Any faggots here doing anything related to cyber security...

Any faggots here doing anything related to cyber security? Decided working minimum wage isn't getting me anywhere and I've taken an interest in network security and the like. Any advice, where to start, should i bother etc etc?

you need a college degree or you wont get far

/thread

Also you need 2-4 years experience in a related field.

dont want to commit myself to half a life of debt until i know this is what i want to do, anyway i can get my feet wet with the limited coding experience i have?

Please see

You don't need a degree.
Look at getting your CEH at least, then learn as much as you can and be a private consultant. Once you get some experience, you can get your CISSP.

"limited coding" sounds more like you have no idea what you are doing. The thing is that IT Security is about outsmarting other people. Finding vulnerabilitys in code 1000s of people have looked at, understanding complex system and securing them or fixing the Crypto stuff normal IT Boiis do wrong. If you have no degree and no insanely good education in IT you can try to secure the IT of your local backery. You cant work in an Enterprise enviroment. You wont get hired.

Much obliged mate, I'll look into it straight away.

by 'limited coding' i mean i self taught myself a basic understanding of C++, C# and java for fun, while I understand the security side of things will be much different to that, i simply wondered if the basic ideas i'd grasped would transfer in any way over to security. That's all, but thanks.

Teaching yourself doesn't mean shit in the real world, kid.
You don't have a certified institution backing you, hence it's just your word against the world's.
Oh you taught yourself C++? Yeah great job, kid! We'll hire you!

Not how it works, kid.

Why so much edgy "kid"

bruh why did my comment get deleted. lmao idiot mods.

Truth hurts.
Stay in school though

Well aware teaching myself things for fun does not mean I'm certified in anything. Once again I was just wondering if any of the things I'd learned while doing so would transfer into security/make it easier to understand. I never said i deserved to be hired by anyone for anything. I just asked questions, stop trying to be so edgy.

checked

The cyber security industry is full of clowns and charlatans. If you can bullshit, you'll do fine.

Not being edgy.
Just pointing out what's already been pointed out.
Regardless of what you know or think you know trying to get into the field, unless you have a degree and significant experience, it's not going to happen.

I guess you want me to tell you what skills you need to compete, here you go:
grab youself a copy of the HAC (Handbook of Applied Cryptography) and learn everything by hard. Now you know Cryptography the cryptofoundations till the year 2001. Its probably 2017 by now so you just need to learn 16 more years of Research in a highly developing Field. 3 2 1 LETZ GO

Try to get an entry-level IT job (think helpdesk and related shit), with a company that will pay and/or reimburse for certifications. Train yourself in security related fields, and get as many certs as possible.

While there's no harm in self-training without getting certs, and in an interview being able to talk intelligently about what you've learned might actually land you some positions, no company (worth working for) is going to hire you fresh off the street for a security-related position. Get into a company you'd like to work for in an entry position and educate yourself and/or take advantage of the training they offer to advance into that sort of role.

It's a great field, but even with numerous certs you won't be likely considered for any meaningful position without experience, and probably experience within the company. They simply don't want someone in charge of protecting their environment who's not a) familiar with their environment and b) an established, trusted employee.

certificates dont mean shit
what matters is experience
if you are good at something then find a way you can showcase it. e.g. with a personal project and build yourself a portfolio that way.

I actually have useful advice for this. Look into getting a Security+ Certification. Whether its in addition to college or in lieu of it it will help stand out to employers.

Cheers, might make for a good read while i work.

I'm transferring to the IT dep as some glorified coffee grabber in a month or two, so I'll see what i can do from there. Thank you though.

Doubt I can build a portfolio of penetrating and patching networks that would mean anything without imprisonment, but I like the idea, ill have to look at something like that. thanks.

Thanks mate, I'll have a look.

You've all been a great help, Thanks a lot.

Why does it say OUT KEEP on her door?

cause she NEET

The idea of a college degree is complete bullshit.

You do not need any quallification for a 'good' job.
unless you are a sheep...

There is so much more than college can teach already online.

If you have determination, use it.

Learn everythung yu can to become the best.

Find flaws in large company security then approch them to fix it.

Think they give a shit about your college piece of peper?

NOPE.

they could lose money here.

Your already more qualified than the best guy they found to 'fix' this shit.

Sciddy talk, dont listen to this

For starters using the phrase "cyber security" will let everyone know you have no idea wtf you are doing.

Generally refered to as infosec for a broad term, with a bunch of different sub terms.

Secondly, there are a million easier fields to get into well above minimum wage, unless you have a real passion for it, don't try.

Thirdly you don't just "get into it". I saw people who had been coding for years at reasonably decent levels drop out in 1st semester software architecture classes cause they couldn't cope.

And finally, if you really really are motivated and interested in the field look at getting any sort of IT job and advancing from there, you will also need to go to uni, you won't learn appropriate skills in any timely sort of manner through online forums and self teaching.

What I recommend doing;

If you are still in highschool, find internships. your state FBI or other law enforcement will probably have one. if its in a IT field thats a +++

Go to your community college and get an Associate in Applied Science.

Find IT work while doing classes- either student IT or online tech support (supportDOTcom for example) That is a real website/business.

After college get certs.

Not worth getting a bachelor imo. Sure, it helps. but ehh

This is Fear talking...

He knows the sciddys are better than the white nights. and he doesn't want any more competing for his work.

I've seen the hiring process.
Qualifications are the last thing looked at, if you're relying on them to pull you through and you haven't impressed by the time they eventually look at them, you already don't have the job.

Depending on where you are, you may not need an expensive 4-year degree. There are 2-year entry-level college courses in Canada (US equivalent: 'community college') to get your foot in the door. From there it's all experience.

how is op not banned for being underaged yet?

Enjoy being replaced by software by the time youre out of school.

I've decided to go to the army for network communications and something other I forgot to get me a little set up. Plus it pays for college to get me into network security and administration.

Who's going to code the software? Lol

These things already exist.
There are people creating more of these technologies as we speak

been out of high school for a few years now, any specific certs off the top of your head? Sure i could research it but its nice to have input from people other than myself.

Almost entirely new to the idea so 'cyber security' was the first term that came to mind, thanks for the input though. Ill stop using that.

I'm an ausfag so there might be something, haven't looked deep enough to find it yet though.

No sweat, when it reaches that point automation will have taken any other job im qualified for so ill just noose then and there.

Lol

>boiis

It's boys.

B o y s

Boys.

Not, boi, or boii.

Typing that shit, you'd bettwe be the poofiest foff in full drag, because thats what it makes you sound like. I'm an actual homosexual, and I wouldn't even fuck with such a fag. Now get it right next time.

you seem to know more than I do...

Other software at Google.
Can't hack what you cant understand.

Nah, the thing is, in your attack scenario you only grab the low hanging fruits. If you look around and report what you find you only get the easy Bugs. If you teach yourself and dont get a degree you only learn the easy stuff, cause you are not forced to learn "bullshit". Its not about the paper, you get with the degree on it. Its about the stuff you learn in engineering. You cant just go out there and develop the newest crypto toys from stuff you read on Sup Forums. People like you described can never pull off advanced targeted attacks.

this is not true at all in tech fields.

I have no degree and make 140k + bonuses in a senior engineering role. experience and not being a dumbell in the interview is all that matters.

to op, you sound like you have no training. download GNS3 and buy a CCNA book on amazon. teach yourself the basics. learn the osi model and the contents of a packet and how and why it's routed in a network.

then go for an entry level net admin /net eng gig. from there study security and how it can be applied every day and look for an opportunity to take another job.

that first job change will net you huge bank. don't expect to be promoted from within to an adequate salary. 2ish years at your first 2 jobs and you should be ready for the first big one.

Now you have a plan! go get it user. Having money and no loans is awesome.

Not anywhere relevant. There's always a training and certification requirement, especially if you're employer has their hands in something Gov't related. They don't train you; you either successfully pass the cert evals or you're gone. And if you don't have at least a Bachelor's, you should just stick to that minimum wage job.

Other software that needs to be coded itself can't code software itself. It doesn't know how to and it's not the advanced

owasp.org, read up. also set up a server and start coding in php and javascript and using mysql.

O fuk
>Ai writes software, in a programming language that very same Ai creates just to do it, can only be understood by that Ai

inception ensues

>mfw you realize that several companies in USA, Japa, and Germany have been building this shit since 2004, specifically for this purpose, and you personally have no idea how advanced it is or not.

>that face is :|

Everything's a risk, but college gives connections to companies, access to networks. It gives you formal training which in addition to practical training lets you really know your shit. Either way, it's a risk, but college lowers that risk.

cheers lad, what a fucking load of information to take on. Much appreciated, lots more research to be done.

thank you muchly. another good read i'll get into

No you don't you autistic cuck, if you're actually smart and have useful skills, like in CS, you will find a good paying job because a decent employer will recognize them and he know real skills outweigh some stupid piece of paper saying you passed some exams. /thread

Depends what you want to do. "Cyber Security" is pretty meme tier. (analyst/consultant) but if you can get a job strictly doing that then props to you.

network/system admin is pretty good

tech support will always be in need as long as there are retarded people

for certs A+ is a must for anything. security+ and network+ will get you more money but its also good to have. anything else depends on what you want to specialize in/what your job requires.

I'm not talking top of the game clientel here, you get to that after you have been 'through the ranks'

you only need to do enough to get you in.

When you're there you get paid to snoop around the rest.

I'm not saying this is ideal.
I saying hate the mentaility of 'oh you need a degree'.

there is enough infomation already available and the rest is accesible.

you do enough to get the seat, then once you in it...

Red team pentester is where it's at. I'd love to get into it but i'm not sure where to start.
Anywho, if you want to learn 31337 hax0r skeelz you should buy a computer or a server, host it in your house. Don't put it on the interwebs, just run a LAN cable to your main pc, then you firstly secure it and then you try to break into it.

People say that Kali or whatever is good for such things, but the truth is that the best OS for shit like this is Whonix.
Learn how to use meterpreter and such. Learn python and get the python book called
>Black hat python
to learn python you should get the book called
>Learn Python in a weekend

Don't use this shit on real stuff. Only your own, cracking peoples shit will get you caught and V&.
GL & HF.

Yeah whatever man

Won't get you caught if you fucking know what you're doing

You'd be surprised young padawan.

I'm actually working at Intel Security. All I do is to try to Crack the kernel and decrypt passwords. When it happens, I'll fix it. Today is very hard to be a hacker.

Nothing but angsty neckbeards here, OP. I suggest going over to Reddit for serious answers.

Astounded at how little sense that made, hopefully i can come back to this thread when I've saved it in a few months and understand the terms. But thanks, im sure that this information will be a great reference. This is going to sound plebeian as fuck, but i wonder. Could i run a server on my PC Through a separate HDD( and if its possible, to separate a couple of my CPU cores to run it separately from my main system) then could i bypass the need to build a separate system? don't fuck me in the ass for this I'm genuinely interested.

I thought about reddit but i decided i would ask you guys first as I've lurked here longer.

You can, but emulating a OS system into another.

>There is so much more than college can teach already online.
You mean the small amount of info and ideas that make their way outside of the campus world? Everything you'll get a hold of online will be college material, and on college you're somewhat more structured to actually DO the shit you need to do.
>Learn everything you can
You mean, actually putting time into your education and getting taught the latest shit? Like... going to college.
>Find flaws in large company security then approch them to fix it.
This is how you get sued.
How you DO get a job is by verifying your merits, which a college degree does, and with authority.
Sure, if you live in a place where education is not payed for, I can see why not everyone has the ability to go to college, and that's fine. You CAN get a job in this profession without it, just expect being unemployed and once you get a job, you'll be payed half of what the college graduates are. And that's fair, because you can't verify your merits. You're a possible liability. ESPECIALLY if there's a security risk exposed.

i recommend getting a rasbperrypi. a lot cheaper and more fun than VMing

no you don't you fucking idiot

CompTIA is pretty low end but they're a good start.

i'm the original user of the comment. There is 2 ways, you could either get a raspberry pi and have it there. OR you could for free get Oracle VM Virtualbox and just run a "computer on your computer". Look into Virtual box first and then if that isn't enough, get a raspberry.

>ITT:idiots who think that it's 1980 and don't need a college degree to get somewhere that takes a college degree.

Good luck getting the job assbags

I love it when coders think they're smart just because they learned programming.

Go to college or live on /b in envy of those cucs that DID go to college and got that tech job you didn't, and can only dream of.
Nothing good in life is fucking 'free' except the air.
Pay the dues, get the gig.

>
>Teaching yourself doesn't mean shit in the real world, kid.
>You don't have a certified institution backing you, hence it's just your word against the world's.
>Oh you taught yourself C++? Yeah great job, kid! We'll hire you!
>Not how it works, kid.
Partly true. Certs mean nothing but that you selected the mostly true answers but it does show you are willing to learn.

You can also show this by taking charge and trying to recreate 0 days on virtual machines or really understanding why the exploit works

Good luck getting that job kiddo

You can easily learn everything you need to know from Google and Udemy

But no one will hire you without a degree and 5 years of experience working with computers / networks

Since 99% of servers run Linux, make sure you start by learning that. Learning Linux won't make you a "1337 h4xx0r" and more than learning Mac or Windows will (it's just an OS), but it's an OS that a lot of people use so knowing how it works is important.

>Red team pentester is where it's at. I'd love to get into it but i'm not sure where to start.
>Anywho, if you want to learn 31337 hax0r skeelz you should buy a computer or a server, host it in your house. Don't put it on the interwebs, just run a LAN cable to your main pc, then you firstly secure it and then you try to break into it.
>People say that Kali or whatever is good for such things, but the truth is that the best OS for shit like this is Whonix.
>Learn how to use meterpreter and such. Learn python and get the python book called
>>Black hat python
>to learn python you should get the book called
>>Learn Python in a weekend
>Don't use this shit on real stuff. Only your own, cracking peoples shit will get you caught and V&.
>GL & HF.
Its all about networking and talking to people about what you are interested in and being able to prove you know what you are really doing.

> (You)
>Good luck getting that job kiddo
Thanks but already had one for 6 years. Don't need one lol

It's the future for sure..

So by running a VM, trying to break into that by either using my base machine or another vm? Virtual machines are a relatively new thing for me, i knew about them, but never found a purpose that was worth setting it all up.

I believe all i asked for was a good starting point for learning about this, before deciding whether i wanted to put myself in debt to get qualified for it.

You trying to rationalize your expensive degree or something?

Penetration and attacks by basement dwelling teenagers and semi-disciplined rejects turning to for-hire criminal enterprise has been a norm for quite some time.
Education is worth something, but you seem to forget that people that are enthusiastic about this field can simply go to the internet to learn. Universities no longer have a monopoly on knowledge...and even worse, technology tends to outpace curriculum taught at institutions, especially the attack/defense realm. so if you are really looking to advance your skillsets, a 4 year degree program is actually an impediment.

Tl;dr- formal education is overrated in IT. I don't even put my education history on résumés.

I'll spell it out real simple like: go to a college that offers a degree in a field of what you want to pursue in life.
is that clear enough?
This is /b, ya know.