The Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time)

so i guess this is getting a television series

Other urls found in this thread:

theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=894
theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7749
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i have been seeing this symbol more and more often these past few days
why is it getting more exposure recently?

probably because wheel of time has sold 100 million copies and is a very popular series which many people genuinely enjoy and are excited to see adapted into a television show

I hope the White Walkers don't look fake.

just fucking tug my braid senpai

Thanks shill bitch

I don't understand this meme

tfw no aes sedai to sexually bully you

I've tried reading Book 1 of this, but then I get overwhelmed thinking about how many more books are in the series and I put it back on the shelf.

Been doing that on-and-off for the past 8 years!
HALP

Man this is Wheel of Time, not fucking Sword of Truth. No agiel pegging sub-fantasy bullshit here.

It's the women who get sexually bullied, not the men.

you will in time my son

>excited to see adapted into a television show
I dunno if I'm that excited..
I would say I wish people would stop running out of ideas so they don't have to ruin our fantasy novels

One of the characters, Nynaeve, tugs her hair braid whenever she gets frustrated.

And that bitch is frustrated a lot. It's sort of her defining characteristic.

uh

you forgot that graendel exists m8? and that's just the overt stuff, there's plenty of other femdom/switch subtext in wot as well

That's really weird because the series exploded in popularity when the publisher gave away the first half of the novel for free at bookstores.

>It's the women who get sexually bullied, not the men.
Queen Tylin begs to differ. Little piglet.

The first book goes into kind of a drag in the early part after the initial excitement wears off, then gets interesting again about halfway through it, then the ending just makes you want to pick up the next book immediately.

/tv will fucking hate it. All this female magic only crap will trigger your white asses. cant wait to see the shitposts

also it will suck

tylin and mat? graendel's harem? there is incessant subtle bondage theming throughout as well

I don't trust any TV producers to handle this series well. Game of Thrones is one thing, 90% of the series is like a period piece, you just put the actors in costumes and build a setpiece for them to walk around in and you're good. Save the budget for the 1 or 2 moments you need a ton of CGI.

But WoT has magic being used all over the place and people fighting monsters since day 1. No way to do this cheaply and have it look good.

the top ten best scenes in wheel of time contain no magic. the hurr durr dumais wells faggots can get fucked.

It doesn't really matter what you think are the best scenes, how is that even relevant? The fact is the magic and monsters exist and are a huge part of the story that can't be left out or skimped on.

they should just do a show on mat and tuon. ignore the rest

they could easily be skimped on or left out completely because they aren't important. rand and mat as gleemen is enough content to carry two seasons of a television show. you don't know how television works, I do.

I never finished this series. Stopped at Knife of Dreams. Is it worth reading the rest?

Mat is easily the best character in the whole thing

If I recall Mat gets sexually bullied by an aggressive older woman for an entire book.

1.5 books

>they could easily be skimped on or left out completely because they aren't important
Yeah they can just leave out the attack on Two Rivers, the night spent in Shadar Logoth, the attacks in White Bridge, and everything in the Blight and the Eye of the World in book 1. I mean nothing of importance happens in those scenes right? Fuck off.

Ah yeah, and all his friends just laughed it off and Tylin's son even teased him about being his mom's bitch. I might reread some of this series...

>the entire series is focused on the reincarnation of the most powerful wizard ever and the first book is entirely about him awakening to his powers and his destiny
>lol magic isn't important in WoT
Yeah sure mister cool guy who understands TV.

Per Darrell K. Sweet, trollocs are men in animal helmets

True, but Mat's into that shit. He gets into a similar (albeit less sexually aggressive) situation with Tuon. Nigga likes his women on top.

But that's one of the few examples in an otherwise pretty male dominated series. Hell the Asha'man take like half of the SJW Ajah as essentially sex slaves.

Hello Brandon. You should read the notes, they're still available at the College of Charleston.

Please go read them buddy.

You know another problem in this thing is going to be the actors, this is going to be a long project and even if they use total unknowns with no other career prospects I have a feeling Emilia Clarke syndrome will set in and some of them will start being jackasses and try to ruin the whole thing.

How disingenuous do you have to be to take this stance?

Those bitches had that coming though, they were a bunch of bitchy feminists who got off on wrecking men's lives for shits and giggles.

Maybe he read the notes and he's just too nice to tell us all it was just more Path of Daggers/Winter's Heart/Crossroads of Twilight caliber dogshit.

Sanderson gets a lot of shit, but considering how hard of a task he was given, I think he did about as good of a job as we could have hoped for.

Aren't you going to explain to me how magic doesn't matter in a series that spends a third of all its exposition talking about magic?

Red Ajah weren't all that bad. Yeah some of them hated men but others genuinely thought they were protecting the world from disaster by hunting men who could channel. Overall they were definitely not a pleasant bunch and the fact that their Ajah was the largest didn't speak well of Aes Sedai as a group.

He admitted that he stopped trying to read the notes two months in and just started making shit up and trying to pass it by factcheckers who used wikis instead of the notes to verify.

I don't want to take too extreme of a position on this, but Brandon Sanderson should be hanged.

Winter's Heart was the lowest point of the series for me, I almost didn't make it through that book.

Easy
>Mat goes to do his magic fox deal
>gets 30-40 anti-magic medallions instead of just 1
>he gives them to all the main cast members and side characters
>magic no longer relevant
Someone call D&D!

Best arc: Mat and Tuon's Great Escape

Worst arc: Faile kidnapped by the Shaido

And the worst part is they happened almost concurrently.

I'm kind of surprised they were as respected as they were, I'd think attitudes like the whitecloaks would have been more common, especially since it seems like by the time of the main series the Aes Sedai don't fight shadowspawn at all, they're just fucking up and acting haughty to world leaders.

Elyane arcs are the worst

That's not exactly what he said. But whatever.

I don't care if he reviewed them for 45 minutes and just got the broad strokes of how Jordan wanted things to end before going and pulling all the details out of his ass. I enjoyed the Sanderson books a hell of a lot more than a few of Jordan's when he was in full water-treading mode.

>Worst arc: Faile kidnapped by the Shaido

I almost quit the series at this point, that was the most boring and drawn-out arc I've ever suffered through. Only the hope of based Mat in the future kept me going.

I think mainly people were just wary of them. They are wizards after all, they got scary powers. Most people either don't know or believe the oath about not harming people. What I saw was mostly people groveling before their power and wanting to avoid attracting their anger. Only in a few instances, like in the Borderlands, did you have them getting real respect. Political leaders are a different story, since they have lots of dealings with the White Tower they are more used to Aes Sedai and see them as people. Very powerful people, but still people.

>It's a Gawyn acts like a complete fucking retard, screws up everything he touches and gets dozens of people killed for absolutely no purpose episode

Seriously fuck Gawyn. The series would be better off if he was omitted completely.

I mean really, it did not need to last 2 fucking books or however long it was. It felt like an eternity. When that problem happened I thought it would be over in a chapter, two or three chapters tops. Mat carried the last few books Jordan wrote on his back.

He's the man that Egwene deserved.

He was Homer Simpson except pretty. Nobody deserves that.

Oh god Elayne. Why was Mat the only one who had her number from the get go? Like the instant he met her he had her figured out as a stuck up cunt and knew she was trouble. At the time I thought he was being unreasonable but the books only proved him right.

Here's exactly what he said.

>Question: Has it gotten any easier to dig through RJ’s very personalized and, in some ways, maddeningly genius organizational system?

>Brandon Sanderson: You’d actually have to ask that of Maria and Alan since they are the ones who dig through it. I gave up on that after about two months into the first book because I couldn't make heads or tails of it; I just started asking questions of them.

theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=894

>I was working on Towers of Midnight, and I sent an email to Maria saying, "I can't keep track of who is with Perrin. Do you have just a list somewhere?"... Maria comes back and says, "Well I just dug this out of the notes; I hadn't seen it before. Maybe this will help. It's a file called 'With Perrin'". I went, "Oh, good." And I opened it up...no, that's not what it is; it is the names of all the Two Rivers folk who haven't been named in the books yet. [laughter] ...who are traveling with Perrin, and often a little bit about each of them, and a list of several dozen names of people who haven't been named yet. That's the level of detail we're talking about with this, and it was a challenge; it was a challenge on all of us.

>Fortunately, we did have Maria and Alan ... and I would focus my writing, particularly in first draft, on just getting the emotional content of a scene down, right? Get the narrative flow down, make sure it's working, and I would try to get all the voices of the characters right, but I wouldn't worry as much about continuity. I would then send it to Maria, and she would send back this thing with all of these notes saying, "Oh Brandon. Oh Brandon, you can't do this." "Oh Brandon, you killed her." "Oh Brandon..." ... And then we would try and fix all of the problems caused by that, and that's kind of how it went.

theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7749

Eh maybe, I'm just surprised that Artur Hawkwing was the only ruler who ever fucked with them. I would think that someone would have trained their own power-using force at some point too, the Seanchan managed to kick a lot of ass by combining conventional warfare with magic, so did the Sharans. It seems like the Aes Sedai really held back progress in their corner of the world.

Anyways how do we make The Dark One not just another dark lord? I have a feeling there's going to be some serious temptation on behalf of TV writers to make him into Sauron-Lite

>I'm just surprised that Artur Hawkwing was the only ruler who ever fucked with them
And he only did that because he had Ishamael corrupting him over a period of several years, Grima Wormtongue style. That was what he did with his time on earth during the second thousand year cycle. The first was founding the black Ajah and causing the Trolloc Wars.

The Dark One as conceived of by the various characters in the story isn't really much different than Sauron. Rand himself personified him as a foe he could somehow fight in combat and kill pretty much up until the end of the series. And I'm not even 100% that Sanderson's version of him is how Jordan envisioned it. Part of me wants to believe there's no way he could fuck that up, but you read stuff like and it seems like he could barely follow what Jordan was trying to do with the story.

Keep in mind, in this series, most Kingdoms don't even control their own borders, the population density is so low that there are vast swathes of land, thousands of square kilometers of fertile land claimed by a kingdom on a map, but effectively abandoned with no people living there. When Rand crossed the Dragonwall with 240,000 Aiel, he had an army big enough to challenge *all* the kingdoms combined, and very likely win (if with severe losses)

Nobody can challenge the Tower because most monarchs simply do not have a big enough army to wage a campaign or even siege Tar Valon alone.

There's also the factor that the White Tower has its hands in the internal politics of literally every nation. If a monarch tried rallying against the Tower there'd probably be a coup with a rival house sitting on the throne inside a week.

I'm probably one of the very few who would want to see it done as a high quality animated series so budget constraints of cast, sets, and battles are not as big of a problem. I'm just certain a live action TV series would disappoint and last one season.

You're not. I've been of this opinion for many years. I want an OVA anime series that's hundreds of episodes, Legend of the Galactic Heroes style

I would too, but Americans considers animation as childish

Pretty much this.
Fantasy genre book hinge upon the readers ability to create vast amazing landscapes and monsters and magic.

There is no way to try and capture the awe inspiring acts that take place in the book without a massive budget.

GOT gets away with it because GRRM doesnt even like magic and has next to none fantasy elements in his books.

I would much rather a movie series of the books be done LOTR style, then there is a chance it will do it justice.

TV will spend enough

...you didnt imagine the characters as animated whilst reading the books, why in the hell would you want it animated?

I've had this thought too, but with Game of Thrones being as big as it is we might as well go for broke and just gut some of the filler of the middle few books.

Also they should have gone to some of these other places in the books.

you didn't imagine the characters looking like the actors that will go on to play them either retard.

Apparently RJ wanted to do a sequel about Mat retaking Seandar after the series finished, but that obviously never came to fruition.

I didn't imagine them as actors in costumes walking in fake sets either. I could easily transfer my imagination to an animated version of the story, it wouldn't be that hard.

Which actor did you picture as rand?

>that part where Tuon realizes Mat is a warrior god
Hands down the best feeling in the story.

Good thing he spent all that time having Faile getting kidnapped and Egwene sitting outside of the White Tower... seriously Egwene had all kinds of people around advising her but nobody ever told her what she really need to hear, "shit or get off the pot."

At least Egwene's arc ended with over 200 Aes Sedai being hung.

>it's a Rand performs CPR on Mat episode

>It's a everybody realises Noal is Jain Farstrider except Mat episode.

Faces are not a big deal... could any of you sketch a detailed portrait of how you imagined characters in the books to look?
I dont think so.

Would you guys have wanted LOTR to have been animated?
Surely you see how much potential would have been wasted...

GOT shows that it is possible, if done right we can get the tv show the book deserves

Also the faces you see for characters in books are similar to faces you have seen in real life.
Same goes for any face you see in your dreams.

Hanged.

And yeah, but that was thanks to based Verin who handed Egwene everything on a silver platter and had to die for it.

It's not funny anymore

>Both Egwene and Gawyn dies in the end
Its really a was a wonderful feeling

>it's a Whitecloak assumes anyone different is a Darkfriend episode

>Would you guys have wanted LOTR to have been animated?
... it was. The Hobbit as well. How young are you exactly that you never watched the animated LotR movies?

>It's a Caemlyn falls to the shadow because Mat didn't read a letter for six books episode.

To be fair, Verin REALLY should have seen that coming.

I just hope the trollocs don't look to fake.

23, actually remember seeing the hobbit now.
Anyways this is even better, what is better, the animated or the real fuckign deal LOTR?

We all know the answer.

The animated Hobbit is vastly better than the Hollywood version.

The animated versions were great for their time. Peter Jackson did a great job with the LotR trilogy, if something of that level could be done for Wheel of Time I'd be ecstatic but I seriously doubt it's possible given how much longer WoT is. Even if you cut out as much filler and fluff as possible we're talking at least 5 movies at a minimum.

>in the letter Verin was so smug that Mat would read the letter immediately
Man how embarrassing. Good thing she wasn't alive to live that down.

>Peter Jackson did a great job with the LotR trilogy
Except that he made Gimli into comic relief and transformed pipeweed (nicotiana) into cannabis strictly for lulz. Actually he ruined LotR. Christopher Tolkien was right. He turned a serious work into an action film for teenagers.

>tfw reading whitecloak POW chapters
Probably some of my favourites, that Pedron Niall guy was even like able

Yea, exactly though, think about it, it has been 15 years since LOTR, and the hobbit has flopped.

Next up is wheel of time, it could be on going for 12 years easy.
It could be beautiful
meh, in all honesty LOTR was serious for it's time but really PG with age.
GRRM work is serious, as are many other authors that create visceral worlds and hold no punches.

IT wasn't perfect but if WOT could be captured the way LOTR was captured it would be a godsend

Elyane is the dumb bitch ever. Rand handed her the crown but the dumb bitch refused it to win it herself. She's responsible for the death of thousands and weaken her country for her stupid ego.