When did baseball disappear from American pop culture?

The average American probably couldn't name 5 active MLB players. I turned on the home run derby yesterday and didn't recognize anybody except for Stanton. What the hell happened?

Other urls found in this thread:

sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2015/01/28/Research-and-Ratings/Harris-Poll.aspx
mlb.mlb.com/mlb/help/faq_blackout.jsp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Lots of big name players don't do the Derby because it's a pointless injury risk

>Why do people stop about a boring game that is only fun when you are drunk?

Too many spics

>I have pleb taste: the post

>average mlb game takes 3 hours

i don't think that shit stays fun for so long, even when you're drunk

it can mess up your swing mechanics as well

So you say that enjoying baseball is a niche thing?
I used to think that baseball was real big and you know...stadium filled with plebeians

It's not a niche thing at all, I don't know what the other guy is talking about. It's still the 2nd-most popular sport if you look at polls, attendance, and revenue, but it has no presence in popular culture whatsoever. Nobody talks about the games at work, nobody talks about which player is best, you don't see many players doing big endorsements...it's weird, because baseball had a strong presence in pop culture about a decade ago but now it's gone.

They finally realised it was a shit-tier sport.

Drunk AND high then?

It's really shit. Baseball is the only sport I can't bring myself to watch

Sport got expensive. Prominent tv coverage was scrapped. Internet came and took peoples attention elsewhere. Kids don't go outside to play anymore. Well, they do, but I mean really go outside like in the old days (e.g. The Sandlot).

Basketball-Americans happened.

The strike in 1994 basically killed the sport.

MOOOOOM WHY AREN'T THERE SWAG BLACK PLAYERS ON TV?

Baseball is fun to play, plenty still do
Watching that borefest is another matter

They're only like 10% of the population

Are ANY sports players superstars anymore? You might be able to say that some NBA players are, but around August or September there won't be any mention of them until the end of next year's season. What said is true, but it applies to every sport in the USA.

>didn't recognize anyone except for Stanton

That's because you're a casual faggot

>unknowingly giving weight to OPs argument

baseball is easily the worst sport out of our major 4

The only reason baseball stays relevant is because it runs unopposed from the end of the NHL/NBA finals to the start of NFL preseason.

>Nobody talks about the games at work

Completely depends upon where you live.
A lot of casuals know what's going on in the sport in the northeast.

Their population as a percentage of the total has declined significantly from the 1950s, when baseball was at its peak.

>Are ANY sports players superstars anymore?

Lebron, Kobe, Brady, Curry, arguably still Jeter

>people don't care about Autism: The Sport

It's a minor miracle that it was popular at all.

Because (((they))) hate baseball.

You're literally shamed if you like baseball. That's why that manlet Chris Rock made that video crying about how he didn't picked for the team in school and how it's raciss

Just because you don't like it or don't know anyone doesn't mean jack shit

I'm so sick of this generations faggot me me me self centered universe

OH I DONT LIKE THIS THING SO EVERYONE DOESNT

you fucking retards

Baseball was built for radio
It survived the TV
It survived the computer
It will coexist with the smartphone

Case and point, how many people are on their phones at games.

It's still extremely popular here (and in Japan, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Venezuela, etc.). The attendance per game is right up there with the NFL and the Bundesliga, and the total annual attendance blows every other sports league in the world out of the water. But for some reason it's invisible in pop culture.

Tom Brady

why is that? I've heard this cited before.

I dislike baseball as well. It's simply boring desu.

>there's always one croatian in these hate on baseball threads

I don't typically accuse of samefagging but you're a faggot

lots of things, nothing overnight. The most significant was certainly the invention and popularization of the television in America

This is the first time i'm posting in a baseball thread, and I have my reasons to be butthurt about baseball. There is one Croatian kid that goes into all American threads and shits around like it's a street in India, maybe that's him.

Still that fucking packed? God damn it.
Maybe people ran out of ideas about it.

Baseball is built on >muh passion and >muh tradition in a way that no other sport in America is. It's very similar to how Europeans feel about soccer. So all the players going on strike for an entire year and the World Series being cancelled for the first time since 1904 seriously reduced interest in the game for many fans.

It also ended Michael Jordan's short baseball career. He promptly went back to basketball, helping to make the NBA an actual competitor to MLB instead of the NHL-tier league it was before.

Long time all around sports fan here, I've stopped watching practically everything else since I realized baseball is literally the perfect game.

Testament to how far your country has sunk that obesitycollide has taken over as your main sport. Baseball was life, baseball was war, baseball was every day and it was where real stories and real legends were made.

now you guys just get together with literally every single casual your gifted marketing talent has reached out to to watch three hours of commercials. seriously how can you even stand watching every one of your 16 (LMAO) games with your casual alcoholic sister.

Worry not ameribros, handegg will concussion itself out of existence in your lifetime and baseball will become the great American sport again

>and I have my reasons to be butthurt about baseball

Would you mind sharing? I'm not the guy you replied to, but I'm really curious about why a Croatian would have anything against baseball at all. Shouldn't it be completely irrelevant for you, the way that cricket and rugbee are for us?

Attention spans got smaller and so did sports requiring such spans.

Friendly reminder that the US' decline as a country almost marks for for dot the decline of baseball as the most popular sport here

there are too many games. 162 in just the regular season waters down interest significantly. It makes games far less interesting when they almost literally don't matter when there's going to be playoffs anyway. The world series is the only thing remotely interesting these days and even the NFL draft gets more viewers.

Would Liz be a fan of the Dodgers, the Giants, or the Yankees?

because your corporations are pretty invested in the NFL being THE american sport now

Maybe it's different in kids stories. I never played a game of baseball in my life but all the stories I read as a kid has them playing baseball (aside from those divine Canadian books they rammed down our throats at every opportunity)

Can you explain to me why in your view baseball is literally the perfect game?

Most of the household names of the 90s being exposed as roiders probably didn't help. I didn't follow baseball at all as a kid, but I still knew who McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, A-Rod were. We all know what happened next there.

Also gotta think baseball players are harder to market than football/basketball players. How often do you even see Trout or Harper on TV shilling for something? They're on offense for 1/9 of the airtime and only shown on defense when they're involved in the play. Any star pitcher only starts ~1/5 of the time. Meanwhile Brady and Newton and James and Curry are the most important guy on the TV for at least half the game. The overall shifts in media don't help the sport at all imo

Because literally only old white men care about boreball and guess what, old white men are dying by the second. People will throw around muh tv revenues but it doesn't matter because in 15 years with no new fans the sport is going to be dead.

Only fatherless cucks that had nobody to play catch with hate baseball

1. Baseball is slow as shit.
The prevalence of the internet and subsequently Myspace and Facebook have given people something to occupy their brain 24/7.
"There's nothing to do ALL DAY. let's pass 6 hours by watching basebore" is no longer a thing that's said.
2. Unwillingness to evolve.
Things are constantly changing. There is an awful amount of horse shit in pro sports. All of them. But the NFL is constantly changing rules to keep things evolving and fresh. Whether it be for player safety or to add excitement.
Basebore is still stuck in 1910.
M-muh tradition. M-muh history
3. Baseball highlights show exactly how pathetic the sport is. It's squirrels running around on the field. It's people stacking 50 cups in the stands and running around like fuckheads. It's people who broke their phone catching a foul ball. Literally nothing that has to do with the sport itself.
4. Baseball discussion shows exactly how pathetic the sport is. It's talking about how "beautiful" a fucking field is instead of actually talking about the sport. Because the sport is boring and irrelevant. It's the opposite of exciting or engaging for discussion. Discussion is right up the alley of old crusty morons who say "they just wanted it more" because that's the only thing they can make apply to basebore
5. No rivals. The Yankees and Red Sox are not rivals. They were rivals 100 years ago. See: m-muh history. There is no anger. There is no hate. Nothing pops off the screen. Only a moron would think they're "rivals" simply because E!SPN is telling you "b-buh they're rivals i swear!" If you took away the names of the teams there would be no indication of a rivalry to measure. Because there isn't one.
6. Devoid of personality. Bryce Harper literally has a fucking hairstyle and old crusty retards get butthurt. A guy flips a fucking bat and has the slightest of smirks on his face after a home run and he's "disrespectful" and pitchers decide to throw at his head.

Comment too long. Basebore is pathetic

MLB is twice as big as NBA. The NBA is 30% bigger than the NHL

Seriously this is what you get at a bball game of a major bball club.

>enter stadium before first pitch, everyone is out getting food, stadium is empty
>third inning, people are still coming in
>fourh inning, stadium mostly full, people are chatting about meaningless things, and occasionally clapping when something happens
>sixth inning people are leaving since home team is behind
>seventh inning, larger break, everyone goes out to eat, or home in case home team is behind
>two fans are making fun of opposing reliever worming up
>eight to nine inning, stadium almost completely empty and birds are circling in for the loot

I am Sup Forums's puppet and treat shitposts as fact: the post

Your "no rivalry/hate" comment is probably the most retarded of all. Baseball has more brawls than any sport but hockey, and probably would have more than hockey if they were allowed like in hockey.

It's a long, painful and boring story.

I was a breddy gud player when I was a kid. Even got scouted once when I was 16.

Since we didn't have a minors league, and Croatian league is pretty shit, I played with senior players. And in that same season I fucked my knee up really bad when sliding into base. 14 months out bad.

Meanwhile the local team I played in got cucked and turned into a softball team only, and I didn't have luck into making it into any other team.

When I finally did, coach there was a huge dick, I rarely played, got injured again and gave up on it.

And every fucking time I see anything baseball related I remember how much fun I had playing as a kid, and that it was the only thing I was actually good at, how nothing ever came out of that, and how it might have been.

They're not really allowed in hockey. Moreso tolerated.

Damn, kinda amazed you played in Croatia at all. I guess the world is getting more pluralistic.

Sounds like a man who's bitter at his ex-girlfriend because she became better than him after the breakup

If it makes you feel any better, you probably never would have made it anyway. The only Europeans in the majors are Italians, Germans, or Brits with dual citizenship (usually with an American dad in the military).

u mad?

I was happy when Alessandro Liddi made it. I guess he's just a farmhand these days.

based croatia

not every baseball fan is an unathletic autistic nerd, but every unathletic autistic nerd loves baseball

just like drug dealers and pitbulls

It's not really a sport. It's more of a game.

Scripted 1v1 encounters and archaic gameplay dynamics are what doomed baseball. There's no creativity, improvisation or team chemistry required.

It's had a good run but just let it die.

Seems like kind of a silly thing to get mad about. Less than one tenth of one percent of the kids who play baseball ever even make it to the minors, let alone the majors. Even if you grew up playing in South Florida with access to the top-tier coaches and facilities, you still probably wouldn't have made it past the high school level.

>I never played football and have zero grasp of its intricacies
>a leaf

whatever you say bro. hockey is based though.

>not every baseball fan is an unathletic autistic nerd, but every unathletic autistic nerd loves baseball
>just like drug dealers and pitbulls

Nah, the majority of unathletic autistic nerds who like sports like basketball predominantly, in my experience. Just like drug dealers who own pit bulls.

whites go for baseball and minorities go for basketball

Not always. Cubans, Venezuelans, Dominicans, and Puerto Ricans all prefer baseball.

We've had baseball since 80's, american football since 2010. No one watches it tho, it's niche as fuck.

I know, manchildish of me, but can't fucking help it.

I know that, I wouldn't made it to America, but there are places in Europe like Germany or Netherlands where I could have made it.

I forget, what was the importance of the bird vs birdcage necklace choice at the beginning of Bioshock Infinity? Did it affect anything?

im cuban and puerto rican and i prefer american football or soccer. baseball isnt that popular among us unless you actually played it. its a dying sport as far as spectators go here

> The attendance per game is right up there with the NFL and the Bundesliga, and the total annual attendance blows every other sports league in the world out of the water.

A. Total numbers are so high because you have so many games. 162 games per year, 80 home games, so even 10k is enough to get total numbers really high
B. They lie about attendance. It looks good for the press and even for ticket sales, if you tout that you are 'sold out', or even so they pass the blackout. In fact they count season holders that don't come to matches, sponsorhip tickets that don't come to matches, and even regular sold tickets aren't sold. I mean it's the same as Maverics running sold out record, and then them playing in half empty stadium.
C. There is huge disparity in attendance and revenue, AAA farm teams of big franchises make more money than the quarter of MLB teams, and they're not exactly swimming in cash ether. About the bottom half of the MLB would straight out collapse if it wasn't for revenue sharing and tv rights.

Firstly, it's a sort of game-within-a-game, with the results of the timeless pitcher vs batter duel impacting different areas of the overall game, adding a unique dimension to the sport.

Second is the process of segmented scoring. In baseball, a player is isolated in turn and given the opportunity to score, or more likely, build up a better opportunity to score by first accomplishing a smaller (and ultimately, insignificant at the final accounting) objective. Thus in baseball, we can directly quantify the mini-goals a player might help his team with, along with being able to acutely judge the difference between players, as they are all required to perform in relatively the same situation.

Third is the relentless grinding nature of baseball. Anyone that doesn't want to be able to watch their team play practically every fucking day is a fucking casual, it's objectively the best schedule for a sports fan. It also makes baseball great because you get relatively massive sample sizes for stats, and players are not judged for having done some great bits of action on big nights but on consistently proving their precise skills over crazy amounts of games

I can go on for a while

>even so they pass the blackout

there is no blackout in MLB

The baseball federation should try to market their sport in cricketing nations.

>Devoid of personality. Bryce Harper literally has a fucking hairstyle and old crusty retards get butthurt. A guy flips a fucking bat and has the slightest of smirks on his face after a home run and he's "disrespectful" and pitchers decide to throw at his head.
this desu

When I was in India, I watched Cricket cause it was the next best thing. Also, at least Australia has active players in the major leagues.

>highest attendance
>really high salaries
seems to be doing ok

They tried. But then they were all like "fuck it" & did more shit in Japan.

>only watched by 60+ demographic

it's really not

>doing ok
>2014 NFL draft
>6.8 rating
>2013 MLB playoffs
>Highest rated game was game 6 of the world series
>5.5 rating
>Non-competitive football event outdraws a baseball championship game
>doing ok
>doing ok
>doing ok
this is why baseball is disappearing.

I like to think of baseball like turn based JRPGs. Still fun, just an older slower form of combat.

To be fair, every American sport is doing poorly compared to American football.

>I'm autistic

ah k got it now

Baseball is clearly thriving if you look at attendance and revenue. But tv ratings are pathetic compared to football and even basketball, and it's definitely fallen behind those two sports in terms of cultural relevance.

that's literally the dumbest idea i've ever heard

why would they try and market their bat and ball game in countries that already have an established bat and ball game? it has about as much chance of succeeding as cricket in America

>baseball isnt that popular among us unless you actually played it.

I guess we just had really different experiences then. I'm Cuban and everyone in my family cares about it more than other sports. Same goes for all the Cuban and Venezuelan kids I knew, everyone played and watched baseball.

It seems (from a filthy sudaca point of view) that the NBA gets a lot more exposure on movies and shit, next to the NFL and the MLB is next to nonexistant

It is not the second most popular sport.

Pajeet clearly hasn't had his morning shit yet, go easy on him m8

There's no real change, but it's kind of an inside joke/reference. Most people would associate the bird with freedom/goodness and the cage with imprisonment/evil on their first playthrough, but if you know how the whole story goes it's actually the opposite.

I was just basing it off of this poll

sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2015/01/28/Research-and-Ratings/Harris-Poll.aspx

Football: 42%
Baseball: 16%
Basketball: 9%

It really shows how dominant football is, because they separate pro football from college football and college ball is almost the 2nd-most popular sport on its own.

baseball is the only sport (((they))) are good. If anything (((they))) love it

It's still popular, I don't know where the hell you all live. It's a more regionalized game than ever before (which is fucking crazy seeing how the average fan is exposed to way more games and clips nowadays). Everyone in the DMV area knows who Bryce Harper is. I'm sure everyone in the Northeast knows who Pedroia and David Ortiz are, and I'm sure even in dead-as-fuck Miami everyone knows who Giancarlo Stanton and Jose Fernandez is.I can't comment on knowing 5 players because I don't know what the average American remembers.

It's a fun summer thing to do go to the ballpark drink some reebs eat some peanuts and cracker jacks good time bring a gun though you could get shot

>srsly
mlb.mlb.com/mlb/help/faq_blackout.jsp

You're a pleb if you don't know Cano, Frazier, or Trumbo

Could not agree more.

ok, there IS a blackout, but its not based on attendance like in the NFL

>Americans being lectured on their own sport by a Slovakian

American education truly is a parody now

MJ was garbage at baseball
He was attended spring training and was on a minor team

This

>attention spans got smaller
Underrated post