What languages can you understand based on your native language?

what languages can you understand based on your native language?

can Nordics understand each other? can Dutch and Germans understand each other? what about Poles and Lithuanians or Ukrainians and Russians?

>English:
can't understand shit because it's a Frankenstein's monster of a language from Germanic and Latin

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=h4n5FPwpfcY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yeah, we understand swedish and danish people, but sometimes it's little bit hard because they're pronouncing words very differently than norwegian.

Serbocroatian, decently, and Slovak, somewhat, as well as the rudiments of Czech, Polish and Russian. Bulgarian? Wouldn't count on it, though many individual words are outright identical.

none

French speakers owning at least half a brain can easily understand the general meaning of Italian sentences.

Spanish and Portuguese is not as close, but part of it is still understandable.

A significant part of English words with more than 3 syllabs is easily understable in French.

None.

>Finnish
>no one
>tfw

Some words in Estonian are very similar, or the exact same, but then there's a few (or a lot for all I know) boobytraps like
>raamat (book in Estonian)
>raamattu (bible in Finnish)
>piim (milk in Estonian)
>piimä (buttermilk, or sour milk, in Finnish)

>90 to 100%

Frisian, Flemish, afrikaans

>60%

german

>40%

Danish, norwegian, swedish

I can understand memes in Portuguese if pictures are accompanied

>tfw your languages is only relevant because it's a lingua franca
HAHAHAHAHA

all dutch can understand afrikaans for at least 80% and german for at least 50%

Faroese basically copied Icelandic orthography in the 19th century and therefore I can understand written Icelandic fairly easily. Faroese and Icelandic have developed independently for 1000 years though and therefore it's quite hard to understand spoken Icelandic, but I can understand certain phrases and understand a couple of words in a sentence.

Based on my native language : only Occitan and Italian.

I can't understand shit in other romance languages.

As for other languages I speak, well I guess my answer would be biased.

>piimä

piemel (penis) in dutch

>flemisch

THATS A FUCKING DUTCH-DIALECT FUCKING KANKERVMBO'ER

>Slovene and Slovak
Mistaking children with slaves has always made me laugh.

They're not the only ones that misunderstand us. The Slovenian word for the direction west is the Croatian word for toilet desu.

zelfde geld voor fries en afrikaans diknek

en nederlands is een dialect van duits volgens sommigen

Zakaj greš zahod ?
- Zato, ker imam drisko.

Nice one, did not know.

NIET WAAR KANKERAUTIST
AFRIKAANS IS EEN DOCHTERTAAL
FRIES IS EEN ZUSTERTAAL

Spanish, Italian and some words in French.

kven and karelian are for some reason considered their own languages
thats totally different

>zustertaal

dat woord trek je net uit je reet

daarbij is het enorm subjectief wat wel of niet een taal is

serven en croaten menen een andere taal te spreken sinds de balkanoorlog. Ze kunnen elkaar echter prima verstaan

marokkanen en kuweitsen menen allebei arabisch te spreken maar als ze allebei plat spreken verstaan ze mekaar niet.

Spanish and Italian.

Most of the time we understand what people in Quebec try to say.
That's about if for foreign languages.

none but when reading, I can understand approx 20-30% of Chinese.

youtube.com/watch?v=h4n5FPwpfcY

It's the other way around

Zašto ideš na zahod?
Zato što imam dizenteriju.

Zakaj odhajaš na zahod?
Zato ker nimam službe.

Azeri and some central Asian languages.

hell, some finns struggle to understand my dialect

I can understand Scots Gaelic. They're so similar, the Canadian government used to count them as the same language.

>trying to understand what foreigners say in their language

Why even bother?
Just say "sorry I don't understand you", then walk away

none.

Switzergerman - It's a bit different but easier to understand than Plattdeutsch
Dutch - I can read it easily, understand maybe 60% spoken language
Danish - It's readable with a bit of efford, understand maybe 40% spoken language
Swedish / Norwegian - Possible to read, understand swedish easier than norwegian but it's here and there easy sentences

>tfw we also have flemish and frisian as dialects

>ukrainians

Ukrain( i spend in it 12 summers, so I can speac fluently), Belarus(in general) and Polski( about 40%)

>95%+
Norwegian

>80%
Swedish

>40%
German

M*cedonian no problem, a good amount of Serbocroat, Russian, Ukrainian, Belorussian. Czech, Slovak and Polish generally give me autism but if I try I can understand some of it too.

Karelian(almost identical to Finnish)
Southern Estonian dialects to a lesser extent because they are archaic.
Vepsä language of Putins ancestors to an even smaller extent

Not Estonian though it's gibberish.

Arabic, and the sprinkles of italian help to make learning it a breeze.

English:

Nothing

Interesting. What are the dot lines?

maybe you can understand a little Irish

Albanian:None
But with my knowledge of English and standard Albanian lingua franca,I can pretty much understand Italian

Portugese
Catalan
French on a very basic level
Italian is easier than french
Romanian a couple of words

so polish would be a key language to crack this fuck fest?

>what languages can you understand based on your native language?
I can understand Danish, Swedish and Faroese quite well with my knowledge of Norwegian.

I also speak German and English, so I can understand a large amount of Dutch.

how is Albanian?
any similar to Turkish?

just asking cause it's an islamic caliphate

obligatory nordic
can kind of read icelandic
german we can kind of make out the words but very cloudy, dutch is less cloudier but harder to translate

Catalan? Aquitinian?

This.
But exchange
>60%
with dutch.

Well even UK it's an Islamic caliphate,yet English isn't a mongre-oh wait.Anyway no, Albanian is an indoEuropean language not close to Turkish at all.In fact not close to any language.

t. Rotterham orphan

>tfw I speak English, Russian and Armenian
I can pretty much talk to anyone in the world

I heared that it's easy to make business in Romania as Frenchmen. Is it easier for you to learn their language?

>People always forget galician

English is my native language and I'd have an easier time understanding French, Spanish, or Italian than Irish. Irish has very little in common with English.

On the other hand, Scots is so close to English that some people consider it a dialect of English and not its own language.

sorry ;_;

Isn't Galician so close to Portuguese that, cultural/historical stuff aside, they're basically the same language?

Ive heard that since Scotland was not conquered by the Normies they use more germanic words

I think that's true, yeah.

Also, some people draw distinctions between the Scots language per se, and Scottish English. But the line is fuzzy.

>reee he gets offended
I'm Turkish fucking thinskins lmfao, that's why I asked

Finnish I guess. It is closest to American

Also Scotland is one of the last parts of the English-speaking world where at least some speakers regularly use "thou" instead of "you" in familiar speech. But that's mostly the older generations.

"Thou" also sees use in parts of Northern England, like Lancashire.

Yes, well spoken Galician sounds like a stereotypical northern portuguese accent

Ní dócha go dtuigfeadh sé focal ar bith.

While I have you, is Persian as mutually intelligible with Dari and Tajik as they say? Trying to get a native's perspective.

Oh sorry.I thought you were the typical asshead anglo

czech and slovak both sound like meme versions of polish however, slovak is easier. To understand russian or ukrainian you need vodka and moonrunes lector.

Galiza é Portugal ;D

Scots, Yola, and Finngalian, but those are Anglic languages and might be thought of as dialects.
If you're really finicky, Friscian can be intelligible

Written Portuguese

It seems kind of like the Scots/English thing, really.

Someone speaking Scots and someone speaking English with a heavy Scottish accent sound pretty much the same.

I second this

This. Literally none.

How about Patwa?

I can't catch more than like 30-40% of it, and that's so optimistic it's almost an exaggeration.

The difference between someone speaking Patwa and one speaking English with a Jamaican accent is a lot bigger than I expected.

Spanish:
I can understand Portuguese perfectly.
I can have conversations with Italians, but I understand a little bit less than with Portuguese speakers.
I can't understand shit in French or Romanian.

>spanish
I understand it pretty well, spoken and written language, but I'd say Castilian is the dialect I understand the most.

>Italian
Written language is kind of a mistery, but I can get like 40 or 50% of the spoken language.

>french
The opposite of italian: I can get like 40% of the written language, but when they open their mouth I have no idea what's going on.
The difference between the written and the spoken language in french is so stupid it makes english reasonable.

>romanian
I have a hard time trying to understand this, I can get some words here and there but that's it.

Fucking none

Daily reminder that Albanians use the word sister for their mother

Albanian word for mother:nënë

Isn't you're closest linguistic relative back in eastern Russia where y'all came from?

I know the Finnic languages are related, but they're far off linguistically, just geographically closer.

Isolated Indo-European languages are cool

Good tier - belorussian and ukrainian. Understand almost everything.

Not so good tier - polish and macedonian.

None.

Thanks,but imo the coolest and most unique language is Basque

This is true, of the two Anglic languages still in any real use (Yola and Finngalian left out), Scots would be most intelligiblish to Friscians.
Lowland Scots take from the northern Anglo-Saxon earldoms like Northumbria, which weren't conquered whole places like Wessex, Mercia, East Anglia, Sussex, and Kent were.
That's also where those fucker treasonous Earls that sides with the Normans came from, funny how they stayed the more Anglo-Saxon of them.

>understand standard Arabic
>understand ancient hebrew
It was quite a surprise, I started watching some movie in Hebrew but ended up not need any subs. Don't know if it works the other way around though, any Jews to confirm ?

Also speaking Arabic doesn't help at all to understand Farsi, though it makes learning how to write the alphabet easier.

>French speakers owning at least half a brain can easily understand the general meaning of Italian sentences.
I do manage to get some WORDS, but I'm still far from understanding a whole sentence.

>The difference between the written and the spoken language in french is so stupid it makes english reasonable.
true

They're crazy. It's looking back into Europe before us Indo-Europeans came.

Pretty crazy, they might've been of the same ethnic family responsible for Stonehenge.

That's because they're both Semitic.
Do we have any surviving Phoenician texts? Could you understand those?

I wonder how close the non-Cannanite languages are?

Farsi is completely unrelated to Arabic, hilariously, English and French are closer if anything.

Argentinean Spanish and South Brazilian Portuguese

there's no real reason for understanding us more than you would understand any other spanish speaker.

except for chileans, nobody can understand chileans.

Can't seem to find proper understandable Khanty or Mansi (allegedly the ethnics that are the closest to us) audio, so I can't really determine that. Finnish and Estonian are a long shot, we understand nothing from them.

Understanding Castellano is a pain in the ass tho. Their phonetics is closer to Greek than Italian.

Most scandis online overstate our abilities to understand each other. Many words are completely different from each other so you can't possibly understand most of what another person is saying. I can comprehend danish about as good as I can german, which is practically nothing.

As a georgian speaker none other language.
As an english speaker I understand some french words which these languages share.
As a french speaker a bit of italian and spanish is comprehensible.
As a russian speaker I do understand some ukrainian not much, but almost none of the rest of slavbros.

German.
Sometimes Danish.
Eh.

what about in written form though?

I couldn't possibly distinguish a single word a frenchman says.
but if I read french I understand pretty much the entire meaning of a phrase even if there's a word here and there that I don't understand.

well, it's easier, especially norwegian you could probably understand almost everything if the vocabulary is on an easy level.