You know

The less artists you know on here, the more authentic you are

Don't forget!

I like most of those

>ITT: i like most of the albums on this chart but i'm not a p-poser, i s-swear

they are good albums tho

no theyre not

i have better taste than you. trust me

lol it's not enough to call Alice "the superior Coltrane", they have to select the bullshit new age release no one else cares about as their favorite
Most of the albums here are excellent though. That Ratkje album is a total joke.

I don't believe you, I think you have bad taste
Proof: You don't like those albums

If I could kill every poseur /daily/fag and RYMer with my bear hands i would

Why do you care? Autism?

t. embryo

but then plebs would take over
not quite

The anti-poseurcore movement is what Sup Forums needs. Music should always be seen on one field. We need less elitism not more.

Why? It creates discussion.

There is no such thing as entry-level and such, only good and bad albums that are subjective. People need to stop acting like Sup Forumscore and well known and well liked indie albums are somehow bad because a lot of people like and respect them. That shows insecurity with your own taste.

That being said, go exploring, go like whatever music you want to like, but don't rub it in the face of others that you have different taste. Talk about it with them, say "hey I found this cool album if you like _______ you should check it out".

Our mission is simple. We want to end the pathetic competition for "good" taste on Sup Forums that the nu-males on /daily/ created. Music should be for fun, not for showing off. Enjoy music for music. Poseurs will hang.

nah

nice pasta

btw the "art is subjective" meme does the opposite of creating discussion

what is some anti-pousercore

Oasis, Coldplay, GYBE and Sigur Ros

grimes

if you have bear hands that's cheating, you should be a real man and take those off, use your bare hands

Dear reader, we would like to take this opportunity to inform you on a regrettable subculture which has been forming on our beloved Sup Forums.

>WHAT IS THEIR NAME?

Poseurs.

>WHAT IS THEIR DEAL?

Poseurs are people who go out of their way to cultivate an image of being interesting, by and large through doing their best to cultivate a "sophisticated" music taste.
HOWEVER, as these people have no self-sufficiency of their own, or any knowledge or familiarity with music beyond the pop sphere presented on sites such as Pitchfork, the best they can do to cultivate that image is to go on RateYourMusic and sheepishly drone the top-rated albums of whatever niche genre they think will bring them the most "patrician" or "underground" or "sophisticated" credibility.

IF you were to question them on the merit an album they claim to be a favorite, they would not be able to provide any substantial opinion or judgment regarding it(only empty buzzwords which they regurgitate without ever giving any thought to what they mean or how they relate to that artist) as in reality they have none of the knowledge which would help them to properly evaluate it.
The vast majority of them don't know music theory or have any sort of education(whether through personal exploration or professional education) on music/art history and have no familiarity with the origins, backgrounds and histories of their "favorite" genres, albums and artists. Their education begins and ends with RYM pages and lists and Sup Forums chart thread images.

More effort goes into building up the perfect "patrician" RYM profile and curve using the perfect combination of albums and ratings than into actually trying to understand and genuinely appreciate what they are hearing.

This utter dilettantism and ignorance, however, does not prevent them from nurturing severe superiority complexes which serve as fuel for regular mockery, ridicule and debasement of the rest of this fine board's residents.

are you guys sure? I am not having much fun with those

wow great point you sure showed him

fuck yeah

wow great point you sure showed him

Okay, but why that Coil release? Atleast put Scatology or Time Machines or some shit on there. The Ape of Naples is literally Sup Forumscore.

fuck yeah

>BUT WHAT DO POSEURS ACTUALLY (CLAIM TO) LISTEN TO?

Presented in the OP is a brief introduction to the wild world of poseurcore. It is not an attempt at making a statement regarding the quality of the music produced by those artists. It is not the only music which poseurs listen to. It's just a quick rundown. If you wish, you can also take note of this somewhat more expansive text list of poseurcore favorites.

Merzbow, Boredoms, Gerogerigegege, Coil, Throbbing Gristle, Whitehouse, Nurse with Wound, Einstürzende Neubauten, Brainbombs, Egor Letov, Death in June, Current 93, La Monte Young, Moondog, Lou Harrison, Henry Cowell, Luigi Russolo, Popol Vuh, Fishmans, Jean Jacques Perrey, Les Rallizes Dénudés, Rainbow Caroliner, Taj Mahal Travellers, Fushitsusha, Peter Brötzmann, John Cage, Scott Walker, Unwound, Dead, Frank Zappa, Morton Feldman, Captain Beefheart, Pharoah Sanders, Albert Ayler, Ornette Coleman, Alice Coltrane, Arnold Schoenberg, Pierre Boulez, György Ligeti, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Nang Nang, Thinking Fellers Union Local 282, Nara Leão, Basic Channel, Raymond Scott, Delia Derbyshire, Daphne Oram, Noah Howard, Terry Riley, Peter Sotos, Lula Côrtes e Zé Ramalho, Boyd Rice, Mahmoud Ahmed, Henry Flynt, Kazumoto Endo, David Tudor, Aporea, Half Japanese, Mega Banton, Secret Chiefs 3, Keiji Haino, Ramleh, Otomo Yoshihide, John Zorn, Joe Meek, Robbie Basho, Phil Spector, Faxed Head, Harry Partch, Wesley Willis, Fred Frith, The Residents, Sun Ra, Sun City Girls, Hans Krüsi, Royal Trux, Jandek, Yat-Kha, Loren Mazzacane Connors, Pärson Sound, The Dead C, Comus, Cromagnon, Eliane Radigue, Arthur Doyle, Shizuka, The Red Krayola, Henry Cow, Magma, Opus Avantra, Pan.Thy.Monium., Murmuüre, Księżyc, Gong, Cukor Bila Smert', cLOUDDEAD, Muslimgauze and Kaoru Abe

why would anonymous people on a Jamaican knitting mailing list want to appear "interesting"?

explain yourself

weezer

weezer are the least poseurcore band of all time

>WHAT ABOUT GENRES?

Genres popular among poseurs include, among others: jazz and its variants, industrial music, noise and its variants, "world music" and its variants, non-dance-oriented electronic music and its variants, "smart pop" music, "experimental" music in general.

>WHY SHOULD I CARE?

Because poseurs make this board a more toxic and uninviting place.
Because they fuel tension and antagonism.
Because their use of music as an ego-building tool sets a bad example.
Because, ultimately, their mentalities regarding music, art and their fellow man are just no good.

>IS THERE A SPECIFIC PLACE ON Sup Forums WHERE POSEURS CONGREGATE?

Yes. The hottest beds of poseur activity on Sup Forums are the /RYM/, /daily/ and Top 100 album chart general threads.
Take note of the mentalities with which music is approached in these threads and you are bound to find even more repulsive details than have been exposed in this thread.

Lesser quantities of poseurs can also be found in threads such as the Last.fm threads and the 3x3 Last.fm collage threads. These are a more benign and inconsequential variety of poseur, but they are poseurs nonetheless.

>Wow, this is some pretty heavy shit to take in. WHAT SHOULD I DO? HOW CAN I HELP PUT A STOP TO THIS?

That, friend, is entirely up to you.

This has been an informative thread regarding the subject of POSEURCORE. Thank you for your attention,

- The Sup Forums Anti-Poseur Initiative

Check these boys

kanye, radiohead, animal collective, beyonce, taylor swift.

why do people here pretend to like this shit? nearly all of it is an unlistenable mess of pretension.

>unlistenable mess of pretension.
What did you mean by this?

>why do people like something that i can't get into?
i bet you didn't even listened to half of the chart.

the chart is more of a guide of what to steer clear of. Ive heard enough to know what kind of shit it is. Stuff where the artist doesn't try at all and hopes people will think he is deep or some shit like John Cage or the Gerogerigegege, beafheart etc

can someone explain how listening to a phil spector compilation makes you a poseur?

>beafheart
You are really clueless, aren't you?

You probably haven't heard of any of the things we listen to and never will so don't bother

Look, i can understand putting noise and shit on a chart like this, but unwound and fire orchestra aren't even off-putting

Elitism is good on a music discussion board because it forces people to go out of their comfort zone and explore different types of music.

If all music was considered equal than there would be no point in trying to broaden your taste, there wouldn't even be any point in discussion.

Oasis

>uh yeah of course I like pop music, what? no, not that kind of pop music, I'm more into Phil Spector, Joe Meek, the list goes on

>letting labels like "pleb" or "poseur" or "patrician" determine what kind of music you enjoy
pleb.

This, but unironically.

>beafheart
Literally listening to it the first time (kinda, quit last time when I realized my headphones were broken) and it sounds pretty good to me. Not for leisure but otherwise I consider it more accessible than radiohead so far desu.

Thanks for the recs! Some of those albums are garbage or nowhere near the best albums by those artists but some are great so I will try to check out the rest!

>John Cage
Listen to Indeterminancy, one of the best albums of the 50's by a significant margin

stop posting poseur

that's called a strawman argument

Patiently waiting on anything that disproves these posts

you are right though.

this