackened death metal project.
We do covers of famous dance/pop songs but we r going to do original ones too.
Check out our first experiment here
youtube.com/channel/UCB0xzB_76kEApP2l2z08urA

well... we have bandcamp too, if you prefer it.
deathpul.bandcamp.com/album/deathp-l

>I've learned as lot about music theory, music psychology and weird audio things like compression & EQ.

to clarify (because I misread the question) I learn more about all these things throughout the production of every new album. I'm always trying to push my understanding of sound and theory.

I know it's a generic answer but I'm still kinda new to this whole thing, so I'm sure there's more substantial stuff I'll learn as I improve over this next year (and onward)

andrewyounker.bandcamp.com/album/brainchild

>dream pop album, tapes soon

ive learned that you cant really ever let the amount of equipment you have hold you back. you can always make something sound at least a little professional if you work hard on recording procedures.

also, double tracked guitars is the secret ingredient ;)

I started playing guitar a little over 2 years ago and found an interest in independent music around the same time, and this led me to lo-fi. It inspired me to start recording on my own, and being a dumb and over eager 15 year old at the time, I did a lot of it by trial and error; starting on a Tascam Portastudio MF-PO1 and working my way up.

I'm finally in a position with my music where I feel like I can make things sound like I want them to, like in my head, and that I can convey my ideas and vent whatever is going on in my life properly through the medium. I'm trying to make my music and good as possible, but my mission isn't to be a dope indie band or whatever. Just release something I'm proud of and to purge all these thoughts that have cluttered my mind over the past few years.

My music has always been low-key and I haven't shared it with too many friends. But after recently beating a years long struggle with depression I'm feeling weirdly overconfident and decided to place a name upon myself and announce an album that I've started recording for today. I have so many songs written over the course of the past few years, and the album is basically another dumb teen angst concept album with new songs interspersed with old songs done when I was a lot younger. This is going to be the intro song, (It's meant to sound amateur such as the slightly out of time lead guitar, that is part of the concept part.. but i am probably gonna decide that is stupid and change my mind so i will probably fix before i put it on the album.) But... I'm proud of it. I'm excited about this. I'm motivated and its the most ambitious thing I've ever done. That's why I've decided to bring it here and be humbled by hate and try to work on the idea more, or be colored surprised by people who actually dig it and become more motivated. If so.. I can get more into the concept if people care.

soundcloud.com/bl00dyknuckles/cry-baby
let me know what u think. thx 4 always being there, Sup Forums.

really like this, sounds sonically sort of like Slanted and Enchanted, most notably on Brave. really dope.

JUST RELEASED! Feedback appreciated

>synths
>beats
>sci-fi
>breakbeat
>chiptune

kadett.bandcamp.com/album/ztarse

as someone who just found a bunch of old religious vinyl at a swap shop and wanted to do something with it, you've inspired me. really cool!!

That drum sound on the intro track has me popping a stiffy to be honest.

theflynntones.bandcamp.com/releases
>Alternative Metal
>Elements of prog

Probably just how much of a pain it is to cut everything into place correctly and the importance of dynamics when it comes to bass cos I didn't really think about it much live until we went into the studio for the first time.

this is nice

Hey I can steal album art from popular meme pages on Facebook too

how did u do drums

krss.bandcamp.com/album/halicon

>lo-fi
>electronic