Ask a chef anything about cooking or food

Ask a chef anything about cooking or food

Other urls found in this thread:

molecularrecipes.com/hydrocolloid-guide/lecithin/
medicaldaily.com/pulse/meat-made-vegetables-called-super-meat-not-only-healthier-it-may-also-trick-diehard-364666
seriouseats.com/2012/11/the-food-lab-the-truth-about-brining-turkey-thanksgiving.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What the fuck kinda soup is that? I aint eating that shit

whats key to making a good broth? While i cook a lot and have dabbled with a lot of different cuisines I can never seem to get soups right.

gumbo maybe?

fuck off kid

Where's chef?

natural ingredients and time
vegetable, beef, chicken...whatever
ingredient in ie chicken car carcass
bring to a boil and simmer for a few hours
stain, and there you go...always salt and pepper
in as it simmers to taste...good question

not that complex but similar

what?

appreciate it!

Also! Whats your go to recipe for a solid alfredo sauce or just plain simple white sauce?

when i cook bone in pork chops is it ok if its still slightly pink where the meat connects to the bone?

I'm convinced the grocery store adds red dye to make it look better so i also ignore it if the bulk of the meat is cooked thoroughly.

Why are you not on /ck/?

Is pan frying chicken breasts the best way to cook meat for an Indian Curry? If so, is it wise to fry it with the spices in the oil first or should the spices be thrown in with the onions / other vegetables instead?

Bad response didn't mention aromatic vegetables

Why does my low carb diet make my shits a clay consistency?

this is a huge secret....all your guests will say
wow....that was amazing....whether alfredo or even chilli...now don't over power just a pinch of fresh ground cinnamon....in a chill sauce, toss in a stick, whole but take it out after simmering for a few hours....its the secret grail

buy from a butcher...support the little guy and you will get the freshest most delicious pork, beef lamb, fish...

cause fuck you...how is that you little pee wacker!!!!

Not OP, but usually oil + spices first, then onions and (marinated) meat. There are so many different recipes though, so it's hard to generalize.

Curry is usually pretty rich in oil and cream, so lighter versions will always lack in flavor.

Checked

you have to bake whole chicken breasts but if copped you can stir fry them, don't throw your spice in, because you will burn them. if you throw in salt, it takes the moisture out and you don't want that because chicken breast is not that moist. use chicken thighs. Way better.

heard about this before, never tried it though. Will definitely give it ago next time. Appreciate user.

You answered your own question.

how do you cook food?

I've always wanted to cook but I find the task simply too hard or overwhelming
What are (maybe 10) easy and delicious dishes that I should start learning with?

What dish has the best taste to complexity ratio?

drink moar water, eat more pussy

Op here...totally wrong faggot...oil and spices burn the spices beyond control....ad near the end

u r welcome user

with heat and knowledge

always organic meat

As a uni student, what tips do you have for fast, good, healthy meals that don't involve too many dishes?

On another note, what's a good dish to mass cook and eat throughout the week?

Also how the fuck do you cook chicken breast so its not dry and bland?

How do you make scrambled eggs

a little sauce never hurts

What is your opinion of haute cuisine?

What's a good hydrocolloid for making sugar-free ice cream with the right texture?

Your temp's off the charts if you _burn_ the fucking spices with the oil. You're only supposed to slightly fry it (often a cinnamon stick, some cardamom, black peppers etc.) all up to create a base for the sauce.

And like I said, not all recipes work this way.

avacodos

How do i make the perfect burger? When should the spices come into play? I feel like I'm always charring mine.

Is there anything better than a well done steak?

Great question...because you can spend hours upon hours trying to make a great meal taste awesome...and sometimes a lot of cash $$$
the best dish i have posted a pic...scrambled eggs with smoked salmon (you could put cod or clams or any leftover seafood, a solid bread like pumpernickel and some leftover salad for a Sunday brunch...doesn't taste any better than that, and very economical

>bring to a boil and simmer for a few hours

Bring to a slight sub-boil. Around 180 - 200 F. If you boil stock, it will get cloudy because you'll be emulsifying all the fat into small droplets that scatter light.

Is it possible to cook pussy juice?

ask a better chef anything

What is the best way to prepare human flesh?

totally over rated for people that have too much money to spend and are bored. Great question.

>avacodos

OK. So you're not a chef, or at least a shitty one. The texture of ice cream is from the structure of the ice crystals, which form differently because of all the sugar dissolved. Avocado won't do shit for doing the same thing.

Ice cream isn't a smoothie, dipshit.

BTABRTAS. Jesus.

And I'll add that you've usually got to marinate the meat beforehand with a serious amount of spices, youghurt etc.: you don't just add all the spices in the beginning with the oil, lol.

Op here, what spices?

everything

Chicken breasts suck, but if you must:

Hot oil, brown the chicken in small batches, and fish it out and put it to one side.
Keep the chicken-oil, and add the whole spices; it should take less than a minute for them to start snapping which means they're good-to-go, but not burnt.
Then add your onions: this'll bring the temperature back down and stop your spices burning
After that, ginger, garlic
After that, your other crap, including the browned chicken.

It taste best fresh from the source.

raw meat not recommended unless it is fresh

BTAB is plenty common, but you get better stock if you don't bring it to a boil first.

10 are too many ...maybe tell me 2 you want to learn

Just make your ice cream base with egg yolks and cream. You shouldn't need any sugar, and it's technically a frozen custard not ice cream at that point. I think.

this faggot has no idea don't listen to him

Eggs alone don't provide enough change in freezing point for the small crystals to form.

and you are not a scientist

Of course you can make avocado-flavored ice cream, idiot. It's the sugar-free part that I'm asking about. The avocado ice creams (actually, gelato) I've seen have standard amounts of sugar.

Look, if you don't know a hydrocolloid, just admit ignorance and move on. But you're looking more and more like a poseur that's looking for an ego boost by posing as an expert on Sup Forums.

These aren't quick or recipes, but they are pretty easy and all critical to pushing yourself into making real food.
1) All 6 mother sauces
2) Grilling
3) Sautéing
4) Roasting

You can make virtually anything if you can do these 4 things, from Mac n cheese to boeuf bourguignon

in your basement

Tell that to my bourbon bacon cinnamon ice cream. Excuse me. Frozen custard.

how do I clean olive oil off of my stove? it's fucking everywhere

Back in my pastry days spinning gallons of ice cream after service we'd use a touch of vodka to get a nice texture on the ice creams.
I really don't miss being on the line until 1 am and then having to spin ice cream for 2 hours. Catering lunch to tech nerds is where it's at in the Bay right now.

>But you're looking more and more like a poseur that's looking for an ego boost by posing as an expert on Sup Forums.

and so are you

What's the most complex recipe you know (in terms of complexity)?

Im not op so you are getting mad for no reason. Avacados can replace eggs in ice cream

molecularrecipes.com/hydrocolloid-guide/lecithin/

We did the same thing in the last restaurant I worked in. It's amazing how well it works.

What's best to you and in what order? Chicken, Beef, Lamb and Pork.

have you ever made an egg?

OK. Alcohol is an interesting lead. Alcohol certainly does affect the freezing point of water.

You should make mac and cheese, because everyone loves mac and cheese, and it's a simple recipe that develops your skills. Principally your ability to season.

You'll need two pans, and a whisk.

Whack a big pan of water on for the mac, don't salt it.
In the other pan:

- medium heat
- stick in half a stick of salted butter, and move it about until it melts
- shake in some flour, stir with the whisk, and keep adding more and whisking until it looks like a nice toffee sauce, like you'd pour over a brownie or something
- keep whisking and start tasting it. When it stops tasting like salty flour and starts tasting like a digestive biscuit, that means it's good to go.
- get two pints of milk, and slowly add it while whisking. If there's any lumps, whisk more before you add more
- if you're feeling daring, you can whack the heat up. It won't burn so long as you're stirring, and it'll cook quicker
- keep stirring. It'll eventually seize into a thick white sauce; that's a white sauce.

To make it into a cheese sauce, you need to season it. Traditionally, you'd use some cayenne, some nutmeg, some mustard, salt, pepper, and (obviously) cheese. Add the cheese gradually, until it won't eat any more. Then gently add the other ingredients, whisking and tasting. I'd guess a half-teaspoon of nutmeg and teaspoon of each of the rest, but I've never measured, because I make it by taste (and so should you).

Cook pasta per directions, drain it good, mix with the sauce that will stay warm just fine off the heat, and serve with crispy bacon on top.

Op here
Fish which you left out
Sea food which you left out
Chicken
Beef
Pork
Lamb (way over rated)

Have you seen "Chef" by Jon Favreau?

Of course not, you're supposed to order off the children's menu, I hear the fries and chicken nuggets are tasty, little user.

Checked

The Hamburger Seasoning:
4 Tablespoons salt
2 Tablespoons Accent (msg)
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon onion powder

What do you think about the new 'meat' that has been artificially created from vegetable matter but it's chemically identical to meat but requires about 1/5 of the energy and water to produce?

>he thinks bhoona is not how to make curry
>he's literally saying that the way you make curry is not how you make curry

What advice would you give to someone who is really good with red meats and fish but fucks up poultry every single time? If it's not undercooked, it's dry. If it's neither of those, it just has lousy flavor.

Rare, blue, black and blue, a point, or medium rare?

soak chicken in vat of salt water over night

>fucks up poultry every single time

Cook duck instead of chicken. Way tastier.

[citation needed]

Shit and vomit are "chemically-identical" to meat. They're both made from Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen and Nitrogen, with a smattering of Iron.

I've never heard of doing that but I can imagine how it works. Might give that a stab.

depends on the nutrition of the substance. If it was healthy to eat then I would gobble that shit up

Stop using breasts, start using thighs.

Meat flavour is concentrated around bones; breasts have no bones.

Chickens and turkeys are especially bland; don't use their breasts for anything you're not flavouring yourself.

it called brining, usually done with turkeys on thanksgiving by grannymas everywhere.

whats the secret to a good beef goulash

medicaldaily.com/pulse/meat-made-vegetables-called-super-meat-not-only-healthier-it-may-also-trick-diehard-364666

Surely you mean Burning Man?

why is hollandaise not more common? Chicken and hollandaise is fucking awesome and nobody gets it.

Guess that's why my grandma's turkey is dry too. She must not do it. She's a fuckin' master with everything else on the table but that turkey needs gravy or your jaw muscles will rival an alligator's.

Thanks for the tips brah.

seriouseats.com/2012/11/the-food-lab-the-truth-about-brining-turkey-thanksgiving.html

>medicaldaily.com/pulse/meat-made-vegetables-called-super-meat-not-only-healthier-it-may-also-trick-diehard-364666

No claim there that it's "chemically identical". In fact it seems deceptive.
>It’s lipids, amino acids, carbohydrates, minerals, and water
There's almost no carbohydrate in meat.

Call me skeptical.

Im a chef at Wendys. Dont need any tips. Fuck off, my cusine is off the hook.

answer my question you fuck have you made an egg?

Cioppino? Man I love that shit.

Why the fuck does every US restaurant now want to say they serve "tapas" when I still have yet to see an actual tapas place anywhere.