Can someone please explain this to me

Can someone please explain this to me.

I am using the VPN provided by Getflix, and it's supposed to encrypt and hide my ISP. I've set it so that my IP address is for the region of Los Angeles in the US.

But when I type in "ip address" on Google, it gives me my public IP address and it traces it back to my actual location.

Did I not set the VPN up correctly? The program and the website says that I have. The Getflix website says that I'm from the US, yet the IP address website says otherwise.

Other urls found in this thread:

getflix.com.au/setup/overview
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bump

If Google reports your real IP, then something is NOT right.

Keep fiddling around until you figure it out.

Thanks, I'll keep working on it.

It's what happens when you're still using google. .com.us
Try using google. .com.au and it'll change

Tried deleting cookies?

ipleak dot net
Will check if your browser is leaking your real ip, as many sites you visit will try to exploit, Note that for a very long time chrome did not protect against this, nor did the default setting of firefox. For some time this was fixable witht he use of extensions or browser addons, but has since been fixed for some platforms.
Secondly make sure your vpn is legit, I prefer PIA myself.

It still shows up as Google Australia, which I don't want it to, because that's where I live.

I'll try that.

I just tried it, and it gives me the IP address that I want it to, which is the Los Angeles US one.

That's weird though, how does the other website know where I am and my actual IP address, yet this one shows the IP address that I want it to?

If you're from aus try googledotcomdotjp I'm using pia and it changes my address. Sorry I thought you were from America

So ipleaks shows your VPN IP, yet Google for "ip address" shows your real IP?

Hmmm.

Whatever is going on, *something* isn't right, because Google should not be seeing your real IP.

Some browsers direct you to the Google of the country you were when you first installed the software, and to fix that some let you change that in the settings, other require that you alter installation files (googable). Still, it shouldn't show your real IP if the VPN is right. I think the only thing that might somehow do that are cookies. It wouldn't, normally, but Google has the weirdest-ass cookies, so I guess it could be that.

May have been some fine print bullshit op accepted.

No worries. I tried google.co.jp, and it showed up as the Japanese Google. When I type in just google.com, it takes me straight to the Australian one.

Yeah, it's weird. And as I said just above, when I type in just google.com, it takes me to the Australian version. I tried google.com.us, and it gives me an error. The Japanese one works though.

Thanks for the info. I'll try deleting the cookies, hopefully that does something.

This site 'should' show you the VPN's ip address, which should be the only one that can see, but it should also alert you if your real ip is detectable. It was a huge problem for a long time, which in turn made popular browsers like pale moon that where patched against such things.
Make sure you clear all search histories, perhaps using a tool like Ccleaner to remove all tracking cookies, use a good adblocker and the ghostery extensions.
Again, Ghostery addon/extension is great.
Make sure your not logged into chrome or anything silly like that.
On another note, Win10 has all sorts of location services that could be fucking you over, if your a win10 user, maybe research along those lines.

Also, check if there's not some other program that uses a Google account and that is still logged on, feeding your real IP to Google. Still, things that shouldn't happen under a VPN, but Google is Google.

I've deleted the cookies, and Google still shows up as the Australian version by default.

>it takes me straight to the Australian one.
This is certainly your browser configuration.

True, I think there might be a program that is doing that.

So would I have to change the settings for the browser?

Deleting cookies would be for Google to 'forget' your real IP, in case it's getting it. Going back to Google Australia is your browser's config. Firefox let's you change this by downloading a new file of the country you want (google how to change to that country), Opera needs to be fixed on the installation files. Other browsers I don't know.

Okay so something weird is going on.

I just tried some other IP Address tracking sites, and some of them show the VPN IP address, while others show my actual IP address.

How is this even possible? How can one detect one IP address, with one detects another?

Not sure.

But until every site show only your VPN IP, you're not out of the woods...

Since you're using getflix, are any of these ip's showing up as you check with whatever else you're using?

getflix.com.au/setup/overview

clear browsing history and flush dns: cmd "ipconfig /flushdns", try reconnecting

Possibly configured for only certain protocols/ports

Different sites have different types of connection. It's not supposed to happen, but since there's something in your system leaking your IP it is happening.
You have two different problems, and need to treat one at a time. First you need to stop Google from getting your location (change browser config., log out of any Google account that you may be connected in any program atm, and if on mobile block Google tracking devices).
Then you won't be going for Google Australia, but you may still experience the Ip leaking stuff. But only then you'll know if this is a problem as well, and not just Google having your ass, so then you can tackle this problem.

Nope. For the US one, the IP address is 38.68.26.141.

But for the Australian one, it's pretty long and has letters here and there.

I'll try this, thanks.

Thanks for the info.