"music journalism"

noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/shut-your-dumb-stupid-mouth-about-the-beatles-being-overrated

Get out of here Scaruffi

I'm not going to give them clicks, but I can imagine the article well anyway. It's going to talk about strawmen Beatles haters who will be snobby assholess with no friends, try to argue against with them by repeating the same shit about their innovations any music fan knows, maybe take a few shots at other artists at the time like The Doors or The Velvet Underground so The Beatles look better, have some quotes from famous musicians inspired by the Beatles, then give a personal story about how the Beatles saved the writer's life or something so if you still think they're overrated you're a meany asshole.

pretty much yeah

>For Christ’s sake, the band has sold more albums and has had more number one hits than any band ever. They are the bestselling band in the history of fucking music.
THE FACT THAT

What a stupid dumb idiot!

>Beatles haters are snobby assholess with no friends
This is a true statement though

>it's a Sup Forums can't comprehend ironic shitposting outside of Sup Forums episode

huh cool

Well it's even worse than I thought if they're playing the "They're the bestselling band of all time!" card.

no one cares (or should care) about the following
>vice
>beatles
>beatles fans
>people who call things overrated

I hate how writing and criticism about music has moved to this personal blog post level of writing where everyone has a life story to relate and something to get off their chest... what happened to good informational educational writing that offered new facts for real fans

i'm a snobby asshole with no friends and i love the beatles

So am I
pls be my friend

What happened was that the internet was created. Everyone has a voice, everyone has their own story to tell, and you need to hear it no matter what their credentials are.

This dumbing down of content is especially in place when it comes to music. The average person has 0 knowledge of music theory and their view of music history is that it was all classical music until The Beatles invented pop. Writing something that uses technical terms and critical analysis is just going to scare off readers, specially if your target audience is dumb kids. They won't know what it means and they don't want to learn. But they can relate to personal stories about the listeners emotional connection to music or something.

This is why
>"This is a great break-up song"
will always get more people's attention than
>“Creep,” was the first of many Radiohead songs that used pivot tones, in which one note of a chord is held until a new chord is formed around it. (In the turn from G to B, the note B is the pivot point.) “Yeah, that’s my only trick,” Yorke said, when this was pointed out to him. “I’ve got one trick and that’s it, and I’m really going to have to learn a new one. Pedals, banging away through everything.” But a reliance on pedal tones and pivot tones isn’t necessarily a limitation: the Romantic composers worked to death the idea that any chord could turn on a dime toward another. Yorke’s “pedals” help give Radiohead songs a bittersweet, doomy taste. (“Airbag,” for example, being in A major, ought to be a bright thing, but the intrusion of F and C tones tilts the music toward the minor mode. “Morning Bell” sways darkly between A minor and C-sharp minor.) It’s a looser, roomier kind of harmony than the standard I-IV-V-I, and it gives the songs a distinct personality. It also helps sell records: whether playing guitar rock or sampling spaced-out electronica, Radiohead affix their signature.

eww no

Nice dog

Look man I'm sure you're a nice guy but I am not reading something that long.

Well okay... but Stereogum, Pitchfork, etc are filled with these articles that just don't tell cool stories about the bands or interview band members that often... album reviews devoind of any mention about the upcoming tour details... where's the information? Not just theory analysis and song structure?

It is also a shame that "clicks" is such a huge thing.... "clickable" stories and "traffic-attraction" and all that bullshit... not every person online is some Art major sitting in a coffee shop scrolling looking for casual and entertaining things to read quick for fun

i would rather hear someone say the second, but the only reason i bothered to read the whole post is because i'm a little high.

this is the same online magazine that called black metal fans elitist assholes for not liking Sunbather.

>hurr durr why can't BM fans enjoy this Screamo/Shoegaze album that I love so much???

It all went downhill when click-based ad revenue became a principal concern for content creators, and I say content creators because it extends far beyond just news organizations. Everyone tailors their content to host ads and generate clicks now, because it's such an effective strategy for getting money. It's not just a philosophy of having lots of ads, it's fundamentally changing content to maximize clicks, which inevitably sacrifices quality. And once major websites discovered that highly-opinionated thinkpieces with provocative headlines generated more clicks than more conventional news articles, the former completely took over.

very nice dog! Thanks for the image my man.

yeah... it all adds up ... Dan Lyons will tell you

He's just throwing a fit and saying the same thing everyone says about the Beatles.

>not understanding necessary and sufficient conditions
thats why you have no friends

Using Western music theory to try and understand non-Western music is misguided. Obviously Western popular music is Western, but it's barely informed by the Western classical tradition and its' artistic goals are different, in a way similar to the difference between Balinese, German, and Ethiopian music.

Therefore, it has little or no bearing on talking about rock music.