so i guess this is getting a television series

Other urls found in this thread:

theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=894
theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7749
theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8767
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I pray to Shaitan that it will be good.

pls don't let some retards ruin it with a too small budget or stupid casting choices

also does anyone have any WoT meimeis ready?

I want to spank Rand

>Loial is just a man with long ears
>Trollocs are black people with animal helmets
>The scene never happens

kek, if they cast blacks as trollocs, it would cause a shitstorm and probably end with the show cancelled

why is Sanderson such a hack?

>want Game of Thrones quality or better
>want a faithful adaptation
>want a Battle of Dumai's wells as PTSD inducing as the Omaha Beach scene from saving private ryan
>want qt novices "clad only in the light" undergoing their acceptance test
>want a scene of Mat wearing nothing but a black scarf around his neck and covering his junk with his hat running down the halls of the Tarasin palace with servant girls tittering and a milf Tylin chasing him with wedding knife in hand
>want to see Mat take Joline over his knee and spank her
>want TV-MA

>expect watered down TV-14 garbage like Shannara Chronicles
>expect all references to nudity or sex never touched
>expect battles to never actually be shown just talked about in the aftermath
>expect the whole Tylin arc to be cut since it's basically her raping him for months
>expect a girl not nearly pretty enough for the part to play Lanfear
>expect the spanking to not be shown since it violates womyn
>expect lead cast members inappropriately cast as niggers for "diversity" in the first season, even though by the time they encounter the Seanchan there will be legit people of color in the story

yeah assuming it actually happens (rights have been in play for decades) it's going to be shit

there is no way this can ever be good, prove me wrong

Oh there's ways it can be good. You just have to give it to someone like HBO, Showtime, or Starz, who aren't afraid to make TV-MA programming.

If you give it to a basic cable or a network they will think they need to water it down to TV-14 for a "wider audience" but that backfires, just as making PG-13 backfires when R rated movies in the same genre are received better both at the box office and critics.

Yes yes I know, but game of thrones is so much more visceral and sexual in the books so it has to be TV-MA that doesn't mean WoT needs to be TV-MA..

if they were movies, WoT would be Rated R, and A song of ice and fire would be NC-17, while Lord of the Rings is appropriately PG-13, because Lord of the Rings has no sexuality to it in the books, and there's more descriptions of tall helms and bright swords and large hosts than there are of what people actually do with those bright swords.

Wheel of Time describes some gore (people being literally torn apart by the Power, heads exploding into pieces, people being obliterated by the cannons Mat made in the last battle, etc), some tits (or s Robert Jordan was more fond of calling them.. bosoms..), some sex, and they use their own curse words in their own culture. It's not our curse words but "Blood and Ashes" is used in pretty much the same way as "You've gotta be shitting me" is used in our culture, and in both instances, you have a stuck up woman telling you to watch your language.

and A Song of Fire has a LOT of tits, cunts, fucking, and rotting heads on spikes complete with descriptions of the rotting and maggots, and when they swear, they use the words WE associate with swearing, rather than words and phrases invented for their own culture.

So yeah... it's further along the TV-MA scale.. but that doesn't mean WoT isn't full of TV-MA material.

>beginning your thread with 'so i guess'
>actually beginning your thread with 'so'
Stopped reading right there. You revealed yourself, you piece of shit Redditor.
If you get the opportunity, you should kill yourself.

how to depict channeling and all of the unreliable narration?

Brandon Sanderson is the best thing that ever happened to fantasy literature, actualy.

Why does Robert Jordan write like such an autist?

Do I REALLY need to know how many tapestries hang on the wall, what color they are, what material the dress of a tertiary character is made of, what color that dress is, where the dress was made etc. etc. Fantasy writers cannot fucking resist doing this shit. Tolkein and tress/plants, GRRM and food/heraldry etc. NOBODY FUCKING CARES ABOUT THIS SHIT AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Padding in order to distract you from realizing that nothing actually happens 90% of the time

Overrated garbage book series. This will tank.

If a premium channel does pick it up, then all your expectations really are just guarantees.

*doesn't

IT'S LIKE GoT BUT WITH MORE CHARACTERS AND MORE BORING

Please provide an example. I'm tired of anti-WoTers shitting up WoT television show threads with vague accusations.

Provide an example. Use the entire maximum character count with your example, or shut the fuck up forever.

>adaptation is impeccably faithful
>audiences hate it because all the women all the men are whipped cucks, all the women are turbo-bitches and 75% of screentime is panning across tiny environmental details and Nynaeve tugging her braid

he's criticizing the cover art posted, mr. trips

The on;y things I can think of to warrant a TV-MA rating would be Trolloc cookpots, and Asha'man exploding the fuck out of Shaido during Dumai's Wells

>or shut the fuck up forever
woah dude

Why does everyone keep saying depictin channeling will be mpossible? It's described as a swirling glow around the Aes Sedai. How is that so impossible?

He might not do the George R.R. Martin describing every factor of every meal but he certainly has characters crossing their arms under their breasts and tugging their braids and the same bullshit male vs female shit over and over and over. You shouldn't need examples of that at least, his cunt wife editor let a ton of shit slip when it came to the women

>cunt wife editor

I think it's safe to call WoT unedited.

There's all sorts of incidental ultraviolence sprinkled throughout the books. Perrin killing Whitecloaks, Mat collapsing dudes lungs, Rand trying to resurrect a dead girl in the stone, Rand beheading merchant troupe and puppeteering their corpses, something violent happens literally every chapter

>Asha'man exploding the fuck out of Shaido during Dumai's Wells
This is literally the only thing I care about seeing from a WOT series, a faithful adaptation of the battle of Dumai's Wells + Rand's internal battle coinciding with it. Rand busting out of his rape barrel is almost as satisfying as the actual battle.

>vague accusations

I just hope the trollocs don't look too fake.

>There's all sorts of incidental ultraviolence sprinkled throughout the books. Perrin killing Whitecloaks, Mat collapsing dudes lungs, Rand trying to resurrect a dead girl in the stone, Rand beheading merchant troupe and puppeteering their corpses, something violent happens literally every chapter

Sounds edgy as heck. But is it written tastefully?

also, how to represent balefire burning a thread away from the pattern?
because it does play a huge role in the series.

or how the hell is the Flame of Tar Valon supposed to look like?

Jaichim Carridin gets a funnel jammed in his mouth and alcohol poured down his throat until he drowns, this is after his family has been killed one by one by myrddraal for his failures

WOT has an even bigger lore "problem" than GOT. 95% of what happens makes no sense without RJ's worldbuilding. I don't think most of it can be adequately communicated to the audience on TV. So I would expect tons of material to be cut, especially anything that smacks of high fantasy like Tel'aran'rhiod or the ancient history of the Aiel, and what we'll get is a barebones retelling of the events of the main series.

>There's a touch of oral tradition in my writing. A spoken story must flow musically, in words and in structure. I believe that my fiction reads as if it were meant to be read aloud. In short, it is a matter of time and place and experience. I grew up in a different place and in a different way from any of those men, and lived a different life. I am none of those men, could not be, and don't want to be. I am myself.

As long as it has the budget and can do the legit TV-MA stuff (Jordan didn't shy away from grim and dark stuff we the story called for it)

My only concern is the length. 14 books is a ton material to work through. The slow middle part can be condensed but goddamn is it still going to be long.

All this talk makes me want to re-read the series. The problem is that for every cool chapter or badass moment it feels like there are ten more about Nynaeve tugging her braid and Rand trying to decide if fucking his cousin is ok or not.

For some values of "tastefully," I would say yes. But it's still genre fiction.

it HAS to be a cartoon
at the very least animated like those french hentais

Was that a quote I should know? I'm not well-versed in Anglo-American literature, being non-Anglo.

Sanderson is a mixed bag.

The work he did to complete WoT was passable though. I think we can say with confidence that any other fantasy author would not have done the end of the series justice. Especially since Sanderson did 8x the work of the contract he signed just to make sure the story was completed in a satisfying way.

>it's a Liandrin Compels a guard to let her into Carridin's quarters then knifes him in the eye on the way out episode

Guy Gavriel Kay would probably have done a better job. He didn't half-ass The Silmarillion.

>current year
>there's still no edit of WoT cutting out all the literally nothing and irrelevant bullshit

I guess I'll never finish it.

Sanderson moved the story along, but artlessly. Not that RJ's writing transcends the genre, but it's better than most. People praise Sanderson simply because he got things moving again, and they were frustrated with the pace of the previous 2600 pages.

Depends on the perspective of the viewer. When shown from a male character's perspective the camera won't show female Aes Sedai weaves. When from a female character's perspective, they'll show the weaves. CGI.

The segregation of the Power by sex is one of the more interesting aspects of the books.

>it's a Marilin Gemalphin's cats get an extra serving of milk episode

I couldn't finish the series because of how unlikeable the women were. Every woman is written as a complete know it all bitch

The entire programme should be from the perspective of a non-channeler. Weaving the five powers would look really dumb onscreen.

I think he did a decent job ending it.

Jordan himself got things going again in Book 11. As a direct response to how much people hated book 10 no-less.

I still wonder how much of the Sanderson trilogy could have been cut down. I've heard arguments that you can legit condense everything he did down to a single book. (ala the original 12 book run Jordan wanted)

Brown Ajah = GOAT

I know, that's why I want a premium channel to get it. A Song of Ice and Fire only has 2 more books to go, they can't milk it forever and it'd be in HBO's best interest to bring in Wheel of Time right on Game of Throne's heels after it ends.

They could actually stagger them, show Wheel of time between seasons of Game of Thrones, keep that appetite for fantasy sated, keep those subscriptions for HBO now going year round rather than cancelling when game of thrones is done for the year.

They should capitalize on the audience they've captured with Game of Thrones. They could acquire a lot of fantasy series and make it a regular thing.

It tweaks my autism that they didn't end with 13.

>I still wonder how much of the Sanderson trilogy could have been cut down. I've heard arguments that you can legit condense everything he did down to a single book

I think you could get it down to 2. Towers of Midnight has a few redundant parts that are overly long that could be cut. Plus the Final Battle itself is like 90% of a Memory of Light.

Also, one book was never going to happen, even if Jordan lived.

Bookstores have really been pushing back against really big, phone book style fantasy stories for the last decade. They eat up shelf space and can only be stocked/shelved a few at a time.

>that fucking pipe
What did he mean by this?

That was one reason why I finally stopped. I liked some elements of it and I'd never put a book down before it, so it took a lot.

The horrible women, the three lead men coming through so many extraordinary experiences and still being clueless wimps to the women, the repeating a character's body language quirk five times per page (crossed arms beneath breasts, tugged braid, etc.), and most of all, the long stretches of nothing happening. I think the best example of this is when I read a thousand-page book and 1/3 of it documented the channeling girls joining a circus and taking a boat down a river while having absolutely no relevance to the plot or developing as characters. Just pointless, boring bullshit, ~300 pages of it, to get them from one point on the map to another. I think I quit early into the next book on from that.

At least I got to read the Shaido getting BTFOed, which felt like (and general consensus seems to agree) the high point of the entire series.

I still wonder how much of the Jordan undecology could have been cut down. I've heard arguments that you can legit condense everything he did down to 7 books.

There's nudity throughout the series, as I said in my other post, every single novice testing to be accepted is "clad in the light" meaning she has to walk through the arches naked. When she's inside the visions of the Ter'angreal, she's wearing clothes, and her change of clothes kind of helps indicate where she is. It'd be a shame if the show doesn't faithfully show Nynaeve's accepted test.

When they go through the pillars in Rhuidean, they're also naked. Something about the accepted test and rhuidean pillars ter'angreal doesn't react well with clothing or objects, only living flesh goes through them okay.

Also when they elect a new Amyrlin all the sitters strip to the waist to show that there are no men among them.

There's also rampant lesbianism in the tower, among novices/accepted it's a thing that is not really encouraged but is known about and they look the other way.. they call it "pillow friends", and among the Reds, many of them are man hating dykes.

Also like I said, Mat's relationship with Queen Tylin was highly sexual. She dressed him up as her manwhore and then would tie him down and cut off his clothes with her wedding knife and then fuck his brains out.

To say there's no sex in WoT, is inaccurate.

The only real difference between A Song of Ice and Fire and Wheel of Time in that regards is that they don't mention brothels and whoring in Wheel of Time, and they don't use the word cunt.

Instead the soldiers and Mat are all diddling tavern girls, and Mat has a taste for the Thicc ones.

>Bookstores have really been pushing back against really big, phone book style fantasy stories for the last decade.

This is sadly true.

Bookstores have way more control than people realize on the publishing business. Basically anything B&N wants, B&N gets. Publishers have to bend the knee if they want their stuff carried.

However, since e-books have become so damn popular for fantasy fiction (I believe like 70%+ of all sales now) it's possible that we may see a return to long book length. Size doesn't matter in that arena.

they describe it quite vividly in the books.. a "bar" of bright white light, like a liquid light, so you know, a white beam of light, and when it touches someone, they disintigrate like a Star Trek phaser effect, leaving a burning afterimage that dissipates into motes that scatter and disappear.

It's weird to me how many people seem to want this.

I would have double the books if possible. I loved Jim Rigney's storytelling and wish there were much more of it.

All of the filler is there to validate the existence of non-Rand characters.

yeah, the thread burning from the pattern is more important than the physical flash-flash-bang-bang, and the effect is leaves, ripping a hole in the pattern

how could such a thing be shown through the screen to the viewers?

Will they have Rand go full edgy?
>Cadsuane, do you believe that I could kill you? Right here, right now, without using a sword or the Power? Do you believe that if I simply willed it, the Pattern would bend around me and stop your heart?

I don't think so. If a competent premium cable channel picks it up they can have a least 14 seasons of a profitable show if they do it right. The series is complete too so there's no guesswork as the show surpasses the books, Game of Thrones and A Song of Ice and Fire are diverging at this point, so they're having to make gambles on what actually happens based on what George has told them, and George may change his mind and the books and tv show may end up telling quite different stories by the time the books are done.

Wheel of Time on the other hand... they know exactly what's supposed to happen.

>it's a Thom blows out his moustaches episode

Not a whole lot.

It became readily apparent by book 3 that the story was never going to finish in only six (or so) books. I believe Jordan even himself admits this during on of the press tours for one of the middle books.

It's a story that grew in the telling. In hindsight, Jordan should have had it planned out a little better so it didn't drag as much during book 8-10.

I hope so. That line is baller as fuck.

Of course viewers love stupid edgy shit

>didn't drag as much during book 8-10
Book 9 was great.

they need to show it occasionally, it's one of the more vivid and interesting aspects of the books. Occassionally show things from a channeler's PoV so that we can see the weaves.

Like when the Asha'man ambassadors come to Salidar, and one of them can sense a man channeling (being Aran'gar, who's a man's soul in a beautiful woman's body, yes, there is one trap in the series).. that kind of detail is important.

Rand no longer needs the Power to do things. He can just manifest his thoughts into reality. He's the Creator's avatar on Earth afterall.

Gee I wonder where he stole that from

>it will be a sequel to take down the budget

The pipe was a thought-activated self-lighting ter'angreal. Alivia was very thoughtful in arranging his escape kit.

>lol look at how powerful i am

No, actually, it's just a hammy powertrip.

that part can be established the first time Rand uses Balefire and Moiraine slaps the shit out of him and explains what he just did and the dangers of it.

The main conceit of the story is ultimate defense against any plagiarism claim. The plot device of ta'veren also protects against any claim of cliche or deus ex machina. Robert Jordan was way smarter than you.

Meh, 9 was slightly better I give you that.

Overall I think the general consensus is:

Books 1-6
God-tier fantasy

Book 7
Okish

Book 8-9
Downward spiral

Book 10
Low point for the series. Only about 3 real pages of story progression. Plot basically stalled and this is the point where their was serious discussion on if Jordan was even going to be able to complete the saga.

Book 11
Redemption tier. Jordan got back on track and started building towards the ending.

Books 12-14
Sanderson completes with notes left by Jordan. Lot of guess work goes into Towers but it's readable an makes sense in the overall picture. Ending is exactly how Jordan wanted it. Epilogue is straight from him and one of the last things he wrote before he died.

>TGS, ToM
>Rand's power level skyrockets
>Becomes super ta'veren
>Orchards bloom when he passes through
>Darkfriends commit suicide when he's within a mile
>Can detect Darkfriends with a glance
>Threatens to bend the Pattern and stop Cadsuane's heart without channeling
>Emanates aura of Light that even non channelers can see

>AMoL
>that stuff? was just clever weaves
>oh but now Rand learns to weave the pattern for reals
I don't want to take too extreme of a position on this, but Brandon Sanderson should be hanged.

and you expect people to remember it throughout the seasons?
tv viewers do not have similar capability to follow events compared to book readers, as we can see from ASOIAF/Got

Opens with Black Ajah turned forcibly to the Light. Great scene.

Perrin's wife stolen. This is the shittiest plot thread in the entire series, worse than even Olver's story, but the setup here is interesting, even thrilling.

Darkfriend bro manipulates Elayne. Rare example of the dark side showing actual cunning.

Rand awkwardly formalizes his polygamous arrangement. Hilarious scene.

Forsaken decide to kill Rand before he can cleanse the source. You could cut the suspense with a knife following that brief interlude.

Mat: gets the ball rolling on his Dragons idea, is raped by Tylin (who is then eviscerated by a gholam), rescues Joline from Seanchan enslavement, learns Tuon's identity and marries her. Classic Mat!

Powerless Rand stealth murders rogue Asha'man in Far Madding aided by Cadsuane's array of Q-like gadgets, and Lan. One of my favourite bits in the series.

The gang cleanses the source while under siege from every Forsaken. Epic.

Winter's Heart was fucking awesome. Not one dull moment to be found. Possibly the best entry in the entire series.

Well at least in AMoL he's not ridiculously overpowered.

God I hate fantasy/anime fans and their obsession with powerlevels.

>Sanderson completes with notes left by Jordan
He didn't read the notes.

>Question: Has it gotten any easier to dig through RJ’s very personalized and, in some ways, maddeningly genius organizational system?

>Brandon Sanderson: You’d actually have to ask that of Maria and Alan since they are the ones who dig through it. I gave up on that after about two months into the first book because I couldn't make heads or tails of it; I just started asking questions of them.

theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=894

>I was working on Towers of Midnight, and I sent an email to Maria saying, "I can't keep track of who is with Perrin. Do you have just a list somewhere?"... Maria comes back and says, "Well I just dug this out of the notes; I hadn't seen it before. Maybe this will help. It's a file called 'With Perrin'". I went, "Oh, good." And I opened it up...no, that's not what it is; it is the names of all the Two Rivers folk who haven't been named in the books yet. [laughter] ...who are traveling with Perrin, and often a little bit about each of them, and a list of several dozen names of people who haven't been named yet. That's the level of detail we're talking about with this, and it was a challenge; it was a challenge on all of us.

>Fortunately, we did have Maria and Alan ... and I would focus my writing, particularly in first draft, on just getting the emotional content of a scene down, right? Get the narrative flow down, make sure it's working, and I would try to get all the voices of the characters right, but I wouldn't worry as much about continuity. I would then send it to Maria, and she would send back this thing with all of these notes saying, "Oh Brandon. Oh Brandon, you can't do this." "Oh Brandon, you killed her." "Oh Brandon..." ... And then we would try and fix all of the problems caused by that, and that's kind of how it went.

theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7749

OH FUCK
MAJOR NOSTALGIA OVERLOAD

The retcon is what's atrocious.

Brandon Sanderson turned WoT into a literal shonen anime. Not saying he should be hanged, but Brandon Sanderson should be hanged.

It'll get talked about more than once.. such as when Forsaken go to the Bore, Shaitan admits in frustration that he cannot restore people from Balefire, also Cadsuane lectures him on it, in particular when he balefires an entire castle full of people just to kill one intended person. I mean he just erased hundreds of people at once.... and he didn't even get the right person.

yeah the only books in the series that really crawled were 7, 8, and 10.

hmm, maybe

maybe we could get some nice Balefire-memes that enters popular culture :>

*tugs braid*

Books 1-3 were shitty, boring, cliche fantasy.

He read the key points. He just couldn't go into the detailed minutiae that all the remaining had. (he was on contract to meet a certain date)

Getting Maria and Alan to spot check him with the notes while he wrote from Jordan's outline was great idea. It kept the project moving and prevented it from stalling with organization of the remaining notes.

Too bad Maria and Alan used fan wikis instead of the notes and were just as clueless as he was.

A fucking fan poring through the notes caught tons of shit these guys had no clue about, like the fact that Mazrim Taim was originally intended to be Demandred and was Asmodean's killer. Team Jordan was a joke.

>Mazrim Taim was originally intended to be Demandred and was Asmodean's killer.

Sauce?

Legit curious. I've never heard anything about this.

As long as they don't cut out the bountiful tavern frolicking that accurs throughout the series then im happy. Taverns were comfy as fuck senpai

>it's a Mat goes boozing and gambling with a thicc tavern wench in his lap episode

theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8767

It was a popular fan theory and would have fit the text. But RJ explicitly debunked it during various readings. I don't know if he changed his mind, and Taim was originally going to be Demandred, but it wasn't an invention of Sanderson's.

I thought Bao the Wyld was cool as fuck anyway though.

They'd have to pretty much erase Mat as a character to not have it, and Thom too, because that's kind of how they managed their journey for awhile, playing the flute and juggling for their supper and a bed in the hayloft at taverns from town to town. Thom taught them cause that was the safest way to travel.. Gleeman's apprentices.