Been questioning the whole "existence of God" thing. As with most. For some...

Been questioning the whole "existence of God" thing. As with most. For some, much more rides on it then the mere exploration of it all. In my spare time, been doing more reading, discussing, and thinking than I ever have in my life. Including some of the "god threads" here.
Part of me is believing that it is all a man-created delusion. Nothing real. In ones head. But there is the part of me that wants there to be "a god". Needless to say, yeah, life has been bad. Shit family, mental illness (me), and the resulting hell from it all. Can a delusion be a good thing, or is it like a child still believing in santa clause, when they shouldn't?
Not talking about religion btw.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_Wager
youtube.com/watch?v=2-d4otHE-YI
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_Paths_to_liberation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_hysteria
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

A delusion hinders you in living your life. You wait for the afterlife, blame others etc.
Take some responsibility for your own life and find good things that are not total bullshit.

So if the belief in God is a delusion, and a delusion is a hindrance, than Gos is a hindrance? Never mentioned afterlife. Not blaming others either.

>God

>than Gos is a hindrance?
Implying something that does not exist can be a hindrance.

>Never mentioned afterlife. Not blaming others either.
In general terms. You asked if a delusion can be a good thing and I said no and gave two examples why not.

the way i see it OP
is religion has created a false idea of god
religion has also been the cause of most wars
also separation between people
on the subject of god
ur logic tells u there isn't one like the religions tell u
but deep inside we all have a longing for higher power
cause such exists, just not the way we've been told
god is all around us
is not a man woman or child, he is an energy or a frequency
we are god in a sense, because we have the ability to create and destroy

BS

solid argument

yeah, I get that. I am at a point in my life where I need more then "blind faith" in something.

u want something measurable or which u can feel ur connection to god?
try meditating
only way to see what i am talking about is to actually try

right now u are confining urself with ur believes and ur mind is trying to make sense of things it has never experienced

Then let me expand on it:
>but deep inside we all have a longing for higher power
I don't, what now?
>cause such exists, just not the way we've been told
Citation or proof needed.
>god is all around us
Citation or proof needed.
>is not a man woman or child, he is an energy or a frequency
What does that even mean? What effect has that "energy" on our world and galaxy? Your definition has no meaning.
>we are god in a sense, because we have the ability to create and destroy
So your definition is that a god can destroy and create? So is a worm building its tunnels in the ground a god?

Your definitions had no meaning at all, therefor it's bullshit.

Living without a god is very difficult. Accepting your life as being completely alone takes a lot of strength and it is understandable why some take this path. But if you choose to do this do your best to leave religion behind. Do your best to take responsibility and destiny into your own hands.

God is the collective consciousness of existent forces. Many religions try to personify the concept of God. That's retarded.

If I am working for a man who says I will get a paycheck, am I to hope for one to come instead of verifying his obligation to pay?

Do I continue to work for months on end, being promised an eventual paycheck, despite there being no indication he has the capacity to pay?

That's what God is, except the paycheck is promised when you're dead.

The human consciousness cannot survive death. The neural pathways that manifest your personality and experience will be oxidized and decayed after you die.

There is no afterlife, so stop wasting the only life you have wishing for one.

Here's how i see it:
if there is a god- i don't believe- i lose
if there is a god- i believe- i win
if there isn't a god- i don't believe - nothing happens
if there isn't a god- i believe- nothing happens

Best choice either if he exists or he doesn't is to believe

God or not, whatever you choose to believe, do your best to appreciate everything there is to appreciate. Learn what you can, explore what you're interested in, take some time to just in awe of some of the things we as people can experience whether you believe an entity made it for us or its just chance, both are equally as incredible.

“Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.
It is up to you to give [life] a meaning.”
― Jean-Paul Sartre

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_Wager

1 not everyone is intended to find a connection back to god
2look into the old text from india, tibet, egypt, mayans, they had it all right
3same as 2
4look pic
5god is free will , it can do whatever, thats why there is good and bad, yin en yang
every living creature has divinity, is connected to universal energy
animals are not separated from this energy
humans due to our minds create a separation
1.5years into our life

This is one of the reasons I don't believe.

Pascal's wager is horseshit when you realize there's over 4,200 gods for you to chose from.

Pascal's wager is that bullshit called.

So, in which god should you belief? Christian God, Yahwee, Allah, Zeus etc.? Which one is the right God to believe in and win the wager?

Also, shouldn't an all knowing God know that you only believe in him because you didn't want to take a risk?

Pascal's Wager is nonsense because you can use the same reasoning to justify any arbitrary idea that includes an eventual reward for believing.

Yes, choose the one that suits your ideas best

But it doesn't make it wrong. Just because to can justify a myriad of ideas doesn't make those justifications any less valid. Although the fact that thousands of gods makes the "rational" decision a lot less rational.

yeah. I have. Thing is, I have some schizoid issues that get me too get "stuck in my head".
So, the big problem is; separating the mental problems from reality. One can see how this issue in particular makes this difficult.
Have had psychiatrists advise me to not even question the whole "god issue", while getting stabilized. So what does that mean? So it is all a result of symptoms?

even if god is real, he's an asshole

youtube.com/watch?v=2-d4otHE-YI

My criticism does make it wrong. Because we can do this:

Religion Alpha claims the following:
People that believe in no God for most of their lives will go to heaven.

Now Pascal's Wager is worthless because it leads us to a contradiction. Thus using Pascal's Wager to choose religions is silly.

>1 not everyone is intended to find a connection back to god
So, it is God's plan for me not to believe in him?
>2look into the old text from india, tibet, egypt, mayans, they had it all right
>3same as 2
They have as much value as the Bible or Quran: None
They prove nothing, it's a circular argument.
>4look pic
Two things look similar, so what? That has no meaning. I can find a thousand things that look similar and have no connection whatsoever.
>5
You have not even answered what effect that "energy" has on our world etc. You don't even deliver a definition of your "god" or "energy" or whatever BS you believe in.

I agree using it to choose a religion is silly, but assuming that there is one god (which I understand is impossible) makes it rational. I just think that when it thought of he didnt consider the other numerous gods of the world.

If you are in a schizophrenic phase it's really not good to delve into the topic of God's existence.
You can end obsessed over it and lose your touch with reality etc. and hinder your healing process.

this

I have two severely schizophrenic siblings. Whenever they are in an episode, they are completely obsessed with religious bullshit, talking to god, etc.

Makes me wonder what their episodes would be like had they not been raised religious.

>choose the one that suits your ideas best
Every time some SJW whines about "muh feels" and how they should be part of the law, Sup Forums explodes.

So why the fuck is it OK to do it for the framework of the damn universe?

1its actually not his plan, but yours, we all decide our fates right before incarnating here
2then how did all these ancient civilisations know so much about astrology, mayan calendar for instance, the procession of equinox requires observation over 20 0000+ years to map out
4 for your if its not black on white, on wikipedia, you won't take it for a valuable info
i find that very limiting
5dude god can't be put into words, its a feeling, deeper understanding, one obtains over the course of their life, some like u decide to ignore it, others not
i am not here to teach u but, to question your views, so maybe u decided to look deeper and find out for yourself what truth of this reality is

op here. yeah, this. so how do I know if I am "in the phase" or not? And why should that be an issue to question these things? What about the preacher who says, "God spoke to me. I heard the word of God." Is he psychotic? Why isn't he on medication? In a hospital?

My 2 cents worth:
>believe in God (one for all mankind)
>don't believe in any religion
>Man corrupted religion in the name of God
>God isn't here anymore

You can find god through JESUS.

JESUS wants your semen for breakfast in heaven.

It's as valid a statement as any.

Either way it doesnt matter. If he does exist what does that change. Are you really that egocentric to think you would matter to him or that your life will change at all by beleiving in him.
Say God doesnt exist too. That doesnt free you from the burden of existance. You still need to live, work and find hapiness. It doesnt matter either way.

Either way be a good person, make a living at something and be thankful for the life you have. On the flip side if there is a God, you should be greatful for your life he gave you and look to make the most of it.

If god doesnt exist, you should feel lucky you were born as human, capable of intellegence and personal growth. Be Glad you were born on Earth and realise how rare life is in the galaxy and Universe.

Everyone likes to feel that someone is in charge, like there is a plan to everything. Most people dont want to accept that things happen seemingly at random, but they do everyday with no rhyme or reason.

just do whatever the fuck makes you happy user and dont let anyone stand in the way of your happyness

The cause of most wars is over resources , land & control of people be it economical systems , religion or other,

Religion is often used as an excuse to murder your enemy and take their lands , since they are unbelievers and not under the control of your people.

Religion has rarely if ever been the sole cause for a war , there almost always is another goal such as securing lands or gaining resources.
Religion just helps with the Us vs Them , it is far easier to murder a dehumanised enemy.

Then keep it short:
1. If we can all decide it "before we incarnate", why should anyone decide not to? Is it the "I don't want to believe, because I want to sin"-argument? Why are people deciding to get cancer as a child for their fate?
2.If you mean astronomy->Because of science.
If you really mean astrology->It's pseudoscience and it's bullshit.
4.I take everything as valuable info that you can proof. Doesn't have to be wikipedia. In fact, if it's a more credible science output, it's better. Anecdotal evidence and feelings are BS, as I can also tell you that my invisible skyfairy has told me that you are wrong and there is no "god-energy" and I feel that this is right. No good argument, huh?
5.How can you believe in something if you can't even understand what it is? What is your believe worth then? What does it mean to believe in something not understandable?

You have to decide for yourself:
Does your illness hinder you in living the way how you want to do it? Does it harm you or other people around you?

Then treat it and let others help you.
If not: Don't treat it.

The same way if it is an issue to question these things: If it may hinder your healing process or you may start to obsess over this: Don't do it.

Also: It's hard for the person experiencing an episode to tell if he does or not. You should ask a trained physician or psychologist if you are in doubt. Or alternatively the person you trust the most. Act accordingly to what that person is telling you.

And lastly: Half of the people claiming god talks to them. They are lying. The other half is bonkers, but at least they don't harm themselves or others. Most of the time. It's Bullshit.

1 is because we all need to have different experience
thats how soul growth works on the astral planes
bad in this world is not bad beyond this one
is just how we look at it
from what i know the people with hard lives attain most spiritual growth , the harder the game the bigger the reward scenario
2astronomy sry, english is not my native
5science is fragment info, it is the observation of one or number of people, science tents to ignore many major questions, which it can not answer, therefore is limited
dude is not about believing , is about knowing, life experiencing lead to understanding of self and your reality, anyone with little experience in meditation has glimpsed what all these impossible questions are
its not so much about having it explained, but rather felt

>Are you really that egocentric to think you would matter to him or that your life will change at all by beleiving in him.

The basis for most religions.

Yeah, I guess people such as myself are in that "whole other category", because we have a mental illness. For me, I need to make a decision on this. No more of this "on the fence" Agnostic shit. Yep, been "calling out to god", to give me a sign. lol...I'm not so far gone as to think that every "good thing" that happens is a sign from god btw. I'm sick of the whole "magic shit". "Thank god for this, for that." No, most things came from work and money. Good people. Atheist or theist.

I've been questioning the existence of God for quite some time myself. I could honestly not care less if anyone believes me and As bat shit crazy as it sounds, I used to live in a haunted house. Crazy shit went down. Not necessarily poltergeist type of shit but enough to convince me of the absolute presence of evil. Those who haven't experienced this will think it's too crazy to believe and rightly so.. I probably wouldn't believe it either if I hadn't been there. Anyway my my current thought process is if evil exists in that form. A form that's completely intangible and explainable, that there has to be at the very least an equal force, be it God or whatever, out there.

I would hardly put the power of some errant spirits on the level of the creator of the universe,

This coming from a former Anglican Christian & now Athiest that is open to the existence of the supernatural & god , but I no longer believe.

Haunted house. Sometimes we "see/hear" things that aren't there. Or maybe they are there. Just in our heads.

Saw doors opening on their own and felt cold spots in an old apartment in CA. Started believing in the afterlife at that point. Jury's still out on God.

Hypersensitivity. Bad hinges, drafts. Poor heating/circulation. Body temp fluctuates.
I have read much about "all that". /x/, blah.
Most can be explained. The rest is kept a mystery to keep a place "haunted" for a good story, money/ratings for a paranormal show.
You tell someone that a house is haunted, they are more likely to see/hear things, then if you do not tell them.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_Paths_to_liberation

Why would you "want" a god to exist? More than that, why would you want an eternity of anything, let alone being in "heaven" with a bunch of nosey hypocrites? Forever! Why???

Because immortality.

Maybe. But seeing as how I didn't see or hear anything after we moved.. And it wasn't just myself in the house experiencing.. Things.

It is more about "wanting" something to believe in while alive, here. Again, I have this mental shit. Depression, schizoid, anxiety, other. Medication only does so much. When you feel like putting a 12-guage in your mouth, or even plan on it, what's to stop you. Yet another hospitalization, med change, etc.?

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

>Been questioning the whole "existence of God" thing. As with most

retard

Kek

'''''''''''gods''''''' don't exist

if you didn't come to that conclusion on your own by the time you were in grade school you're an idiot

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_hysteria

so you have an answer?