Is it true when Europeans apply to college all they do is send the grades to a college and if they're high enough your...

Is it true when Europeans apply to college all they do is send the grades to a college and if they're high enough your automatically accepted?

you dont even have to have good grades, just not fail last year

Yes. You do a standardised test, get a certain amount of points based on your grades, and if you've surpassed the points requirement (which is based on demand) for your preferred course, you're golden.

wtf i had to do thousands of hours of extracurriculars get recommendation letters do curriculum vitae write a huge essay take standardized tests take college level coursework just to do admission

are you talking about private entities or state-owned ones?

is there a difference

That's quite silly. Although, I applied to Cambridge (didn't get in) and it counted towards my application that I can speak Irish, even though I was applying to study for a Bachelors in Maths. I think it's silly to value a mathematician or doctor more highly because he's bilingual or volunteered with the elderly or whatever.

To which university did you go?

I'm asking you dude, are/were you trying to get admitted to a private school or a public one?

that's how it works in australia, if you want to go to a specific uni you can also apply for your course and as a second choice some bullshit degree, if you didn't make the cut for your first choice they'll give you a place on your second choice then you just apply next year and get in easy

i didn't get accepted to the ones i wanted to go but it's a requirement anyway for us just to do it
i was accepted to the public state university purely on my sat

private i suppose

Same here

Yes, that is all. You don't even "send your grades", you apply online. There's website with a list of all universities with their faculties and pick the ten you like. Some will have some tests of their own, like the Philosophical Faculty makes you take an IQ test, Architecture makes you solve a general knowledge test and do some drawing, etc.

And there are no majors, you choose a course/facultry like civil engineering, medicine, history, etc. and follow whatever programme they have. You don't pick anything.

Also, we don't need to get a college degree in order to go to medical/law school, you go there directly after high school.

>croatian doctors just graduated high school

Yes, it depends on how much pupils apply for one study. As long as there are free seats it works like this. If it's more packed, they increase the entrance barrier and might add a small test.

no, it just means you can study for doctor right after finishing high school

now i feel like retard for repeating what he said, fuck you sharter

...and med school. High school and med school. Although med school here is 6 years, while Americans do 4 years of college and 4 years of med school, as far as I know.

Also, having a job while being a student at any serious university is impossible here. Americans always seem to work something on the side while studying.

This is what I did.

I applied to 12 colleges.

I did it through the common app, you upload your personal essay and it's a universal portal.

The process is completely random. Someone might be rejected from a public state school for having a 4.0 GPA because admissions officers at these schools think they are only applying as a safety school.

Someone with a 3.0 GPA might get into Cornell if he's extremely talented, gifted in some way while a 5.0 W GPA might get rejected for spelling mistakes.

I remember when I did a college visit at Johns Hopkins they told us they rejected someone solely on him calling johns Hopkins "John Hopkins"

At ivy league and top schools grades matter only 25%. Extra curriculars, recommendations and your essays will make or break you

I was denied from easy schools to get in like Quinnipiac and Pace while I was accepted to more selective schools like UCSD and Tulane.

Go figure

Depends, at least here.In some places yes, but in the most unis here its a combination of high school grades + exam from the uni.

No. In the Netherlands grades don't matter.

If you have to right degree you get let in.
If you have the wrong degree you don't get let in.

Hell no. That's too much work, your school sends it for you.

I just went to law school one day and said "Can I enroll" and they were like "sure"

What if one school is way easier than the other? Then the person that goes to the school where it is easier to get high schores will get an unfair advantage, am I wrong?

how would you get one without going

>Americans think you need to spend 100k on a political science or biology degree to study law or medicine, respectively

>they rejected someone solely on him calling johns Hopkins "John Hopkins"
I agree with you on most of what you said, but this is a pretty egregious mistake to make.

What are you saying? How do you apply to an undergraduate degree programme based on the results of your undergraduate degree?

Gymnasiet uses standardized tests for a few key subjects such as math.

Also life is unfair.

Not really. A degree from an easy college like university of Wyoming isn't worth as much as a degree from Duke or Chapel Hill

It's a fact, that people who graduate from better schools have more options than people who graduated same degree from lower tier schools.

Someone who graduated from Harvard business isn't going to be working middle management. Someone who graduated from Seton Hall (second rate Catholic school) might be a middle management slave

In secondary education you have 4 low levels of education, 1 normie level of education and 2 high levels of education. And each level of education has four packages of subjects. And what you studied in middle/high school decides which follow up education you can do.

Low level = 4 year education from 12 to 16 = work with your hands = after it you can do a follow up study for car mechanic, chef, nurse etc
Normie level = 5 year education from 12 to 17 = applied sciences = after it you can do a bachelor education in a university for applied sciences to become an engineer, manager, accountant, study IT, architect
High level = 6 year education from 12 to 18 = scientific study = after it you can do a master degree at a university in math, chemistry, biology, history, medicine, law etc

So, if you do normie level of education and you studied "economics and society" in high school then you only get let at a bachelor education at a university of applied sciences that matches your high school subjects. So you will do a bachelor education in business or commerce.
But you don't get let in at engineering studies because you had the wrong subjects. And you can't do a bachelor+master education at an university because your degree shows you aren't smart enough.

I'm talking about high schools and the european system, I'm familiar with how the american system works.

I guess, but wouldn't that encourage people to enroll in shitty schools to get their scores up? Maybe in sweden they don't have the school inequality we have here, but generally the best schools don't have high grade averages. Also, is the standardized test applied for every grade once a year? Here we just use one test for everything.

Ah OK.

Pls tell me about the Brazilian system :3

What's the Harvard of Brazil? What's the worst college there?

But the shitty schools are the ones where you get bad grades. That's what makes them shitty schools.

Our Uni is like that, but unintentionally. Supply and demand, y'know.

Basically yes. You have your grades from high school and then you have to do an exam on all the subjects you did in high school. You get a grade here and you do the average to obtain your final grade.

Every uni career has a cut note for admission, so if you're above the cut you can apply and you'll get in, unless there'sa demand above the offered places, in which case it's sorted by the ones with the best grades.

But normally if you reach the cut note you're in.

lmao my friend went to total garbage shit high school in Slovak village of 10 000 people where literally everyone passed and he got accepted into university of Amsterdam, he didnt got accepted into random uni in Slovakia though.

Its pretty fucking stupid system, but anyways if you are dumb you wont finish even first semester so i guess it works

In low level you also only get 6 subjects in high school. And you just get a crash course in them.
While in high level you might get 14 subjects in high school and study them thoroughly.

I wish applying to Uni. was that easy in the USA.

There's basically one test that happen once a year that you take after you finish high school (or whenever you want, really) and your grade on it alone will determine if you get into an university. In the past each university had their own test, but right now most unis just use one and you apply online. Every major in each university has x amount of spots, so the top x people that applied can get in (this gets a little complicated because of affirmative action).

The best university is generally considered to be USP, but it's hard to say it's Brazil's Harvard because a lot of other universities are on the same level(or better) for certain majors. Generally the big public universities are all considered good choices.

You do a National exam and if you have enough grade, you can apply to the best ones.

The "Harvard" is the USP, but now it's just a commie cesspool and according to my uncle the companies here are starting to ignore some of their graduated CV's depending on the area.

IMO the best one in the cunt is the ITA.

Isn't it? Don't you just mean a bunch of money?

Remember, we have to compete with every fucknut on the block to get a spot since anyone can be eligible for enrollment.

In Sweden you don't even need to have good grades ot get into university, because we have something called the "University Test" which is basically a 6 hour long exam in math, Swedish and English and if you score high enough on that exam you can completely bypass your high school grades.

For example I got 1.35/2.00 the first time I did the test and now I can get into any economy program in Sweden, which is lucky because I slept through high school

no

>compete with every fucknut
We used to have a law giving kids of wounded/dead war veterans the right to pick any university they want no matter how bad their grades are.

The positive side of our system is that everyone gets an education that matches their performance.
The downside of our system is that a 13 year old will basically be shoved a career path down his throat. You liked languages at 13? Well, then I've got some good news for you. You will become a teacher.

1.35/2.00 is pretty shit though. I think you need at least 1.7 to get the really good stuff, like medicine or law, which is preposterous consdering a quarter of the test is just "hurr we picked out a bunch of retarded words". Better rev up those cheat engines.

>After secondary school, you choose a high school based on your score on a standardized test. State schools were 95 percent better than private ones in my days
>You choose a 'specialization', a 'section' after two years in high school, those being ''Verbal'', ''Foreign Languages'', ''Mathematics-Science'' and ''Balanced(Mathematics and Turkish Language)''. Sounds stupid and imprecise I know, probably a shitty adaption of Gardner's multiple intelligences theory''
>After 4 years in high school, you'd take another standardized test, and after it you'd get a score that's a combination of your success on the test and your overall success in your high school curriculum. It's important to note that weight of the standardized test was quite heavy in my time, like 85% IIRC
>You apply online for the major, and its belonging university according to that score. ''math-science'' guys could choose medicine, engineering, high school teacher(chemistry, maths, physics; ''Balanced'' guys could choose Management, business, Law, Math teacher; ''Verbal'' guys go to Literature, History, Turkish Teaching etc
>Best universities are state ones, though there are only a few that can compete with European ones(Boğaziçi or MEDU), private ones apart from select few are beyond shit.

Well it was like this 10 years ago after I had graduated from HS. I have always found the system weak, uncompetitive, outdated and superficial.

American system purges the weak, forces student to be an active and social person as well as being inquisitive and questioning. Maybe it wouldn't have given a chance to a guy on the spectrum like me, but still I like its Darwinistic approach.

And you also have to look at it this way:
There are just 3 levels of schooling here in Croatia: elementary school (7-14 years), high school (those that take 3 years are shit and you get a "degree or certificate" for things such as hairdresser, car painter, photographer; the 4 year ones called gimnazija prepare you for the standardized tests that take place after gimnazija which are called matura).

The fucked up part is that the only way you can apply to highschools is by showing your grades from your last 2 grades from elementary school (when you're 12 and 13 years old) and that determines which highschool you go to in the end.

Some people itt are talking about going to shitter highschools so you can have better grades so you can have more points for when applying to university. Well I could have applied for any gimnazija cuz I had great grades, but I intentionally applied for the easiest one and didn't learn that much for the matura exams and overall got shit grades because I wasn't that motivated to study.

Aside from interpreter (lol) what else could they offer?

Some bachelor educations and some master educations don't require specific subjects. Only that your degree is high level enough.
For bachelor educations they can still study things like IT and city planning.
And for master educations they can still study things like history. But your choices get quite narrowed down.

I can see the positives and negative, but, on a personal level, I'd be a failed scientist now, instead of a trainee lawyer, if I had been forced to choose at 13.

For Ameripoors, we have to
1) Get the desired SAT/ACT (standardized tests) scores for the colleges we want to apply to.
2) Write a personal essay as well as a few other essays if the school requires it
3) Have at least two teacher recommendations
4) Show excellence in some extracurriculars
5) Have grades at a level the college wants
6) Be free of any criminal charges

it's not easy

Same. How's the job market in common law countries?

We have that too, though grades/SAT are interchangeable. Also it's free so we get far more applicants to fend off.

I think everyone does that. You get to choose a 'path' in high-school; pure sciences, mixed sciences, social sciences and humanities.

Depending on the path you took you get to do this or that career at uni or no. I.e if you chose humanities you can't go to any engineering, if you took pure sciences you can't go for medicine, and so on.

I gave up in highschool when my state Unis wanted more students FROM the state rather than from elsewhere or foreign because I was born across the country and lived here all my life but that's not good enough for them apparently.
Ah, well, I have a comfy job at a farm now. I don't need no education.

>Teacher recommendations
Like, would a teacher genuinely not do this for a highschooler, even if there was a chance that this could ruin this highschoolers dreams and life?

Also-there certainly are teachers that get bribed by parents/students to do this?

>Same. How's the job market in common law countries?
Apparently still putrid in the US, but reasonable here. I didn't want to go to a big firm, so it took me a bit longer, but I found one eventually. If you're able for the stress of a big firm, there are plenty of jobs.

This is necessary for high quality public universities.

Why would your criminal record matter?

Not a Job-Job, right? You've got someone who won't fuck you like a regular boss?

I've yet to graduate but I'll probably settle for something smaller too. Our taxes kill tryhards.

You usually get recommendations from teachers who know you well.

You wouldn't get recommendations from a teacher you have bad grades in.

Not every school requires recommendations. It depends on the school. Some state schools require it, at some state schools it's optional. At places like Harvard and Yale admissions will project the recommendations on the screen for the commitie to see

Shit, you caught me.
Other than the farm, I leech money off of my parents because I don't want to dip into my boyfriend's moneybags.

Almost 90% of colleges will throw out your application if you admit to being convicted of a crime.
They just don't want criminals at their schools.

Also I've never heard of people being bribed for a recommendation. That doesn't happen

I can't blame you, America's a whole other ballpark compared to what I'm used to. Better take what little you get.

i was the only one on both the courses i did to be automatically accepted