Can you believe U2 were actually kind of cool once, before Bono's ego got bigger than the planet Neptune?

Can you believe U2 were actually kind of cool once, before Bono's ego got bigger than the planet Neptune?

Not bad album but holy fuck is it ever dated.

Good in the relative sense, I just tried to go back to one of my favorite U2 albums (Zooropa) yesterday and I realized it was great in the context of their work but overall, it's still nothing special and then I got sad and realized I can probably never go back to my other early favorites like Boy and War or I'll realize those weren't that great either

99 percent of music from the 80s is dated.

bono always had a mega ego from the start
at least in the 90s he sort of parodied himself, then subsequently became the real thing full stop

Police fan here. Bono learned at Sting's knee about being in a cool band then shitting on its reputation by having an ego that will knock Earth out of orbit and into the sun.

Sound-wise it's held up pretty well, the lyrics about the Troubles and the US-Soviet confrontation totally.

Achtung Baby's one of the best albums of the 90's

u2 ARE NOT post-punk

Boy through War are

War [Island, 1983]

The deadly European virus that's always tainted this band turns out to be their characteristic melodic device, a medieval-sounding unresolved fifth frequently utilized by monks in Hollywood movies. In other respects, however, their hot album is rock and roll indeed. The Edge becomes a tuneful guitarist by the simple expedient of not soloing, and if Bono has too many Gregorian moments his conviction still carries the music. Anyway, I'll take his militant if pacifist Christianity ("The real battle has begun/To claim the victory Jesus won") over most of the secular humanism and Jah love rockers are going in for these days. B+

the first 40 seconds of New Year's Day is the only U2 I can stand

that's funny because Christgau says he's a fedora, yet he ultimately thinks Bonos Christfaggotry is more uplifting than metal bands singing about Satan

meme

Angles and Airwaves are a better U2 than U2.

He was raised in an extreme Christfag household and his brother is a minister. I guess he likes the moral stuff but he just doesn't believe in the supernatural part of it.

Which is ok I guess, it's better at least than Lemmy saying he hates religion because it's stopping him from being a degenerate.

What's the 1% that isn't dated?

>The deadly European virus that's always tainted this band
What does he mean by that?

He's saying Yuropoors don't truly "get" rock-and-roll and instead try to mishmash it with classical music.

Bleach by Nirvana and Sonic Youth/Dinosaur Jrs albums from the 80s

What are some examples of u2 using an unresolved 5th?