Getting 'upgraded' every other episode by the Asgard

>getting 'upgraded' every other episode by the Asgard
>upgraded Asgard Hyperdrive
>upgraded Asgard weapons
>upgraded Asgard shields
>can't do any damage to any other ships
>gets taken out in a single hit from literally everybody
>hyperdrive and sublight engines get knocked offline on the first hit

Why is our fucking ship such utter garbage?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RfJgT89hEME
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

scifi cut stargate's budget

American made.

Yeah it's pretty shit honestly,

By the time the Ori showed up through the supergate it wasn't too shabby, managed to hold off their superbeams with the Asgard shields (Even though everything except the Ori ships got dicked hard)

Also there was a Russian version too, not just 'murican

The shields were hand me downs.They also didn't install weapons until the Asgard decided to kill themselves. Then the Asgard beam weapons were too OP so they had to upgrade the jobber ships.

Every single 304 was manufactured in America, they were leased to Russia and China.

Because it still had human generators. Literally the biggest flaw in the ships.

Asgard ships had reactors that output a thousand times what a nahquadia generator could, Probably the closest thing to a ZPM in terms of output without using a pocket dimension.

Asgard ships powered by their reactors crossed galaxies in less than 20 minutes.

>save their grey little butts 8 times
>can't even give us some generators

the fucking Asgard are useless

they gave us everything in the end, well part of their species did, the other part hated us, the ones still living.

They gave us their entire knowledge base just like the ancient database. Most of it was still out of our reach but a lot closer in terms of application than majority of ancient tech or theory.

As far as i know, there are fundamental limits to what the humans could replicate, even the shields and hyperdrives while based on asgard designs, could be their 1.0 versions or simplified to be compatible with human manufacturing capacities.

Well it wouldn't have taken long to incorporate ancient and asgard design ideas, the show was limited to small amounts of time.

That post stargate atlantis idea where humanity has taken over for the older races and charting our rise to empire was going to be shown in various ways.

It was a prototype
It was a hodge podge of reversed engineered tech crammed into a ship built with a "lets see if this works" way of engineering
Nothing was tailor made for it.
It's essentially a frankenstien of technologies that honestly shouldn't have worked at all.

The later model ships were far superior because they finally figured out what the fuck they were doing.

The Prometheus sucked, it had the most unoriginal name ever. Only the laziest fucking writer would decide "hey, this thing I wrote is mankind's first (whatever the fuck it is). I know, I'll call it Prometheus!"

Also, it looks like Optimus Prime's favorite dildo.

They explicitly say that it was because all those upgrades were tacked on after the fact. The 304s were so much better because they were designed with Asgard technology in mind.

Besides, the Prometheus was the first capital ship ever built by the Tauri. It's a miracle they made it even that well.

Seriously think about it: how FUCKING STUPID would it have been if the first capital ship Earth made was better than a Ha'tak? Our 302s are already basically better than gliders tactically.

I just wish the flatbed design wasn't their mainstay, it is such a bad design.

No the name was good because they had a character make fun of it! Don't you see?

You see, if you have something stupid in your show, you just have a character point out how stupid it is! It's genius!

Flat bed?

And what is that in the background? Is that the mandala from Battlestar Galactica? It's like poetry!

The second ship design

Most OP weapon coming through. It was so sexy warding these things work

People don't even realize that in a lot of hard science universes this is actually pinnacle of what they think human weapons will be, a highly movable torp. Since it can package energy and be moved into position to deal the most damage without needing a vacuum.

They should've outfitted tau'ri ships with them or at least a knock off version

>Human tech
>Goa'uld tech
>Ancient tech
>Asgard tech
>Wraith tech
How big of a beast do you think a hypothetical 305 would be?

At least it was more original than a laser or missile. Glad that at least one alien race had a unique weapon.

I assume the flattop with that tower was meant to make it look like an aircraft carrier, since it was a Deep Space Carrier. Not the most interesting design ever, but I liked it just fine.

Probably strong enough to fight Ori ships

My problem is beings with that kind of tech wouldn't think the way the ORI do, it just never made sense.

Function follows form. That is the way universe operates and when we figure out how it works, the math repeats itself every time.

You see a lot of variation when there is room to interpret but once you get close to the ascended point..it just doesn't make any sense. Evil ancients was a terrible idea.

It'd be a true battlecarrier for sure.

You know stargate did have a problem with upgrading bad guys, but at least they had a ceiling with Ancient technology. But the Asgard and Wraith seemed to have technology approaching the Ancients, possibly even surpassing it in a few areas. So a 305 would be topped only by Atlantis herself.

Honestly, I could never really understand how the Wraith could ever be real threat to the Ancients. Yeah, they had numbers, but Ancient technology was so advanced that they accidently created half of the unstoppable horrors in the universe as byproducts of experiments.

True; the Ori behaved too much like a scarier version of the Ghoauld. They felt nothing like the ancients.

I guess you could argue that it was because the Ori had to work via humans, but still.

They should have not made them mustache twirling zealots and made them just have a different confessional point of view to the ancients they knew.

Paint them less as outright bad guys and more like an alternative to what they've always known, split the various parties down the middle. That is how you make them scary by making them credible as an idea set.

Wraith technology would've been mostly based on ancient technology

Would've loved to see that

Chinese versus the Americans in Korea. Or Russians against the Germans.

You rush a mob at an enemy and you're going to mow down armies but if they have enough people, eventually through gathering other weapons and build up, they will simply out mass a superior enemy.

Exactly. For a while, I thought they were going to go that route but nope. They're just more bad guys.

The level of difference in technology in those conflicts wasn't even comparable to the gap between the ancients, who built the fucking stargates, went to other dimensions, dabbled in time travel, etc.

Besides, in Korea, it was about controlling some Asian country. China was never a threat to American existance. And America had other, bigger enemies to worry about so it couldn't pour it's while strength in. The ancients didn't. And even then, it was a stalemate rather than one side folding.

Even in WWII, Russia couldn't have one if the Eastern Front was the only one and they weren't being resupplied by the allies.

Now the replicators, on the other hand, seem much more formidable.

I hated human form replicators, an enemy who you can't speak to or reason with, who will just keep attacking and never retreat regardless of what you do is far scarier than just some more generic bad guys, it's what was so good about the original borg

>flying caldari
>ever

I see your point but Stargate made a point of saying the Wraith developed technology that Ancients never figured out they had like the massive cloning facility.

They stole ZPM's, they stole or developed technology based on their own highly advanced biology.

Those two factors allowed them to be viewed as a threat because the ancients were unaware of the threat they faced before they started to do something and even in the first episode, by time they started working on the problem. They had already lost a third of pegasus.

That is a lot of potential food for clones, a third of an entire galaxy and by that point the wraith would have had shipyards, cloning facilities and reverse engineered tech along with that, the disease they fled from wasn't done killing them yet.

That was one of the main things people forget but a disease that they couldn't cure was killing them, which is why they were ascending to escape it.

I had forgotten about the disease, which is basically like having to fight a whole other front. I guess it just seemed like the Tauri did too well against the Wraith for the Wraith to be a threat to the ancients.
I agree. The original replicators (well, technically not original but you get it) were cooler and scarier.

Hey, has anyone else notice how similar Halo is to Stargate?

UNSC = Tauri
Forerunners = Ancients
Flood = replicators
Covenant = Ghoauld

And they even have an important, title-related ring by the ancient civilization

Tauri are shown to be more creative than the first generation. The ancients were curious but they made of point of showing the distinction that our ingenuity was our strong point. Do more with less sort of deal and we had none of the drawbacks the ancients had.

The wraith could find us. We used technology in ways they hadn't seen in over 10k years.

Same problem we have with insurgents. Hard to bomb someone if you can't find them.

We turned other powers against the wraith, caused a civil war, found weaknesses.

The ancient replicators beat the shit out of them

The civil war made them territorial and reduced their numbers along with the fact their plan of waiting for food supply went to shit causing a massive problem.

The entire game board was much more different. We also got a lot of help too. I mean the ancients aren't supposed to help and yet we're their children so of course they broke their own rules and still helped them. They had ancients hiding amongst them, they had ancients wanting Shep's dick kirk style.

Could - Couldn't find us.*

You're forgetting one thing, technically the Promeathans would be our ancients, not the Forerunners. The Forerunners are more like the Ori

Fuck Tau'ri ship.
Tau'ri should only use the stargate goddammit.

Hello Amenhotep

so i heard you guys like stargate ja?

Shouldn't this asshole be blowing up more cities and less taking over franchises that he hated anyway?

why not both?
youtube.com/watch?v=RfJgT89hEME

Who would win between peak Goa'uld and peak Wraith?

Wraith were fucking terrible villains tbqh

Wraith and it wouldn't even be close.

Goauld's are parasites and scavenged or stole tech from developing races. They couldn't even fight a dying asgard race.

Their strongest member was Anubis and he got bitch slapped by left over ancient tech.

Wraith use ancient tech as their baseline.

Would you have liked to see a Wraith face turn?

Amarr victor, brother.

/asp/

Goa'uld were the GOAT heel faction

To be fair, having humans, ancient advanced precursor aliens, a mindless swarm-style alien and more advanced than humans hostile aliens isn't really uncommon in science fiction.

Question: why was SGU so shit compared to SG1, Atlantis, and even all the movies?

This. Escalating Threat is a cornerstone of military sci-fi.

i liked SGU, it was just off-putting to a lot of fans because it was tonally so drastically different. i appreciated that they tried to try something new after 15 years of the same formula

I liked SGU, but I agree it wasn't nowhere as good as SG1 or SGA.

I think it was the cast. I was never fond of any of the characters (Rodney and Daniel were much better science guys, Shepard and O'niel were much better military guys, Tealc and Ronon SO much better tough guys)

I loved the setting of Destiny, but I felt they didn't explore it enough. In SGA every other episode was just about weird shit they found in Atlantis, but in SGU they keep leaving the Destiny to go back and have muh relationshups on Earth. The Earth episodes of SGA were with a few exceptions always the weakest part of SGA.

Then the episodes were kind of samey, at least the first season. It was all just "Oh shit we need this or else we're dead.", and after the third or fourth time it kind of lost it's charm.

I wouldn't mind them making more of SGU, but hopefully if they did (Plot twist, they won't) they'd make it more like SGA.

>I was never fond of any of the characters
Derp. Forgot to write the rest of that sentence. Also dat grammar

I never found any of the characters in SGU that interesting compared to the other shows. Rush was probably my favourite, but even he had some weird moments that Rodney or Daniel didn't most of the time.

But it's literally Stargate: Voyager. Utter shit f.a.m.
>hmm, you know what would be a good premise for a series? Let's copy literally one of the worst series from another sci-fi thing
I mean thank God they didn't have a DS9 equivalent but still...
>inb4 Atlantis
Fuck off

Because of these shits :
Communication stones system
Eli
Lucian alliance

>Communication stones system
>Eli
>Lucian alliance
Pretty much this. They used the stones way too often (Or at least had them in shot/plot devices too foten) and the Lucian Alliance were a shitty antagonist.

Eli wasn't that bad, but certainly wasn't the strong point of the show.

Wraith desu

Though, out of all the races encountered in the Stargate franchise, I think the replicators were probably the biggest threat

Even with the Ancients at the height of their power, I don't know if they could've deterred the threat of a Replicator army

Think you've hit it spot on there

SGU was great in it's own way, but the casting was flawed. I felt Young and Rush were perfect, maybe needing a little more development, but all the other characters weren't that memorable

the VOY premise was great but was totally squandered so i'd say it's totally legitimate if another show gives it another try. and i think SGU did a way better job, because they actually had to struggle to survive and keep the factions on board functioning together, and were constantly short on resources. all the things that VOY should have done but didn't have the balls to do

They even made fun of their reliance on "hanging a lantern" on things. The show did tend to get a little too meta.

>Tretonin is revealed as a incredibly powerful medicine that cures literally every disease and ailment, while also extending life by a century
>it's orginally in incredibly short supply but the Tok'ra apparently synthesized infinite amounts of it at some point
>it gets handed out to every other group of Jaffa SG-1 comes across to replace their symbiotes, so supply is no issue
>but it's never used on humans for its other benefits
Did the writers forget what it originally did or something? That could've saved a lot of characters from dying.
It can't be some crap like "the synthesized version doesn't do that now", the very nature of the drug implies it does. It replaces the immune system.

Those hack frauds

it's the sarcophagus all over again. they had plenty of opportunities to get a sarcophagus, study it, reverse-engineer the technology, perhaps get rid of the side effects. shit, hathor handed one to them on their fucking base

but uh no, you see, if you use this machine that can cure EVERYTHING and bring back the DEAD a hundred fucking times in a row, then you become addicted, so better just blow it up lol

the zats were stupid too so they just silently dropped the whole shoot three times thing entirely and wished they had never introduced it

It only works on jaffar because they have fucked up biology from being hosts. A human would have to host a larval goold for a few months/years first wouldn't they?

jaffa isn't the same as being a host

Well, the drug was only being used on humans on the planet they discovered that was using it, that wouldn't make terribly much sense honestly
With that logic it's odd that it even works on Jaffa

I think that's gotta be worse though

Once you take tretonin, you can't stop taking tretonin.
This weakness is killing the Jaffa deprice of goauld.

I thought about that, giving it to everyone on Earth would be shitty, but there's no reason it shouldn't be used on a guy that's going to die otherwise is what I mean

I meant the baby ones they carry in their stomach, not the adult ones.

>planet that was using it
I'd actually forgotten about that detail.

Maybe because then you'd have an army of people addicted to this shit who would cause a major security risk?

>army
m8 I said use it on people who are dying so they don't die. There's zero reasons they couldn't have done that
>security risk
Look at Teal'c, he's been using it for like 55 years now (with those 50 years he spent in the last episode), he's fine.

>m8 I said use it on people who are dying so they don't die. There's zero reasons they couldn't have done that
They'd end up using it in cases where they should have pushed for something else or let the man die. It would also create dependency and ruin away mission's autonomy.
>Look at Teal'c, he's been using it for like 55 years now (with those 50 years he spent in the last episode), he's fine.
Yeah, one guy who happened to be a main character. Do you really think having a bunch of drug addicted guys hanging around, many of whom don't have the same experience nor physiology as Teal'c is a good idea? They have something that someone could hold over them. Imagine only being able to eat one kind of food that only your chain of command can make and offer, right? Well that's another shitty thing to throw into high stress scenarios.

>Communication stones system
>It's a the-crew-talks-to-their-families episode
>We're farther away from Earth than any other show has ever gone but it's like we never actually left
I don't give a shit about their families, show me the magic spinny circle.

>they like to get the landmarks
2meta4me