So, what exactly was her role in all this...

So, what exactly was her role in all this? Besides the whole "CIA can't operate on US soil unless accompanied by a domestic agency" schtick.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0nrjHF7wPbs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Eye candy.

That was her entire role. Shitty character in a overall good movie though.

He was the symbol of plebs
Thinks she's important but she's not.
She's just used and forced to do what the "elites" want her to do.

?

To get everything explained to her, just like Ellen
Page's character in Inception

>mfw feminists think this is a "strong woman" masterpiece

>emily blunt will NEVER step on your balls
just die in my sleep already
( ._.) ( ;_;)

That was literally the only reason she was involved. She was a tool used by the CIA. They wanted somebody relatively new that could be strung along easily, and the fact she was a woman was perfect also since they tend to be less confrontational with their superiors.

Where's a good torrent for this, can't find shit

I literally just picked the one on TPB that says 1080p. Just look at the screenshots before you download

She was an audience substitute like tommy lee johns character in no country for old men. She acts the way the writers thought an audience member whould react to the things going on in the film.

Well clearly they didn't expect Sup Forums to be in the audience

I only use KAT. I thought PB got shut down, how do you get there?

www.leddit.com

Domain name goes down but the IP doesn't. I don't understand the specifics, thats a Sup Forums question. Just Google it

Kate Macer as a character was built from the Athena archetype, acting as the keeper of the ideals of virtue and justice within the institution of Law and Order. Her role on the story was acting as a sort of shield maiden protecting the virtues against the corruption she was faced with as the story unfolded.

Like Athena, she could come across as having wide eyed innocence or naivety in her idealism, but her faith is put to the test and doesn't break. Also like Athena and her loyalty to Zeus and his cosmic order, Kate has a very strong relationship with a father figure in Alejandro that mirrors the Athena Zeus dynamic a little bit

Thanks for the help faggot.

Sounds too complicated for my pleb brain

Is Athena the goddess of wisdom? How exactly does that fit with innocence?

I mean just Google their new address, literally type TPB into Google.

>how do you get there?
are you joking, dude?

Feminists were actually mad because she got smacked around and saved by men constantly

those texans and delta force dudes were badass

any other good depictions of delta?

She was a deconstruction of the "strong female" trope.

Another parallel to Athena is her uncomfortability with sensual femininity, coming to adopt a tomboyish appearance and a very withdrawn sexuality.

Athena has an inner purity in how she views the world that can occasionally come across as naive or innocent, as she is the Goddess of form and order within civilization. Things that conflict with this often shock and disturb her, such as accidentally witnessing Poseidon and Medusa having sex in her temple. She does not see the profane in her world.

If we view the Greek mythological canon in this context, we can understand Zeus's Olympian Order as a patriarchal social structure, while the Titanic Order under Gaia is a matriarchal social order. Athena is the most stalwart and faithful defender of Zeus's patriarchal order and is diametrically opposed to the matriarchy of Gaia. There is some of this sentiment in Sicario, as Kate isn't a character who views herself as independent from men in any regard.

No

Another good example of a character embodying this archetype is Eowyn in Return of the King, who takes up the sword of Rohan's spirit as a shield maiden and defends it against the Witch King. This is a big part of why I enjoyed Kate Macer and Sicario as a whole personally. It was a movie that was born of a traditional mentality rather than a subversive one. These are women of principle and inner virtue who carry the fire of their people into the darkness to face great evil.

Came here to make the No Country connection. Sup Forums seems to be acting extra retarded today.

I was thinking the same thing.

Nailed it.

They show her shooting dudes at the start so we think she is some ace but in reality she was just full of herself after that and actually thought she was that important.

She was really just a tool. I expected her to be more bad ass given she shot that mexi copper. Not only was she not taken seriously as law enforcer but even as a women.

Framing the narrative through the eyes of Kate as she went deeper into this world of cartels and illegal CIA assassinations is the exact thing that made it so good to me. I was so goddamn immersed in what was happening through the entire sequence of events from their drive through Juarez to the shootout on the bridge. Those scenes are so well structured. It's that feeling of immersion that makes me like movies to begin with honestly. I want to live an exciting adventure vicariously though the characters, and this movie delivered that. I felt like I was a part of that goddamn convoy sitting in that back seat with them.

>mra thinks she was exploited because shes a women rather than for her greenhorn morals

She was in deep over her head user. That's what made her endearing. She was thrown face first into this world of covert CIA operations knowing nothing.

Exactly, she could have easily been a man instead and the story wouldn't have to change much.

She thought she was on the level with these guys but she was no where even close. It's like you playing basketball against LeBron

People often seem to struggle developing their psychological understanding of women to the point where they can see each woman as an individual in and of herself that doesn't represent all women as a whole. It gets really bad with some types of people to the point where it hampers their capacity to interact with others.

I agree with you. This film was suspenseful and entertaining. I just expected more of her character. Maybe thats the intention of the director. I found myself wanted to see more of Alejandro/Medellins point of view.

Her inexperience compared to the others served to amplify just how far outside of normal society these men really were. Having the protagonist be on the same level as the special forces operators would have made the whole thing feel mundane, but with Kate as the protagonist we get a sense of grandeur from seeing these high level missions unfold.

So the US helped a colombian get even with some Mexis?

>female agent is used as a plot device for a normal (female) viewer has something to relate to, otherwise it's 2 hours of mexicans getting shot

It was an attempt to rope in normies on an operator film.

I know what you mean. Archetypal characters like Kate can often come across as broad or maybe a little undefined, but that's because they're meant to represent more than just themselves as a person. They are meant to be kept relatively minimalist in a way. They are defined as characters in their interactions with the world around them, and through them we are supposed to be able to gain an understanding of the ideals they are meant to represent.

The best example of this idea would be Conan the Barbarian. As a character he doesn't say much, as he is the vehicle through which the philosophy of the story is understood and experienced in practice. They are supposed to be Archetypal figures for the audience to contemplate upon.

the mexs were out of control and something had to be done but yeah sicario got his revenge while helping bring back control to the U,S govt(cartel)

I believe it was implied that they were trying to help the Columbians reassert their dominance over the drug trade over the Mexicans, as the CIA formed an alliance with them. Alejandro was a man that would work for any organization that allowed him to strike against the cartels.

I wonder how many times these types of missions have occurred irl.

The CIA has been supporting militant rebel factions overthrow governments in third world countries with weapons, training, destabilization tactics and strategic assassinations so they can install proxy governments in their place since the 50's.

Its nice to see someone on Sup Forums who actually watches a movie and understands it

She's the embodiment of naive American idealism.

I was glad when Alejandro iced the whole senpai in the end. Drug lord offspring are insufferable.

She was just a pawn in a man's game. How this got made in 2015 I have absolutely no fucking idea.

If this was made in 2016 Emily Blunt's character would be a man and her superiors would be female.

Thank fuck Peter Jackson didn't do a direct adaptation oif LoTR. Jesus christ could you imagine?

all me.

I don't think so, Sicario had this kind of crazy realism to it that wouldn't work with all women. It's not realistic.

>but her faith is put to the test and doesn't break

until it does break. at the point of a gun from your 'father figure' and she violates her ideals and signs the paper. this is why she doesn't shoot him from the balcony, because she realises in that moment that she is broken and no better than him

That's true, I guess I didn't consider the ending as much as I should have. I suppose that is the ultimate consequence of Alejandro becoming the Sicario, the idealistic Kate is reduced to a life hiding in the suburbs, and another boy in Mexico is left without a father while the violece around him has no end in sight.

nonetheless a very cool film, wish it had won one of the oscars it was nominated for.

someone linked this video in a sicario thread a while back, pretty interesting watch

youtube.com/watch?v=0nrjHF7wPbs

She's the audience.

The movie actually had extremely well crafted symbolic imagery in the way it framed it's scenes. It was all done very subtly too, which gives it a lot of rewatch value, at least to me. The story was given an almost mythical kind of feeling, like Kate was a Persephone like figure being taken from her mothers neatly cultivated gardens into the wild woods and finally into the depths of the Underworld. The scene where they enter into the desert to assault the tunnel came across like that to me, like they were entering into the shadowy realm of Hades.

I'm gonna try and find some other shots from the movie that have this kind of imagery too.

but shes not even attractive

literal plain jane

The naive boy scout type who wants to do the right thing but does not understand the nature of people whatsoever.

Is this Zero Dark Thirty pt 2?

Should I watch Incendies?

Also, good fucking thread for once.

Not even close to the same thing

Here's a good shot that relates to the whole "mirage of a moral world" concept in this video. This is where we start to realize that the established systems of authority actually have no real authority, with the American flag drooping listlessly in the shadows pushed into the corner, with Kate's superiors reflection in the picture frame, implying that his position is itself nothing but a decoration on the wall of this institution. The whole structure is only there for show.

Kate refers to Matt as a spook. What's a spook?

Faceless and nameless government types that are sent out into the world to intimidate and silence people

One of the things that this movie touched on was the impact all of this has on the people living in these cities, showing them as jaded by the end of the film. Although i wish it was explored more, i understand that it may have not been the main point of the movie. The shot where they are in mexico and there were bodies hanging from a bridge was excellent as stuff like that really happened. I did have a problem with the scene where they are back on the US side and they are looking over at Juarez and we see tons of explosions and all this craziness. I thought it was a bit over the top. It looked like Syria or something like that. But it's not a major complaint.

Ghosts, spies, negroids.

Not to mention he later says that it's only elected officials who have the power to bring guys like Matt in, by the transitive property it's the voting body that places men like the Medellin into power(just as guilty as the snorters/shooters).

I believe what you were seeing was the resulting power struggle between factions within the cartel after "cutting off the head of the snake" according to the Delta operative.

It wasn't a daily thing.

Yeah, I think that part was trying to show how much turbulence is caused just by their short drive through the city

IMO I don't think the CIA had an alliance with a cartel in order to restore the "Medellín" Cartel. Matt is just lying to Kate about that because she's the type (dumb and naive) who would believe it. I think the CIA themselves want to run and control much of the drug trade, not any particular cartel. To the CIA that is the best way to control the wars. Medellín is the CIA and the SAD/DELTA black op assassination is simple step in the ultimate plan. And then yeah, Alejandro is an independent who is filled with enough revenge/rage to not give a fuck so SAD brought him in as a sicario.

Hard to say. Medellin was a real colombian cartel in real life, and up until the CIA and colombian government assassinated and imprisoned all their top players in the 80s, they did control the cocaine trade. since then it devolved into anarchy with power shifting north to mexico. it's feasible that the CIA might want to return things to how they used to be

That's how I took it. Matt at the end seemed to be talking about how there is no hope of eliminating the drug trade, so their best option after that is to build some kind of ordered system for it that they have control over. He might have just been referring to the CIA itself doing this, I don't know.

Right, that's a fair point as the ugliest parts of Mexico's war on drugs was pretty much sparked because the fighting between factions was getting out of hand. Mind you, i don't think it was a bad scene, it was cool how she reacts to realizing she made it out of some sort of hell that they helped cause, i just think it could have been done better. Maybe by showing the aftermath of these skirmishes. Newspapers in those towns never shied away from showing that sort of stuff, their front pages looked like a gore thread straight from Sup Forums. The streets themselves were always sloppily cleaned up as casings and dried blood were still left over most of the time.

I do agree that its hard to say and that its possible the CIA wants a return to the older ways. In the end its just a theory. I've only seen the film 1.5 times so my opinion could change.

>ctrl+f ";_;"
>1 of 1 bluntposters
HE CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT

The way they wove Alejandro into this world and his role in it was so well done. He's entirely outside the hierarchies of authority that hamper official government agents, so he's the man they send into situations even beyond the reach of the CIA and it's special forces. He lives entirely within such an exclusive and distant part of the world. There are probably only a handful of people that know he exists

This